PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to the Contest at SHRP?

superfecta
11-08-2001, 09:58 PM
Just wondering if anyone is going to the Sam Houston handicapping contest this week end.Or if you have went in the past,what can I expect? Thanx

BillW
11-08-2001, 10:56 PM
Super,

I'm probably going up but not for the contest ... not too much of a contester. My impression of the past is that weekend handicappers do pretty well i.e. I see people winning occasionally that don't strike me as handicappers. This leads me to believe that the fields aren't packed solid with strong contesters (not that they aren't there, I'm sure there are some). Otherwise expect a chance of showers :-)

Bill W.

GR1@HTR
11-09-2001, 09:30 AM
Howdy fellas, more than likely I'll be there as well. Question for the Houston players....Does HOU have electrical outlets handy for laptop users? If not, I'll have to bring bung load of printouts instead...

BillW
11-09-2001, 11:36 AM
GR1,

They may have AC available in the new simulcast theatre (the pay for play area) ... it's probably worth a phone call. I'm not sure where they hold the contests anymore, they used to be over in the simulcast pavilion. Lately they have been moving focus to the main building though.

Bill W.

superfecta
11-09-2001, 11:54 AM
If you guys see a Indian guy with glasses and wearing orange or black shirt or something with OSU ,thats me.If you see same guy ready to jump off the grandstand,DEFINETLY say something....

GR1@HTR
11-09-2001, 01:51 PM
Thanks BillW.

Super, I'll be looking for ya! Best of luck.

BillW
11-10-2001, 12:10 AM
New weather info, in case anyone took my previous post seriously. Now the forecast is favoring clearer skies. A Houston forecast changing? Go figure!

Bill W.

BillW
11-11-2001, 02:55 AM
Well, anybody going to LV?

If you guys had a day like I did, you couldn't even afford gas to get home :-)

Hope your travels were safe,

Bill

GR1@HTR
11-11-2001, 01:57 PM
No soup for me. Had a bad one. First time down to the allmighty Hou Park and enjoyed it. Left with some parting gift though if that counts...

GR1@HTR
11-12-2001, 06:42 AM
Superfecta,

BTW, I looked for ya a couple of times but no luck. Spent most of my time in the simulcast room downstairs instead of the contest area.

superfecta
11-12-2001, 11:28 AM
I had one of the worst days I have ever had.I think I ended up dead last or close to it.Only had one horse placed paying 2.60 before I left in disgust.
Oh well, I at least got experience if nothing else,and the chicken strips were good.

GR1@HTR
11-12-2001, 11:43 AM
Super, on a side note...That was the most screwed up **** I have ever seen. They changed the tracks and races from what was originally assigned....Also most places allow you to watch the tote board before making selections. Here it was turn in your selections and then see what happens...Didn't try the chicken strips but had the craving for Frozen Yogurt only to find out the machine was broken...What else could go wrong? Guess the highlight for me was the Taquito I had at the Whataburger in Ennis, TX. Long live the TAQUITO!!!

GR1@HTR
11-12-2001, 11:46 AM
Another observaton: ]Houston vs Dallas.

Here in Dallas we have street bums holding signs asking for money. In Houston, the street bums are actually trying to sell something (work) for money. There just might be something to the harding working man does reside in Houston.

BillW
11-12-2001, 01:26 PM
GR1, Super,

Misery loves company ... thanks guys.

GR1 - on the way the contest was run. It sounds like they are trying to "level" the playing field so that the casual fan has as much of a chance as the seasoned handicapper. Possibly that is where I got my impression that the more casual fans seem to do quite well (they've been sabotaging the real handicappers ~G~). Anyway sorry about the frozen yogurt and hope you didn't have too bad of a stay.

Bill W.

Will handicap for food.

superfecta
11-13-2001, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by BillW

Will handicap for food.

If I did that I would probably get the food that has already been eaten,if you get my drift...
On the format of the contest,it wasn't that bad,but I could see ways to improve it.Like have your bets placed just before the race starts,if you so choose.This could be done with betting cards just for the contest.And pay more to contestants.I figure they made more than 4 grand with the entry fee,minus costs.Thats like an extra 7k being in the wagering pool that nite,on every race,not too shabby.

Boris
11-15-2001, 11:30 AM
Link for the final results of the contest. I was unable to attend or I would have posted to meet up with you guys.

http://www.samhoustonracepark.com/home/drf-ntra.html

Later

superfecta
11-15-2001, 07:53 PM
I didn't finish dead last,I finished second to last.I CAN'T EVEN LOSE CORRECTLY!