PDA

View Full Version : DISH (RTN Network) question

Track Phantom
03-06-2013, 04:03 AM
Hi everyone,

I have the DISH network and the RTN package. I'm wondering if anyone has this and knows if you can record from DVR'd content to DVD?

I'd like to record live racing day to DVR and then transfer it to DVD. Wondering if anyone has been able to record to DVD from DISH.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

TP

jdhanover
03-06-2013, 08:36 AM
I think the only way is via an addl service/equipment from DISH. Fairly sure you cannot get it via USB to computer as the recording is encrypted (or something like that). I looked into this a while back and that was my conclusion.
If someone knows how to do so without the extra charges, please share!

BreadandButter
03-06-2013, 10:53 AM
This is very helpful for watching replays (much better quality than pulling up a race on the computer), seeing the post parade, etc..

It can be done with a DVD Recorder or via your computer (if you have the appropriate card to handle the AV inputs). However, this isn't a file transfer etc. You have to play the programming on the DVR and then record on the DVD Recorder or PC. Very straight forward and easy to do - the biggest issues are the time it takes to play the recorded material and hoping there aren't "issues" capturing the track feed to your DVR initially. Many times if there are any power issues at the track you can typically give up any hope of any DVR functionality - this happened the past week at Sam Houston - I've encountered it at Aqueduct, Tampa and Turfway as well.

Another obstacle being that if you are going to be away and set your DVR programming to record a particular track you need to program each performance separately since the broadcasts have no unique identifier as most other Dish programming does. Additionally, you can't have the start time prior to the Dish scheduled time (if you hope to catch the previous day's replays) - you'll get nothing more than a blank recording.

TheEdge07
03-06-2013, 06:28 PM
30 days from today RTN will have live video for non subscribers of dish network.$65 a month will also include replays(originally $15) a month.

Track Phantom
03-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Are you saying in 30 days you can get RTN without DISH? If so, goodbye DISH. I have DirecTV...only reason I have DISH is for RTN.

TheEdge07
03-06-2013, 07:15 PM
Are you saying in 30 days you can get RTN without DISH? If so, goodbye DISH. I have DirecTV...only reason I have DISH is for RTN.

Spoke with Pete today at length.The RTN ON LINE package(currently $25) will be available for $65.Live simulcast feed,replays,he said it should be within 30 days.I currently have the replays for $15 which is a steal.

5k-claim
03-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Spoke with Pete today at length.The RTN ON LINE package(currently $25) will be available for $65.Live simulcast feed,replays,he said it should be within 30 days.I currently have the replays for $15 which is a steal. This sounds really good...

On your $15 replay subscription, the list of tracks they have show that the CDI group of tracks are listed as "TV Package Only". (I am referring to their website.)

When the on-line package no longer needs the TV subscription, I wonder if the CDI tracks will be included?

TheEdge07
03-06-2013, 07:54 PM
This sounds really good...

On your $15 replay subscription, the list of tracks they have show that the CDI group of tracks are listed as "TV Package Only". (I am referring to their website.)

When the on-line package no longer needs the TV subscription, I wonder if the CDI tracks will be included?

5k no replays for Churchill,or Fairgrounds ,calder...im pretty sure they will be included once its available on line.I watch replays from anytrack around the world.Alot cheaper then equibase replays.International tracks are included.Japan,Arc,Cam..Price results included along with horse's history of race replays included.
As far a s cdi tracks like churchill i use my adw.

JimG
03-06-2013, 08:07 PM
What type of video player can you use to access the content? I prefer using vlc player. Also how nice is the stream with broadband? I would like to blow it up on my tv via the hdmi cable if I end up subscribing to the live video. My experience is some streams are good and others, not so much.

If you could show a screen capture of the video, that would be helpful since the site offers no way to view a sample that I am aware of.

Jim

thespaah
03-06-2013, 11:52 PM
Hi everyone,

I have the DISH network and the RTN package. I'm wondering if anyone has this and knows if you can record from DVR'd content to DVD?

