PDA

View Full Version : Cheltenham

horses4courses
03-15-2013, 10:08 AM
You don't see too many horses that make your jaw drop.
Just saw a novice hurdler named Our Conor win the Triumph Hurdle,
which is the top race for 4 year olds in National Hunt racing in the UK, that sent chills down my spine.

By a US sire (Jeremy) who I've never heard of, and trained in Ireland by former jockey Dessie Hughes, this horse beat a top field of young hurdlers by 15 lengths - and with ease. Up near the pace the entire 2 miles, he kicked clear on the home turn, and made it look like the others were standing still. Amazing performance.

If this fellow stays sound, we will hear plenty about him in years to come.
Big white face, and four white socks to boot - easy horse to spot in a race.
Our Conor should be a factor in next year's Champion Hurdle.

The biggest race of the meet, the Cheltenham Gold Cup, runs at 1120am ET.
It's raining steadily there now, so the ground is getting pretty soft.
Bobs Worth, Sir Des Champs, Long Run and Silviniaco Conti are the principals in what should be a great race.

nearco
03-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Gold Cup G1, Chase, 5yo+, 3m2f

y3q6tWuMokk

nearco
03-16-2013, 10:09 AM
Triumph Hurdle G1, Juveniles, Hurdles, 2m1f

XHgdMeveCaA

nearco
03-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Champion Hurdle, G1
Hurdles, 2m1f

zlqZJkwWNHs

nearco
03-16-2013, 10:23 AM
Champion Chase, G1
Chase, 2miles

BQIOAhPkC2A

nearco
03-16-2013, 10:36 AM
By a US sire (Jeremy) who I've never heard of, and trained in Ireland by former jockey Dessie Hughes, this horse beat a top field of young hurdlers by 15 lengths - and with ease. Up near the pace the entire 2 miles, he kicked clear on the home turn, and made it look like the others were standing still. Amazing performance.

Jeremy was actually bred in Ireland, but was foaled in the USA as his dam was send to KY to be bred to Dixieland Band. He was a decent, if not outstanding, miler.

Our Conor, like most horses you see running in a Juvenile Hurdle, is bred for flat racing. Purpose bred jumpers would not be racing that young (well, unless of course they are French bred horses).

dkithore
03-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Nearco,

I don't do hurdlers in UK but quite certainly interesting posts.

DK

NJ Stinks
03-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Thanks for posting video of the Gold Cup, Nearco. I listened to the race live but never saw a replay. I bet $20 to win and $20 to place on Silviniaco Conti and now I feel like I have closure actually seeing him fall at the 20th fence. :(