PDA

View Full Version : Rider change for Flashback

Bullet Plane
03-14-2013, 06:29 PM
As expected,

Flashback gets a rider change to GoGo.

If you'll remember, GoGo got bumped by Baffert when he failed to deliver the groceries on Lookin at Lucky in his pursuit of the Kentucky Derby a couple years ago.

GoGo now gets a chance at redemption!

Did Leparoux make a bad move? Or is the horse just hard to rate?

Was it just horseracing? Stay tuned...

Striker
03-14-2013, 06:37 PM
From Bloodhorse:

Baffert said he wished Leparoux had kept Flashback on the inside rather than allowing the headstrong colt to engage with Goldencents down the the backside.

"I think he ran well despite all that," Baffert said. "He had a nice, tough race and he got tired at the end, considering he went so fast, but I think we learned a lot about him today. I think we were just intimidated by the free speed today, and the rail, so you learn from racing. That's what these preps are all about."

letswastemoney
03-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Flashback ran the best race. It is a shame Leparoux has become the scapegoat for doing what he had to do in order not to let Goldencents slip away.

iceknight
03-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Flashback ran the best race. It is a shame Leparoux has become the scapegoat for doing what he had to do in order not to let Goldencents slip away. Leparoux will get a different horse and then have his chance at redemption. However, overall I think this will be Corey Nakatani's year at the Triple crown races

classhandicapper
03-15-2013, 09:21 AM
Sometimes it's hard to tell whether it's the rider or the horse than makes a premature move into a hot pace. In this case I thought it was the rider that decided he didn't want to potentially get pinned down inside. So he moved outside and then all hell broke loose. But either way, IMO Flashback was much the best horse. He put away a very fast sprinter and another quality speed horse before getting caught late. Goldenscents was also not that bad. He may have even been 2nd best. The real question is whether either of the two can relax and stretch their speed. IMO, the jury is still out on Flashback, but I'd say "no" to Goldenscents.

burnsy
03-15-2013, 10:56 AM
From Bloodhorse:

Baffert said he wished Leparoux had kept Flashback on the inside rather than allowing the headstrong colt to engage with Goldencents down the the backside.

"I think he ran well despite all that," Baffert said. "He had a nice, tough race and he got tired at the end, considering he went so fast, but I think we learned a lot about him today. I think we were just intimidated by the free speed today, and the rail, so you learn from racing. That's what these preps are all about."

I think hes dead on with this statement. That was the first "real" prep race with all the elements of a fast pace and full field with varying styles. The other races have been one or two horse affairs other than that cattle chase where the two hundred dollar horse won. Baffert seems to be sitting on two big horses this year. Surprise? Surprise? i guess? Who cares?? the horse ran good and now you work out the bugs. Gomez is a better fit for this type of horse either way, i don't have to be Bob Baffert to figure that out.........;)

Robert Fischer
03-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Sometimes it's hard to tell whether it's the rider or the horse than makes a premature move into a hot pace. In this case I thought it was the rider that decided he didn't want to potentially get pinned down inside. So he moved outside and then all hell broke loose. But either way, IMO Flashback was much the best horse. He put away a very fast sprinter and another quality speed horse before getting caught late. Goldenscents was also not that bad. He may have even been 2nd best. The real question is whether either of the two can relax and stretch their speed. IMO, the jury is still out on Flashback, but I'd say "no" to Goldenscents.

Agree 100%.

Also, and it may be too subtle, but Flashback breaking a little sluggishly may have caused a little bit of urging and a bit of an unnecessary rush into the first turn. You can kind of ease up through the first turn with a tactical horse on the rail. -You make up ground by being inside without using horse. How many times have we seen Dominguez or someone play the first turn?
Then they came off the rail on the turn and that was that...
$120K and 30 points.

Agree that Goldencents was likely 2nd best. Going forward, I'm just as interested in Hear The Ghost. Unfortunately he'll be overbet, but his fractions were legit enough. It's not like he lugged home in 7seconds, he went 6.20. He also did significantly more running than the other closer, and he looked good physically doing it. Previous race appeared to be a bit of an illusion where he appeared to get his best stride in the final 1/16th. On trakus, it surprisingly confirms a late acceleration.

Was the track really that fast? 1:42.34 seems pretty fast for a 93 speed rating.

Bullet Plane
03-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Agree 100%.

Also, and it may be too subtle, but Flashback breaking a little sluggishly may have caused a little bit of urging and a bit of an unnecessary rush into the first turn. You can kind of ease up through the first turn with a tactical horse on the rail. -You make up ground by being inside without using horse. How many times have we seen Dominguez or someone play the first turn?
Then they came off the rail on the turn and that was that...
$120K and 30 points.

Agree that Goldencents was likely 2nd best. Going forward, I'm just as interested in Hear The Ghost. Unfortunately he'll be overbet, but his fractions were legit enough. It's not like he lugged home in 7seconds, he went 6.20. He also did significantly more running than the other closer, and he looked good physically doing it. Previous race appeared to be a bit of an illusion where he appeared to get his best stride in the final 1/16th. On trakus, it surprisingly confirms a late acceleration.

Was the track really that fast? 1:42.34 seems pretty fast for a 93 speed rating.

A mile and 1/16 Clm 20,000 for 4 and up went 1:42.80 in the third race on the card. The figure seems about right to me.

Leparoux
03-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Flashback ran the best race. It is a shame Leparoux has become the scapegoat for doing what he had to do in order not to let Goldencents slip away.
:ThmbUp:

iceknight
03-18-2013, 05:17 PM
:ThmbUp: Your username tell it all :lol:

Leparoux
03-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Your username tell it all :lol:
;)