View Full Version : DeAndre Jordan dunks on Brandon Knight

Stillriledup
03-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Its what everybody is talking about.

Fyi, Brandon Knight is still alive :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh0AQw3WFkE

cj
03-11-2013, 05:38 PM
I don't get the big deal here. He is like a foot taller than him, so who cares? Jordan is still a stiff that has tons of raw talent he is wasting. I give it up more to Knight for actually trying and not running for cover like a lot of NBA guys do.

elysiantraveller
03-11-2013, 06:14 PM
How is this a big deal?...

Mad props to Knight for even trying to break up the play.

ManU918
03-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Jordan being a stiff and having raw talent has nothing to do with him absolutely shitting on Brandon Knight in this spot. Give it up to Knight? LOL...I am sure Jordan feels the same way.

cj
03-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Jordan being a stiff and having raw talent has nothing to do with him absolutely shitting on Brandon Knight in this spot. Give it up to Knight? LOL...I am sure Jordan feels the same way.

It would be like me dunking on a 10 year old on a nerf hoop. Who cares?

The point is one guy works hard and gives it all, the other is a waste and yet is getting celebrated because he dunked on a short guy. Woopdeedoo.

ManU918
03-11-2013, 06:47 PM
It would be like me dunking on a 10 year old on a nerf hoop. Who cares?

The point is one guy works hard and gives it all, the other is a waste and yet is getting celebrated because he dunked on a short guy. Woopdeedoo.

That's what you call over exaggeration. Brandon Knight's hand is above the rim when he is trying to block the dunk and Jordan is about 4 feet from the rim when he catches the lob. For Jordan to be able to throw it down while having to deal with Knights momentum going towards him is pure athleticism. Lets not act like he dunked on Muggsy Bogues here.

Robert Fischer
03-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Detroit's center was MIA on that play. I know you have to watch Paul getting open on a screen but don't let Jordan get a nerf dunk!

Visually amazing, but I agree with CJ on the technical stuff here.

cj
03-11-2013, 07:03 PM
That's what you call over exaggeration. Brandon Knight's hand is above the rim when he is trying to block the dunk and Jordan is about 4 feet from the rim when he catches the lob. For Jordan to be able to throw it down while having to deal with Knights momentum going towards him is pure athleticism. Lets not act like he dunked on Muggsy Bogues here.

If you say so. Nobody ever said he wasn't athletic. I'm still not impressed.

PhantomOnTour
03-11-2013, 07:03 PM
2pts.

ManU918
03-11-2013, 07:06 PM
2pts.

PhantomOnTour
03-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Okay, so he was fouled...the real story is that he made the free throw :D

Stillriledup
03-11-2013, 08:30 PM
How is this a big deal?...

Mad props to Knight for even trying to break up the play.

CJ's not impressed because its a team who is the main threat to his Thunder getting back to the finals.

Stillriledup
03-11-2013, 08:35 PM

Its a freak thing, the amazing part of the dunk is that other than Blake, Lebron or Javale, nobody can come close to pulling that off. He was far from the basket and just found a way, like a huge pterodactyl, to dunk that ball in the fashion he dunked it in.

Blake was impressed, Caron was impressed, Matt Barnes was impressed, these guys were giggling like school girls 5 minutes after this dunk because their brain couldnt wrap around what just happened. These are NBA guys who have seen plenty of dunks and have plenty of their own dunks on their resumes.

Jordan is a rare bird he's a huge player with freaky athleticism, you dont see almost 7 footers doing stuff like this, it just doesnt happen.

ManU918
03-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Its a freak thing, the amazing part of the dunk is that other than Blake, Lebron or Javale, nobody can come close to pulling that off. He was far from the basket and just found a way, like a huge pterodactyl, to dunk that ball in the fashion he dunked it in.

Blake was impressed, Caron was impressed, Matt Barnes was impressed, these guys were giggling like school girls 5 minutes after this dunk because their brain couldnt wrap around what just happened. These are NBA guys who have seen plenty of dunks and have plenty of their own dunks on their resumes.

Jordan is a rare bird he's a huge player with freaky athleticism, you dont see almost 7 footers doing stuff like this, it just doesnt happen.

Agree 100%.... Loved my man Maalik Wayns reaction... Hes currently on a 10 dayer with the Clips.

cj
03-11-2013, 10:18 PM
CJ's not impressed because its a team who is the main threat to his Thunder getting back to the finals.

