PDA

View Full Version : Dwight D. Eisenhower War hero Republican President

ljb
02-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Taken from Eisenhowers farewell address 1961
"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the militaryindustrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together."

Opinions ?

Secretariat
02-11-2004, 04:26 PM
Ike? What did he know about war?

so.cal.fan
02-11-2004, 04:39 PM
I don't really remember much about Ike, long time ago, but I heard my Dad say once, he was more like a Democrat.
In fact he was recuited by the Republican Party in 1952, after a long, long stretch of Democratic rulers in the White House.
They knew they had a great shot at winning so they wanted to go with a really popular guy, as nearly everyone liked Ike.
I do remember Walter Cronkite really liked Ike.....and Walter was/is not a Conservative.

schweitz
02-11-2004, 05:39 PM
As long as we are going back in time:
John Kerry in 1970---"I consider myself an internationalist and believe NATO should have responsibility for deploying US troops and I would disband the CIA."

ljb
02-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Well this is a start three replies to the title, no replies to the text.
And to Schwietz, Lefty started a thread where you can spout the positives of Kerry.

Secretariat
02-11-2004, 09:18 PM
Not much to reply on it lbj. It's spot on.