PDA

View Full Version : Derby Wars

burt lake
02-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Has anybody used Derby Wars? Is it a legitimate site? I am concerned because it looks like they take credit cards instead of debit cards. I signed up but have not made a deposit yet. I am afraid that if I use a credit card, I will be charged a cash advance fee. ... Or does the charge card look at it as a purchase?
Does it pay consistently on time without fees?
Thanks for the information,
BurtLake

Helles
02-26-2013, 07:24 PM
I've played and been paid promptly at Derby Wars. Kevroc, who posts here occasionally, took down a $5000 prize recently. I know a few people that play there regularly and have always been paid.

cj
02-26-2013, 07:29 PM
It is a very good site. You will get paid.

rrpic6
02-26-2013, 09:06 PM
I've played in a few tourneys and used PayPal, which came out of my checking account.

RR

Charli125
02-26-2013, 09:30 PM
Pays quickly, easy to get money out, easy to deposit, no surcharge(as far as I know), and I play pretty much every week.

It's a good time.

vacationofwealth
02-26-2013, 10:39 PM
I guess the takeout on derby wars beats that at the track in most spots. I wonder why we do not see any competition in this realm to decrease the rake. Once you have the software set up the only true cost is marketing cost. And if you have a site with a say 5% rake word of mouth will travel fast.

classhandicapper
02-27-2013, 02:11 PM
It's a good site.

Cholly
03-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Interesting concept, sharp website, appears they’ve attracted a following by offering good service and a low take-out alternative.

But I can’t help wondering-- Is is feasible that the proprietors could data-mine the betting patterns of the patrons and use that info to formulate wagers to place in the pari-mutual system? For instance, they could determine that while Bettors A, B, C, & D are not profitable in their own right, in those instances when they all land on the same selection in a maiden claiming race it becomes a profitable probability.

Not to insinuate that Derby Wars is doing that; I know nothing of these people or their business practices. But it would seem tempting to put several hundred handicappers (some of them pretty sharp) to work for you.

Charli125
03-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Interesting concept, sharp website, appears they’ve attracted a following by offering good service and a low take-out alternative.

But I can’t help wondering-- Is is feasible that the proprietors could data-mine the betting patterns of the patrons and use that info to formulate wagers to place in the pari-mutual system? For instance, they could determine that while Bettors A, B, C, & D are not profitable in their own right, in those instances when they all land on the same selection in a maiden claiming race it becomes a profitable probability.

Not to insinuate that Derby Wars is doing that; I know nothing of these people or their business practices. But it would seem tempting to put several hundred handicappers (some of them pretty sharp) to work for you.

I'm sure they could, but then again, I'm sure any ADW could do the same, any contest site, and any teller(on a much smaller level). To me, it comes down to a matter of trust. I have to trust people that I'm betting with and I have to trust people that are handling my picks. I trust Derbywars, my ADW, and the contest sites I play at, but the opportunity is certainly there.

Milkshaker
03-03-2013, 09:58 PM

I've often wondered in a similar vein if anybody with inside access to the various "Stable Mail" services (like the DRF's) has been tempted to take a peek now and then.

It would be a big (illicit) coup to be able to check out what unraced 2YOs, etc..are on the radar screens of certain Stable Mail account holders one respects.

jdhanover
03-04-2013, 12:35 AM
I guess the takeout on derby wars beats that at the track in most spots. I wonder why we do not see any competition in this realm to decrease the rake. Once you have the software set up the only true cost is marketing cost. And if you have a site with a say 5% rake word of mouth will travel fast.

They do run some contests that don't fill completely so the 'rake' isnt always what they have. I am sure they have a few more costs than you realize (e.g., the feeds for results, the guy who monitors the games each day etc).

In all, a good site. Maybe other pop up but I am happy with it.

Kevroc
03-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Very prompt and reliable cashouts via check.

They have been expanding their menu of games.

A nice break or an aside to the pari-mutual wagering.

I used a credit card to fund my account and it is treated as a purchase.

Leparoux
03-04-2013, 10:01 AM
I've been playing for about a month now and I think it is great. Zero complaints.