OH please. I wouldn't put them in the top 3 of teams that could unseat them.

dav4463
03-11-2013, 10:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxg7cLp-JIM

Numbers 7 and 5 are very impressive!

Stillriledup
03-12-2013, 01:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dxg7cLp-JIM

Numbers 7 and 5 are very impressive!

Chocolate thunder!

Who could ever forget him tearing down the backboard. :ThmbUp:

Stillriledup
03-12-2013, 01:30 AM
OH please. I wouldn't put them in the top 3 of teams that could unseat them.

So, they're 4th? :lol:

Or, is that too much of a stretch on my part?. :D

Stillriledup
03-12-2013, 02:57 AM
Watching the replay of this dunk again (how can you not just keep watching it) the most amazing reactions are seen in this highlight. Watch Matt Barnes reaction, he's on the near side behind the 3 pt line, jumps like a kid on christmas morning. Watch Chris Paul's face, Chris doesnt get that animated too often on dunks like this...never seen his face like that before...and the best one was Jamal Crawford on the Clippers bench....he had a bewildered look on his face, almost like he saw a ghost, he's looking at the scoreboard in the sky trying to figure out if he really saw what he saw.

I'm not sure how famous Brandon Knight was before last night, but he's a lot more famous now.

cj
03-12-2013, 08:14 AM
So, they're 4th? :lol:

Or, is that too much of a stretch on my part?. :D

Maybe. Thunder are 3-0 against them with two wins in LA. Westbrook outplays Paul head to head every time they meet. Ibaka and Griffin are a wash, one better on O and one on D. They have no answer for Durant, which most teams don't. I just think the Thunder are a terrible match-up for the Clippers.

Stillriledup
03-12-2013, 07:45 PM
Maybe. Thunder are 3-0 against them with two wins in LA. Westbrook outplays Paul head to head every time they meet. Ibaka and Griffin are a wash, one better on O and one on D. They have no answer for Durant, which most teams don't. I just think the Thunder are a terrible match-up for the Clippers.

Durant ranks 1st in minutes played this season, Westbrook 18th. None of the Clippers have high minutes, so, they're going to be a very fresh team when the playoffs start. One of the games OKC beat LAC in LA was the Clippers 6th game in 8 days including a back to back situation where they had a hard 'run and gun' game at Golden State (the Warriors rise up to an incredibly high level when they play the Clippers....not so much for everyone else) so i can forgive the Clippers for losing that game.

Clippers have a phenominal bench and there have been SO many games this year where their starting 5 hardly played at all in the 4th quarter. Im not sure how good the Thunder bench is and what the loss of James Harden is going to mean for your guys when the playoffs start, but i know the Clippers are right where they want to be, they're going to be healthy and rested for the playoffs and don't kid yourself, they have the killer instinct, they're the only team that can prevent OKC from going back to the finals.

Durant is an incredible player and OKC is a great team and as person who will be rooting for LAC, OKC is the last team i want to play.....in my opinion, as humble as it is, i would suggest that LAC is the last team that you should want to play too.

cj
03-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Durant ranks 1st in minutes played this season, Westbrook 18th. None of the Clippers have high minutes, so, they're going to be a very fresh team when the playoffs start. One of the games OKC beat LAC in LA was the Clippers 6th game in 8 days including a back to back situation where they had a hard 'run and gun' game at Golden State (the Warriors rise up to an incredibly high level when they play the Clippers....not so much for everyone else) so i can forgive the Clippers for losing that game.

Clippers have a phenominal bench and there have been SO many games this year where their starting 5 hardly played at all in the 4th quarter. Im not sure how good the Thunder bench is and what the loss of James Harden is going to mean for your guys when the playoffs start, but i know the Clippers are right where they want to be, they're going to be healthy and rested for the playoffs and don't kid yourself, they have the killer instinct, they're the only team that can prevent OKC from going back to the finals.

Durant is an incredible player and OKC is a great team and as person who will be rooting for LAC, OKC is the last team i want to play.....in my opinion, as humble as it is, i would suggest that LAC is the last team that you should want to play too.

You clearly don't follow the Thunder. While they may have lots of minutes played, there have been at least 10 games where Durant sat the entire 4Q, and Westbrook near as many.

