PDA

View Full Version : A Beautiful Mind

Actor
02-17-2013, 07:15 PM
"What we do with our world right now will propagate down through the centuries and powerfully affect the destiny of our descendents. It is well within our power to destroy our civilization and perhaps our species as well. If we capitulate to superstition or greed or stupidity we can plunge our world into a darkness deeper than the time between the collapse of classical civilization and the Italian renaissance, but we are also capable of using our compassion and our intelligence, our technology and our wealth to make abundant and meaningful life for every inhabitant of this planet, to enhance enormously our understanding of the universe and to carry us to the stars." -- Carl Sagan

Tom
02-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Well that was helpful.
All he failed to mention was how. :rolleyes:

Steve R
02-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Well that was helpful.
All he failed to mention was how. :rolleyes:
I think he did: "...using our compassion and our intelligence, our technology and our wealth..."

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't seem to have enough of the first two.

badcompany
02-18-2013, 08:59 AM
I think he did: "...using our compassion and our intelligence, our technology and our wealth..."

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't seem to have enough of the first two.

"The world needs ditch diggers, too."

Judge Smails

hcap
02-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Sounds like a Commie to me. He protested the Vietnamese war and Reagan's star wars.

Carl Sagan was many things, but apolitical was not one of them. Carl was a Liberal and proudly wore his politics on his sleeve, such as when he marched in protest at nuclear sites or testified before Congress about the dangers of nuclear winter.

.....Dr. Michael Shermer. Founding Publisher of Skeptic magazine

Dirty Pinko!

Tom
02-18-2013, 10:20 PM

Judge Smails

A good ditch digger accomplished more in one day than these wack-o fill-oso-fers do in book full of clever feel good statements.

hcap
02-19-2013, 10:54 AM
A good ditch digger accomplished more in one day than these wack-o fill-oso-fers do in book full of clever feel good statements.Yeah, especially those good ditch digger who have became best-selling and Pulitzer Prize-winning authors, holds, masters degrees in physics and Ph.D.'s in astronomy and astrophysics . Those good ditch digger who received fellowships at the University of California at Berkeley, and attended Harvard and then became members of the Cornell faculty and became full professors. And wrote more than 600 scientific papers and popular articles, and more than a dozen books.

Yeah those kind of ditch diggers. :bang:

Robert Goren
02-19-2013, 10:59 AM
A good ditch digger accomplished more in one day than these wack-o fill-oso-fers do in book full of clever feel good statements.And far more than a bunch of horseplayers who post on the internet. Espicially those who are doing it on their boss's dime.

Tom
02-19-2013, 11:46 AM
Goren, can you get any dumber?

Robert Goren
02-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Goren, can you get any dumber? I must have hit a nerve.

Tom
02-19-2013, 01:55 PM
No, you just keep posting incorrect stuff over and over.
Curious if you could know any less than you do now.
Guess not. :D

hcap
02-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Hey Mister Anti-fill-oso-fer, care to fill us in on which "feel good" book of Sagans' puts him on a lower level of thought than your average astute ditch digger?

Robert Goren
02-19-2013, 02:22 PM
No, you just keep posting incorrect stuff over and over.
Curious if you could know any less than you do now.
Guess not. :DSince I am one those internet posting horseplayers (although I am retired and not posting on my boss's dime), even if I was wrong, I would still be right. :D
Everyplace where I worked, posting on the internet while working would get you fired at once. I know couple of fellow workers who found that out the hard way. Maybe things have changed in the 5 years since I retired.
For the record I was not refering to you, I have no idea if you post from work or not. There are several posters who in the past admitted that do it, so it does happen. One even claimed to have have his boss's blessing which I found a little hard to believe. As I remember he was a liberal.

Robert Goren
02-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Goren, can you get any dumber?I could start playing the GP rainbow 6. :D

Tom
02-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Hey Mister Anti-fill-oso-fer, care to fill us in on which "feel good" book of Sagans' puts him on a lower level of thought than your average astute ditch digger?

Are you that dense? This is what I said:

A good ditch digger accomplished more in one day than these wack-o fill-oso-fers do in book full of clever feel good statements.

