PDA

View Full Version : the battery

tonypp
03-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Anyone involved inside horse racing, can you tell me if the battery is used alot.

pele polo
03-12-2013, 08:54 PM
No it isn't.

But interestingly enough Billy Patin sure is winning a lot of races here lately.

The late Jim Jackson (owner of Valhol - '99 Arkansas Derby winner) once told me personally he never believed a battery was used on that horse. I'm not sure one way or another but I'm sure he believed that. One of the more intriguing triple crown stories that come to mind for sure.

pele polo
03-12-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm not saying unequivocally no but when thinking of So Cal, New York, Kee, CD, GP, etc..... the major leagues, I'd say no.

Rillito, Le Bois, Elko, etc, I have no clue what takes place out there, never been and wouldn't want to insult by speculating.

tzipi
03-12-2013, 09:08 PM
I would say no way in the big leagues. I think drugs have taken over the batteries place there. If someone is using a battery, I agree it's probably at the really small time tracks.

Tom
03-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Batteries are used extensively at Saratoga.

sammy the sage
03-12-2013, 09:10 PM
No but it's worth the price of admission to this one degenerate screaming at the big screen during the stretch drive..."give 'em the battery' :D

Zaf
03-12-2013, 11:07 PM
:lol:

JustRalph
03-12-2013, 11:16 PM
[QUOTE=Tom]Batteries are used extensively at Saratoga.[/]

Nice pic

Valuist
03-13-2013, 04:59 PM
It seemed to be more frequent years ago. Saw a couple riders in Chicago get nailed for "electric" rides.

There was a race at the old Sportsmans in the mid 80s where the stewards unloaded all the horses out of the gate. One of the runners was a late scratch and the rider, Richard Strauss, was banned by the stewards for 15 years (he unsuccessfully lobbied to try to come back 15 years later).

Another race at Balmoral in maybe the late 80s; A 30-1 morning line runner who looked awful in the pps, gets bet all the way down to 3-1. He wins flying down the middle of the track. I believe this was a race where the rider (one of the Louviere brothers) stuffed the battery into his pants. Stewards saw it.....goodbye for good.

Red Knave
03-13-2013, 06:16 PM

"Who are those guys?" - Butch Cassidy

Actually I knew a trainer 35 years ago that used a battery when working his young horses. When in a real race he had the jockey yell 'bzzzzzzt' when the got to the top of the stretch and apparently it made a difference.
And you can believe a trainer, right?

;)

tbwinner
03-13-2013, 06:30 PM
Used a lot still in the mornings.

Toss_DeLoser
03-13-2013, 06:38 PM
The late Jim Jackson (owner of Valhol - '99 Arkansas Derby winner) once told me personally he never believed a battery was used on that horse. I'm not sure one way or another but I'm sure he believed that. One of the more intriguing triple crown stories that come to mind for sure.

He told me the same thing and I believed him.

Some reporter asked the trainer where Valhol was going to run next, after his previous race, and he said there was a $500k maiden race in Arkansas.

Wonder if Mr. Cella had something against a maiden winning his race?:eek:

mountainman
03-13-2013, 09:03 PM
Don't EVER let anybody hit you with one..not out of curiosity..not for a joke. You WILL regret it.

wisconsin
03-13-2013, 09:34 PM
It seemed to be more frequent years ago. Saw a couple riders in Chicago get nailed for "electric" rides.

There was a race at the old Sportsmans in the mid 80s where the stewards unloaded all the horses out of the gate. One of the runners was a late scratch and the rider, Richard Strauss, was banned by the stewards for 15 years (he unsuccessfully lobbied to try to come back 15 years later).

Another race at Balmoral in maybe the late 80s; A 30-1 morning line runner who looked awful in the pps, gets bet all the way down to 3-1. He wins flying down the middle of the track. I believe this was a race where the rider (one of the Louviere brothers) stuffed the battery into his pants. Stewards saw it.....goodbye for good.

It was Geary Louviere. When acosted, he popped it back out of his pants right there in the winner's circle.