The bench is great in the regular season. It rarely helps to be deep in the playoffs. If a team wants to play reserves while KD and Westbrook play 44 minutes a game, good luck to them.

These are how I would rank the teams that could knock off OKC:

San Antonio
Memphis
Denver
LA Lakers
LA Clippers

Benches don't win playoff games, starters do. Ask SA how much that bench helped the last couple years.

Stillriledup
03-12-2013, 09:14 PM
You clearly don't follow the Thunder. While they may have lots of minutes played, there have been at least 10 games where Durant sat the entire 4Q, and Westbrook near as many.

The bench is great in the regular season. It rarely helps to be deep in the playoffs. If a team wants to play reserves while KD and Westbrook play 44 minutes a game, good luck to them.

These are how I would rank the teams that could knock off OKC:

San Antonio
Memphis
Denver
LA Lakers
LA Clippers

Benches don't win playoff games, starters do. Ask SA how much that bench helped the last couple years.

You think the Lakers are better than the Clippers?

LAC beat Memphis last year in the playoffs with Memphis having home court, and LAC is far better this year than they were last year, where did Memphis get better in the last 12 months, i dont follow them much so i dont know who they added or subtracted over the last 12 months to move 'past' the Clippers. Also, LAC was banged up and injured during their series last sesaon and still won 2 games in Memphis.

As far as SA goes, Clippers dominated them in the 2 games that mattered this year, the SA win was when the Clippers had 7 days off for the all star break, that isnt a representative performance.

Putting the Lakers ahead of the Clippers is just hurting your credibility as someone who actually follows the NBA, i'll give you a mulligan and let you take it back if you want.

cj
03-12-2013, 09:45 PM
You think the Lakers are better than the Clippers?

LAC beat Memphis last year in the playoffs with Memphis having home court, and LAC is far better this year than they were last year, where did Memphis get better in the last 12 months, i dont follow them much so i dont know who they added or subtracted over the last 12 months to move 'past' the Clippers. Also, LAC was banged up and injured during their series last sesaon and still won 2 games in Memphis.

As far as SA goes, Clippers dominated them in the 2 games that mattered this year, the SA win was when the Clippers had 7 days off for the all star break, that isnt a representative performance.

Putting the Lakers ahead of the Clippers is just hurting your credibility as someone who actually follows the NBA, i'll give you a mulligan and let you take it back if you want.

No, I don't think the Lakers are better than the Clippers. But, I'd give them a better shot of beating the Thunder. Head to head, I'd pick the Clippers. The NBA, especially the playoffs, is about match ups.

elysiantraveller
03-13-2013, 08:04 AM
The Lakers with a different coaching philosophy would be a very dangerous team in the playoffs because of their size in the interior. They would be a team dangerous to both the Thunder and the Heat even though I don't think either would lose.

Memphis is another team that is "built" to play those teams, just like Indiana in the east.

Stillriledup
03-13-2013, 10:19 PM
The main Dunk thread on Youtube has 6 million views and counting. A few other threads are heading to a million. Its in the top 50 all time under the youtube search "nba slam dunk".

I'm guessing CJ wasnt one of those 6 million views, him and Skip Bayless (hard core Thunder fans) were the only 2 guys not impressed.

:D

Stillriledup
03-13-2013, 10:22 PM
The Lakers with a different coaching philosophy would be a very dangerous team in the playoffs because of their size in the interior. They would be a team dangerous to both the Thunder and the Heat even though I don't think either would lose.

Memphis is another team that is "built" to play those teams, just like Indiana in the east.

lakers are big, esp if Pau comes back and is productive, but they dont play enough defense to win in the playoffs. They're on a little run of success now, but Kobe is a one man show, he takes every shot he possibly can, im not sure that's good 'team' basketball and winning playoff basketball.

PhantomOnTour
03-13-2013, 11:18 PM
The main Dunk thread on Youtube has 6 million views and counting. A few other threads are heading to a million. Its in the top 50 all time under the youtube search "nba slam dunk".

I'm guessing CJ wasnt one of those 6 million views, him and Skip Bayless (hard core Thunder fans) were the only 2 guys not impressed.

