PDA

View Full Version : "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" 02/21/2013

Teach
02-21-2013, 10:23 AM
“Somewhere over the rainbow…Way up high.” Judy Garland, “The Wizard Of Oz,” 1939. “Just Follow the Yellow Brick Road.”

Gulfstream Park: Thurs., February 21:

“Rainbow” Pick-6

Race Five:
:5: Windsor Garden is an interesting play here. Solid breeding, e.g., Seattle Slew, Cryptoclearance. The filly has held her own in this company. Should like the added distance. Jilver Chamafi is an improving jock. This just might be this filly’s wakeup call.

:9: Tiz Mariand is “a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma” (said about Russia at the start of World War II by Winston Churchill). On paper, this filly shows potential. However, thus far, this Tiznow-bred distaffer has yet to hit the tote. Well, she now draws outside. She has the services of an improving apprentice, Edgar Zayas. She’s dropping down with the kind that she should be able to handle. I note that the filly went off the chalk in a 50-thou claimer last fall at Calder; she finished sixth. She looks like “a contendah” here, not a palooka.

:6: Classy And Serene has hit the board in three of four tries at the distance. The filly has the services of one of the leading jocks at the meet, Luis Saez (this could be his “red-letter” day). I believe the filly’s a factor.

:8: Flip Flap is a filly who might benefit from stretching out a couple furlongs. She’ll need the perfect trip, but, at her best, this Pulpit-bred filly can pose a threat.

Race Six:

:5: Ribo Bobo is a recent claim. This Louis Quatorze-bred gelding now joins the Jason Servis barn. That may enhance this gelding’s chances. This horse should not be overlooked, especially with the most capable Luis Saez in the irons.
:7: Peace At Dawn is a threat in this company. The 6-year-old Peace Rules-bred gelding has faced better. He should benefit from his outside starting post. He was recently claimed by owner-trainer Larry Rivelli. Will the gelding pay immediate dividends? Watch him on the tote and in the post parade.

:1: Sheik Polis is taking a significant drop in this claiming sprint. The DRF even notes: “suspicious drop in class today”. Is he sound? Only his trainer knows. Yet, I believe this gelding has a chance. He certainly has faced better. I’d like him even better on a wet track; yet, he’s certainly capable of winning on a dry surface, as well.

:3: Stolz hasn’t been out since last October when he finished third at Delaware Park. This Mt. Livermore-bred gelding put together a nice streak during the late summer and early fall of last year when he hit the tote on four straight occasions. The gelding’s morning works are nothing to write home about, but he could surprise.Race Seven:

#8 He’s So Fine (Thank you, Chiffons; “do-lang, do-lang, do-lang“) has the services of The Hall-of-Famer, John Velazquez. Nuff Said! Johnny V. is a master at finding space in turf routes. The Pulpit-bred colt has been away from the races for almost three months; yet his morning work-tab is solid. The only other time he tried the lawn he finished fifth in Grade 2 stakes company at “The Spa”.

#7 Midnight Notes gets the chauffeuring services of “El Dominicano,” Joel Rosario. This Notebook-bred colt has hit the tote in both his turf tries at the distance. Ed Plesa, Jr. trains.

#6 Dad’z Laugh has hit the tote in two of three turf tries. The colt ran second last time out in a similar race. Paco Lopez in the irons for trainer Dubis Chaparro.

Race Eight:

#6 Relentless Road won his last almost a month and a half ago (he was claimed out of that one by The Midwest Thoroughbreds, Jamies Ness, trainer). The Bellamy Road-bred gelding had a recent “bullet” work in which he drilled four furlongs in :47.1, handily. The gelding appears ready for his returns to the races. Paco Lopez is in the irons.

#9 Absolutcat ran “a clunker” last time (he went off the chalk). It appears that Corey Lanerie was a bit tardy in getting this Storm Cat-bred gelding out and going off the break. The horse looks like he was rushed up to the lead only to run out gas as they reached the far turn. The gelding finished up the track. A chance to make amends.

#8 Big Ara K fits well in this company. The colt did win last November at Calder against slightly better claiming company. The colt is 4 for 7 lifetime. Juan Leyva for Steve Dwoskin.

#3 Rimal Al Sahara is my out-in-leftfield longshot try. Tough to quantify. Only one win in 35 lifetime starts. Yikes!! Yet the gelding was second in his last in this company, and third before that. Jilver Chamafi for H. Allen Jerkens.

Race Nine:

#8 Starship Wildcat has won two in a row (actually, he was placed fourth in his last through disqualification). This colt has solid turf breeding; he’s a threat in this company. Manny Cruz for Steve Dwoskin.

#7 Don’t Say No gets the services of Javier Castellano. The Storm Cat-bred gelding is solid in turf sprints. With proper handling, this gelding becomes a player in this race. Castellano may need to angle his horse to the outside to make his stretch run. He may be widest of all, but he also may be first under the wire. Jamie Ness trains.

#11 Memphislivesinme has faced better. He’s another horse who, if he gets “the trip,” can be a factor. The Jolie’s Halo-bred gelding has hit the tote in six out of 8 lifetime turf tries. Not too shabby! Elvis Trujillo retains the ride for trainer Ed Plesa, Jr.

#1 The Chill Zone may make things interesting along the inner hedge. If jockey Luis Saez can get this speedy Concorde’s Tune-bred horse out and going early on, he may prove very tough to catch. I believe he’s a horse you should consider.

Race Ten:

#5 Jon’s Lady gets my tepid nod here. The Johannesburg-bred filly has faced better. The filly tried the turf last time but was steadied and finished off the board. I like the turf-to-dirt angle. I also like the filly’s pilot, Luis Saez. At her best, she can prevail. Joe Orseno trains.

#6 Lady Lizzy has faced better in the past. The filly hasn’t shown much lately and, in fact, may be better suited for the grass where’s she only hit the tote once in five tries. However, in this relatively soft field, this filly appears to have a class edge. My only concern is that she hasn’t raced in four months; she may need a tightener. Joe Rocco, Jr. for Lisa Lewis.

#8 Daniela’s Flower has finished third in this company in her last two. Prior to that she was second at Tampa. I believe that Fernando Jara is a better jock than his record indicates. At his best, this Gilberto Zerpa-trainee can be a factor.

#9 Lady Ashua is a longshot play. On paper, she shows very little. However, the filly is switching from turf to dirt. She’s also dropping in class. The filly may well benefit from shortening up. The filly’s jockey, Marleni Noguera, is not a household name. The horse’s trainer, Javier Negrete, has saddled only two winners in 41 tries. Yet, having said all this, stranger things have happened. I believe the distaffer might have an outside chance.

Robert Fischer
02-21-2013, 12:38 PM
GOOD LUCK TEACH