02-16-2013, 03:25 PM
haha the 6th at Tampa today

World Flash is now going away...
second later ..I. E. FLASH flying and wins

also
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91158&page=1&pp=15

Stillriledup
02-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Im auto trained to reach for that mute button when they show a tampa race. I Hate that Tampa is on TVG, its one track i dont follow or play. I guess i should thank my lucky stars i'm not subjected to Oaklawn also.

cj
02-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Im auto trained to reach for that mute button when they show a tampa race. I Hate that Tampa is on TVG, its one track i dont follow or play. I guess i should thank my lucky stars i'm not subjected to Oaklawn also.

The new Oaklawn guys does a good job in my opinion.

Stillriledup
02-16-2013, 03:48 PM
The new Oaklawn guys does a good job in my opinion.

I agree, my comments were based on having to watch a track i dont follow or play rather than a shot at the announcer. If i could switch Tampa for Oaklawn i'd do it in a heartbeat.

Greyfox
02-16-2013, 03:50 PM
The 6th race was as bad as it can get.

You hit the nail on the head with that.:ThmbUp:

I think the jockey on #4 heard his call and thought the race was over 50 yards from the wire.

CincyHorseplayer
02-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Another Grunder blunder?He's getting pretty erratic.The way Tampa plays anyway,I wouldn't call anybody a winner at the 16th pole.No matter how big the lead.They can die on a dime.CJ you've been a Grunder fan for a while!

Robert Fischer
02-16-2013, 04:22 PM
lol they all can get on your nerves after a while.

Tampa isn't that bad to me, although he'll say just about anything in the stretch regardless of what is happening.

The new Gulfstream hostess. Not sure what her accent is but it is rough for some reason, and she goes on and on about pedigrees in claiming races.

Laurel... - For some reason their volume is 3X THE NORMAL VOLUME!!!! :eek: of everywhere else, and they get me at least once a day. :D

VeryOldMan
02-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Laurel... - For some reason their volume is 3X THE NORMAL VOLUME!!!! :eek:

Thanks for the reality check - I tuned into the 6th race stakes today on my computer and ended up racing for the volume control; I was wondering "what on earth was I listening to at that volume?" No kidding!

cj
02-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Tampa isn't that bad to me, although he'll say just about anything in the stretch regardless of what is happening.

What would you consider "that bad" then?

VeryOldMan
02-16-2013, 05:52 PM
The 6th race was as bad as it can get.

Wow - just watched the replay. Drawing away, er, make that overtaken in the deep stretch - whatever! And it didn't look like there is the excuse like Laurel's main track where there are two different finish lines and you sometimes see horses and jockeys forgetting that they need to go to the second one.

castaway01
02-16-2013, 07:35 PM
We have this thread every winter I think....Grunder is the worst announcer at a mid-level or better track, but I find him entertaining in a campy way because he's just so cartoonish and inaccurate.

camourous
02-16-2013, 07:47 PM
I mute pretty much every race i watch on the computer, the announcers are awful in every part of the country.

Valuist
02-16-2013, 08:05 PM
As mistakes go, this one was right up there. And when World Flash was "drawing away", he actually was sharply lugging in.

Robert Fischer
02-16-2013, 08:35 PM
What would you consider "that bad" then?

good point.

I guess it is that bad, for whatever reason i kind of like the guy and it doesn't grate my nerves.

lamboguy
02-16-2013, 09:02 PM
I mute pretty much every race i watch on the computer, the announcers are awful in every part of the country.not that long ago you could watch Keeneland, they never even had an announcer.

turninforhome10
02-16-2013, 09:05 PM
not that long ago you could watch Keeneland, they never even had an announcer.
My friend T-Red who used to train horses before they had an announcer had a an owner with some pretty nice stock, who refused to run at Keeneland because of that. He was deaf and said he would not run where he could'nt "see" the horses.

horses4courses
02-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Every time a thread is started that criticizes a race caller, Vic Stauffer has always jumped in to defend them.
I can understand his loyalty to his peers, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Terry Wallace bore the brunt of critics before being replaced at Oaklawn,
and now that track is much better off with Frank Mirahmadi doing the calls.

Since simulcasting took off, and off-track handle has grown compared to the live equivalent, race callers are more important than ever in projecting an image to outside customers. If Richard Grunder is how Tampa wants to run it's business, then so be it.
For those of you who bet the track (I do not), would you actually bet more there if they had a different race caller? I tend to doubt it.

Personally, I look upon race callers like sports referees. Of course, you need them, but they are not the reason why you are watching that race.
Less can be more when it comes to race commentary. I get enjoyment from watching a race unfold, paying attention to saddle cloths and silk colors. Often, I'm not really listening to the race caller at all.

Where a race caller really scores points with me, though, is when he spots something I have not. That late closer coming from out of the clouds that I didn't spot nearing the quarter pole. Or, when a jockey is sitting motionless with a horse and a half underneath him.
That's an innate quality that the best race callers have. That's why they are paid for what they do so well - they are professionals.
It's definitely not an easy job but, after 27 years, maybe it's time for Tampa Bay Downs to consider change in the booth?

horses4courses
02-16-2013, 09:26 PM
not that long ago you could watch Keeneland, they never even had an announcer.

I remember that, lambo.
We handled Keeneland in our racebook in Tahoe with the signal up on the big screen.
They break from the gate.....and.......total silence! It was eerie.

Didn't last long, though, in the simulcasting world.
They had a race caller within a year, or so.
Late 1980s, I'm thinking.

v j stauffer
02-16-2013, 10:03 PM
I mute pretty much every race i watch on the computer, the announcers are awful in every part of the country.

Perhaps rather than a mute button you might want to purchase a passport. :bang:

v j stauffer
02-16-2013, 10:07 PM
Every time a thread is started that criticizes a race caller, Vic Stauffer has always jumped in to defend them.
I can understand his loyalty to his peers, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Terry Wallace bore the brunt of critics before being replaced at Oaklawn,
and now that track is much better off with Frank Mirahmadi doing the calls.

Since simulcasting took off, and off-track handle has grown compared to the live equivalent, race callers are more important than ever in projecting an image to outside customers. If Richard Grunder is how Tampa wants to run it's business, then so be it.
For those of you who bet the track (I do not), would you actually bet more there if they had a different race caller? I tend to doubt it.

Personally, I look upon race callers like sports referees. Of course, you need them, but they are not the reason why you are watching that race.
Less can be more when it comes to race commentary. I get enjoyment from watching a race unfold, paying attention to saddle cloths and silk colors. Often, I'm not really listening to the race caller at all.

