PDA

View Full Version : No sound

Tom
02-23-2013, 05:14 PM
I have no sound at all today - it worked fine the other day, but now I get an error message "No active mixer devices available"

When I go to CP and add devices, I am told everything listed is working.

:confused::confused::confused:

JustRalph
02-23-2013, 05:18 PM
I have no sound at all today - it worked fine the other day, but now I get an error message "No active mixer devices available"

When I go to CP and add devices, I am told everything listed is working.

:confused::confused::confused:

Go to Device manager. ( hit "pause/break" and "windows key" ) and see what's up

Uninstall or delete sound cards.....then do a hard restart.....see f it comes back

Tom
02-23-2013, 06:20 PM
Hit two keys- nothing at all happens.
I have a whole list of devices under sound - I have no idea what is what.
I tried to update drivers, but that process will not work - cannot get the update site to do anything.

DJofSD
02-23-2013, 06:38 PM
I assume you have some kind of an external speaker system connected to the PC. Make sure it is working. Try cycling the power to the speaker system, adjust the volume and whatever else then see if you can hear anything. I typically use the Windows app under hardware and sound, sound, change system sounds then select an item from the list then click test. While you are in that app, click on the playback tab, see if the item in the list ("speakers" on my system) is enabled, it should have a green check mark.

Anything yet? If not and you still have not confirmed the speakers are working normally, try taking the plug out of the back of the PC and plugging the speakers into a iPod or some other device with either an earphone jack or external speaker jack. If the other device is able to generate sound on the speakers then you have an issue with the PC.

Let us know what you discover.

HUSKER55
02-23-2013, 06:52 PM
TRY moving your connections. I had that problem and finally took it to the repair shop is desperation. It was a faulty connection. The repairman made some new leads and removed a couple links and I haven't had a problem since.

well...except for the $75 he charge me for labor and materials. :D

Good luck

JustRalph
02-23-2013, 06:55 PM
Hit two keys- nothing at all happens.
I have a whole list of devices under sound - I have no idea what is what.
I tried to update drivers, but that process will not work - cannot get the update site to do anything.

Right click on all your sound devices, uninstall them and restart your computer. Make sure speakers are turned all the way up......so as to scare the cat if it comes back.

Tom
02-23-2013, 07:02 PM
I'll try the re-start thing.
I don't think it is the speakers because I cannot even adjust the volume.
When I try, I get the error message of no mixers.

Tom
02-23-2013, 08:10 PM
No options there to disable the drivers.
But re-booting did fix the problem.

I've about had my fill with computers!
Buying a box of pencils at Wal Mart tomorrow. :mad: :D

Tom
03-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Problem solved!

I was using Task Manager to end the svchost.exe when it was hogging resources. That shut off the sound. After a reboot, it was back on.

DJofSD
03-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the report.

That process can appear multiple times in the task manager. The name is a 'catch all' for a generalized gateway to services by the Windows OS. A lot of Windows and non-Windows services are performed via svchost calls, so, ya's got to be careful which one you kill.