I'd like to record live racing day to DVR and then transfer it to DVD. Wondering if anyone has been able to record to DVD from DISH.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

TP
Depending upon the receiver model....The models 722 722k are Dish DVR's that have a USB port.Not sure about the Hopper. For a one time fee( I think it's $39) one can have Dish activate the EHD feature. At that point the user may connect an external hard drive(EHD) for storage of programming. Should you decide to purchase an EHD, ask the retailer if the drive can be connected to a computer and then can the content be recorded onto a DVD.
To my knowledge there is no way to take content directly from the receiver's hard drive and load it onto any other type of recording medium.

jdhanover
03-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Spoke with Pete today at length.The RTN ON LINE package(currently $25) will be available for $65.Live simulcast feed,replays,he said it should be within 30 days.I currently have the replays for $15 which is a steal.

Why is this so good? Cant you already get video feeds from your ADW (I know TVG, DRFbets, etc gets you video including replays etc). Though not the post parade on the replay.

I do understand that you might want to record things, but since these ADWs have the replays available I'm missing the 'value' in the RTN feed. Even if the ADWs charge a fee it is less than $65.

I don't care, mind you, I'm just wondering why this is exciting.

SandyW
03-07-2013, 12:07 AM
Depending upon the receiver model....The models 722 722k are Dish DVR's that have a USB port.Not sure about the Hopper. For a one time fee( I think it's $39) one can have Dish activate the EHD feature. At that point the user may connect an external hard drive(EHD) for storage of programming. Should you decide to purchase an EHD, ask the retailer if the drive can be connected to a computer and then can the content be recorded onto a DVD.
To my knowledge there is no way to take content directly from the receiver's hard drive and load it onto any other type of recording medium.

There is no longer a $39 fee , but the content can only be stored and played back thru your Dish receiver. The data and video that is stored on the external drive is not compatible with a computer for copying and making a DVD.
We copy the races for watching replays all the time and have found the best way to do this is with a VCR player.

Dave Schwartz
03-07-2013, 12:19 AM
I have not done this is a long time but I do not see why it would not work now. I did use it with RTN before they went to Dish. I am assuming that the current Dishnet DVR allows an export or else you can run right from the wall.

1. Get a TV capture card with a cable or S-video input.
2. Run one of your satellite cables into the capture card.
3. The software that comes with the card will allow for DVR-like recording.

TheEdge07
03-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Why is this so good? Cant you already get video feeds from your ADW (I know TVG, DRFbets, etc gets you video including replays etc). Though not the post parade on the replay.

I do understand that you might want to record things, but since these ADWs have the replays available I'm missing the 'value' in the RTN feed. Even if the ADWs charge a fee it is less than $65.

I don't care, mind you, I'm just wondering why this is exciting.

True, but im not sure if ADWs offer every race run by the horse.For example i could look at replays from 2007 from one particular horse with a click.Equibase charges $31 for unlimited replays a month.
Theres a option of horse search.Input the horse's name and it directs you to his races, click on any race you want to watch.

5k-claim
03-07-2013, 07:32 PM
True, but im not sure if ADWs offer every race run by the horse.For example i could look at replays from 2007 from one particular horse with a click.Equibase charges $31 for unlimited replays a month.
Theres a option of horse search.Input the horse's name and it directs you to his races, click on any race you want to watch. (1) Do the replays include multiple angles?

(2) How soon after a race is run is the replay available?

Thanks !

thespaah
03-07-2013, 11:07 PM
There is no longer a $39 fee , but the content can only be stored and played back thru your Dish receiver. The data and video that is stored on the external drive is not compatible with a computer for copying and making a DVD.
We copy the races for watching replays all the time and have found the best way to do this is with a VCR player.
Ah, ok. So there have been some changes made. No surprise there.
Thanks for the update.
So to answer the OP's question...."No dice".