Where a race caller really scores points with me, though, is when he spots something I have not. That late closer coming from out of the clouds that I didn't spot nearing the quarter pole. Or, when a jockey is sitting motionless with a horse and a half underneath him.
That's an innate quality that the best race callers have. That's why they are paid for what they do so well - they are professionals.
It's definitely not an easy job but, after 27 years, maybe it's time for Tampa Bay Downs to consider change in the booth?

I'm here. Watching and reading. So easy for people to say things like " 27 years in the booth maybe Tampa should consider a change "

Imagine how you'd feel if in the same boast and people were posting in a public forum to fire you after almost 3 decades of putting your heart and soul into every day you come to work?

Sometimes I really hate the internet. :mad:

turninforhome10
02-16-2013, 10:17 PM
I'm here. Watching and reading. So easy for people to say things like " 27 years in the booth maybe Tampa should consider a change "

Imagine how you'd feel if in the same boast and people were posting in a public forum to fire you after almost 3 decades of putting your heart and soul into every day you come to work?

Felt the same way when people were bashing Terry Wallace.

cj
02-16-2013, 10:24 PM

Isn't that part of being in the public eye? I mean seriously, the guy is terrible. You can defend him until the cows come home, but it doesn't make him better. Surely they can find another position for him if they want to keep him around. He has been butchering races for years, enough is enough.

usedtolovetvg
02-16-2013, 10:26 PM
The internet has exposed the race caller to a lot more people. Most are now watching from the comfort of their own homes. Unlike at the track, the race caller takes on added importance. Because he doesn't see the entire field, the home viewer is relying on the caller to help him understand the way is developing; something you do quite well, Vic. The dynamic has changed over the last few years, in that the home viewer is the most important person watching, listening to and betting the race. As you are well aware, race calling is a highly competitive and well compensated skill. The fans have every right to demand the very best.

cj
02-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Apparently, Vic favors the Supreme Court system, appointment for life.

v j stauffer
02-16-2013, 10:31 PM
Isn't that part of being in the public eye? I mean seriously, the guy is terrible. You can defend him until the cows come home, but it doesn't make him better. Surely they can find another position for him if they want to keep him around. He has been butchering races for years, enough is enough.

Lots of racing fans DO NOT think he's terrible.

v j stauffer
02-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Apparently, Vic favors the Supreme Court system, appointment for life.

Vic favors less bashing of passionate colleagues.

cj
Lots of racing fans DO NOT think he's terrible.

Oh please. His good calls are marginal at best, and those are maybe 20%. Anybody betting off track and stuck listening to this guy misidentify horses, screw up names, call placings wrong, etc. deserves better.

johnhannibalsmith
I've said it before and I'll say it again; Grunder is from the William Conrad school of announcing.

Okq5Vvnv1VQ

I'd hate for it to go unposted in a Grunder thread.

cj
02-16-2013, 10:37 PM

I'm passionate about golf and tennis, but neither tour is going to invite me any time soon.

usedtolovetvg
02-16-2013, 10:42 PM
"Lots of racing fans DO NOT think he's terrible."

Then that becomes management's decision; such as they are able to make the right decision. I will tell you that I am more likely to look a bit harder and longer at the tracks where I like the caller. I would guess that the caller might be a decent driver of handle. This is also a discussion board where we are supposed to be free to state our opinions. That's all they are, our opinions. I think we can all agree that preference for one guy or another is highly subjective. If enough people have a negative view of this guy or that, it would behoove management to take a long hard look at that position.

ElKabong
02-16-2013, 10:48 PM
Grinder - sounds like he was the voice of the old Dick Tracy cartoon tv show....

the horse was clear, jumped a shadow or something. Weird. If I had a bet on that horse I'd have shotmyownself over that

v j stauffer
02-16-2013, 10:55 PM
"Lots of racing fans DO NOT think he's terrible."

Then that becomes management's decision; such as they are able to make the right decision. I will tell you that I am more likely to look a bit harder and longer at the tracks where I like the caller. I would guess that the caller might be a decent driver of handle. This is also a discussion board where we are supposed to be free to state our opinions. That's all they are, our opinions. I think we can all agree that preference for one guy or another is highly subjective. If enough people have a negative view of this guy or that, it would behoove management to take a long hard look at that position.

I never suggested people couldn't have an opinion. Of course they can. Just hits close to home for me because I know and like Richard and respect how much he loves and cares about racing and his job.

ElKabong
02-16-2013, 11:00 PM

You should get out more. In the real world this is known as Reality. The employed live this each and every day.

At my age & pay, my employer would love to dump my salary. My only defense is to outperform my younger colleagues on a daily basis, and provide proof in metrics and any measurable performance stick I can find. As is, my upward chain is very satisfied.

Tens of thousands are in the same boat as me, for age and high pay issues....Even more, are trying to prove themselves everyday as a productive employee. Or else we get shit cannned.

If Grinder, you, Wallace, or anyone else aren't up to snuff anymore, it's time to get out of the booth and make way for a better caller if your audience convinces your employer it's for the best. It's life, deal with it like the rest of the world does

usedtolovetvg
02-16-2013, 11:02 PM
I know and like Richard and respect how much he loves and cares about racing and his job.

I can appreciate that. But, it doesn't mean he should be doing it. From my perspective he makes it kinda hard to follow the races with his calls. I love Tampa too, cheap horses, trainers and jockeys who may be of questionable integrity; lots of opportunity. I would fire more if I liked his calls.

v j stauffer
02-16-2013, 11:04 PM
You should get out more. In the real world this is known as Reality. The employed live this each and every day.

At my age & pay, my employer would love to dump my salary. My only defense is to outperform my younger colleagues on a daily basis, and provide proof in metrics and any measurable performance stick I can find. As is, my upward chain is very satisfied.

Tens of thousands are in the same boat as me, for age and high pay issues....Even more, are trying to prove themselves everyday as a productive employee. Or else we get shit cannned.

If Grinder, you, Wallace, or anyone else aren't up to snuff anymore, it's time to get out of the booth and make way for a better caller if your audience convinces your employer it's for the best. It's life, deal with it like the rest of the world does

Nice speech. It has dick to do with this thread but nice speech anyway.

ElKabong
02-16-2013, 11:06 PM
You're right. Grinder doesn't have to perform like the rest of us. He lives in a world that doesn't require talent nor approval.

Enjoy whatever track your currently calling...

v j stauffer
02-16-2013, 11:18 PM
You're right. Grinder doesn't have to perform like the rest of us. He lives in a world that doesn't require talent nor approval.

Enjoy whatever track your currently calling...

His name is Grunder. 27 years on the job seems like approval to me. It's whatever track " you're " calling. Get out much?

cj
02-16-2013, 11:22 PM
His name is Grunder. 27 years on the job seems like approval to me. It's whatever track " you're " calling. Get out much?

