PDA

View Full Version : Scale Weights vs. Handicaps

Pace Cap'n
02-10-2004, 09:37 PM
The weekly poll question on the DRF website is:

Would you favor all Grade 1 handicaps being changed to be run at scale weights instead?

What are "scale weights"? Whose scale? What scale?

Is this something that might keep B. Frankel from bemoaning his runners weight assignments?

http://www.drf.com/

kenwoodallpromos
02-10-2004, 10:36 PM
Sounds like the charts of weights put out by the Jockey Club or NTRA when competing horses are of different: sex, age, etc. mostly based on which calendar month the race is in. You should find the charts online somewhere. / Frankel- Some track officials assign unreasonably high weights on horses that win like Azeri, so a 15lb difference in the same race can be found/ That is why trainers like the scale better, but in January there can be big weight differences in age of horses. / I found some horses have a weight barrier, like 121 lb for some cheapies. / I think a lot of jockeys want weight limits raised. I think smaller weight differernces on the scale would work out ok. Most trainers I read about and bettrs are overly concerned about weight.

ceejay
02-11-2004, 05:46 PM
The poll is likely a follow-up to Crist's column advocating an end to G1 handicaps.

karlskorner
02-11-2004, 06:43 PM
According to NTRA: Fixed weights to be carried by horses in a race according to age, distance,sex and time of year.

State of Illinois at their site has a complete chart of the above