PDA

View Full Version : The $277,050 Calligraphy Staff

OntheRail
03-14-2013, 03:35 AM
Can You Tell The Difference From White House's $277,000 Calligraphy Staff Invite And Fake We Made With Computer?

http://www.wusa9.com/images/300/169/2/assetpool/images/130311053911_WhiteHouseFakeLeftRealRight2.jpg

http://www.wusa9.com/news/article/248315/158/White-House-277K-Staff-Invitations-Vs-Cheap-Fake

http://www.wusa9.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=2222019533001

Cutting White House Tours... was their starting point to save a buck due to sequestration. :rolleyes:

A Graphtec or Roland pen plotter would be a good and cheap replacement for the staff.

tophorse1145
03-14-2013, 04:01 AM
Well, its actually hard for me to tell...but why did you create the fake one?

newtothegame
03-14-2013, 04:30 AM
Maybe because we are paying a staff that ridiculous amount when a computer can do it.......just my thoughts.....:lol:

OntheRail
03-14-2013, 04:47 PM
Maybe because we are paying a staff that ridiculous amount when a computer can do it.......just my thoughts.....:lol:
DING...Ding... DING... ;)

mostpost
03-14-2013, 06:21 PM
No, a computer can not do it. Maybe those folks on the TV could not tell the difference. Maybe you could not tell the difference. Definitely I could not tell the difference. There are people who could. Many people.

Certain things require a certain elegance. When you got married did you select a certain style of invitation and choose the lettering carefully or did you type something on a sheet of paper and run it through a Xerox machine?

Invitations from the White House to foreign heads of state and royalty need to exceed a high standard. You don't send an evite to Queen Elizabeth. She would know the difference between calligraphy and computer.

You pay for quality. $277K is not a ridiculous amount. A calligrapher is an artist just as much as a painter or a musician.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/282869-1

mostpost
03-14-2013, 06:23 PM
DING...Ding... DING... ;)
Do you know what a Philistine is? It's you.

OntheRail
03-14-2013, 09:38 PM
No, a computer can not do it. Maybe those folks on the TV could not tell the difference. Maybe you could not tell the difference. Definitely I could not tell the difference. There are people who could. Many people.

Certain things require a certain elegance. When you got married did you select a certain style of invitation and choose the lettering carefully or did you type something on a sheet of paper and run it through a Xerox machine?

Invitations from the White House to foreign heads of state and royalty need to exceed a high standard. You don't send an evite to Queen Elizabeth. She would know the difference between calligraphy and computer.

You pay for quality. $277K is not a ridiculous amount. A calligrapher is an artist just as much as a painter or a musician.

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/282869-1

Really...

kkAE-Br1Wok#!

OntheRail
03-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Do you know what a Philistine is? It's you.
Do you know what Fiscal Conservatism is? Oh that's right your a Tax and Spend card carrying Dimocrat. Your just pissed of cause you can see the computer writing on the wall... your being outmoded by electronic data transfer... :lol:

OntheRail
03-14-2013, 10:20 PM
This it a Bed Pen Plotter

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8098/8400817399_a6acd6297f_z.jpg
Place a chisel tip pen in the holder load file and wallah... high quality calligraphy at pennies a page and no retirement to fund. ;)

mostpost
03-14-2013, 10:50 PM
Really...

kkAE-Br1Wok#!
Apparently the person who titled that little video clip does not know the difference between compose and copy. Herald is copying. Langston Hughes was composing.

mostpost
03-14-2013, 11:05 PM
This it a Bed Pen Plotter

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8098/8400817399_a6acd6297f_z.jpg
Place a chisel tip pen in the holder load file and wallah... high quality calligraphy at pennies a page and no retirement to fund. ;)
Whatever you call that device, it has nothing to do with calligraphy. Here is the definition of calligraphy from wikipedia.
Calligraphy (from Greek κάλλος kallos "beauty" + γραφή graphẽ "writing") is a type of visual art related to writing. It is the design and execution of lettering with a broad tip instrument or brush
I placed the key words in red-writing and lettering. Your Bed Pen Plotter seems to have the purpose of creating geometric shapes. It would have obvious important uses particularly in architecture, but what is in that picture is not calligraphy.

Tom
03-14-2013, 11:19 PM
$277K is not a ridiculous amount.

Yes, it is.
It is also an insult to the American people who are paying the price for the abuse by this pig of a president, fools in the senate, and a-holes in unions in general.

This pig of a president is preventing tuition assistance for our military by lying about it is necessary because of HIS sequester, but he can still justify spending this much money of stupid, 100% unimportant BS like this?????

Nothing in government demands anything other than fiscal responsibility. Whatever some did for their wedding, they did it with their own money, a fact lost on union boys and democrats apparently.

How about when you put diplomats in dangerous areas, and they beg for protection.....do you suppose a certain amount of security is demanded?
Or, maybe they used the calligraphers to print out the death notices. I guess that makes it ok for you?

jdhanover
03-14-2013, 11:54 PM
While I tend to agree that this cost is a questionable one, it is hardly something new. I would suspect that this staff / expense has been in place for decades. So it is another example of something that the party out of office blames on the party in office...but is both parties issue.

