PDA

View Full Version : RATABLE RACE

SPEEDHORSE
02-23-2013, 09:05 PM
Does anybody here uses Ray Taulbot's RATABLE RACE concept? He states that a RATABLE RACE is a race wherein the horse sets the pace (I presumed at the 2nd call) or finished within 5 lengths of the winner in its last 3 starts.

This is a different concept than Best of Last 3 approach. Can anyone here make a statement on which of the two is a better approach?

thaskalos
02-23-2013, 10:41 PM
Does anybody here uses Ray Taulbot's RATABLE RACE concept? He states that a RATABLE RACE is a race wherein the horse sets the pace (I presumed at the 2nd call) or finished within 5 lengths of the winner in its last 3 starts.

This is a different concept than Best of Last 3 approach. Can anyone here make a statement on which of the two is a better approach?

IMO...the ideal ratable race is the one that most closely resembles the conditions the horse is asked to face today -- distance, class and pace-wise.

But I have never felt comfortable using only one race with which to define a horse...so I rate several races from each horse's record.

My prime consideration is not the measurement of the horse's best or most recent race. I want to know what the horse is likely to do today...and rating only one race does not tell me that.

Many horses are capable of running one very sharp race. The handicapper's job is to determine if such a race is repeatable under today's conditions.