PDA

View Full Version : Feb.18,1983-The one that got away

bigeastbeast
02-18-2013, 08:35 PM
30 years ago tonight at the Meadowlands,I missed out on the biggest price horse of my life.

The race was for 3 year olds,N/W of 20K or 4 PM races lifetime-your typical wide open race.The linemaker listed the favorite at 7-2.The horse in which I was interested-and had played in its previous two starts -was listed at 30-1 from post 2.

Tonight,the trainer was getting back in the bike,after the owner had driven the horse on the outside the last two races.

I decided to pass,figuring the trainer was going to have the horse cut the pace for a while,fade badly,then drop him a bit lower for a price.

I guessed wrong.

Santo Merillo,the traner,kept Bliss JG,on the wood all the way,picking up the win after the favorite broke.

The payoffs were $228,79,and 16.The trifecta was $4,213 with a 7-1 and 3-1 shot following.

The race was covered on the front sports page of the Newark Star-Ledger the next day.I still have the program-in mint condition.

Muddy
02-18-2013, 08:57 PM
I was working as a cook back in the 80's with Mike Kakaley's brother in law Miles, and got a tip on a green trotter.

So a couple weeks later it is in to go. I call up a buddy of mine and we ride out to Northville Downs and wheel it in the tri for 42.00. She breaks stride early in the race and we throw our tickets on the floor.

She runs dead last. So 1 week later shes in again with the 8 hole.

I call up my buddy and tell him lets go bet her again he says he ain't betting another penny on the nag.

Back then we played pick up basket ball on tuesdays. So instead of going myself and betting and leaving I go and play basketball.

I get home that night and listen to race results on the radio at midnight, and low and behold the announcer comes on the radio and says Winner of the 4th race #8 Peacful Pam 88.00 to win.

He says the tri the biggest in the history of northville downs (at the time)14,800. I'll never forget it.

CHeCK EyE
02-18-2013, 10:57 PM
Wasn't so many years ago, as I'm only 25 and only have a handful or years to go by. I forget the stakes race, but it was up in Canada when A and G's Confusion, Tug River Princess and I honestly can't remember the third horse? But anywho, I told my dad early in the day that in this race these were the only three horses to worry about. I said I should box them in the trifecta. So we go tot he Meadowlands that night, and I'm doing pretty well on those races. I walk in to get a pretzel for my dad and find the race at Canada was coming up. The prices on the horses I liked were surprising good so I boxed the exacta and bet the two longer shots to win. Well don't you know all three came in the top three and the trifecta was a little over $400. So I did hit the exacta which wasn't nearly as much and I think I might have had the horse to win I'm not sure. Granted my story doesn't hold a candle to you guys, but I'm a cheaper better as I don't have the finances, or a job, to support my gambling. So every penny counts!