PDA

View Full Version : 2013 GOLF POOL

Jay Trotter
02-17-2013, 04:50 PM
During the 2012 golf season we ran contests for each of the golf majors. We ran into some issues with the PGA when the normal "Salary" sheet we were using was no longe available. On the fly we made use of the World Golf Rankings as a tool for team selection.

I'm proposing we use The World Golf Rankings again as the basis of team selection. (See current ranking on attached sheet) Currently, the top three players have rankings of 12.03, 9.03 and 7.58; while the top 11 players are at 5.00 or higher.

I would suggest we stick with the selection of 5 players per team with a maximum Ranking Total of 25.0 points. This would force teams to use strategy to only take one or two of the very top players at most and then fill out their roster with lesser players.

Daily scoring would be based on using your four best scores per day. Players missing the cut would be assigned the equivalent score to that of the highest posted score for the day.

Additionally, I'm proposing we set a tournament schedule using all of the year's "major" tournaments, not just those known as "Majors" (see schedule below).

Points would be awarded for each tournament. Similar to the PAIHL, we could award 1 point for each contestant you beat with double points for the four true Majors***. The player who accumulates the most points over the season would be the Winner!

2013 TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
Mar 07-10 WGC - Cadillac Championship
Apr 11-14 The Masters***
May 09-12 The Players Championship
May 30-02 The Memorial
June 13-16 The U.S. Open***
July 18-21 The British Open***
Aug 01-04 WGC - Bridgestone Invitational
Aug 08-11 PGA Championship***
Aug 30-02 Deutsche Bank (Playoffs)
Oct 01-03 WGC - HSBC Champions

I will personally donate a prize to the cause and would ask that others with the ability to throw something into the mix.

All of the above is just my personal thoughts and everything is open to discussion. Please post your opinions in this thread. Main points to discuss would be schedule; salary structure; daily scoring; and awarding tournament points.

Beachbabe
02-17-2013, 05:19 PM
A couple of questions.
1) Are we to keep our own scores like before ?

2) Why post our scores each day ? Isn't the contest the best score for the total tourney ?

* if I think of anymore I'll post 'em :cool:

Jay Trotter
02-18-2013, 08:15 AM
1) Are we to keep our own scores like before ?Possibly or we could upgrade things.

2) Why post our scores each day ? Isn't the contest the best score for the total tourney ?Because the whole point is to be engaged and track the scores. That's the fun part isn't it?

cj
02-18-2013, 10:18 AM
Personally, that is just too many tourneys for me. I liked the majors only format.

Robert Goren
02-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Personally, that is just too many tourneys for me. I liked the majors only format.me too

horses4courses
02-19-2013, 01:31 PM
How much time does it take to choose players and track their scores?
For me, it would take 10-20 minutes to pick my five players, and 5-10 minutes a day to tally scores.
I like the idea of more tournaments, but will follow the consensus.
Thanks, JT :ThmbUp:

NJ Stinks
02-19-2013, 01:53 PM
I intend to play and will be happy with whatever is decided upon. :cool:

(Besides, I'm afraid to post an opinion here in Off Topic! ;) )

Jay Trotter
02-19-2013, 04:25 PM
Besides, I'm afraid to post an opinion here in Off Topic! ;) Pussy!

I was hoping there would be more feedback. I'm pretty sure I could handle the scoring so guys don't need to worry about that part of things.

I'm good with the bigger schedule or just the Majors, whatever looks to be favored.

Anyone look at the salary structure to give some constructive criticism there -- I kind of threw that 25.0 figure together (although it looks pretty reasonable).

Beachbabe
02-19-2013, 04:43 PM
I'm definitely good with more tourneys.....thank you !! :ThmbUp:

Zydeco
02-19-2013, 05:06 PM
I like the first 8 events on the schedule. Keeping own score is ok with me.

Greyfox
02-19-2013, 06:08 PM
Looks fine to me. :ThmbUp:

I'll be in.

NJ Stinks
02-20-2013, 12:48 AM
Pussy!

One time I don't give an opinion and I still get hammered! :( :)

I will say I'm perfectly fine keeping my own score. As far as the # of events goes, I could say let's play them all and then miss a few along the way. (Hence, my reluctance to declare a preference.)