You are ignoring that for at least 17 of those 27 years, nobody that wasn't at the track heard him much, and you can hardly ever really hear the caller at the track anyway.

Times have changed. I'm not the first to gripe about him, and I won't be the last. Didn't Beyer write a big article about his ineptitude last year? Your attitude is pretty typical in racing, which is why the sport has taken a nose dive.

And no, I'm not going to run a grammar/spelling check to get past the Vic test.

v j stauffer
02-16-2013, 11:27 PM
You are ignoring that for at least 17 of those 27 years, nobody that wasn't at the track heard him much, and you can hardly ever really hear the caller at the track anyway.

Times have changed. I'm not the first to gripe about him, and I won't be the last. Didn't Beyer write a big article about his ineptitude last year? Your attitude is pretty typical in racing, which is why the sport has taken a nose dive.

And no, I'm not going to run a grammar/spelling check to get past the Vic test.

I know that was a cheap shot. I'm just in a mood. Dislocated rib. However to make a correlation that racing has taken a nose dive because I don't like hearing a friend bashed is pretty far out there.

phattty
02-16-2013, 11:30 PM
TBD is my home track, Grunder is focus of plenty of laughs with inane pronouncing of horses name and inaccurate calls....

But he is the least. Of their problems

Many of the reasons for their decade of growth have gone up in smoke

Some great turf racing due to the dearth of maiden races at GP are now gone plenty of turf maiden races at GP now

GP also carding 1 1/16 dirt races now

Hawthorne outbreaks stopped some stables from shipping in

Many trainer fed up with certain super trainers stayed north this winter or shipped elsewhere

Tampa area still hasn't recovered from economic slow down

Management tries hard but many times misses the target

And it sure was hard finding much of redeeming value in that card today..which sadly has become a daily problem of late

Grunder might be lame as an announcer but he is part of the color of our piece of paradise. :rolleyes:

RXB
02-16-2013, 11:33 PM
However to make a correlation that racing has taken a nose dive because I don't like hearing a friend bashed is pretty far out there.

I understand where you're coming from. I don't blame you for backing fellow announcers more than I would as a customer with no personal/professional ties.

From a customer perspective, you want a good caller. Terry Wallace's name has come up in this thread. By all accounts a great guy-- I think you knew him, correct?-- but age had caught up with him in his final few years and his last season was downright painful. Nothing personal but I was one of the people who was saying during that last campaign that he had to go.

ElKabong
02-16-2013, 11:33 PM

27 years doesn't mean dick.....

FWIW, the people in LS' simo pavillion groan at Grunder's calls. He's horrible.

Take care of the rib. Whatever track you're calling at these days needs you at 100%

cj
02-16-2013, 11:35 PM
I know that was a cheap shot. I'm just in a mood. Dislocated rib. However to make a correlation that racing has taken a nose dive because I don't like hearing a friend bashed is pretty far out there.

It is about having people in positions where they really don't do a good job.

For the record, I never said he should lose his job. I just said he has to be the worse. I can guarantee you I have listened to many more of his calls than you have in the last decade.

I bet lots of money every year. Don't I have the right to be able to watch races and replays and at least have the announcer identify the right horses? How about get the names right at least somewhat consistently?

Nobody is saying an announcer should be 100% perfect. But whatever the standard should be, he is far below it. This isn't about liking a particular style or voice or accent. We all have our preferences (I like Rodman, Jones and Collmus, admittedly a friend) and don't like some others, but if someone gets the basics right, I won't complain. When you screw up the simple things consistently, I deserve better than that.

http://www.drf.com/news/few-upgrades-could-make-tampa-bay-downs-even-better

ElKabong
02-16-2013, 11:38 PM
Terry Wallace's name has come up in this thread. By all accounts a great guy--

Wallace was hard for the locals (Dallas-FW) to knock, since a lot of us spent years driving to OP before,and even after LS opened. Terry was a piece of that tradition they had. One of the family....Like you said, he was painful to listen to. they just held on to him too long.

Terry Wallace was the Mack Brown or RC Slocum of race calling. Likeable, great guy, but over stayed his position. I'm glad Terry was replaced by Frank, who is doing a great job

PhantomOnTour
02-17-2013, 12:17 AM
Mirahmadi is okay at OP...he tends to start screaming sometimes, but he's a definite improvement over wallace.

BombsAway Bob
02-17-2013, 01:05 AM
Mirahmadi is okay at OP...he tends to start screaming sometimes, but he's a definite improvement over wallace.

i think the era announcers picked up their cadence from, & the
age of the audience listening to them, has a lot to do with their
public approval. I'm sure today many would bash longtime Suffolk
caller Jim Hannon, but his call of the 1987 MassCap still gives me
chills & thrills!
(i'm gonna try to use YT link for 100th time incorrectly, but here goes)

-abcCS5F9mM

1st time lasix
02-17-2013, 08:04 AM
I think he is unique and a trusted loyal employeein a difficult job..... i personally would never call for a man's job using the shadow of an internet posting. Classless.

JohnGalt1
02-17-2013, 08:33 AM
Richard Grunder spends the summer at Canterbury as a jockey agent. In past years he's represented Derek Bell. Last year he represented the meet's leading rider Tanner Riggs.

He also fills in for Paul Allen when Paul has to be away for local Viking's radio broadcasts.

andicap
02-17-2013, 08:36 AM

I think your loyalty to your colleagues is commendable BUT are you saying that people should never bash anyone on the Internet? We should never be allowed to criticize A-Rod even though he has given his entire life to the game of baseball? We never be allowed to criticize jockeys for poor rides? Oorr baseball managers for poor decisions.

If some dictator of sports decreed that athletes or anyone involved in sports -- track announcers included for they are part of sports -- could NOT be criticized, sports would die in a day. Controversy and disagreement make sports go round.

wisconsin
02-17-2013, 09:39 AM
chills & thrills!

-abcCS5F9mM

This has always been a favorite of mine-all of the cliches-old school. Thanks for posting.

Chris Longshot
02-17-2013, 10:26 AM
When I was watching the race it looked pretty obvious the leader was getting caught and the winner had all the momentum, thus the call didnt confuse or upset me at all.

The other night at Chucktown the caller there clearly called the wrong horse as the winner then realized his mistake at the wire.

Bothered me a little since the horse he originally called as the leader..was my horse and finished up the track. :D

In my travels have had more issues with the Chucktown caller than Richard.

ArlJim78
02-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Personally I enjoy Grunder's calls. I like the uniqueness and don't mind the lack of perfection on the technical side. I closely watch my interests in the race, so I'm not relying so much on the caller to clue me in.

