PDA

View Full Version : Big Cap

Tom
03-02-2013, 07:50 PM
GOD wins it?
Not a lot of triple digit Beyers in here.
Not a lot of wins in here.

Not one of the more memorable renewals. I'll take a shot on the :8:

Stillriledup
03-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Amazing getting more than 4 dollars on a horse this good.

camourous
03-02-2013, 08:03 PM
Amazing getting more than 4 dollars on a horse this good.

not sure if he's that good, but the horses he beat were pretty bad, $4 in that field is a gift though.

OTM Al
03-02-2013, 10:55 PM
I didnt want to play him initially but the 4 was evidently the wise guy horse, so he wasn't worth a win play. When I saw with the 7 out he was the only real speed in the race, he was a strong key on top. Thought the 5 looked good for second or third. Was down to my last $17 in my account as I was not doing so well all day. Spent $12 on the tri for $2 and $4.80 on a dime super and hit them both. Turned the $17 into $340. Pretty good end of the day for my first trip to Santa Anita. Interesting track and quite different than what I was used to on the east coast. I'll share some pictures Monday when I get the net back on my lap top ( yeah, it ain't free at the hotel.....)

Rex Phinney
03-03-2013, 11:36 PM
not sure if he's that good, but the horses he beat were pretty bad, $4 in that field is a gift though.

He's that good, Ron the Greek is no slouch as evidenced by his run in the Big Cap last year and his previous race at Gulfstream.

Bejarano totally screwed up the Classic for the horse last year, if he gets the horse clear of traffic the first 1/4 mile there is no reason to believe the dude would be anything short of 8 for 8 at Santa Anita.

Right now there just isn't much out there to beat. I don't know how good we could say any field has been in 2013. I must say I was there expecting the dude to win, but in the end it did look to easy.

nijinski
03-04-2013, 12:00 AM
He had it his way , the whole way ,

plainolebill
03-04-2013, 12:38 AM
Had it his own way to the tune of a 116 BSF. Looked to me like Smith did a little race riding to crowd the only other possible speed in the race right after the start - not that it probably made any difference the way he ran.

nijinski
03-04-2013, 01:20 AM
Had it his own way to the tune of a 116 BSF. Looked to me like Smith did a little race riding to crowd the only other possible speed in the race right after the start - not that it probably made any difference the way he ran.

Very true , probably recalled the beating he took for the Paynter ride I guess .

SharpCat
03-04-2013, 11:43 PM

Great comment by Mike Watchmaker on his blog. Oh, and I guess you could say Game On Dude was lucky he wasn't ticketed for coming over and crowding Handsome Mike in the first run past the stands. That would have been grounds for disqualification at Beulah, but maybe only if there was a minus show pooll at stake.

Stillriledup
03-05-2013, 02:55 AM
Great comment by Mike Watchmaker on his blog. Oh, and I guess you could say Game On Dude was lucky he wasn't ticketed for coming over and crowding Handsome Mike in the first run past the stands. That would have been grounds for disqualification at Beulah, but maybe only if there was a minus show pooll at stake.
Wow, so true. If he came over like that at Beulah, even for a large purse, he's down...ya know, have to remain consistent there now...they've set a standard that any little brush is grounds for a DQ....i dont know about the rest of you, but my heart and nervous system can't take that type of scrutiny...im of the camp that if i win, i want my money unless there's some kind of extenuating circumstance....which obviously, this Beulah race was not.

Leparoux
03-05-2013, 01:30 PM
I'm not convinced he's THAT much better than Ron the Greek.

cj
03-05-2013, 02:11 PM

You think he is maybe only 3 lengths better?

Stillriledup
03-05-2013, 06:43 PM

If they raced on an eastern track and not the speed highway known as Santa Anita, Greek and Dude are somewhat in the same ballpark. In California, not so much. Greek can get close to Dude, but it depends on the track and the race shape.

Leparoux
03-05-2013, 08:33 PM
You think he is maybe only 3 lengths better?
Without having everything his own way, I'm not sure he is better at all.

SharpCat
03-05-2013, 11:14 PM
Without having everything his own way, I'm not sure he is better at all.

Hard to make the case for Ron The Greek considering he did not even finish in the top 3.

classhandicapper
03-06-2013, 12:13 PM
My feeling on Ron the Greek is that he has a few races in his PPs that were better than they look because he raced against a bias, but it was hard to be confident he would duplicate his last "figure" given that it was on an off track in a moderate field.

At this point, it appears GOD has moved forward a bit and is simply a better horse unless conditions strongly favor RTG.

Tom
03-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Been a while since RTG was competitive in graded stakes.
His glory days are behind him.