Valuist
03-13-2013, 11:00 PM
It was Geary Louviere. When acosted, he popped it back out of his pants right there in the winner's circle.

I'm not sure what the ruling was, but I never saw him ride again. Don't remember much about his brother Glyn after that, either. Glyn may have ridden for awhile in Louisiana.

Dan Montilion
03-14-2013, 12:03 AM
Don't EVER let anybody hit you with one..not out of curiosity..not for a joke. You WILL regret it.
Amen to that Mountainman... I asked a jock once if he hit a horse with the machine. He responds "hell yes!" and proceeds to jab me on the hip. I felt this searing jolt behind my eyeballs, very uncomfortable. Years later this rider was looking at an article about the rocking chair derby that would pit retired riders against one another. I walked past him and said "they don't have an electric chair derby."

billyball
03-14-2013, 05:40 AM
Jockey A.L."Tony" Diaz at Bay Meadows in 1988 took a two year suspension for a buzzer win on the filly Velvet Blue. Still have the vid showing the race from the Sam Spear Show. He came back to win a few more before he finally retired from riding and began a training career.

precocity
03-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Remember that race they even did a big investigation at lone star park because somebody bet 20 geez on him. and I think Valhol still was a 30 to 1 hell cant remember.rumors at lone star said that he always bet big money on his horses,man that's when lone star was rocking. Valhol eventually came to run at lone star in a Allowance race and won and looked real good doing it. hell that jockey cant remember his name he was banned for like 10 yrs right?

also remember when this guy came in with lone star park security and put 50geez on lemon drop kid nose at the belmont. :eek:

Sly7449
03-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Greetings,

I have read where any Jockey who ventures into such an approach is actually wishing themselves a Death Wish. How the Horse will react is even more unpredictable which could place the Jockey's life at increased risk.

OBTW: Don't exclude the Gate Crew. Notice how many Jockeys lose their mount right out the Gate. Hmmmm.

Sly7449
03-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Old Thread found here:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45535

JimG
03-14-2013, 11:36 AM
I'm not sure what the ruling was, but I never saw him ride again. Don't remember much about his brother Glyn after that, either. Glyn may have ridden for awhile in Louisiana.

I recall a Glynn Louviere riding at Charles Town. But I believe it was the 70's. Always wondered what happened to him. My mom won a nice win bet on him when I was a kid so I always remembered the name.

Jim

Valuist
03-14-2013, 12:02 PM
I recall a Glynn Louviere riding at Charles Town. But I believe it was the 70's. Always wondered what happened to him. My mom won a nice win bet on him when I was a kid so I always remembered the name.

Jim

He rode at the Chicago area tracks in the 80s. After his brother was ruled off, I think he decided to look elsewhere.

wisconsin
03-14-2013, 06:23 PM
He rode at the Chicago area tracks in the 80s. After his brother was ruled off, I think he decided to look elsewhere.

Glynn last rode at Evangeline, according to Equibase. Retired in 1994.

CryingForTheHorses
03-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Greetings,

I have read where any Jockey who ventures into such an approach is actually wishing themselves a Death Wish. How the Horse will react is even more unpredictable which could place the Jockey's life at increased risk.

OBTW: Don't exclude the Gate Crew. Notice how many Jockeys lose their mount right out the Gate. Hmmmm.

You cant be serious about the gate crew???...This is the silliest thing I have ever heard..I take it you have never been around a horse and dont understand what these animals are capable of doing..They can kill you in a heartbeat even when you least expect it.I have seen horses go thu walls,chain link fences hit cement pillars,Knock down clockers stands and yes rock a starting gate back and forth like it was going to tip.A guy in the gate holding a horse hitting him with a battery would mean almost certain death,Remember the gate is solid steel and a horse freaking out in the gate with the guy standing on the pontoons, He would get driven into the metal gate by the horse lunging at him.I galloped (not raced) horses for over 25 years for many different trainers at small tracks and big tracks and never 1 time did I ever have a trainer ask me to hit his horse with a battery.Im not saying it didnt happen. Jockeys fall off their horse for many different reasons,Im sure they wouldnt want their horse to be hit with a battery as they broke...JMO

Not4Love
03-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Turfway running 2 days a week. What are the chances ?????????????????????