ArlJim78
02-17-2013, 10:40 AM
chills & thrills!

indeed. If that race doesn't give you a chill or a thrill then you should probably find another hobby. thanks for posting it.

Robert Goren
02-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Personally I enjoy Grunder's calls. I like the uniqueness and don't mind the lack of perfection on the technical side. I closely watch my interests in the race, so I'm not relying so much on the caller to clue me in.This is the yearly "bash Grunder" thread. There has been at least one every year since I found this site. He ain't going anywhere and neither are his bashers.

pandy
02-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Personally I enjoy Grunder's calls. I like the uniqueness and don't mind the lack of perfection on the technical side. I closely watch my interests in the race, so I'm not relying so much on the caller to clue me in.

I feel exactly the same way. I like Grunder, kind of an old school sound, reminds me of the old days, and I used to be a chart caller so I know where my horse is so I don't need a perfectionist announcer. The guy at Churchill is very accurate but I don't like listening to him for some reason, his voice annoys me. I'm sure Grunder has plenty of fans.

Tom
02-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Give me Grunder over Mark "the screamer" Johnson any day.

Stillriledup
02-17-2013, 02:48 PM
I guess the higher ups at Tampa don't read PA, Grunder behind the mic today.

:eek:

cj
02-17-2013, 04:11 PM
When I was watching the race it looked pretty obvious the leader was getting caught and the winner had all the momentum, thus the call didnt confuse or upset me at all.

The other night at Chucktown the caller there clearly called the wrong horse as the winner then realized his mistake at the wire.

Bothered me a little since the horse he originally called as the leader..was my horse and finished up the track. :D

In my travels have had more issues with the Chucktown caller than Richard.

Ever notice on the biggest days at CharlesTown they ship in a caller?

Valuist
02-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Maybe track announcers are like athletes. I used to think Wallace was good but in the last few years, he just lost it. He started making mistakes he didn't use to make. Athletes can lose it quickly, and apparently track announcers can as well.

therussmeister
02-17-2013, 05:06 PM
In five years they will all be obsolete. All the tracks will use computerized voices tied into the TRAKUS system. ;)

Valuist
02-17-2013, 05:15 PM
In five years they will all be obsolete. All the tracks will use computerized voices tied into the TRAKUS system. ;)

I'm just imagining the voice of Siri: "INTO the turn and GAINING GROUND from the OUTSIDE...."

v j stauffer
02-17-2013, 06:36 PM
I think your loyalty to your colleagues is commendable BUT are you saying that people should never bash anyone on the Internet? We should never be allowed to criticize A-Rod even though he has given his entire life to the game of baseball? We never be allowed to criticize jockeys for poor rides? Oorr baseball managers for poor decisions.

If some dictator of sports decreed that athletes or anyone involved in sports -- track announcers included for they are part of sports -- could NOT be criticized, sports would die in a day. Controversy and disagreement make sports go round.

I'm not saying what people should or should not do. I'm saying it hurts when they criticize a friend and colleague. I understand about rights and how the internet works.

Stillriledup
02-17-2013, 06:46 PM
I'm not saying what people should or should not do. I'm saying it hurts when they criticize a friend and colleague. I understand about rights and how the internet works.

I know this is neither here nor there, but maybe that friend wants and feels he deserves the critique? Maybe when he hears the criticism he says "they're right, i was bad, i need to improve, it doesnt hurt my feelings, i deserve the shots, i'll try and get better, its not fair to my employer if i'm not up to snuff, i gotta work on that"

Wouldnt that be the right thing to say and feel, that he needs to work on getting better..? Or, do you think because he's a friend and nice guy, its ok to just to do a below average job and just hide from the critique while doing nothing to get better?

PaceAdvantage
02-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Ever notice on the biggest days at CharlesTown they ship in a caller?The guy at CT is still there? Over the years, he has been the #1 worst REGULAR announcer I have ever heard at any track...ever.

I thought someone posted here recently that he had been replaced....and I thought to myself...FINALLY!

If he's still there, then it further proves my theory that he is a relative of someone in management or he has pictures locked away in a safe of someone in management... :lol:

Stillriledup
02-17-2013, 07:13 PM
The guy at CT is still there? Over the years, he has been the #1 worst REGULAR announcer I have ever heard at any track...ever.

I thought someone posted here recently that he had been replaced....and I thought to myself...FINALLY!

If he's still there, then it further proves my theory that he is a relative of someone in management or he has pictures locked away in a safe of someone in management... :lol:

I don't always stay in Charles Town WV, but when i do, i stay at the Inn at Charlestown. :D

v j stauffer
02-17-2013, 07:18 PM
I know this is neither here nor there, but maybe that friend wants and feels he deserves the critique? Maybe when he hears the criticism he says "they're right, i was bad, i need to improve, it doesnt hurt my feelings, i deserve the shots, i'll try and get better, its not fair to my employer if i'm not up to snuff, i gotta work on that"

Wouldnt that be the right thing to say and feel, that he needs to work on getting better..? Or, do you think because he's a friend and nice guy, its ok to just to do a below average job and just hide from the critique while doing nothing to get better?

IMO you guys are reading waaaay too much into all this. I'm an announcer. He's an announcer. It hurts when someone knocks me. I feel for others when they get knocked. Simple as that.

Greyfox
02-17-2013, 07:22 PM
It hurts when someone knocks me..

People sometimes knock Vic? I'm shocked. I'm shocked....

cj
02-17-2013, 07:30 PM
The guy at CT is still there? Over the years, he has been the #1 worst REGULAR announcer I have ever heard at any track...ever.

Which guy? Surely you don't mean Costy? Those would be fighting words....

v j stauffer
02-17-2013, 10:13 PM
People sometimes knock Vic? I'm shocked. I'm shocked....

I was too until I found out my boss and wife post here.:confused:

Greyfox
02-17-2013, 10:35 PM
I was too until I found out my boss and wife post here.:confused:

Or hear?:jump:

IMO - You do an excellent job of announcing. Keep up the obviously scrutinized calls. :ThmbUp:
(P.S. Racetracks have more losers than winners. Self-blame is the last in line behind rider, horse, gatemen, trainer, and race caller.)

iceknight
02-17-2013, 11:04 PM
IMO you guys are reading waaaay too much into all this. I'm an announcer. He's an announcer. It hurts when someone knocks me. I feel for others when they get knocked. Simple as that. People on the "internet" also praise many of your colleaguges (and you) for some great calls. So some criticism can be taken and acted upon.

In this case the Tampa caller (now i know his name is R Grunder, it's good to put a name to the voice), his 27 years not withstanding, needs to work on understanding that there are more than 4 horses that start out on most races. Most races, he will mention the first 3 when they start running and then he jumps to mentioning whoever is the trailer. He completely misses all the others that are mid pack (and crucial to the race), and I feel that is a serious omission.