:D
It was a dunk for Chrissakes - get over it.
How many thousands of dunks have you seen in your life?
They simply do not get me out of my seat anymore...neither does a tape measure home run.
After seeing Dominique Wilkins throw a dunk down i really don't need to see much more.

cj
03-13-2013, 11:58 PM
I've been watching basketball too long to be impressed by highlight reel dunks, particularly a big man over a little one. Durant over Brendan Haywood was impressive. Javale McGee had a huge one tonight over some big stiff for the Knicks, but at least he was big.

In the end, it is just two points. I appreciate a great pick and roll or ball movement leading to an open jumper as much as a dunk, probably more.

dav4463
03-14-2013, 12:28 AM
Kobe went down with a severe ankle sprain tonight. Lakers bench can't cover losing him the way the Spurs do without Parker.

Stillriledup
03-14-2013, 01:50 AM
Kobe went down with a severe ankle sprain tonight. Lakers bench can't cover losing him the way the Spurs do without Parker.

Right, he will be back next game at full power running 40 up my back with impossible 3 pt shot after 3 pt shot with guys in his face ...and, to rub salt, he's going to have that 'mad face' he puts on, you know the one i'mtalking about? :D

Stillriledup
03-14-2013, 01:51 AM
It was a dunk for Chrissakes - get over it.
How many thousands of dunks have you seen in your life?
They simply do not get me out of my seat anymore...neither does a tape measure home run.
After seeing Dominique Wilkins throw a dunk down i really don't need to see much more.

The Entire NBA is 'buzzing' over this dunk, Lebron says "best dunk this year" on Twitter. Its not me that needs to "get over it", the entire Clippers pregame show centered around that dunk. You think this dunk was just 'one in a thousand'?

Stillriledup
03-14-2013, 01:53 AM
I've been watching basketball too long to be impressed by highlight reel dunks, particularly a big man over a little one. Durant over Brendan Haywood was impressive. Javale McGee had a huge one tonight over some big stiff for the Knicks, but at least he was big.

In the end, it is just two points. I appreciate a great pick and roll or ball movement leading to an open jumper as much as a dunk, probably more.

he would have done the same thing to a large power forward, the only difference would have been the bigger man hitting the floor would have made a louder sound.

cj
03-14-2013, 08:59 AM
he would have done the same thing to a large power forward, the only difference would have been the bigger man hitting the floor would have made a louder sound.

Still want to put the LAC over Memphis? Maybe they should be focusing on winning games instead of a dunk.

PhantomOnTour
03-14-2013, 09:39 AM
The Entire NBA is 'buzzing' over this dunk, Lebron says "best dunk this year" on Twitter. Its not me that needs to "get over it", the entire Clippers pregame show centered around that dunk. You think this dunk was just 'one in a thousand'?
I bet you watch the Home Run Derby every year, don't you? (and it thrills you to no end)

Best dunk this year?...it's mid March
Ofcourse the Clips put it in their pregame (you watch basketball pregame!?) show - they are about hyping themselves.
Just because other folks are flipping out over this dunk (as well as you) doesn't give it any more cred in my book....as i said before....2pts.

Wanna be wowed? Watch some goals by Lionel Messi

Valuist
03-14-2013, 01:44 PM

But guess what, its still only 2 points. But we've turned into a Sportscenter nation, thanks to the 4 letter word network. Now we have a star player (Derrick Rose) who's afraid to come back from a knee injury because he doesn't think he can dunk like he used to. Derrick, you are a point guard; its not your job to dunk.

Phantom on Tour---does ANYBODY watch the home run contest anymore? I'm a baseball fan and I can't sit thru that.

elysiantraveller
03-14-2013, 03:56 PM
With the hype you'd think he threw it down over Mutumbo.

PhantomOnTour
03-14-2013, 04:46 PM
But guess what, its still only 2 points. But we've turned into a Sportscenter nation, thanks to the 4 letter word network. Now we have a star player (Derrick Rose) who's afraid to come back from a knee injury because he doesn't think he can dunk like he used to. Derrick, you are a point guard; its not your job to dunk.

Phantom on Tour---does ANYBODY watch the home run contest anymore? I'm a baseball fan and I can't sit thru that.
Does ANYONE watch the slam dunk contest?

MutuelClerk
03-14-2013, 07:56 PM
I feel bad for Brandon Knight. The rest of his team has packed it in. He's out there giving effort and gets posterized for it.

