PDA

View Full Version : Affleck & Partners... outed as Tokyo Rose lite!

Rookies
02-25-2013, 07:01 PM
I've been waiting a couple of weeks for this story to play out and last night it was, for the most part, finalized at the Oscars. I get that the Argo thriller (which I haven't seen) is a movie, not a documentary, but this story doesn't go back to 'Lincoln' times (which I did).

After all, you can't dig up Honest Abe, Chase, Seward and Stanton to get the low down on what exactly transpired during the unparalleled Civil War crisis. But, the rescue of 6 U.S. diplomats from Tehran happened in 1979- not 1779! Quite frankly, this was one of the most twisted versions of a political reality ever ginned up by Hollywood.

Affleck, excoriated North of the border for exalting a CIA Agent who spend 1.5 days in Tehran, finally attempted to square reality. Way to lite, way to late Benny boy!:ThmbDown:

This rescue, as attested to by President Jimmy Carter in the last few days, was a virtually 100% Canadian caper, engineered by the Ambassador Ken Taylor. Taylor, the real hero of the film said the following:

"The real-life Canadian hero portrayed in the popcorn thriller Argo says the film's Oscar-nominated screenwriter "had no idea what he's talking about."

And this is the type of person, Canadians and those freed American diplomats have come to love:
"Canada, I think, had a responsibility to respond. We were asked to respond," he said.

"And sure there's risks or what have you, but the alternative for the six was something you wouldn't want to find yourself in. Not that there's much in hindsight, but I really would have trouble if in fact, on one way or another, the Canadian embassy hadn't taken them. That's something that would really haunt you."

Indeed.

horses4courses
02-25-2013, 07:11 PM
What's your point?

Greyfox
02-25-2013, 08:14 PM
What's your point?

His point is that the film grossly misrepresents what actually happened and relegates Canadian Ambassador Ken Taylor to cameo status.

horses4courses
02-25-2013, 08:26 PM
His point is that the film grossly misrepresents what actually happened and relegates Canadian Ambassador Ken Taylor to cameo status.

They fully admitted that from the outset.
It's called "artistic license".
A movie depicting the events factually would have been a real :sleeping:

redshift1
02-25-2013, 08:27 PM
Well this just shocking news, absolutely shocking.

NJ Stinks
02-25-2013, 08:43 PM
I've been waiting a couple of weeks for this story to play out and last night it was, for the most part, finalized at the Oscars. I get that the Argo thriller (which I haven't seen) is a movie, not a documentary, but this story doesn't go back to 'Lincoln' times (which I did).

After all, you can't dig up Honest Abe, Chase, Seward and Stanton to get the low down on what exactly transpired during the unparalleled Civil War crisis. But, the rescue of 6 U.S. diplomats from Tehran happened in 1979- not 1779! Quite frankly, this was one of the most twisted versions of a political reality ever ginned up by Hollywood.

Affleck, excoriated North of the border for exalting a CIA Agent who spend 1.5 days in Tehran, finally attempted to square reality. Way to lite, way to late Benny boy!:ThmbDown:

This rescue, as attested to by President Jimmy Carter in the last few days, was a virtually 100% Canadian caper, engineered by the Ambassador Ken Taylor. Taylor, the real hero of the film said the following:

"The real-life Canadian hero portrayed in the popcorn thriller Argo says the film's Oscar-nominated screenwriter "had no idea what he's talking about."

And this is the type of person, Canadians and those freed American diplomats have come to love:
"Canada, I think, had a responsibility to respond. We were asked to respond," he said.

"And sure there's risks or what have you, but the alternative for the six was something you wouldn't want to find yourself in. Not that there's much in hindsight, but I really would have trouble if in fact, on one way or another, the Canadian embassy hadn't taken them. That's something that would really haunt you."

Indeed.

I saw the movie, Rookies. My wife and I (and the packed crowd who stood up and cheered at the end of the film) were cheering as much for the Canadian ambassador (and our neighbors to the north) as much as we were cheering for the CIA and the USA in general.

I defy anybody to see that movie and not come away with substantially increased appreciation for Canadians everywhere. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
02-25-2013, 08:54 PM
I didn't think Argo deserved Best Picture...not by a longshot.

Can someone tell me why this movie is anything other then above average for Hollywood? What makes it Best Picture? I thought it was good, don't get me wrong, but no way did I think it would ever be in contention for best picture.

Guess I need to see all the other nominees before I state something like this...but on its own, I didn't think it was all that great...

I actually saw Flight around the same time as Argo, and thought it was a much better movie.

Rookies
02-25-2013, 08:58 PM

Affleck admitted it AFTER the initial storm of criticism and has added to the DVD release to ensure that history wasn't complely FUBARed.

I get license. This was altered reality to gin up a complely B.S. CIA role.

http://carpetbagger.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/22/former-canadian-ambassador-renews-criticism-of-argo/

horses4courses
02-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Why would they ever say "we have totally stretched the truth here", while knowing fully that they couldn't re-write history? That's just not motion pictures.

I saw both Argo and Lincoln.
I preferred Lincoln, but the suspense at the end of Argo was terrific.

Even though it was nothing close to the truth, and there were holes in the plot,
they did a great job telling a story in Argo.
An impressive piece of fiction. :ThmbUp:

Tom
02-25-2013, 09:20 PM

Absolutely not!
Canada took great risk to help us out and we owe them a HUGE debt of gratitude.