JimG
03-30-2013, 03:55 PM

It is now available for $35 per month on computer for live racing and replays. Supposed to be mobile as well but it stated it was not available for my ipad. As far as I can tell CDI tracks not included. Jai Alai was not there today as well although I think it should be. Everything else is there. No tv subscription required. I signed up for a month so I will check back if anything else to report or any questions.

Jim

thespaah
03-31-2013, 01:57 PM
It is now available for $35 per month on computer for live racing and replays. Supposed to be mobile as well but it stated it was not available for my ipad. As far as I can tell CDI tracks not included. Jai Alai was not there today as well although I think it should be. Everything else is there. No tv subscription required. I signed up for a month so I will check back if anything else to report or any questions.

Jim
Last time I looked, in order to get full on line version of RTN, one must subscribe to the satellite version..
Is this still the case?

TheEdge07
03-31-2013, 01:59 PM
Last time I looked, in order to get full on line version of RTN, one must subscribe to the satellite version..
Is this still the case?

nope

Click on a package to learn more!

http://www.rtn.tv/dev/images/tv.png (http://www.rtn.tv/package-tv.aspx)( DISH Subscription Policies Apply )
$50 Per Month

http://www.rtn.tv/images/online_tablet_mobile.png (http://www.rtn.tv/package-online.aspx)( TV Package Subscription NOT Required )
$35 Per Month ( Live And Race Replays Option )
( Available To TV Package Subscribers For Just $25 Per Month )

$15 Per Month ( Race Replays Only Option )

Terms And Conditions Of Use (http://www.rtn.tv/legal/termsofuse.aspx) | Privacy Policy (http://www.rtn.tv/legal/privacy.aspx)

edmond1
03-31-2013, 02:19 PM
Does anyone know what the delay in the online feed is compared to the satellite(TV) feed ?

BIG49010
04-06-2013, 07:44 PM
I don't know if anybody happen to see it, RTN had Santa Anita in HD today, it was very nice. Let's hope they start to move more tracks to HD!

thespaah
04-07-2013, 01:19 AM
nope

Click on a package to learn more!

http://www.rtn.tv/dev/images/tv.png (http://www.rtn.tv/package-tv.aspx)( DISH Subscription Policies Apply )
$50 Per Month

http://www.rtn.tv/images/online_tablet_mobile.png (http://www.rtn.tv/package-online.aspx)( TV Package Subscription NOT Required )
$35 Per Month ( Live And Race Replays Option )
( Available To TV Package Subscribers For Just $25 Per Month )

$15 Per Month ( Race Replays Only Option )

Terms And Conditions Of Use (http://www.rtn.tv/legal/termsofuse.aspx) | Privacy Policy (http://www.rtn.tv/legal/privacy.aspx)
THAT is much better....$35 is reasonable.

SchagFactorToWin
04-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Is there less of a delay in the RTN video than the ADW video?

QuarterCrack
04-11-2013, 01:32 PM
It's good news that RTN is finally available online as a stand-alone option. Since I live in an apartment building, I never had the option to get DISH.

My question now is, is there a fairly easy way to watch the RTN feeds on my TV instead of the computer screen? I guess it would be akin to using my TV as a monitor. Only issues are that my computer is in the other room (and I don't want to move it next to the TV), and I don't have a "smart" TV. So I guess I would need some wireless solution. I tried doing it via my PS3 system, but it can't view Flash video. I suspect another device like Apple TV would have the same issue?

Any thoughts?

JimG
04-11-2013, 01:37 PM
It's good news that RTN is finally available online as a stand-alone option. Since I live in an apartment building, I never had the option to get DISH.

My question now is, is there a fairly easy way to watch the RTN feeds on my TV instead of the computer screen? I guess it would be akin to using my TV as a monitor. Only issues are that my computer is in the other room (and I don't want to move it next to the TV), and I don't have a "smart" TV. So I guess I would need some wireless solution. I tried doing it via my PS3 system, but it can't view Flash video. I suspect another device like Apple TV would have the same issue?

