PDA

View Full Version : Here's An Owner You Can Root For

Beachbabe
02-28-2013, 02:09 PM
One year ago, Thoroughbred owner Chip McEwen was on a flight on which one of the passengers was a veteran with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

"He had his mental faculties but no longer had the necessary motor skills as the result of an (improvised explosive device)," McEwen recalled. "His dad helped him walk off the plane. His wife was also there, and she was in her 20s, and so were his children, who were about two and four years old. I realized we need to do more for these individuals, but we also need to remember (PTSD) affects their whole family."

Witnessing the veteran and his family cope with the effects of combat motivated McEwen to rename his racing operation Wounded Warrior Stables and donate 10 percent of his horses' purse earnings to the Wounded Warrior Project and other organizations that assist veterans and their families.

The Wounded Warrior Project serves veterans and service members who incurred a physical or mental injury, illness, or wound, co-incident to their military service on or after September 11, 2001, and their families.

"I thought this might help keep their process in the forefront," said McEwen, a 50-year-old pharmaceutical distributor from Fort Myers, Florida, who has been involved in horse racing for approximately 15 years. "It's one small way for me to give back."

Through Wednesday, Wounded Warrior Stables horses have posted a record of 4-5-4 in 34 starts and earned $143,056.

St Liams Halo, claimed for $50,000 by trainer Gary Contessa for Wounded Warrior Stables in his most recent start, will attempt to give the operation its first graded stakes victory when he steps up in class for the Grade 3, $200,000 Tom Fool Handicap on Saturday at Aqueduct.

"We're hoping for a miracle," McEwen said of St Liams Halo, who is listed at 30-1 on the morning line for the Tom Fool.

In addition to the Wounded Warrior Project, Wounded Warrior Stables also supports Retrieving Freedom, which trains and places service dogs with veterans and autistic children, and The Navy SEAL Foundation, which assists Navy SEALs and their families.

McEwen said he owns 33 horses, including broodmares. He has become increasingly involved at yearling and two-year-old sales in recent years and hopes his expanded operation helps bring additional publicity to the Wounded Warrior Project.

"Nobody is in this game who's not an optimist," McEwen remarked. "Maybe the next one is a great one, or so we all hope."

Stillriledup
02-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Sorry BB, i prefer to use my energy rooting for Maggi Moss, Midwest T-breds and Frank C Calabrese instead.

Maybe, if one of my favorite owners gets out of the game, i can fit in your guy.
:D

woodtoo
02-28-2013, 03:46 PM
Great story,thanks for posting. :ThmbUp:
I'll be rooting for him and his horses.

PICSIX
02-28-2013, 05:32 PM
Great story :ThmbUp: :)

cj
02-28-2013, 05:37 PM
That is very cool and a great charity to give to if you can afford to do so.

Dave Schwartz
02-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Wonderful story.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: