PDA

View Full Version : RIP my dear friend---Joanied

WinterTriangle
02-20-2013, 02:42 PM
I wanted to let you all know that my dear friend, Joanied, and a member of this forum, has passed away.

For Joanied, horses were in her blood, her heart, and her soul. She was an incredibly hard worker, a friend to all animals esp. horses, and a delightful person in general.

She loved to talk about horses, horseracing, and anything connected to our sport, and she had an deep reverence for all that this encompassed. She shared a lot of that with us here and it came through so genuinely.

I learned much about horses from Joanied, and a lot about keeping a cheery attitude.

She had a tremendous amount of gratitude for the opportunity to own and be around her beloved horses. She once wrote, when people remarked on what loving care she gave her thoroughbreds:
"My mares may be lucky to have me....just as I'm sure every horse owned by someone is lucky to have them...but you know what....I am the lucky one...I've been blessed with wonderful mares that made my Foolish Dreams come true!

RIP my dear friend. I hope you are riding a gentle shedrow pony on the backside in Heaven. You will be so deeply missed.

thaskalos
02-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Terrible news...and my heart goes out to the family and friends that she has left behind.

She was a great person...and I always enjoyed reading her thoughtful, delightful postings.

My prayers go with her...

mountainman
02-20-2013, 03:02 PM
I wanted to let you all know that my dear friend, Joanied, and a member of this forum, has passed away.

For Joanied, horses were in her blood, her heart, and her soul. She was an incredibly hard worker, a friend to all animals esp. horses, and a delightful person in general.

She loved to talk about horses, horseracing, and anything connected to our sport, and she had an deep reverence for all that this encompassed. She shared a lot of that with us here and it came through so genuinely.

I learned much about horses from Joanied, and a lot about keeping a cheery attitude.

She had a tremendous amount of gratitude for the opportunity to own and be around her beloved horses. She once wrote, when people remarked on what loving care she gave her thoroughbreds:
"My mares may be lucky to have me....just as I'm sure every horse owned by someone is lucky to have them...but you know what....I am the lucky one...I've been blessed with wonderful mares that made my Foolish Dreams come true!

RIP my dear friend. I hope you are riding a gentle shedrow pony on the backside in Heaven. You will be so deeply missed.

My goodness. I am so saddened. A wonderful person and honorable poster.

TJDave
02-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Sad day. I enjoyed and anticipated reading her posts. Her love and care for horses an example for us all. My condolences to friends and family.

horses4courses
02-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Very sorry to hear this. My sympathy to her family.
Just knew Joanied through her posts here, and her love of horses was clear to see in each one of them.

redshift1
02-20-2013, 03:29 PM
I remember her, will miss her posts.

Tom
02-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Very sad news.
I liked Joanied. My condolences, WT, and to her family.

ArlJim78
02-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Such sad news. Joanied was easy to like and admire on the board here. Her kindness and love of horses was evident to all. My condolences.

PhantomOnTour
02-20-2013, 03:52 PM

What a wonderful piece to remember your and our friend Joanied.
Very well written - my best wishes to you and all that knew Joanied personally. I remember her posts here well, and her love for the horse.
RIP

FantasticDan
02-20-2013, 03:53 PM
Very sorry to hear this. She was a valued contributor to this forum and a champion for the animals she loved.. :ThmbUp:

Robert Goren
02-20-2013, 03:54 PM
So Sad
RIP Joaned

tucker6
02-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Dear Joanie,

I meant to send you a note last week as I hadn’t heard from you in a long while. I guess it’s true what they say. Never wait until tomorrow to do the things that need done today. You don’t have your pain anymore and that’s a good thing, and I hope you didn’t suffer. You have Bo and Emmett and Biscuit and Toy Moon with you again, as well as Foolish Pleasure himself!! We’ll miss you deeply in the horse world. You have a good soul for animals and they will miss you so much more than we people will, and that’s plenty enough.

