PDA

View Full Version : Iraq Re-construction contracts.

Suff
02-11-2004, 05:48 PM
For those that asked and are genuinely curious.

I'm in-line to go to work in Iraq. A company in Kuwait is processing my VISA to work in Iraq. Basra. 80 miles north of Kuwait city. 300 miles from Baghdad. This is the opportunity that is lilkey to have me leaving inside of 2 weeks. Perhaps as soon as 8 days.

I've quieted on the updates because they are coming in via e-mail rapidly. And even more so. A decision like this is very personal and serious and I do not want to put myself at risk of discussing my thoughts publicly at this point...and the direct information I have can be very unsettling. At a time like this a man can need to be left alone with his thoughts.

The internet allows me to be around, But I'm studying so much information right now,, I'm all consumed. Last night I jumped in the ARTICLE RULES thread just to post something and get my mind off it for a couple of hours.

I have another opportunity to go as a GOVT Contract employee in an unknown area ( unkown at this time). Thats an offer I have in Hand .

Its unsafe for private industry. Thats #1.

Now your looking at providing CAMPS, (min cities) for the Major projects.. securing transportation routes... the facilities...

You get the picture. Impossible in an urban environment and expensive in a Rural Environment.

No banking system.....
No qualifed contractors for scope of work.
100's of issues being addressed moment to moment.

ljb
02-11-2004, 06:06 PM
Suff,
You da man. Good Luck.
My wife worries about your well being.

Suff
02-11-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by ljb
Suff,
You da man. Good Luck.
My wife worries about your well being.

How touching. Thank her. Thats the kindest thing ever said to me on PA. It had a humanizing effect on my relationships here..

John
02-11-2004, 09:31 PM
Hey SUFF,

Before you leave can I borrow that book.

BETTING ON MYSELF
Adventures of a Horseplayer and Publisher
By Steven Crist

My libray has it out and a waiting list too.

Suff
02-12-2004, 05:12 PM
Got the call.

I'm going. The final phase is my Contract including Compensation, terms and conditions of employment. Those are enroute with ETA of Tuesday. The Basra job. I've been instructed to perpare for 90 days away. Leaving March 4th or 11th.

I now begin closing up shop. Its on.

This is all I'll say until I have my contract and Tickets on tues/wed.

Secretariat
02-12-2004, 06:25 PM
Best to you Suff. Get the dough and get back quick.

kenwoodallpromos
02-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Good Luck! Make sure you learn all you can about the Brits' tracks while there!

John
02-12-2004, 10:22 PM
YA Mike,

Hop over to Italy and say hello to my Paisano. Have a nice dish of pasta

Suff
02-17-2004, 04:14 PM
Departing March 5th, 2004
AIRLINE CITY (AIRPORT) ARRIVE DEPART AIRLINE and FLIGHT #
Boston (BOS) 9:00 AM AMERICAN AIRLINES #156
London (LHR)* 8:20 PM 9:55 PM AMERICAN AIRLINES
Operated by: BRITISH AIRWAYS 777 Arrive Kuwait (KWI) 6:55 AM

Done and done.

16 days.

I'll probably be shutting everything down on or about the 2nd of March. Gives me 2 more weekends to hang around here and try and hit a pik4 before I go.

I think no one believed me when I said I'd hoist a PA sign. I was only kidding around. Getting to this Board will not be in my top 100 Priorities. I have no idea what e-mail or internet access I will have,,,and it was never discussed. And I would'nt risk my employment or security to go off course at all. I think I'll be gone a while. I'll miss this place... Big part of my life the last 18 months or so.

With a week to go I will post my Telephone number and those that want to give me a call with well wish's can ring me up then.
It went official 10 hours ago. I gave my notice at work today and I gave my landlord notice an hour ago. no more maybes. I'm going.

Bubbles
02-17-2004, 04:20 PM
Suff...

Best to you from me and SilverSow. Come back quick, board won't be the same without ya here.

Suff
02-17-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Bubbles
Come back quick, board won't be the same without ya here.

Never told you I was on the US airforce Boxing team did I? lol. Yea boxed all over Europe. One year. I was never much good and went 3-8 that year. The 3 I won, I won by Knock out. All 11 I was getting my clock cleaned.. I rememeber what the Boxing coach wrote me when he informed me I was not being brought back.

Your tenacity is both admirable and disturbing. You willingness to endure pain and embarresment simply to challange an opponent that is bigger , quicker and stronger will serve you well in life. But not in the boxing ring.

All my life I've been a 3 and 8 kinda guy. Nothing special. But I always try and leave a mark.

What we do here? Huh..? we had a lil interboard... we had a lil toga trip.. We started a pik4 shing ding...we had some NYC trips,, we rumbled, we tumbled..and we had a whole lotta laughs. Mark left.

Shacopate
02-20-2004, 02:49 AM
Suff,

You've always been a straight shooter and I respect that.

Good luck.

BIG RED
02-20-2004, 11:17 AM
Suff, was looking forward to meeting you in person at Suffolk Downs this year, with them running in the good seasons now. You seem to be a real character and a regular joe.

Good luck over there, the danger is very real, and God bless you. TOM