YOUTUBE LINK (http://youtu.be/mYIQttbYOOs?t=4m7s)
This is one of my favorite calls..when mYIQttbYOOs

v j stauffer
02-17-2013, 11:52 PM
People on the "internet" also praise many of your colleaguges (and you) for some great calls. So some criticism can be taken and acted upon.

In this case the Tampa caller (now i know his name is R Grunder, it's good to put a name to the voice), his 27 years not withstanding, needs to work on understanding that there are more than 4 horses that start out on most races. Most races, he will mention the first 3 when they start running and then he jumps to mentioning whoever is the trailer. He completely misses all the others that are mid pack (and crucial to the race), and I feel that is a serious omission.

YOUTUBE LINK (http://youtu.be/mYIQttbYOOs?t=4m7s)

This is one of my favorite calls..when mYIQttbYOOs

I was in the announcers booth at Churchill Downs sitting about 5 feet from Tom when he made that call. I remember thinking to myself I could never make as good a call with all the pressure and the racing world watching. No matter how much I practiced, prepared or studied.

I was right.

iceknight
02-18-2013, 12:49 AM
I was in the announcers booth at Churchill Downs sitting about 5 feet from Tom when he made that call. I remember thinking to myself I could never make as good a call with all the pressure and the racing world watching. No matter how much I practiced, prepared or studied.

I was right. I am sure he practiced for that (sarc!! It was just an extension of his natural passion. Of course, in some cases, I have also found his calls a little over the board.. but it was sublime in this one! You are SO LUCKY/Fortunate (and well deserving i guess, since you earned your way there!) to have seen that happen live!

racingfan378
02-18-2013, 01:24 AM

They were talking about the CT backup announcer who SHOULD have the job over that clown who has it now (Jeff Cernik according to a google search)

I last heard the backup announcer call the week before Christmas and the calls were outstanding! I heard Jeff Cernik call a race last week, messing up names left & right and even one race he said and I quote "there is a photo for 4th with some horse in the middle of that photo"

WTF was that!?! Jeff needs to be GONE from CT and that's exactly why they bring in Larry to call the big races b/c Jeff can't call a race the right way to save his own ass.

Track Phantom
02-18-2013, 01:38 AM
I love how people here rip into track announcers. I'm sure they would be much better but hard to know when they are sitting in their boxers behind a computer screen.

I'm the first to admit many race callers don't do it for me but, jezus chriiist, isn't there something more important to worry about?

As a side note, Grunder isn't that great and never cared for the tone of his voice. However, saw him in an interview and couldn't believe what a decent guy he appeared to be. I know none of you give a crap about that but he does appear to be a very nice guy.

JustRalph
02-18-2013, 01:57 AM
First time I've seen that video. Great race, great call. In the vid below the camera guy seems to pick up Arazi moving through the pack earlier? Not sure what the difference is in the two vids. Who was riding Arazi?

JNZn919v6BU

tzipi
02-18-2013, 02:03 AM
Are we reaching this hard nowadays to find something negative to post about announcers?

Is he the best of all time? No, but c'mon.

NJ Stinks
02-18-2013, 02:09 AM

I'm with you 100%, Jim.

Another voice I always enjoy hearing is the guy from Hawthorne. I just looked up his name and its Peter Galassi. I want my announcers to be distinctive. Guys like Grunder and Galassi take me to Tampa and Chicago every time. I enjoy that aspect a lot.

On the other hand I really enjoy Frank M. but it just doesn't feel like Oaklawn to me wth Frank at the mic. It might help if Frank was more like Frank in Hot Springs but I guess he's doing what management wants.

PaceAdvantage
02-18-2013, 02:26 AM
I love how people here rip into track announcers. I'm sure they would be much better but hard to know when they are sitting in their boxers behind a computer screen.

I'm the first to admit many race callers don't do it for me but, jezus chriiist, isn't there something more important to worry about?

As a side note, Grunder isn't that great and never cared for the tone of his voice. However, saw him in an interview and couldn't believe what a decent guy he appeared to be. I know none of you give a crap about that but he does appear to be a very nice guy.This coming from the guy who basically convicts trainers of cheating without a shred of real evidence is kinda funny...

PaceAdvantage
02-18-2013, 02:28 AM
Which guy? Surely you don't mean Costy? Those would be fighting words....Costy?

proximity
02-18-2013, 03:22 AM
I don't always stay in Charles Town WV, but when i do, i stay at the Inn at Charlestown. :D

next time do it right. embrace bullring history and stay at the TURF MOTEL! :)

Stillriledup
02-18-2013, 03:25 AM
This coming from the guy who basically convicts trainers of cheating without a shred of real evidence is kinda funny...

Does circumstantial evidence count? There are videos, past performances and speed figures that we could use to determine if 'something seems amiss'.

Track Phantom
02-18-2013, 03:34 AM
Does circumstantial evidence count? There are videos, past performances and speed figures that we could use to determine if 'something seems amiss'.

Don't even bother trying to debate him on this. We are well past the "debate" stage on this issue and he knows it.

Robert Goren
02-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Give me Grunder over Mark "the screamer" Johnson any day.Amen to that!

cj
02-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Costy?

Costy Caras (http://articles.herald-mail.com/1999-06-04/news/25123195_1_thoroughbred-track-simulcast-races-bill-bork)

GatetoWire
02-18-2013, 11:14 AM

I was right.

Vic:
I think it's time for you to go back and watch your Vanity call when Zenyatta beat St. Trinians "on the money".

That was equally as great a call as any Tom has made.

RXB
02-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Who was riding Arazi?

PVal.

PaceAdvantage
02-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Costy Caras (http://articles.herald-mail.com/1999-06-04/news/25123195_1_thoroughbred-track-simulcast-races-bill-bork)No...definitely not...this guy is still calling, and has been for years now at CT...

PaceAdvantage
02-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Don't even bother trying to debate him on this. We are well past the "debate" stage on this issue and he knows it.But wait...a lot of these trainers you are convicting come off as decent guys when interviewed in the press, don't they? Doesn't that count? :lol:

I just think it's funny you are getting on people for criticizing race callers (in their underwear in front of their computer screens no less), while you are trying and convicting some trainers (a much more serious call in my opinion) with nothing much to back it up other than your opinion...

cj
02-18-2013, 12:20 PM

As a side note, Grunder isn't that great and never cared for the tone of his voice. However, saw him in an interview and couldn't believe what a decent guy he appeared to be. I know none of you give a crap about that but he does appear to be a very nice guy.