Condolences to your husband on his loss. He married a great gal. Rest In Peace my friend.

Tom

Marshall Bennett
02-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Sad news. Rip.

NJ Stinks
02-20-2013, 05:20 PM
WinterTriangle, I appreciate your heart-felt and beautifully-written post.

While I did not know Joanied nearly as well as many here, this news has still hit me hard. May she rest in peace.

For those who didn't know Joanied well and for those who did, you may interested in re-visiting the post below. The words below were posted by Joanied on January 23, 2011 in an Off Topic thread called "Who Are You?"

Some of these stories have left me with tears in my eyes...those of you that have suffered the loss of a loved one touch the heart, and you have my sympathy and my admiration for getting yourself and those close to you through such saddness. Some very special folks here.

I'm 63 :eek: (how'd that happen!)...grew up a tom-boy running around the neighborhood in Bensonhurst, Bklyn...my dad, a WWII vet had a paint & wallpaper business on Coney Island Av. All my grandparents came over and through Ellis Island (one grandpa has his name on the wall there)...I'm of Irish & Italian bloodlines. My love for horses began as a kid in Bklyn, I guess riding the ponies at a place near the Verazzano Bridge, and the Steeplechase ride at Coney Island. The house in Bensonhurst was built by my mom's father in the late 1800's, and stood until only several years ago when some moron tore it down for an apartment building...I loved that house!
My folks moved us to Elmont and I attended Elmont Memorial HS...I got through school by the skin of my teeth, my art classes always kept my grade average at graduating level :D ...I hated school, and if I had liked it, could have attended F.I.T after graduation...but when we moved to Elmont I saw for the first time, Belmont Park and would hang out at the fenceline to see all the horses go by...from that first sight of the mighty grandstand, I knew what I wanted to do with my life...I think it was meant to be because I went to school with Jim Dailey's kids...he was a legend at Belmont...lead outrider (he brought Secretariat back after his Belmont win)...I drove his son Jimmy nuts asking about the track and wanting a job there...when there were no women working there...I was determined.
After graduation (age 17) I moved out on my own and my first great job was back in NYC...I had an apt in Queens, just off Jamacia Av. I worked for a womens clothing store chain doing window display...the main store was on 5th Av, near St. Patty's...but all I could think about was Belmont...I eventually got back in touch with Jimmy Dailey, met a friend of his and got my first job, walking hots for Ira Hanford...and married that friend of Jimmy's, a Viet Nam vet and one of the best exercise riders at Belmont. I did divorce him years later, and because of that, I left NY for good:( ...
I've lived in several states,coast to coast, best time was in Ocala on a horse farm there...it was wonderful and that started my 'dream' of having my own horses some day...
I was a crazy hippie back in the day...went to Woodstock, lived a hippie type life...including drugs, went to dozens of concerts and saw some of the great bands play...Woodstock is kind of a blur:D ...I was wild, crazy and independent...and strong enough to be one of the first gals working on the backside...and later i would do other men type jobs to earn a living...including working for Burlington-Northern RailRoad...along with one other gal and 35 guys, I tore up the old track and laid down the new...hardest job I ever had, but it was great.
I wanted back on the race track so decided to head for CA., wound up in WY. because my dad died and my mom wanted to live with me...couldn't drag her to CA and the track...at the time I was making a 6 mo stop in Colo. and worked on a ranch there, saving my $$ to get to CA. and SA...but when the ranch I was on moved up here to WY. I went with them...mom in tow...to make this part of my story short, I met and married my husband of 25 years...he was an oil field roughneck before he started to farm...when I met him I found out why I never had children, he lost the mother of his kids, she was killed, so when we married, I adopted them both, and now they are married and we have 5 grandchildren...
so I've been farming for the last 25 years, and it's about as hard an occupation you can have...but in that time period I was re united with the Champion Foolish Pleasure, and his owners gave me a few of their mares and I was able to live a dream and have my own horses...and foals. I called my operation 'Foolish Dream Farm'...bred the mares to QH stallions and had a great run for about 10 years...when I began to retire the mares, I sorta weaned myself from the business...I have horses I bred all over the country and Canada...I'm very proud of the foals I bred.(tha's one in my avatar)
Animals are my life long love...and the horses a passion I'll die with...I began following racing the day Carry Back won the Kentucky Derby...I still miss the track and I still miss having foals on the ground... but my life took me on a pretty good ride and although I have no race tracks nearby, we have a wonderful farm to live on, I'm surrounded by mountains and wildlife, married a good man, have good kids and grandkids, have animals in my life, we have 3 dogs, a goofy cat, my horses and guess I have to count the cows (ugh)...we work our butts off...but it keeps you fit, if nothing else!

