PDA

View Full Version : My God, at least set the horse down and make an effort, Mr. Melancon

Milkshaker
02-20-2013, 09:50 PM
How about the stretch run, 7th at Dellta on 2/20?

I know he is a leading rider and that it his style to sit VERY chilly on horses, but when Gerard Melancon is riding a 3-1 pacemaker and the 3-5 fave (with a bugboy aboard) looms right up alongside in deep stretch, at least do SOMETHING to make it appear that you are attempting to finish (and maybe win) with prudent energy.

I'm not saying you have to whip a beaten horse into submission, but his standard "shake the reins once or twice and finish with a wrapped up love tap" appears clownish and disrespectful (to bettors) in a case like this.

The winner coasted home in hand, but seeing Melancon's do almost the same (while not beaten by a wide margin) is excruciating to watch (especially if you bet on him).

A little more effort from a top jock, please!

Stillriledup
02-20-2013, 09:55 PM
I'm sure he will just tell the judges 'the horse felt funny, that's why i rode like i was a 10 lb bug who was just learning the game" and they'll say "ok, no prob".

Jocks are teflon, they're allowed to do anything, they can move out of the way and let their buddy come up the inside, they can wrap up whenever they want and nothing will ever happen to them, no slap on the wrist, no punishment, no nothing.

Its just part of the game, you have to watch carefully when jocks dont ride like their life depends on it and just make a note for next time and try to capitalize on it in the betting world.

Robert Goren
02-20-2013, 10:05 PM
When a horse pulls up the side of a horse "and looks each other in the eye", there is very little a jockey can do at that point. it up to the horses then. That is why some jockeys will try to get their mount four or five lanes away from the leader. He knows his horse will never pass the leader if they are side by side. At least, that what a trainer told me a long time ago. Melancon's horse was beat as soon as the other horse got along side him and he knew it. Anything that he did at that point would have been for show.

WP1981
02-20-2013, 10:09 PM
I have been a big advocate of wanting to know "if" a trainer or owner bet on their own horse. I know there are rules stating that trainers can only bet their nag on top, but I want to know if they did.

I have been roasted for this on forums with a heavy trainer/owner membership. Namely by Bruno De Julio who once stated it was none of my gd business. I had him riled up BC his paid racing selections for a race in question that day did not include a horse he owned that won handily at 25-1.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist and I love the game, but it gets a little sketchy.

Robert Goren
02-20-2013, 10:15 PM
I believe owners or trainers can bet any horse they want. Jockeys can only bet their mount. At least, that is the way it use to be in Nebraska.

maclr11
02-20-2013, 10:21 PM
If your gonna criticize riders for wrapping up I invite you to come ride the 3 legged cripples that are running all wonky and abuse them when they are beat
Wait till one that feels bad snaps one off on you
So until you've done it don't knock it

ArlJim78
02-20-2013, 10:21 PM
he did what he could to win the race on the backstretch, by the turn the horse had shortened stride , didn't have much left to set down into a drive with, was going to get beat no matter what, and didn't gallop out with anything resembling prudent energy either.

MightBeSosa
02-20-2013, 11:55 PM
I believe owners or trainers can bet any horse they want. Jockeys can only bet their mount. At least, that is the way it use to be in Nebraska.

I'm not sure of the legality, but no trainer in their right mind would want it known they were betting against their runner.

tbwinner
02-21-2013, 02:49 AM
I believe owners or trainers can bet any horse they want.

Not if they have a horse in the race. Not in any jurisdiction that I know of. They can only bet their own to WIN. Place/show and gimmicks it gets a little tricky and different places have different rules.

Some places jockeys cannot even bet on a race, not even their mount, except in cases where a trainer or owner buys them a ticket.

tzipi
02-21-2013, 12:50 PM
You can bet any horse as an owner or jockey. You just have someone bet the horse. Who would know?

Milkshaker
02-21-2013, 02:36 PM
In the past 20 years, can you recall any instance, anywhere in North America, where a jockey or trainer was sanctioned for illegal betting on or against his/her horse?

There are rules on the books, for certain. My hunch is that none of them have been updated since the days when pay telephones at tracks were strictly outlawed and exotic multi-race wagering was minimal.

Back in the day (barring laying money with a bookie beforehand), your only option to bet as a horseman was on track, where you could be seen and heard placing a wager with a live teller at a betting window.

The next time you are at the track (if you still go instead of playing online from home), check out how many horsemen are either inside or walking out of the paddock peering at smart phones and/or talking on cell phones. How would you know about (or keep them from) from making wagers via an online interface?

Even if there was a practical way to do this, do you think this is something stewards want to chase down and police in addition to the numerous other duties they have? My experience with racing's regulatory officials is that they want the path of least resistance, because putting in extra effort to make sure the game is on the level just means extra work & hassle for zero extra pay. (Not to mention that if and when they do make rulings in cases like this, they are often challenged by better-equipped smart-ass lawyers who can easily get the rulings overturned in court.)

tbwinner
02-21-2013, 02:43 PM
You can bet any horse as an owner or jockey. You just have someone bet the horse. Who would know?

Well, of course, but RG said "I believe trainers or owners can bet any horse they want" and I took that as to say there were no rules against it. There are rules against it, but, are they enforced? No.

tzipi
02-21-2013, 02:45 PM
In the past 20 years, can you recall any instance, anywhere in North America, where a jockey or trainer was sanctioned for illegal betting on or against his/her horse?

There are rules on the books, for certain. My hunch is that none of them have been updated since the days when pay telephones at tracks were strictly outlawed and exotic multi-race wagering was minimal.

Back in the day (barring laying money with a bookie beforehand), your only option to bet as a horseman was on track, where you could be seen and heard placing a wager with a live teller at a betting window.

The next time you are at the track (if you still go instead of playing online from home), check out how many horsemen are either inside or walking out of the paddock peering at smart phones and/or talking on cell phones. How would you know about (or keep them from) from making wagers via an online interface?

Even if there was a practical way to do this, do you think this is something stewards want to chase down and police in addition to the numerous other duties they have? My experience with racing's regulatory officials is that they want the path of least resistance, because putting in extra effort to make sure the game is on the level just means extra work & hassle for zero extra pay. (Not to mention that if and when they do make rulings in cases like this, they are often challenged by better-equipped smart-ass lawyers who can easily get the rulings overturned in court.)

Good point, so many options today but even back in the day a jock, trainer or owner didn't have to go up to the teller themselves. Like if it was me, I would just say to you, "Hey Milkshaker, here's $500, put it on so and so for me." Who would know?

Stillriledup
02-21-2013, 03:00 PM

They would know if you shout from the mountaintops "LOOK AT ME".

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86127&page=1&pp=15&highlight=aguirre