Since those of us sitting in our boxers don't get paid to be announcers, it would seem pretty silly to think we would be much better. But, we do pay the salary of the announcer.

v j stauffer
02-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Since those of us sitting in our boxers don't get paid to be announcers, it would seem pretty silly to think we would be much better. But, we do pay the salary of the announcer.

What's wrong with calling the races in ones boxers?

cj
02-18-2013, 04:01 PM
What's wrong with calling the races in ones boxers?

Nothing, just don't invite me to the booth that day.

v j stauffer
02-18-2013, 04:11 PM
Nothing, just don't invite me to the booth that day.

Does that mean I don't get my salary that day? Ok I'll wear proper attire. Surprised you played the "we pay their salary" card. Haven't heard that one since my last traffic ticket.;)

cj
02-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Does that mean I don't get my salary that day? Ok I'll wear proper attire. Surprised you played the "we pay their salary" card. Haven't heard that one since my last traffic ticket.;)

You payed mine for 23+ years, I didn't mind.

v j stauffer
02-18-2013, 04:27 PM
You payed mine for 23+ years, I didn't mind.

:confused: Maybe you shouldn't work on Holidays :confused:

affirmedny
02-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Trevor just butchered the 10th at SA with just as bad a call as started this thread. I bet nobody calls for him to step down.

cj
02-18-2013, 08:32 PM
Trevor just butchered the 10th at SA with just as bad a call as started this thread. I bet nobody calls for him to step down.

Trevor has been called out on this board on numerous occasions. The BC noticed apparently.

Stillriledup
02-18-2013, 09:04 PM

Maybe Grunder will come in here and start a thread about Trevor and now even the great ones miss a call every now and then! :D

horses4courses
02-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Few people west of the Rockies ever criticize Trevor.
Tom Durkin seldom has a bad word said about him by those in the east.
Funny how that works......

Tom
02-18-2013, 10:13 PM
I don't particularly care for either of them.

v j stauffer
02-19-2013, 01:16 AM

Didn't hear the call. I made many mistakes over the years. A great number of them in the last race of the week after calling a weekend of graded races. HATE that race. Once upon a time they had back-up announcers for just that reason. Wish they still did.

PhantomOnTour
02-19-2013, 01:53 AM
Didn't hear the call. I made many mistakes over the years. A great number of them in the last race of the week after calling a weekend of graded races. HATE that race. Once upon a time they had back-up announcers for just that reason. Wish they still did.
I never understood the need for a race after the big GrStks feature on a weekend card, esp Triple Crown and Breeder's Cup days (although i have an amazing penchant for hitting the race after the Preakness every year).

At the Texas Jam or Lollapalooza no one comes on and plays a set after the headline act.
Was there another fight after Tyson-Douglas in Japan?

Ahhh - the get out bet, like Monday Night Football

v j stauffer
02-19-2013, 01:56 AM
I never understood the need for a race after the big GrStks feature on a weekend card, esp Triple Crown and Breeder's Cup days (although i have an amazing penchant for hitting the race after the Preakness every year).

At the Texas Jam or Lollapalooza no one comes on and plays a set after the headline act.

The Phantom is wise.

Vinman
02-19-2013, 03:36 AM
Does anyone know the full names of the two new pre-race analysts at Gulfstream? They seem to be out of sync with each other more than most twosomes in terms of who is supposed to be talking. He sounds like he needs to rest his voice to get rid of that constant rasp. She signs off each day with something in French. Is she Canadian? Anyone have any info on their prior experience?

JustRalph
02-19-2013, 06:12 PM

Back in the day parking was packed. The last race kept some from leaving and making it easier to clear the parking lots. I heard this from a guy that worked at a track in the 70's.

Greyfox
02-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Back in the day parking was packed. The last race kept some from leaving and making it easier to clear the parking lots. I heard this from a guy that worked at a track in the 70's.

Yes. And some top jockeys wanted to leave before the rush as well.
One had to have a horse with a reasonable chance of winning to convince them to stay around for the nightcap.

affirmedny
02-19-2013, 06:45 PM

If the backup announcers didn't say the F word over the air they might still be backup announcers, lol ;) just kidding, as for Trevor, he was calling the 8 in front while the 9 was in front by 5 lengths or so.

v j stauffer
02-19-2013, 07:35 PM
If the backup announcers didn't say the F word over the air they might still be backup announcers, lol ;) just kidding, as for Trevor, he was calling the 8 in front while the 9 was in front by 5 lengths or so.

One F bomb ruins it for all of us. I say give him another chance! As for Trevor. I've done that myself. Just a horrible feeling. Happens. We're human and make mistakes. When it does you can't wait for the next race to purge that sick feeling out of your system. That's another sucky thing about when I do it in the last race of the week.:bang: Have to wait till Thurs. :mad:

thespaah
02-19-2013, 09:08 PM
chills & thrills!

-abcCS5F9mM
Not related to the topic of the thread. I noticed the saddle cloth colors. These matched the color scheme used in Harness.
To the thread. I always enjoyed this caller's style. He was "old school".

thespaah
02-19-2013, 09:14 PM

There is a fine line here between "bashing" and "criticism"..
I would term "bashing" as a verbal or written assault born of malice. It sometimes can go as far as a personal attack.
Criticism is merely a negative subjective observation based on a person's dislike for something or someone. It is absent of "colorful metaphors" and personal issues.

thespaah
02-19-2013, 09:27 PM
What's wrong with calling the races in ones boxers? :lol:

thespaah
02-19-2013, 09:34 PM
One F bomb ruins it for all of us. I say give him another chance! As for Trevor. I've done that myself. Just a horrible feeling. Happens. We're human and make mistakes. When it does you can't wait for the next race to purge that sick feeling out of your system. That's another sucky thing about when I do it in the last race of the week.:bang: Have to wait till Thurs. :mad:
Has that ever happened? A race caller dropping a "bomb"....Hell that guy(Bob Beckel) on "The Five" on Fox News Channel has done it several times and he still has his gig.

thespaah
02-19-2013, 09:43 PM
There are callers I think are good at what they do. Others I do not. I prefer to take the high road....Yeah, I could offer up my likes and don't likes. But in the interest of sanity..not going there. Reason? Simple. I cannot do their job.
I do not possess the ability to as you guys do, to forget the last race. Heck, you should see me dwell over a bad shot on the golf course. The next three suck too..

GatetoWire
02-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Does anyone know the full names of the two new pre-race analysts at Gulfstream? They seem to be out of sync with each other more than most twosomes in terms of who is supposed to be talking. He sounds like he needs to rest his voice to get rid of that constant rasp. She signs off each day with something in French. Is she Canadian? Anyone have any info on their prior experience?