Lots of other stuff I could include...but this is the basic story of 'who I am' :sleeping: hope it didn't put you to sleep:)

098poi
02-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Sad news, my condolences to all.

lamboguy
02-20-2013, 05:23 PM
she was 100% wonderful person, i am very sad for all her and all her close friends. we all share in a huge loss.

RIP

plainolebill
02-20-2013, 05:38 PM
So sorry to hear this news. RIP joanied.

PICSIX
02-20-2013, 05:48 PM
RIP...my condolences to family and friends.

Tape Reader
02-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Terribly sad news.
joanied was one of my favorites. That gal had a heart as big as the great blue sky. My sincere condolences to her family and friends.

cj's dad
02-20-2013, 06:20 PM
RIP Joanie- I remember sending you a t-shirt from The Belmont Stakes. God Rest!!

Bobzilla
02-20-2013, 06:21 PM
I didn't know Joanied other than the Joanied I knew from reading her posts on this site that were always upbeat and cheery, and yet I feel as though I've just learned of the passing of an old friend. I could be wrong but I seem to remember her as being the one who was trying to mend a wounded owl back to health at one point, or something like that. Her good nature, her love and respect for all living things, and her desire to live her life as she wanted are some of the qualities that made her such a wonderful person. I hadn't seen her post recently, and I wondered why at times as she always did seem at home here, but it's very sad to know that I won't see her here again. My condolences to her family and friends. Rest in peace good soul.

HUSKER55
02-20-2013, 06:46 PM
RIP JOANIED, I had been wondering where she went to and thought of sending an email to see what was going on. Friends we make on the internet and in this forum are a special kind. I liked her and I will miss her.

Dave Schwartz
02-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Sad news to hear. She will be missed.

Warm Regards,
Dave Schwartz

badcompany
02-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Sorry to hear about Joanied.

R.I.P

pandy
02-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks for posting her bio NJ. Wow, what a woman, what a life. I'm sure she'll be missed.

johnhannibalsmith
02-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Even when things got sort of dirty and ugly the way they tend to on the internet, joanied was somehow able to be the joint's one person counterbalance to all of that. That's a hard job to fill and knowing that it was missing just in this website context, I can only assume she's missed even more for all the same reasons by those that knew her in life. I imagine that she's one of those good ones that makes it easy on others by genuinely having a life to celebrate when it gets easy to simply mourn.

tucker6
02-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Joanie at her best:

Oh...we'll take tomorrow off and I think we'll load up the dogs in the car and drive up near Yellowstone Park, stop at one of our places on the Yellowstone River and get some R&R...once the farming really gets going, it's almost impossible to get a day off all summer long...24/7, kinda like the race track!! I'll think about you when we're chillin' near the river and looking up at the mountains:)

Joanie

Not a bad way to live if you ask me ...

OntheRail
02-20-2013, 08:12 PM
We all answer the call... it's the path we take that gives it meaning.

I did not know her other then reading post and replies.. but she seemed like a warm and very caring person.

R.I.P Joanied

sandpit
02-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Through our posts, Joanie and I shared our love of Wyoming a few times over the years, and I am grateful this forum brought us together in that way.