Artistic license? You mean lie through your miserable teeth to promote your stupid agendas. Artistic license? Truth in advertising - it called lying.

On aside note, who the hell gives a crap what bunch of hollywierd pinko morons think about anything? I saw none of the movies and would not a red cent to see most to them.

horses4courses
02-25-2013, 09:23 PM
Absolutely not!
Canada took great risk to help us out and we owe them a HUGE debt of gratitude.

Artistic license? You mean lie through your miserable teeth to promote your stupid agendas. Artistic license? Truth in advertising - it called lying.

On aside note, who the hell gives a crap what bunch of hollywierd pinko morons think about anything? I saw none of the movies and would not a red cent to see most to them.

No surprises here....... :rolleyes:

Sure, the box office would have been booming without the airport chase, and the suspenseful visit to the Bazaar in Tehran. Neither of those things ever happened. Weeks of sitting around in the Canadian Embassy? Priceless........

Tom
02-25-2013, 09:41 PM
If you need a car chase to sell your movie, it is not a very good movie.

horses4courses
02-25-2013, 09:44 PM
If you need a car chase to sell your movie, it is not a very good movie.

Oh, but you would have loved it, Tom!
They made the Iranian military guards look like real buffoons at the airport.
You shoulda seen it....... :eek:

ArlJim78
02-25-2013, 10:24 PM
didn't see it, don't want to see it. Since getting Netflix a few years back I got hooked on foreign films, which imo are of much greater quality than the current Hollywood product. although from the 40's thru the 70's it was a different story. I still watch the Hollywood films from that era.

Rookies
02-25-2013, 10:43 PM
As mentioned, I've seen both Lincoln & 0 Dark 30 and like them both and appreciate the "artistic licence" of each. Well played, Daniel Day L.!

Am reading Goodwin's 'Team of Rivals'. While I wouldn't say Lincoln did/spoke everything perfectly at all times, his genius lay in bringing disparate forces together at the right moments to advance small parts of his agenda.

Through his impecabble sense of timing, unbridled humour,an uncanny ability to tell hours of poignant tales and a reliance on delegation of authority to a few trusted confidantes, Lincoln kept America afloat and alive.

JustRalph
02-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Spielberg is supposedly hated in Hollywod now days. From what i read anyway. This Argo Oscar was a Fu$& you to Spielberg according to many.

Is anything out of Hollywood accurate? Rarely.......

delayjf
02-26-2013, 12:56 AM
Why is Speilberg hated??

JustRalph
02-26-2013, 01:00 AM
Why is Speilberg hated??

One opine here:

http://www.dfw.com/2013/02/19/756950/preparing-for-another-spielberg.html

During the telecast, there were several "live tweeting" events going on. More than one of those were Hollywood/Movie Critics etc. They all said the same thing.........Spielberg is hated..........

Steve R
02-26-2013, 07:46 AM
I didn't think Argo deserved Best Picture...not by a longshot.

Can someone tell me why this movie is anything other then above average for Hollywood? What makes it Best Picture? I thought it was good, don't get me wrong, but no way did I think it would ever be in contention for best picture.

Guess I need to see all the other nominees before I state something like this...but on its own, I didn't think it was all that great...

I actually saw Flight around the same time as Argo, and thought it was a much better movie.
Agreed. My biggest issue with the film was the use of every Hollywood cliche to create the illusion of suspense. It reminded me of films in which the time bomb dramatically clicks down to 1 second before before being defused. That's not artistic creativity. It's formula film-making.

Beasts of the Southern Wild, Django Unchained, Amour and Silver Linings Playbook were much superior. The rest? Pretty bad.

BlueShoe
02-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Is anything out of Hollywood accurate? Rarely.......
Make that never. As a history buff, have never ever seen a historical film that was accurate in every, or nearly every, detail. On the other hand, a few have been so grossly wrong and historically inaccurate that I refuse to view them when they show up on the tube. The shining example of this is the film that I have long considered to be the worst historical film every made, a film that won several Oscars and many accolades, the totally wrong from start to finish Dances With Wolves.

Actor
02-27-2013, 01:02 AM
Make that never. As a history buff, have never ever seen a historical film that was accurate in every, or nearly every, detail.Tora! Tora! Tora! ?

Gettysburg ?

BlueShoe
02-28-2013, 12:32 AM
Tora! Tora! Tora! ?

Gettysburg ?
Will concede that Tora is pretty good, and is generally considered to be the best of the Pearl Harbor films. But then again, is it really history? How can any event that occured after I was born be considered as such? ;) :D GB I have not viewed, so cannot comment. Also the Civil War is one of my weak areas, not real sharp on it.

pandy
02-28-2013, 08:07 AM
I haven't seen Argo yet but Afleck did a brilliant job with his last film, The Town, which should have been terrible since it had a typical script about bank robbers which we've seen a zillion times before, but The Town was suspenseful and entertaining every step of the way.

Spielberg certainly should have more awards since he is probably the greatest film maker of all time. I still can't believe that Raiders of the Lost Ark didn't win best picture, it revolutionized action films. When I saw it in the theater years ago, people stood up and applauded at the end.

ArlJim78
02-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Spielberg is firmly ensconsed near the top of my all time most over-rated directors list.

horses4courses
02-28-2013, 09:23 AM
Spielberg is firmly ensconsed near the top of my all time most over-rated directors list.

Wow. Holding my breath before hearing the other ensconsees.
Nah.....keep it to yourself. :rolleyes: