PDA

View Full Version : EHV-1 at Santa Anita

Al Gobbi
03-07-2013, 08:34 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/santa-anita-filly-euthanized-after-contracting-equine-herpesvirus

horses4courses
03-07-2013, 08:37 PM
http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/animal_health/equine_herpes_virus.html

so.cal.fan
03-09-2013, 08:45 PM
found out today that this death was an ISOLATED incident. No other horses in the Santa Anita barns are infected or have any chance of being infected.

I personally think this is a conspiracy by Eastern turf press against SANTA ANITA PARK.
They are very jealous of our racing here in So. Cal. and jump at the chance to slander us, anyway they can.
They are creating a panic, so no Eastern horse will ship here for our big races.

It is pure BS, they have done things like this before.
The East coast and Kentucky are very biased against So. Cal. especially Santa Anita Park.

:mad:

cj
03-09-2013, 08:49 PM
SoCalFan, that is a giant reach on your part.

so.cal.fan
03-09-2013, 08:53 PM
I stand by my statements. I am not alone.
You don't live here CJ, or you would not think it such a stretch.

johnhannibalsmith
03-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Must be a coast to coast bias as Turf Paradise has banned horses from shipping in from So. Cal.

cj
03-09-2013, 09:07 PM
I stand by my statements. I am not alone.
You don't live here CJ, or you would not think it such a stretch.

I've lived all over. I agree there was a bias years ago, but I don't think it is there any longer. Sure, many criticized the idiotic decision for a place with near perfect weather to go to synthetics, but even SA pretty much admitted that was dumb when they put dirt back in.

I see nothing in that article that would indicate the slightest bias.

bob60566
03-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Must be a coast to coast bias as Turf Paradise has banned horses from shipping in from So. Cal.

If they ship they will be charged with daylight robbery :)

so.cal.fan
03-09-2013, 09:25 PM
I've lived within walking distance of the place for 50 years.
I like the horse racing at all our So. Cal. tracks.
The fact still remains, as of today, there are NO OTHER CASES of this virus.
None. It's not fair to start a panic, and scare horsemen from coming to Santa Anita to run horses.

Sysonby
03-09-2013, 09:47 PM
I've lived all over. I agree there was a bias years ago, but I don't think it is there any longer. Sure, many criticized the idiotic decision for a place with near perfect weather to go to synthetics, but even SA pretty much admitted that was dumb when they put dirt back in.

I see nothing in that article that would indicate the slightest bias.

Really? Really? Yeah, I guess when your catastrophic injury rate is 150% the rate of other dirt tracks, that wouldn't be a good enough reason to go to synthetics. The decision that's questionable here is going back to dirt. Have you looked at the stats from the Equine Injury database? By the last year of synthetic, catastrophic injury rate was half what it is with dirt.

brivolta
03-11-2013, 03:30 PM
None. It's not fair to start a panic, and scare horsemen from coming to Santa Anita to run horses.

After what happened at hawthorne this winter, this seems to be a rather naive post.

Stillriledup
03-11-2013, 05:26 PM

I think the slotless purses and the 3,000 mile ship is enough to scare anyone. (not to mention that many east coast shippers just get out there and flop for no reason whatsoever). There's a lot of reasons to not come to So Cal from the east coast.

PaceAdvantage
03-12-2013, 02:02 AM
Really? Really? Yeah, I guess when your catastrophic injury rate is 150% the rate of other dirt tracks, that wouldn't be a good enough reason to go to synthetics. The decision that's questionable here is going back to dirt. Have you looked at the stats from the Equine Injury database? By the last year of synthetic, catastrophic injury rate was half what it is with dirt.Oooooo...I sure hope you land the tried and true "callous horseplayers who care nothing about the horse other than its number and whether they can cash a bet...most of them have probably never even touched a horse" line...

Cause then I get to use cj's awesome line about "horsemen" that he came up with not too long ago...

Sysonby
03-12-2013, 09:49 PM
Hmmm, missed the "horseman" line, it's a good one?

PaceAdvantage
03-13-2013, 03:08 AM
Hmmm, missed the "horseman" line, it's a good one?I thought so...

The funny thing is we always hear we are jaded horseplayers that don't care about the animals. But, last I checked, horseplayers aren't sending horses to slaughter, horsemen are.

Sysonby
03-13-2013, 11:22 PM
Um . . . there is no response to that, lol.

Sysonby
03-13-2013, 11:24 PM
Although you have to feel sorry for the poor horseplayers, with all those useless horses in their sheds that they're not sending to slaughter . . . very noble of them.

How many horses do horseplayers have, on average? I'm thinking .1 would be high.