The theme of this thread has been one of appreciation for her perpetually kind and gentle nature, something I know I personally lack far too often.

Like all of us here, I will miss her.

cdax
02-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Sorry to hear. All my prayers and condolences to family and friends.

HuggingTheRail
02-20-2013, 10:09 PM
Very sad to hear this. Deep condolences and prayers to all of her family and friends.

Tom
02-20-2013, 10:12 PM
WinterTriangle, I appreciate your heart-felt and beautifully-written post.

While I did not know Joanied nearly as well as many here, this news has still hit me hard. May she rest in peace.

For those who didn't know Joanied well and for those who did, you may interested in re-visiting the post below. The words below were posted by Joanied on January 23, 2011 in an Off Topic thread called "Who Are You?"

Very nice, NJ.....very nice.:ThmbUp:

so.cal.fan
02-20-2013, 10:38 PM
It was wonderful to read this sweet lady's post.
What a great gal she was!!!!

Thank you for posting her comment.....we all know her now.

RIP dear Joanied.

riskman
02-20-2013, 11:52 PM
Joanied was a sincere and honest person in her posts on this site.
She will be missed here at PA and my condolences to her family and friends.

PaceAdvantage
02-20-2013, 11:54 PM
Very sad and very unexpected. WT emailed me the sorrowful news on Feb 18, and being the lazy SOB I am, I didn't read the email until yesterday.

She said she wanted to come back here and read some of joanied's old posts as part of her grieving process...I think that would be a great way for all of us who enjoyed her contributions to remember her...

I didn't know joanied personally, but she was a welcome and active member of the board from the time she joined in 2007 until the time she left for greener pastures back in mid 2011.

She was missed after she left here back then, and she'll certainly be missed forever more by her friends here and her friends and family who were fortunate enough to know her in "real life." My sympathy goes out to them...

Rest in peace joanied....

Steve 'StatMan'
02-21-2013, 12:42 AM
Thanks for letting us know this sad news. Joanied, you were wonderful, and we all will miss you.

Stillriledup
02-21-2013, 12:48 AM
Condolences to the friends and family of JoanieD.

Her signature here at PA reads:

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"

RIP Joanie.

Shelby
02-21-2013, 12:57 AM
Oh my GOD, I'm deeply saddened. Joanie was one of the first people that made me feel welcome here at this forum.
I'm at a loss for words.....I've been missing her for months and months now. Oh Joanie you made this world a better place.

edited to add:

Thank you so much WinterTriangle for telling us. Sincerely, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.

tzipi
02-21-2013, 01:11 AM
I was so, so sad to read this. I always liked talking to Joanied on here. Still have some PM's from her in my inbox from a while back. Will miss her along with everyone else. R.I.P Joanied. Love ya.

nijinski
02-21-2013, 01:21 AM
My sincere condolences to her loved ones .
This is very sad news . RIP Joanied !

LottaKash
02-21-2013, 02:14 AM
Oh my gosh...what sad news to hear...

At my my age I've seen so many take their turn, and somehow I have learned to live with the reality of our mortality and such, and yet after learning of her passing, I still went flush as if something so very good in the world had suddenly come to an end....

I only knew JoanieD from her posts and an occasional pm here and there, and still there is this loss that I feel so deeply....She had that kind of impact on the people she intersected with....

Suddenly it seems, one of the few remaing bright spots in this ever darkening world as of late, has been removed....I truly lament the passing of people with those bright lights..

Still, as a believer, I know that JoanieD is back from where we all have come, and she will do well in that dimension...

My sincerest thoughts and prayers for the family and friends who are left behind and who must come to grips with the loss of a truly wonderful person in their lives...

Make a space for me JoanieD,.. See ya soon girl...

tbwinner
02-21-2013, 02:29 AM
Joanied was a very sensible and knowledgeable poster. Very very sad to hear this....she will be missed!