What you ask is not relevant to that.
Try again to be clever.
Maybe Goren will help you. :rolleyes:

Moniker
02-19-2013, 02:39 PM

I don't think Tom was discrediting his intelligence, but the legitimacy of philosophy. It reminds me of something I heard once - Philosophy is like a pre-sex shower. Pointless, but necessary. :D

Tom
02-19-2013, 03:05 PM
"What we do with our world right now will propagate down through the centuries and powerfully affect the destiny of our descendents. It is well within our power to destroy our civilization and perhaps our species as well. No it isn't. If we capitulate to superstition or greed or stupidity we can plunge our world into a darkness deeper than the time between the collapse of classical civilization and the Italian renaissance You mean by caving in to this global warming BS?, but we are also capable of using our compassion and our intelligence, our technology and our wealth to make abundant and meaningful life for every inhabitant of this planet What, a higher minimum wage is not enough for you?, to enhance enormously our understanding of the universe and to carry us to the stars We have been to the moon. Obama cancelled NASA, fool." -- Carl Sagan

FTFY

hcap
02-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Are you that dense? This is what I said: a good ditch digger accomplished more in one day than these wack-o fill-oso-fers do in book full of clever feel good statements.
What you ask is not relevant to that.
Try again to be clever.
Maybe Goren will help you. :rolleyes:We were speaking of Sagan. I had pointed out that he was liberal and made his views well known. Steve R mentioned "compassion and intelligence" I think he did: "...using our compassion and our intelligence, our technology and our wealth..."Then BC brought up ditch diggers

Try and keep up. Mister Anti-fill-oso-fer :)

Jay Trotter
02-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Man, do I feel dumb!

http://avatar.hq-picture.com/avatars/img7/crazy_rat_avatar_picture_13278.gif

The whole time you guys are talking about Carl Sagan
I thought you were talking about Bob Saget!

I kept sayin' to myself, "I didn't realize he was a learned fellow"! Sheesh!!
Thanks goodness for "the Google".

hcap
02-19-2013, 04:36 PM
I don't think Tom was discrediting his intelligence, but the legitimacy of philosophy. It reminds me of something I heard once - Philosophy is like a pre-sex shower. Pointless, but necessary. :DNo, he was attacking Sagan for simply being a liberal. His last post demonstrates his bias. But that's OK. We all have our biased moments, just that Tom thinks intellect is the sole province of the Tea Partiers and Ted Nugent. :lol:

Actor
02-19-2013, 05:28 PM

Judge SmailsAt one time maybe. Today they've been replaced by the backhoe.

Actor
02-19-2013, 05:49 PM
"What we do with our world right now will propagate down through the centuries and powerfully affect the destiny of our descendents. It is well within our power to destroy our civilization and perhaps our species as well. No it isn't.Do you really think that a full nuclear exchange between the U.S. and the former Soviet Union, with other nuclear powers joining in, over 30,000 nuclear warheads exploded in the atmosphere in one day, does not have the potential to kill everything more complex than a cockroach? Not an experiment I want to conduct, thank you very much. -- This has to rank as one of your stupidest posts ever.
If we capitulate to superstition or greed or stupidity we can plunge our world into a darkness deeper than the time between the collapse of classical civilization and the Italian renaissance You mean by caving in to this global warming BS?You're reaching. Mr. Sagan was talking about nuclear annihilation. Try to keep up.
, but we are also capable of using our compassion and our intelligence, our technology and our wealth to make abundant and meaningful life for every inhabitant of this planet What, a higher minimum wage is not enough for you?No, it's not. But again, you're reaching.
, to enhance enormously our understanding of the universe and to carry us to the stars We have been to the moon. Obama cancelled NASA, fool." -- Carl SaganMr. Sagan died in 1996. Obama became President in 2009. And he did not cancel NASA, only one program. Try to keep ... Oh, never mind. You're obviously hopelessly behind. :rolleyes:

Actor
02-19-2013, 06:01 PM
Philosophy is like a pre-sex shower. Pointless, but necessary. :DAnd a lot of fun if you shower with your partner. :lol:
Experience speaking. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Try sex during the shower. :ThmbUp:
And then more sex after the shower. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Oh, to be young again.

Tom
02-19-2013, 09:37 PM
Try and keep up. Mister Anti-fill-oso-fer
No, I was referring to that.And I was not attacking him for being a liberal.
I was the vaugue cntent of his quote, which I then parodied, and Actor mis-understood it.

Both you guys - we can't slow down, please try a more junior thread.
I offered you wit and insight, but you're are more accustomed to shit and oversight!:D

Actor
02-19-2013, 10:44 PM
I[sic] was the vaugue[sic] cntent[sic] of his quote, which I then parodied, and Actor mis-understood[sic] it.You don't really expect me to believe that you find Sagan's observation "vague."

I offered you wit and insight, but you're are more accustomed to shit and oversight!:DYour posting history has you short on the former and long on the latter. I've gone over your mark up of Sagan's statement and there is no "wit and insight" in it.

Tom
02-20-2013, 07:38 AM
You don't really expect me to believe that you find Sagan's observation "vague."

Your posting history has you short on the former and long on the latter. I've gone over your mark up of Sagan's statement and there is no "wit and insight" in it.

1. Yes. It lacks specifics.
2. Opinions vary.