PDA

View Full Version : Breeders' Cup to review Lasix ban; may drop three races

Al Gobbi
02-22-2013, 04:53 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/breeders-cup-board-reconsidering-its-lasix-ban-may-drop-juvenile-sprint

Some_One
02-22-2013, 09:34 PM
drop the juvie sprint & filly sprint. I'm think the 3rd race in the crosshairs is the Marathon, but the feel good story surrounding the Argentines who won it last year will hopefully save it.

cj
02-22-2013, 11:37 PM
drop the juvie sprint & filly sprint. I'm think the 3rd race in the crosshairs is the Marathon, but the feel good story surrounding the Argentines who won it last year will hopefully save it.

Drop the filly sprint and not one or both juvy turf races? Ridiculous.

Some_One
02-22-2013, 11:51 PM
Drop the filly sprint and not one or both juvy turf races? Ridiculous.

Those races get full fields and are very good betting races

cj
02-23-2013, 12:01 AM
Those races get full fields and are very good betting races

Yes, but they are hardly "championship" races. We don't need one, let alone two.

I see now it was just your opinion, that's cool. I thought you took it from the article at first.

Some_One
02-23-2013, 12:19 AM
Yes, but they are hardly "championship" races. We don't need one, let alone two.

I see now it was just your opinion, that's cool. I thought you took it from the article at first.

None of those races are real 'World Championship' races, it's just a marketing gimmick.

burnsy
02-23-2013, 09:48 AM
The lasix squabble is something i knew would happen.....wrote about it in one of the BC threads.....now the numbers are out, field size dropped almost 22% and handle about 23% in those races. Now the horsemen in certain jurisdictions are threatening to pull the signal...The bafoonery that is called the Breeders Cup continues. What a history of mismanagement it has been. Hate to say "i told you so".....but i told you so....:)

Thomas Roulston
02-24-2013, 08:15 AM
How does the purse get distributed in a Breeders' Cup race that has fewer than five starters?

We might find out this fall.

tophorse1145
02-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Well these races are going to be really good betting races and I am with Argentines and hope they will going to win again as the last year.

forced89
02-25-2013, 10:09 PM
Handle will be up if they drop the 3 races and allow laxix. Money talks.

Al Gobbi
02-26-2013, 05:46 PM

The three races being looked at heavily by the board are the Juvenile Sprint, Dirt Mile and Juvenile Fillies Turf.

cj
02-26-2013, 06:57 PM
The three races being looked at heavily by the board are the Juvenile Sprint, Dirt Mile and Juvenile Fillies Turf.

I think the Dirt Mile is ok, but it hasn't taken off like many thought. We already have the Met Mile and Cigar Mile for those horses, and their is no "Mile Eclipse Award" anyway.

BIG49010
02-26-2013, 07:03 PM
How many could they run on a single day?

I say change it back to the good old days when it was Breeder's Cup Day.

cj
02-26-2013, 07:04 PM
How many could they run on a single day?

I say change it back to the good old days when it was Breeder's Cup Day.

I put the chances of that happening at right around nil. You can't sell the same seat twice if you run the races on one day.

affirmedny
02-26-2013, 08:06 PM
I think the Dirt Mile is ok, but it hasn't taken off like many thought. We already have the Met Mile and Cigar Mile for those horses, and their is no "Mile Eclipse Award" anyway.

I think it would do better if it was always run at a track that has a one turn mile. Tough to bet posts 12-14 in a two turn mile.

cj
02-26-2013, 08:23 PM
I think it would do better if it was always run at a track that has a one turn mile. Tough to bet posts 12-14 in a two turn mile.

Yeah, which is why I prefer the two I mentioned.

But, I guess if you can run the Turf sprint from 5 to 6.5 furlongs, 70 yards doesn't matter that much.

Al Gobbi
02-27-2013, 10:09 PM
NYRA doesn't want a Breeders' Cup if it involves a lasix ban (though the NYC Marathon is another issue as well)

http://www.drf.com/news/outgoing-nyra-chief-raises-offtrack-betting-plan

Tom
02-27-2013, 10:17 PM
Keep all the races, add a mule race, and put all the original on day2 and the rest on day 1. Allow Lasix and hand out reefer at the gate for the patrons.

Woo Hoo!

Al Gobbi
03-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Breeders' Cup has officially eliminated the Juvenile Sprint and will ban lasix from the 2yo races this year.

cj
03-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Breeders' Cup has officially eliminated the Juvenile Sprint and will ban lasix from the 2yo races this year.

The Juvy Sprint is eliminated after a year...nice foresight there. There was no Lasix last year either, right?

acorn54
03-01-2013, 06:15 PM
do they have issues of short fields with the banning of lasix in other countries such as dubai or hong kong and the consequence of diminishing wagering handle?
seems like it is just a case of the clowns running the circus-simply the sign of the times in america.

Cholly
03-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Unfortunately, restricting race-day lasix ban isn't likely to gain traction until Godolphin & Coolmore quit buying U.S. bred horses. After all, it is the "Breeder's" Cup.

Al Gobbi
03-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Darley rep quits BC Board offer Lasix issue:

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/people/darley-exec-exits-breeders-cup-board-over-lasix-reversal/#.UTOuO3RpW_A.twitter

Al Gobbi
03-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Just days before the Breeders' Cup board of directors conducted a vote on Salix use at its 2013 world championships, prominent owners Gary and Mary West threatened litigation against the organization.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/76815/owners-consider-suit-against-bc-on-salix

burnsy
03-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Just days before the Breeders' Cup board of directors conducted a vote on Salix use at its 2013 world championships, prominent owners Gary and Mary West threatened litigation against the organization.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/76815/owners-consider-suit-against-bc-on-salix

Your last two posts show what a mess the BC made of this issue....now the camps are divided up and the issue is more contentious than ever. The Breeders Cup with their usual "infinite wisdom", thinks with one foul swoop they can mandate an outcome because they hold a two day racing event. The thing was originally a national event that traveled to different tracks......now they want to claim to be the "World Championships" which in itself is a total joke. Its turned the thing into a political football from so many angles, when these people have to race their horses the other 363 days of the year. Somehow they have the nerve to think that people can't operate without the Breeders Cup with the attitude that rules can be delegated through their organization with the power of a king..........what did they get? another big Horse racing cluster f*ck........I love the game, but it seems like people are always screwing it up from the inside, then they bitch when the people on outside give a negative opinion. They still have not figured out that alot of this negative attention is brought on by self infliction. I'm not a doctor, a trainer or a vet.....i don't have the scientific answer for this. But i do know something about economics and political science, you don't make the laws of the land without getting consensus.....just throwing crap on the wall to see if it will stick....is good way to get yourself sued in this country....and some of these folks have the "gas" to pay attorneys until the cows come home.....Gee, i'm just some shmuck on an internet discussion i and figured that out months ago when they announced this folly.

Al Gobbi
03-21-2013, 12:21 PM
new numbers are out, showing the BC only had a operating profit of $2.7 million for 2011. If the full Lasix ban was still enforced, it could have put the organization in cash-negative territory.

Also with the BC still looking for a 2014 host site, it is unclear if the 2013 policy will survive.

http://www.drf.com/news/lasix-ban-breeders-cups-hand-forced-waning-support