NY BRED
02-21-2013, 06:54 AM
rest in peace my fellow Brooklyn bud,we had several messages
between ourselves on NY racing and memories of Bensonhurst.

A sad day for all of us on the forum.

Johnny V
02-21-2013, 07:43 AM
My sympathy and condolences to her family and friends. RIP.

precocity
02-21-2013, 08:03 AM
remember her avatar that had a beautiful gray mare she had cant remember the mare name but she was a joyful spirit on this forum.RIP JOANIED :(

Red Knave
02-21-2013, 08:06 AM
Sad news indeed. In any conversation, hers was a voice that would always bring you back to what was important in this game.

And, WinterTriangle, what a touching tribute.

Condolences to her family and friends.

Ocala Mike
02-21-2013, 09:49 AM
A truly sad bit of news. RIP, Joanied; you will be missed.

turninforhome10
02-21-2013, 09:59 AM
This was my favorite thread by Joanie and always loved her passion for the animals. God just got a very good steward for his stables.
RIP JoanieD
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81452

This is a song I play for all parted folks that have touched me. Thanks for the indulgence
671AgW9xSiA

Midnight Cruiser
02-21-2013, 10:20 AM
What a life. God Bless Joanie and may she rest in peace.

bushwick
02-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Last year I noticed her abscence and tried to reach her with no luck. I thought something bad must have happened to her. Hope she wasnt suffering this long. I feel somewhat empty knowing she has passed rather than just stopped posting on PA.

Investorater
02-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Joanied, you will be missed by so many.

She posted,.....I believe under the membername Foolish47 over at the horse-races.net forum.

Resting in peace.....

wisconsin
02-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Oh wow, how sad. :(

Joanied had once shared her life story with me on this very board. I always hoped she would make it once again to a major racetrack as she yearned to do so badly. A hard worker, she was, and she will be missed.

5k-claim
02-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Thoughts and prayers with the family and friends of Joanied.

tucker6
02-21-2013, 03:13 PM

Joanied had once shared her life story with me on this very board. I always hoped she would make it once again to a major racetrack as she yearned to do so badly. A hard worker, she was, and she will be missed.
The last time I conversed with Joanie, she was hoping to go to the BC races last fall. Don't know if she made it.

Robert Fischer
02-21-2013, 05:51 PM
sorry to hear this. RIP

Beachbabe
02-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Oh my ! So sorry to hear this sad news. Used to interact with Joannie when I first came on this forum; she seemed to be such a nice person. Hadn't seen her post in a long time & I regret not inquiring about her. Rest in peace beautiful lady.

CryingForTheHorses
02-21-2013, 08:03 PM
OMG...I am so saddened by this.I reconnected Joanied with her old brotherinlaw last year.I made the connection for her due to her wanting to clear up some life issues she wanted to put at peace.She was a grand lady who always put herslf last for others or a animal at need.I will miss her.Rest in peace dear Joanied and please give the big horse you loved so much a pat for me. The world lost a great horsewoman. God Bless you Joanied.

Wickel
02-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Shocking news. We were all the better for Joanied's contribution to this forum. Like many of us, I learned much from her posts and will miss her heartfelt knowledge of the sport we all love so much. Condolences to her husband and the family. RIP Joanied.

Exotic1
02-21-2013, 09:46 PM
So Sad. What a a heartache.

Thank you NJ for your post.

Lasix67
02-21-2013, 10:05 PM
So sorry to hear this. RIP my friend.

Grits
02-21-2013, 11:44 PM
Joanie's family will love her and mourn her passing for quite a long time. She's left a void that may never be filled.

If we believe. And I do. We feel comfort in the knowledge that we'll be reunited with those we love. Having left her earthly life behind, she's now with family, with friends, and as we know from her presence here, her horses. All have been waiting for her.