John DeSantis (also known as Johnny D) and Christina Bossanakis.

Johnny is head of marketing for Xpressbet I believe and Christina writes for the TDN (Thoroughbred Daily News).

She is from Canada. Montreal I think.

She was on TVG before during the Monmouth meet.

Vinman
02-19-2013, 10:00 PM

Johnny is head of marketing for Xpressbet I believe and Christina writes for the TDN (Thoroughbred Daily News).

affirmedny
02-19-2013, 10:18 PM
Has that ever happened? A race caller dropping a "bomb"....Hell that guy(Bob Beckel) on "The Five" on Fox News Channel has done it several times and he still has his gig.

The marketing guy at Hollywood, George-something, called the last race for Vic once, made a mistake, and dropped the F bomb after the race without shutting his mike off is the way I recall it. I think the guy is a jockey agent too now. Seems like a nice guy who just made a mistake but I don't think he ever called a race again. Was so upset he shaved all his hair off, poor fellow. ;)

racingfan378
02-20-2013, 01:57 AM

And according to TDN, she raced Homing Pigeons for 15 years when she lived in Canada. I wonder what the takeout is on those races and perhaps wind needs to be factored into the HSF.

What!? You're asking what the hell is "HSF"?

Well silly it's the HomingSpeedFig :lol:

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/contact/?CFID=76865830&CFTOKEN=78378703

Stillriledup
02-20-2013, 02:03 AM
The marketing guy at Hollywood, George-something, called the last race for Vic once, made a mistake, and dropped the F bomb after the race without shutting his mike off is the way I recall it. I think the guy is a jockey agent too now. Seems like a nice guy who just made a mistake but I don't think he ever called a race again. Was so upset he shaved all his hair off, poor fellow. ;)

Its George Ortuzar and he could call another race at Hollywood if Vic lets him :lol:

https://twitter.com/GeorgeOrtuzar

v j stauffer
02-20-2013, 03:19 AM
Its George Ortuzar and he could call another race at Hollywood if Vic lets him :lol:

https://twitter.com/GeorgeOrtuzar

George sometimes does the "good night" for me when I have a really tight flight on Sundays. Often a huge help. As for calling one, that's Mr. Wyatt or Mr. Liebau's call. They decide who mans the mike at BHP.

Stillriledup
02-21-2013, 03:24 PM
In Tampa's 6th today, the winner was Brady. The 3rd place finisher was Patriots Way who was racing in a clear 2nd turning for home.

64 dollar question time...if Brady and Patriots way had finished 1-2, would Grunder have made a comment about a 'hunch exacta' or would he have dropped the ball?

You know Vic would have said something. ;)

CryingForTheHorses
02-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Watch the 9th race on feb 8..I have a horse called Riversrunrylee in front the whole way and Grunder was calling Riverrunsrylee for the whole race.Was nice to win the race but the mispronounced name makes me shake my head.This horse had run at Tampa for several years.I also excaped a claim because the people filled out the claim the same way Grunder called it.. :bang:

cj
03-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Today, I've noticed Choly called "Chloe" the whole race, and Ericafromamerica called "Eric of America". There were a few others I was laughing at the I can't remember.

I guess I should just be amazed when he gets one right by now.

Stillriledup
03-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Today, I've noticed Choly called "Chloe" the whole race, and Ericafromamerica called "Eric of America". There were a few others I was laughing at the I can't remember.

The most amazing thing about it is that you're willing to listen to the 'nails on the chalkboard'! I reach for the mute button as soon as i see them loading at that place.

cj
03-29-2013, 04:31 PM
The most amazing thing about it is that you're willing to listen to the 'nails on the chalkboard'! I reach for the mute button as soon as i see them loading at that place.

I work with my back to the TV, so sometimes I just listen.

phattty
03-30-2013, 01:23 AM
Today. Had the best yet.

" the rider of the 1horse has claimed foul against the rider of the 1horse for interference in the stretch"

Gets better everyday.... :bang:

castaway01
03-30-2013, 07:10 AM
Today. Had the best yet.

" the rider of the 1horse has claimed foul against the rider of the 1horse for interference in the stretch"

Gets better everyday.... :bang:

I've seen some riders who definitely interfered with their own chances of winning, so maybe it's legit. ;)

SandyW
03-30-2013, 10:02 AM
Business is real good at Tampa.

You never change a successful formula.

Give the guy a break, he is not going anywhere, big friend of the owners of the track.

cj
03-30-2013, 10:04 AM
Business is real good at Tampa.

You never change a successful formula.

Give the guy a break, he is not going anywhere, big friend of the owners of the track.

I don't care if he goes anywhere. It doesn't change anything for me. I find it humorous to be honest.

SandyW
03-30-2013, 12:15 PM
I don't care if he goes anywhere. It doesn't change anything for me. I find it humorous to be honest.
I agree with you, it is humorous, but we would miss his voice as he is part of the growth and colorful Tampa Bay racing.
Like Vince Scully with the Dodgers he is a part of the fiber of Tampa.

castaway01
03-30-2013, 05:48 PM
I agree with you, it is humorous, but we would miss his voice as he is part of the growth and colorful Tampa Bay racing.
Like Vince Scully with the Dodgers he is a part of the fiber of Tampa.

Did you really compare Vin Scully, one of the greatest baseball announcers of all time, with Richard Grunder, one of the worst racecallers of all time? Seriously?

By the way, while obviously Tampa has had huge growth in business, their handle was down 11% last year, so maybe their Grunder-fueled betting growth has peaked. :rolleyes:

Tom
03-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Grunder is a welcome relief after suffering through any time with Zoe Cadman.
She has a voice made for newspapers.

Valuist
03-31-2013, 11:30 PM

He refers to a horse called Themanmythandlegend as Themanminilegend. I don't know how you can get that from the horse's name.

v j stauffer
04-01-2013, 12:19 AM
Did you really compare Vin Scully, one of the greatest baseball announcers of all time, with Richard Grunder, one of the worst racecallers of all time? Seriously?

By the way, while obviously Tampa has had huge growth in business, their handle was down 11% last year, so maybe their Grunder-fueled betting growth has peaked. :rolleyes:

CJ wasn't comparing the abilities of Vin Scully and Richard Grunder. He was speaking of the comfort and familiarity associated with hearing the same voice over many years sharing something we enjoy.

Tampa is a terrific signal that wouldn't be as good without Richard.

johnhannibalsmith
04-01-2013, 12:20 AM
... I don't know how you can get that from the horse's name.

A keen sense of humor? :lol:

comet52
04-01-2013, 02:23 PM
I think there can be a worse announcer - the guy at Turfway Park.