You guys continue to provide me entertainment. Please keep going. :lol::lol::lol:

Found this tidbit too
In fact apparently the same guy currently heading this staff was employed by Bush.

It’s probably worth noting that President Obama didn’t open the Graphics and Calligraphy Office and staff it with his Chicago cronies. Here’s a C-SPAN (http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/282869-1) “Tour of the White House Calligraphy Office” from the Bush administration; Blair was heading it back then, too. I haven’t been able to figure out when it first opened but someone has been hand-writing White House invitations since at least the John Adams administration.

newtothegame
03-15-2013, 12:06 AM
JD, you are right. And, as I have said many times it is BOTH parties that are the current problem.
But, and here is the big difference.....
Obama is out there. almost daily, railing against the big bad businesses and the money they make. Railing against the salaries paid to execs and how they need to give up more in order to pay their "fair" share.
Yet, Obama himself spends like a drunken sailor, with no thoughts about his or his wifes personal spending of our tax dollars!

mostpost
03-15-2013, 12:28 AM
While I tend to agree that this cost is a questionable one, it is hardly something new. I would suspect that this staff / expense has been in place for decades. So it is another example of something that the party out of office blames on the party in office...but is both parties issue.

You guys continue to provide me entertainment. Please keep going. :lol::lol::lol:

Found this tidbit too
In fact apparently the same guy currently heading this staff was employed by Bush.

It’s probably worth noting that President Obama didn’t open the Graphics and Calligraphy Office and staff it with his Chicago cronies. Here’s a C-SPAN (http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/282869-1) “Tour of the White House Calligraphy Office” from the Bush administration; Blair was heading it back then, too. I haven’t been able to figure out when it first opened but someone has been hand-writing White House invitations since at least the John Adams administration.
I posted that same C-Span piece in #5 above, but it's OK that you posted it again. I found a reference to a calligrapher during FDR's Presidency and I am certain one existed decades before that.

In all fairness we have to admit that during John Adams administration there were not a lot of options-certainly no computers. My whole point is that sometimes it should be about something other than money. Sometimes elegance and quality matter. It has nothing to do with Obama. It has everything to do with the Presidency and how it is perceived around the world.

I do not think I ever read any criticism of the Calligraphy Office by Democrats while a Republican was President. I don't think I ever read any criticism of the Calligraphy Office by the Republicans while a Democrat was president until now. Now, when the Republican Party has been taken over by the new Philistines-the Tea Party.

BUT ENOUGH ABOUT THAT. I have a much more important subject to discuss with you. Have you begun thinking about the Pace Advantage Arlington Park Weekend yet? I would hope that we do that again.

I would suggest a weekend in July, but will try to be there whenever.

OntheRail
03-15-2013, 01:53 AM
Whatever you call that device, it has nothing to do with calligraphy. Here is the definition of calligraphy from wikipedia.
Calligraphy (from Greek κάλλος kallos "beauty" + γραφή graphẽ "writing") is a type of visual art related to writing. It is the design and execution of lettering with a broad tip instrument or brush
I placed the key words in red-writing and lettering. Your Bed Pen Plotter seems to have the purpose of creating geometric shapes. It would have obvious important uses particularly in architecture, but what is in that picture is not calligraphy.

You are thick MOPO the above plotter will render whatever code that is sent to it... be it graphic image (as in the torus it is plotting) or text, matters not. As I had stated simply exchange the fine tip pen for a chisel tipped one and send coded text and bing bang boom you have Fancy Writing. :rolleyes:

Tom
03-15-2013, 07:46 AM

Found this tidbit too

No matter which party, there is NO excuse for the expense. Can you understand that not everything is political - some things are just stupid.
The reason Obama is taking heat now is that HE is the pig who is refusing to make a singe spending cut while we wallow in crushing debt.
If you do a search, you will find I called Bush for the 10 billion a month for Iraq. I guess compared to 17 trillion, 10 bil is a drop in the bucket.

Tom
03-15-2013, 07:47 AM
You are thick MOPO the above plotter will render whatever code that is sent to it... be it graphic image (as in the torus it is plotting) or text, matters not. As I had stated simply exchange the fine tip pen for a chisel tipped one and send coded text and bing bang boom you have Fancy Writing. :rolleyes:

Arial

Embrace it.

jdhanover
03-15-2013, 04:27 PM
No matter which party, there is NO excuse for the expense. Can you understand that not everything is political - some things are just stupid.
The reason Obama is taking heat now is that HE is the pig who is refusing to make a singe spending cut while we wallow in crushing debt.
If you do a search, you will find I called Bush for the 10 billion a month for Iraq. I guess compared to 17 trillion, 10 bil is a drop in the bucket.

Ah, cool. I've not seen anything you post be negative towards actions of the Republicans. To me both parties are at fault.

Tom
03-15-2013, 06:35 PM
You have missed a lot of my posts then.
I was all over Rumsfeld days before our troops even got to Baghdad - calling for his firing, and I suggested we ask the World Court to arrest and try Bush for various crap.