What more could we ask? Enjoy your rest, Joanie.

shouldacoulda
02-22-2013, 05:18 AM
How sad indeed. I only knew her from this forum but she was always kind and gracious in her posts. She will be missed. RIP Joanied.

bks
02-22-2013, 07:22 AM
I found Joanie's spirit on this board exceedingly genuine and caring. I never read anyone post with more affection and pure love for these beautiful animals. Around here, she was truly one of a kind.

All the best to her family and friends.

Hope to hear from you again under better circumstances, WT. :)

nelliekoren
02-22-2013, 09:06 AM
What a beautiful life.

rubicon55
02-22-2013, 09:51 AM
Thank you Winter Triangle for posting otherwise I would have never known. Loved her posts which was from a different horse racing perspective. Condolences to her family and friends. RIP.

Enigma
02-22-2013, 10:20 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends R.I.P.

classhandicapper
02-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Sorry to hear this. Condolences to her family and friends.

Pine Tree Lane
02-22-2013, 02:15 PM
I still have some PM's we shared regarding our Brooklyn days. I used to kid her that an Italian from Brooklyn ending up in Wyoming meant one thing....The Witness Preotection Program! She go such a kick out of that.

Prayers to her family.

Shelby
02-22-2013, 04:34 PM
I was just looking at old pm's and came across one where I told Joanie I was betting a horse named Joanie's Catch at 30-1 in the Kentucky Oaks in 2010. She got a kick out of that :)

WinterTriangle
02-22-2013, 05:10 PM
I would really like to thank the members of this forum for sharing your beautiful insights! Reminiscing with you all really brought a lot of inner joy and peace.

I printed out a few pages to send to her family so they could see that Joanied meant something to this community.

(The only thing that could have been better was if the horses could post, too. ;) )

I just can't thank you all enough.

Re-reading some of her old posts here also reminded me that she had a beautiful life living her "foolish dream" and that was just such a good reminder to press on and do the same.

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

I really enjoyed my visit, and thank you, Pace.

castaway01
02-22-2013, 05:30 PM
My condolences to Joanie and her family. RIP.

onefast99
02-22-2013, 06:15 PM
I just got back from a business trip and I am very saddened to hear this news. May she rest in peace. I will miss her on this forum.

tzipi
02-22-2013, 06:25 PM
I would really like to thank the members of this forum for sharing your beautiful insights! Reminiscing with you all really brought a lot of inner joy and peace.

I printed out a few pages to send to her family so they could see that Joanied meant something to this community.

Great idea WT :) . Not only will she live on in her family's hearts but she will also live on, here in Pace's board :ThmbUp:

CincyHorseplayer
02-22-2013, 10:09 PM
WinterTriangle PM'd me a few days ago because I did the same a few weeks ago.I was wondering where our "girls" were.WE've got some great ones on here,WinterTriangle,Shelby,Grits,and Joanie(I hope I'm not missing anyone).Man I've been missing her enthusiasm for a while.Sad to hear this.Passion for horses,first and foremost,then the intellectuality of the game.Heart and mind.That's what made her such a classy lady.RIP sweetheart.

Rod

Donnie
02-22-2013, 11:06 PM
Always sad to hear of the passing of a fellow horseplayer. But she was so much more than that. She has walked where many of us wish we could have. Rest in Peace, Joanie.

tucker6
02-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Joanie's obituary was posted today. A great life indeed. She gathered no moss on the bottom of those feet.

Joanie Marie Hanebury Davison

(Sept. 10, 1947 - Feb. 17, 2013)

Joanie Marie Hanebury Davison died in her sleep on Sunday morning, Feb. 17, 2013 at the University of Colorado Hospital in Denver, Colo. Joanie lived with her husband and partner Mitch Davison on their farm near Powell. She was 65 years young.

Joanie was born on Sept. 10, 1947 in Brooklyn, N.Y. Her early childhood was in the same three-story house that her mother Marie Struzzieri Hanebury (1912-2011) was born in. Her father Raymond Hanebury (1916-1977) emigrated from an English-Irish community of St. John’s, Newfoundland.