Check it out!

olddaddy
03-15-2013, 12:47 AM
Phil Rubbicco was a shock jock way before howard stern.

duncan04
03-15-2013, 01:10 AM
Turfway running 2 days a week. What are the chances ?????????????????????

Check it out!

What does this have to do with this thread?? :confused:

andicap
03-15-2013, 09:45 AM

That guy in blue shirt on the right is a particularly handsome fellow. Too bad he's married, ladies. :D

affirmedny
03-18-2013, 09:07 PM
Sandino Hernandez, once barred for "life" for being caught with a buzzer, is a trainer in NY now.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=LqMgAAAAIBAJ&sjid=mGgFAAAAIBAJ&pg=6228,3196472&dq=sandino+hernandez&hl=en

Aner
03-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Tried to look it up with Google but with no success. Many years ago at Golden Gate it was revealed that a horse had won because of the use of a buzzer. The winner's check was given to the place horse. This information was in all the newspapers. When the buzzed horse ran the next time, he went off at 10:1 because everyone knew he only won because if cheating.

Horse won right back and the only other detail I remember is Ron Hanson was the jockey in that race.

NTamm1215
03-19-2013, 04:51 PM
Sandino Hernandez, once barred for "life" for being caught with a buzzer, is a trainer in NY now.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=LqMgAAAAIBAJ&sjid=mGgFAAAAIBAJ&pg=6228,3196472&dq=sandino+hernandez&hl=en

I think the current trainer is his son, Sandino Hernandez, Jr.

chadk66
04-15-2013, 08:37 AM
I'm a former trainer and new to the board. I was looking through all the old posts and came across this one. thought I'd throw my two cents in. I trained from 86' to 91'. Batteries were used fairly frequently back then. Even more frequently in the quarter horse world. It was seldom used for the first time in a race. Jocks usually tested it out on them in the morning because some flat went nuts when hit with it. They didn't want to risk taking out the whole field in a race. Someone mentioned the gate crew in this discussion. Yes they will use it. Here's what happened to me. I shipped from Cby to Thistledown in fall of 86'. Brought a horse there that was at the top of his game. I was using a jockey I knew well from MN. We won three in a row with the horse. 11,500, 15,000 and an allowance race. There was some nasty stuff going on at the track with race fixing and the whole bit. they were not happy they couldn't get to my rider. I had befriended a local guy there that was a big gambler. He told me to keep a close eye on my horses. The next time I ran this horse I told the jock to not let the gate crew head him in the gate. He was a very quiet horse that just stood there in the gate. She tried to get the gate guy to leave and he wouldn't. The minute the gate opened the horse rared up and got left by fifteen lengths. Got beat a head for the win and I loaded them all up and took them home lol. two weeks later the FBI came in and cleaned house.

Sly7449
06-19-2013, 11:58 PM
Chad,

Thanks for your input.

Mcshell assumed that I may never been around horses and may be unaware of the dangers involved. :lol:

My mention of the Gate Crew and possible Battery use (in addition to other tactics) was considered silly.

Wonder what really went wrong at the SA Derby 2013 with the #10 horse.

Sly7449
06-20-2013, 12:17 AM
Wood Memorial 2013, Freedom Child # 10

6 Apr 2013 Race 11

Sly7449
06-20-2013, 01:02 AM
Here is a video on Gate Crew training

http://www.theracingbiz.com/2013/05/17/unsung-assistant-starter-aims-to-comfort-skittish-horses/

Mineshaft
06-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Anyone involved inside horse racing, can you tell me if the battery is used alot.

Used a lot at the smaller tracks...

Mineshaft
06-22-2013, 09:25 PM
No it isn't.

But interestingly enough Billy Patin sure is winning a lot of races here lately.

I believe Patin on this one not Jim Jackson. Word going around was Billy had used it on the horse at FG-Louisiana Derby and he absolutely loved it. Ran 4th that day at odds of over 100/1.