PDA

View Full Version : Documenting Windows: everything seen in All Programs

DJofSD
03-19-2013, 01:53 PM
Obviously, not concerned about Windows 8 since Microsoft has more or less done away with the Start button.

Background: my day-in, day-out PC is having "issues." It has a MoBo with a lot of integrated functions which includes the video. The video is giving me an occasional indication it is flaky. I've been around the block before with MoBo like this and I am not going to hassle with it -- that PC is as good as toast. And while I can, I am migrating to a newer PC.

My question is about completely documenting what software is installed.

I've found different ways to generate some information. Mostly, these are nothing more than a utility which scans the Windows registry for what has been added under the uninstall subkey. That's fine. It's a beginning but it is not what I want.

What I want is what the msinfo32.exe shows under Program Groups. Except for one little thing: it only shows information down to the folder level and does not list the actual short cuts.

For example, what I see for a nice little utility named WinDirStat is 3 items when the Start button is used and the WinDirStat folder is expanded. These are: Help (ENG), Uninstall WinDirStat and WinDirStat, each with their own little icon.

However, msinfo32.exe produces only two items: (1) Group Name: Start Menu\Programs\WinDirStat; Name: Public:Start Menu\Programs\WinDirStat; (2) Group Name: Start Menu\Programs\WinDirStat; Name: <computer name>\<user account name>:Start Menu\Programs\WinDirStat.

Does any one know of a utility which produces a list of items which reflects 100% what is seen when the Start button, All Programs is used?

Red Knave
03-19-2013, 05:10 PM
One way might be to go to the Windows Search or Windows Explorer and look for all files that have a .lnk extension.
You'll likely get a bunch of chaff with the wheat but should at least get you started.

DJofSD
03-19-2013, 06:24 PM
Yes, that did help, and, yes, you were correct about the chaff and the wheat.

Native Texan III
03-22-2013, 07:39 PM
I recently moved to Windows 8.
I just used FastStone Capture to make screen captures of the Start Menu and Explorer C:\Program Files
Worked very well.

Dave Schwartz
03-23-2013, 12:27 AM
I am noyt sure if this is what you are looking for but even if it isn't do a search for BelArc Advisor or just go to this link: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Every install should have this great (free) program.

Dave

DJofSD
03-23-2013, 08:59 AM
I am noyt sure if this is what you are looking for but even if it isn't do a search for BelArc Advisor or just go to this link: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Every install should have this great (free) program.

Dave
Wow! that looks like what I wanted. But, too late. I'm more or less migrated to the new system and cleaning up the drive on the old.

I ended up using msinfo32.exe in a couple of ways. First, export everything into a text file to more or less document the state of the PC. Next, under Software Environment, Program Groups, using the edit menu to Select All followed by Copy then paste into a spreadsheet. I enhanced the spreadsheet with some additional columns for details of the program such as if there was a DVD used for the installation or if it was from a download. And, if from a download, the web site URL and the location on my system of the file used to install the app.

It created a nice check list and forced an inventory to be taken. Thankfully, no surprises.

The anal retentive nature of my efforts reveals my background and training.

Thanks to all for the ideas and information.