PDA

View Full Version : Preakness....1st Timer

PICSIX
03-17-2013, 08:27 AM
I will be attending the Preakness (first trip to Baltimore) with my family this year. I would greatly appreciate recommendations for hotels, eateries and parking. I will be driving from North Carolina and don't mind parking near the track if it is reasonably safe (have done this many times at the Kentucky Derby).

Does anyone know the name of the restaurant that is famous for their crab-cake sandwich...owned by an older couple and the wife makes them by hand (saw it on TV once but can't remember the name)??

Thanks,

Mike

OTM Al
03-17-2013, 10:15 AM
I will be attending the Preakness (first trip to Baltimore) with my family this year. I would greatly appreciate recommendations for hotels, eateries and parking. I will be driving from North Carolina and don't mind parking near the track if it is reasonably safe (have done this many times at the Kentucky Derby).

Does anyone know the name of the restaurant that is famous for their crab-cake sandwich...owned by an older couple and the wife makes them by hand (saw it on TV once but can't remember the name)??

Thanks,

Mike

There is plenty of parking lots around the track that is absolutely fine. You can probably pre-purchase for some of the lots if you would like to be close. I just order my parking along with my tickets.

lamboguy
03-17-2013, 12:07 PM
i will be staying at the Mariott Inner Harbour. it is about 13 miles away from the track. i will have a limo for the friday and saturday. if you need a ride over i would be more than happy to take you and your family back and forth.

PICSIX
03-17-2013, 02:35 PM
i will be staying at the Mariott Inner Harbour. it is about 13 miles away from the track. i will have a limo for the friday and saturday. if you need a ride over i would be more than happy to take you and your family back and forth.

I couldn't do that to you, Lambo. I do appreciate the offer.

Mike

cj
03-17-2013, 06:02 PM
I couldn't do that to you, Lambo. I do appreciate the offer.

Mike

You'd wind up on the Light Rail.

Not to nitpick lambo, but there is no way in the world it is 13 miles from downtown to the racetrack.

PICSIX, you don't want to stay near the track. Downtown is nice, but will be expensive. I'd recommend you stay by the airport somewhere and drive in or take the Light Rail.

speed
03-17-2013, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=cj]You'd wind up on the Light Rail.

LOL, That hotel is 5 or 6 miles to Pimlico by memory.

JustRalph
03-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Here's a tip. Don't follow your GPS between Washington and Baltimore. If you do you will end up in terrible traffic between the two. You don't say when you are coming up. I recommend you dont drive between Richmond and Baltimore during the day. And that means from 5a to 8p to avoid commuters.

Take 95 up to Alexandria Va area then go east on 50 to 97 (all freeway) go north on 97 to 695 and work your way around.

You might want to schedule yourself a few extra hours to get into your parking spot and make sure your tank is full :lol:

If you want the best crab cake you will find it all over MD, just read the signs :lol:

Cut the crap and go here

http://www.pappascrabcakes.com/main/Restaurants.asp

Btw, everything good about Baltimore can be found out from CJ's Dad.......and OTM Al is a traveling genius when it comes to track trips.

That Limo idea is pretty sharp for that long limp in to park :ThmbUp:

OTM Al
03-17-2013, 07:46 PM
I always go to Tio Pepe at some point when I'm there but that place looks pretty solid Ralph.

stu
03-17-2013, 07:49 PM
As someone who travels back n forth from the Laurel area to the Colonial Downs area weekly during the summer I suggest a different route -

I-95 to Richmond
I-295 to the East around Richmond

then the Bowling Green bypass

I think it is the Hanover exit 41 US-301 north/VA-2 north

MD-3 north
I-97 north

Even with slower speed limits and more stop lights, it is usually 30 to 90 minutes faster. I can't stand 0-5 mph stop and go driving when the speed limit is 70 mph.

I only take I-95 between DC and Richmond by moonlight

PICSIX
03-18-2013, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone...I went ahead and purchased parking passes on line and will stay out by the airport. :ThmbUp:

Mike

cj's dad
03-18-2013, 12:12 PM
The Pikesville Hilton is 15 minutes at most from Pimlico. It is a very nice hotel.

ralph's advice about the crab cakes at pappas Restaurant is 100% correct.

If you end up staying near the airport, there is another Pappas in the area. Same quality crabcake; same folks own the place as the other.

PICSIX
03-18-2013, 02:19 PM
The Pikesville Hilton is 15 minutes at most from Pimlico. It is a very nice hotel.

ralph's advice about the crab cakes at pappas Restaurant is 100% correct.

If you end up staying near the airport, there is another Pappas in the area. Same quality crabcake; same folks own the place as the other.

Thanks, mouth watering for those crab cakes already :ThmbUp:

Mike