Any thoughts?

Stream from an ipad to your tv via hdmi cable.

Dave Schwartz
04-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Solution:

If your TV has a USB in, BestBuy, NewEgg, etc. sell a device for like $99 that trnasmits the signal from your PC directly to your tv.

Works very cool.

Here is another (and even better) solution. Go to Costco and buy a new BluRay player. The pretty much all support an internet connection. Make sure you get one that has an app for browsing the web. Then you just literally play it on the TV!

QuarterCrack
04-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Here is another (and even better) solution. Go to Costco and buy a new BluRay player. The pretty much all support an internet connection. Make sure you get one that has an app for browsing the web. Then you just literally play it on the TV!

That sounds pretty easy - do you think I would run into the same issue about Flash compatibility that I did with the PS3? I currently use that as my Bluray player, and its web browser didn't support Flash video.

netbet
04-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Apple TV will allow you to stream from an iPad or your computer directly to your TV.

Dave Schwartz
04-11-2013, 03:47 PM
That sounds pretty easy - do you think I would run into the same issue about Flash compatibility that I did with the PS3? I currently use that as my Bluray player, and its web browser didn't support Flash video.

Oops. I never thought of that.

Honestly do not know.

BTW, the thing I do not like about streaming video on my computer is that it takes so much in the way of system resources.

BTW (2), next time you get a new computer take the oldest one and dedicate it to nothing but video.

PaceAdvantage
04-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Stream from an ipad to your tv via hdmi cable.Most of your newer laptops have HDMI out...and all of your newer TVs have secondary HDMI ports...just hook the cable up and configure Windows to use the TV as a second monitor and off you go...

JimG
04-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Most of your newer laptops have HDMI out...and all of your newer TVs have secondary HDMI ports...just hook the cable up and configure Windows to use the TV as a second monitor and off you go...

PA,

Very true, and I use that set up all the time. I was responding to Quartercrack giving him other options because he did not want his computer near the tv.

Jim

BIG49010
01-04-2014, 12:24 PM
Anybody using the Dish 722 DVR to record 2 channels of racing, so you can back up and watch when two races are going off at same time?

I am thinking of upgrading, I have 222 now.

Other suggestions of what to do would be appreciated.

Thanks

JustRalph
01-04-2014, 12:48 PM
Apple TV will allow you to stream from an iPad or your computer directly to your TV.

This works great as long as you have a decent wireless network.

I do it all the time. If I can get it on my ipad I can watch it on the big screen via Apple TV

Google has a 35 dollar device that does it too.

It's called chrome cast

Apple TV can be found on sale for 89 bucks and 99 normally. But you get a whole lot more for your money. I recommend Apple tv

BreadandButter
01-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Anybody using the Dish 722 DVR to record 2 channels of racing, so you can back up and watch when two races are going off at same time?

Thanks

I have a 722 and a 600 series DVR as well. It's great to fast forward, pause, rewind, record when the tracks are broadcast on the main feeds.

When they are not - there is no ability to do any of the following. I've spoken with RTN and they said there are times when the signal is sent over secondary satellites which results in the inability to use any DVR functionality.

When this occurs I record the events to my pcs with Power Director software.

This seems to occur most often on the NYRA tracks. It also appears to happen anytime there is a power issue at the track.

For example today the only track I'm aware of that has no DVR functionality is AQU, I haven't checked everything but Tampa, Gulfstream, Turfway, Laurel, Fair Grounds are all fine.

thespaah
01-04-2014, 10:45 PM

Thanks
The 722( actually the "K" version) is the most stable model receiver Dish has made to date.
I highly recommend you make the switch.
In stalled many of these. Rarely would I have to swap one out on a service call because of malfunction.
I believe the hard drive capacity is 500 hours of Standard Definition programming.
Plus, you can connect an external hard drive to store recordings.
http://www.mydish.com/upgrades/products/receivers/?WT.svl=upgradessubnav