In 1956, Raymond moved Joanie and her brother Louis (1950) to Elmont, Long Island, N.Y., and she graduated from Elmont Memorial High School in 1965. Joanie was an art and design student. Her drawings, however, were of animals and horses. She went to work for a New York department store as a window dresser for a while, but eventually took a job at Aqueduct and Belmont race tracks as a groom and walker. She worked at Belmont during the 2- and 3 year-old campaigns of champion thoroughbred racehorse Foolish Pleasure. Here she acquired significant knowledge about horses, trainers and breeders.

Joanie moved to Ocala, Fla., and worked on a horse breeding farm which led her to a job raising Appaloosas near Rifle, Colo. The ranch eventually moved to Dayton, Wyo. Joanie’s search for who she was led her temporally to California.

That adventure brought her back to Cody, and close to her brother Louis who lived in Meeteetse, working on the Black Footed Ferret re-introduction. She worked various jobs including laying track for the Burlington Northern Railroad and security guard for the Cody Museum. Joanie was also the dutiful daughter and welcomed her mother Marie in her life’s travels. Joanie’s search for who she was finally ended when she met Mitch Davison, a widower with two young sons. For the next 27 years she and Mitch raised two boys and ran a farm and cattle operation eventually encompassing 700 irrigated acres across 20 miles.

Joanie discovered that Foolish Pleasure had retired to a ranch in Wyoming. The Vanderhoefs, owners of the ranch, struck up a new relationship with Joanie and gave her a thoroughbred mare in foal to start her own Foolish Dream Farm. As a member of the American Quarter Horse Association, she created an amazing website and raised quality quarter horse/thoroughbred weanling prospects that were built for speed. She sold foals across the U.S. and Canada.

Joanie was the dutiful mother, cook, nurse, chauffeur, parts-chaser and truck driver. Although busy 24/7 with helping with the farm, Joanie was the consummate interior decorator — always remodeling and painting. She was a student of the Internet. If she didn’t know how to do something, she would research on the web until the project was accomplished.

She discovered that her father, who was in eight campaigns in WWII, was awarded many medals that he never did receive. What would have been history lost, she acquired for her nephews.

Joanie and Mitch loved to take their dogs and/or horses on trips to the Big Horn or Pryor Mountains. The Pryors were her favorite and they enjoyed a few select spots that were special to them. Joanie and Mitch were able to go on their second vacation ever to Glacier National Park in September of 2012 which she enjoyed immensely.

Perhaps the quality that most did not know was that Joanie would think of those who others did not. She was there for many when they were sick or needed help. She would write letters and include photos or send earrings or little gifts and say “I thought you would like these” or “I thought of you when I saw this.” She was one who did not advertise her sacrifices or good deeds. Joanie kept in touch with friends and relatives and sent reminders that she knew and cared. Joanie shared all that she did by sending Internet links on how to remodel this, how to fix this aliment, look at what we did ... all fully illustrated in photos. Her loved ones will miss her letters, her cards, her gifts and her almost daily email.

Joanie is survived by her husband Mitch and his dad Duane Davison; her boys Tyler and Josh, their wives Brandy and Autumn and grandkids: Colby and Melynda, and Hailey, Zoey, Mckayla and baby Ashlynn; her brother “Louieee”, his wife Bridget and nephews Eaon and Connor. Her dogs Gus and Arwen miss her very much.

A memorial service will take place at the New Life Church in Powell at 10:30 a.m. on Friday, March 1. Please come and join in sharing your memories of Joanie.

Donations in her honor can be made to Old Friends (a race horse retirement home in Kentucky).

Shelby
02-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Thank you, Tucker6 for sharing this with us. What a wonderful person Joanie was.

pandy
02-26-2013, 02:23 PM
Thanks for posting.

It's good to acknowledge someone's life. Celebrities get their acknowledgements but everyone is special in their own way.