Stillriledup
03-15-2013, 06:16 AM
Still want to put the LAC over Memphis? Maybe they should be focusing on winning games instead of a dunk.

Memphis was better in this game no doubt. LAC has some work to do. Memphis is strong, they're a serious team.

Stillriledup
03-15-2013, 06:25 AM

Well, its a dunk thread, so, that means its a thread about something that's more than just 2 pts. If you've watched every minute of every Clippers game this year, you would notice that a thunderous dunk not only gets the crowd really into the game, but it really gets the players jazzed up and can change the momentum of a game...so, in certain instances, its worth more than 2 pts.

Its perfectly fair for you to not be impressed with a 'dunk' but i have to tell you that freaky athletic plays are something i love watching. I love watching Usain Bolt and his freaky long legs run in a race and beat the competition as if he's not even trying hard.....and you might say "well, he's just putting one leg in front of the other" and i would say that i still enjoy watching it....just like i enjoy athletic NBA players jump to the moon.

As far as it being 'only 2 points' i think it was actually 3 as he was fouled in the act. Also, its '2 pts' to the players and the team.....its not 2 points to me, i could care less unless i have a wager on the game. If i dont have a wager on the game, i want to see dunks and ally-oops and all sorts of highlight stuff....ya know, its entertainment and that's what i'm tuning in to see...im tuning in to be entertained.

As far as the Home run Derby goes, did you not find it amazing to watch Josh Hamilton put on an exhibition at Yankee Stadium a few years ago?

Stillriledup
01-21-2014, 05:18 PM
DJ leads NBA in rebounds. Much improved player, one of the great athletes and great dunkers in the game. Hopefully he will go in the Dunk Contest.

Does Jordan deserve an All star selection? Or, is he not polished enough for that yet?

cj
01-21-2014, 05:40 PM
He is not even close to being an all star now that there don't have to be true centers on the team.

cj
01-21-2014, 06:00 PM
He is not even close to being an all star now that there don't have to be true centers on the team.

These are some frontcourt players that would obviously beat out Jordan:

Kevin Durant
Serge Ibaka
David Lee
Andrew Bogut
Chandler Parsons
Dwight Howard
Dirk Nowitzki
Blake Griffin
Zach Randolph
Marc Gasol
Nicola Pekovic
Kevin Love
Anthony Davis
LaMarcus Aldridge
Tim Duncan
DeMarcus Cousins

Stillriledup
01-21-2014, 06:26 PM
These are some frontcourt players that would obviously beat out Jordan:

Kevin Durant
Serge Ibaka
David Lee
Andrew Bogut
Chandler Parsons
Dwight Howard
Dirk Nowitzki
Blake Griffin
Zach Randolph
Marc Gasol
Nicola Pekovic
Kevin Love
Anthony Davis
LaMarcus Aldridge
Tim Duncan
DeMarcus Cousins

Is an all star selection based on just one season? In other words, if a player who's otherwise mediocre has one great first half of a season, can that player get elected to the game? If that's true, than the person who is the better player in real life won't always get the nod over the 'hot' player.

cj
01-21-2014, 06:33 PM
Is an all star selection based on just one season? In other words, if a player who's otherwise mediocre has one great first half of a season, can that player get elected to the game? If that's true, than the person who is the better player in real life won't always get the nod over the 'hot' player.

I think it is generally based on the current season, but not always. Obviously the starters are up to fans, and that is more "career" related. Reserves are up to the coach.

Jordan isn't better than any of those guys this year, or in past years. He is a decent player with some big flaws, but he is far from an all star at this point.

Stillriledup
01-21-2014, 07:00 PM
I think it is generally based on the current season, but not always. Obviously the starters are up to fans, and that is more "career" related. Reserves are up to the coach.

Jordan isn't better than any of those guys this year, or in past years. He is a decent player with some big flaws, but he is far from an all star at this point.

DJ's problem is obviously consistency, on his best game, he's really good, he's a force and a factor and disrupts the game, but he can't shoot, can only score on a dunk or free throw and isnt a great "side to side" defender. He's a much better shot blocker and up and down defender, but he's not polished and doesnt always play great, he's not consistent enough to be in the same class as the guys you've listed.

He said he doesnt want to do the dunk contest unless hes an actual all star, hopefully his game can continue to improve, he's fun to watch.