PDA

View Full Version : FREE IRS TAX FILING

HUSKER55
03-15-2013, 04:20 PM
is there such a thing for federal taxes? I thought there was but when I get to the end they want $40.

thanks!
husker55 :)

frankieb
03-15-2013, 08:39 PM
is there such a thing for federal taxes? I thought there was but when I get to the end they want $40.

thanks!
husker55 :)
Yes as long as your not filing long form. Completetax.com is what I used the last few years. Federal is free and the state is like $20.00.

forced89
03-17-2013, 11:06 AM
It depends on how much you make. Go to www.irs.gov (http://www.irs.gov) There will be a list of about 20 or 30 firms who will prepare and file your taxes for free. They all have different parameters as to how much you make. State filing does cost.

MikeH
03-17-2013, 11:25 AM
I'll put in a shameless plug here for the company that I buy my tax software from: 1040.com run by Drake software. Free if your AGI is less than $57,000 and unlimited states are $30. I've (obviously) never used their online program, but Drake is a very high quality company and ALL of their employees are U.S. based (they're located in Franklin, North Carolina.) Here's the link:

https://www.1040.com/irsfreefile/home/

I might point out that, depending on the stare, you might be able to copy your IRS return data into a state return fairly easily and do the state yourself. Drake has a page with all the state's websites:

http://www.1040.com/state-taxes/state-tax-department-websites/

I'm curious as to whether anyone on this board has used the California Franchise tax free e-file and how did it work?

HUSKER55
03-18-2013, 01:37 AM
thanks for the info. Mike, I am over 52. why would that make a difference? another question is, how come all of the online filing websites want a copy of last years return?

is there a good reason or am I being hustled?

Thanks!

MikeH
03-18-2013, 02:07 AM
Husker55:

Not to get personal here... :-) Are you referring to your age over 52 or your AGI (which is the sum of a lot of things, but mostly your W2, interest, dividends, some SS benefits, net income from your business, capital gains, etc...)?

This $57,000 limit is on your AGI: I think you could be 100 years old and they wouldn't care. :-)

Are you sure they want last year's return? I'm not sure how they would get it, or what they would do with it when they got it. I always ask for last year's return for a new client, but I'm providing an entirely different service. I need last year's return in case there are unused amounts from last year that you might be able to "carryforward" into this year, but I wouldn't expect to find that on a simple return. Do you "input" last year's return? Has anyone else that's filed online had to do this? (You can see how little I know about online filing.)

Has anyone else filed online and had this request? I can go into the Drake Software forum and ask them what they need.

forced89
03-18-2013, 09:28 AM
I have filed for myself and my 3 children using on line services from Turbo Tax, Tax Act and HR Block (and maybe others) for years and have never had to provide anything from prior year returns except the prior year's Adjusted Gross Income amount to identify myself (or my children on their returns) to the IRS.