My wife was watching the Home & Family show on the Hallmark Channel a few weeks ago and one of their guests was a woman who helps people create video legacys of their life on DVD so that their family can remember them. There are also legacy websites and people are starting to put together photos, documents, etc. and creating dvds to remember those who have passed on.

MAGICHORSEMAN
02-26-2013, 04:12 PM
I am sorry to hear of her passing. She always had something interesting to comment.

wisconsin
02-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Feel lucky to have known her via PA.

Investorater
02-27-2013, 05:47 AM
Joanie's family (#) will love her and mourn her passing for quite a long time. She's left a void that may never be filled.

If we believe. And I do. We feel comfort in the knowledge that we'll be reunited with those we love. Having left her earthly life behind, she's now with family, with friends, and as we know from her presence here, her horses. All have been waiting for her.

What more could we ask? Enjoy your rest, Joanie.

This is a great eulogy.

westny
02-27-2013, 11:46 AM
How sad.

I cannot read Joanie's eulogy w/o tears.

Seems the good die young.

RIP.

bisket
02-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Jonied and I became good friends on this forum 4 years ago. You can meet people on these forums that can become a big part of your daily life. Jonied became one of these people. Winter, Jonied, and I followed each other from one forum to the next. I realized from reading through this thread that she thought alot of me as well. I don't frequent this forum as much as I once did, but some of you might remember I like to use short you tube videos to augment my posts. I attached one of the clydesdale commercials to a post, and jonied got the biggest kick out of it. One thing that hasn't come to light is jonied sold her crops to Budwieser every year. The commercial was the beginning of a great friendship. I really enjoyed the obituary, thanks for posting it.

statepierback
02-27-2013, 03:15 PM
R.I.P.

Cratos
02-27-2013, 05:08 PM

I am shocked because she was one of the best posters I ever exchanged posts with and her apparent knowledge of horses was undisputable.

My sincere condolences go out to her family and friends.

WinterTriangle
02-27-2013, 07:54 PM
I just have one last thing to add, her obit came out on Feb 26th in paper and the family requested that in her memory/honor they set it up with Old Friends race horse retirement/rescue home in KY

Old Friends has been contacted and knows the story so if you ever wanted to make a donation there and want to honor Joanied then you can send in honor of Joanie D. :)

Joanie talked about Old Friends all the time, so I know that she would be delighted to know that feed, etc. was going to the Thoroughbreds there in her honor. :)

http://www.oldfriendsequine.org/
Old Friends, Inc.
1841 Paynes Depot Rd.
Georgetown, KY 40324
Phone: 502-863-1775

They have a facility in NY now as well as KY.

nijinski
02-27-2013, 09:34 PM
I just have one last thing to add, her obit came out on Feb 26th in paper and the family requested that in her memory/honor they set it up with Old Friends race horse retirement/rescue home in KY

Old Friends has been contacted and knows the story so if you ever wanted to make a donation there and want to honor Joanied then you can send in honor of Joanie D. :)

Joanie talked about Old Friends all the time, so I know that she would be delighted to know that feed, etc. was going to the Thoroughbreds there in her honor. :)

http://www.oldfriendsequine.org/
Old Friends, Inc.
1841 Paynes Depot Rd.
Georgetown, KY 40324
Phone: 502-863-1775

They have a facility in NY now as well as KY.

A fine way to honor Joanied indeed .

MickJ26
02-27-2013, 10:16 PM
This is a tough bunch, the posters here at Pace Advantage. For somebody to have earned nearly universal respect, you must've been quite a person. Rest in peace, Joanie.

bisket
03-03-2013, 07:13 PM

When her mom passed away a few years ago she buried her in New York. She got to tie up a lot of loose ends in her life, and visit Belmont Park. We were discussing her mom's funeral, and I told her that the day of the funeral would be a good day. I explained to her my idea of a good day. A good day is a day you can laugh, spend some time in thought, and have you're emotions mover to tears. Reading through this thread made my day....

Jimmy V
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuoVM9nm42E