Tom
04-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Turfway?
Judge Harry Stone.

judd
04-01-2013, 05:48 PM
golden gate :eek: :confused: :faint:

chadk66
04-01-2013, 06:35 PM
I think there can be a worse announcer - the guy at Turfway Park.yea I'd argue he's the worst I've heard.

SandyLoam
04-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Turfway is Mike Battaglia. Surely, a legacy to have gotten that job. He calls every race almost exactly the same, just plugs in the different horses. In a three-horse blanket, the outside horse is always "in the middle of the track." He's so slow, the Mars lander has less of a delay.

v j stauffer
04-04-2013, 01:26 AM
Turfway is Mike Battaglia. Surely, a legacy to have gotten that job. He calls every race almost exactly the same, just plugs in the different horses. In a three-horse blanket, the outside horse is always "in the middle of the track." He's so slow, the Mars lander has less of a delay.

Mike called 22 Kentucky Derbies. Heady stuff indeed. I have "only" 22 more to go to catch him!

PaceAdvantage
04-04-2013, 04:26 AM
Some announcers seem to have a lot more detractors than others. Conversely, some announcers seem to have a lot more fans than others.

Durkin has a lot of fans (a lot of detractors too)....you have a lot of fans (and I dare say a lot of detractors too).

Battaglia? Despite his numerous Derby calls (although never on a national stage, correct? At least none that I can ever recall), he doesn't seem to have many fans, but LOTS of detractors...

For what it's worth...which probably isn't much...

cj
04-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Battaglia? Despite his numerous Derby calls (although never on a national stage, correct? At least none that I can ever recall), he doesn't seem to have many fans, but LOTS of detractors...

That is because he is awful.

v j stauffer
04-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Some announcers seem to have a lot more detractors than others. Conversely, some announcers seem to have a lot more fans than others.

Durkin has a lot of fans (a lot of detractors too)....you have a lot of fans (and I dare say a lot of detractors too).

Not totally sure but I would think his calls were on the national broadcast more than a few times. Wow what a pressure cooker either way. Would love to give it a try. Might need oxygen by the top of the stretch.

As for my work.

Go right ahead and Dare Say. You'd be 100% correct. My calls certainly illicit an opinion. Some like, some really don't. Not much middle of the road.

I'm sure it's because I become so invested in them. I try to convey the emotion and excitement I feel about the race which I totally understand rubs some people the wrong way.

The " just call the dam race" old school crowd is never going to like my calls. I actually tried that approach for a short time early in my career. Felt like I was living a lie. Quickly went back to belting out what I was seeing and followed my heart.

Followed it all the way to PaceAdvantage!:jump:

wisconsin
04-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Not totally sure but I would think his calls were on the national broadcast more than a few times. Wow what a pressure cooker either way. Would love to give it a try. Might need oxygen by the top of the stretch.

As for my work.

Go right ahead and Dare Say. You'd be 100% correct. My calls certainly illicit an opinion. Some like, some really don't. Not much middle of the road.

I'm sure it's because I become so invested in them. I try to convey the emotion and excitement I feel about the race which I totally understand rubs some people the wrong way.

The " just call the dam race" old school crowd is never going to like my calls. I actually tried that approach for a short time early in my career. Felt like I was living a lie. Quickly went back to belting out what I was seeing and followed my heart.

Followed it all the way to PaceAdvantage!:jump:

Vic,

Don't change a thing.

I became hooked on your calls since that real short stint you did at Hawthorne years ago. Keep it up.

Onion Monster
04-04-2013, 03:01 PM
Grunder was especially bad yesterday.

Whomever calls the races at Will Rogers Downs does a fine job: professional manner, competent and subdued.

v j stauffer
04-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Grunder was especially bad yesterday.

Whomever calls the races at Will Rogers Downs does a fine job: professional manner, competent and subdued.

John Lies

JustRalph
04-04-2013, 04:07 PM
John Lies

As long as he gets the horses right, who cares

tonypp
04-04-2013, 06:10 PM
dog tracks have the worst,they might be patrons.

johnhannibalsmith
04-04-2013, 06:14 PM
dog tracks have the worst,they might be patrons.

Might as well be. Who the hell can even tell which one is which? It took me two months of boredom induced late night Havana Park OTB patronage to even realize that the seven dog wore some sort of Yankees jersey.

v j stauffer
04-04-2013, 07:28 PM

Who's on First?

Dan Montilion
04-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Needed that laugh!! Thanks JustRalph.

SandyW
04-04-2013, 08:17 PM
This whole thread is as silly as they come.

Just one question, does it matter who the announcer is and does it put one extra dollar in our pockets??

Why do we have to criticize people that are trying to do a job to the best of their ability??

cj
04-04-2013, 08:58 PM
This whole thread is as silly as they come.

Just one question, does it matter who the announcer is and does it put one extra dollar in our pockets??

Why do we have to criticize people that are trying to do a job to the best of their ability??

Of course it doesn't put money in our pockets, but it is supposed to be entertainment. Part of entertainment is getting a decent, accurate race call.

The guy at Tampa doesn't take the time to bother to learn the correct pronunciation of names. How is that the best of his, or anyone's, abilities? I don't really care much. Like I said, I find it funny. But please don't tell me someone that butchering names is doing his best. It isn't.

SandyW
04-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Of course it doesn't put money in our pockets, but it is supposed to be entertainment. Part of entertainment is getting a decent, accurate race call.

You say it is entertainment, well take away the betting aspect of this so call entertainment and see how many people want to be entertained.

All I am saying is put yourself in Grunder's place and see how you would feel if people continue to attack you. This has been going on since Feb. 16. Nobody is perfect not even you.

There is an end to everything and by now anybody that has an IQ of over 50 should see that this topic is so very stale, boring & burned out.

There is so much going on in the racing game today that we as players should focus on some positive and constructive things in the sport instead of picking people apart.

johnhannibalsmith
04-05-2013, 12:31 AM
... This has been going on since Feb. 16...

Pretty sure it has been going on since around 1984.

cj
04-05-2013, 12:59 AM
All I am saying is put yourself in Grunder's place and see how you would feel if people continue to attack you.

I would get better. I would work harder. I would put in calls and find out how to pronounce names. The rest of his mistakes, no problem. That is just something he is doing his best, most likely. But there is no excuse for butchering names. Can't help but notice you ignored that point.

SandyW
04-05-2013, 01:41 AM
I would get better. I would work harder. I would put in calls and find out how to pronounce names. The rest of his mistakes, no problem. That is just something he is doing his best, most likely. But there is no excuse for butchering names. Can't help but notice you ignored that point.

Can't help but notice you ignored my point restated below.

There is so much going on in the racing game today that we as players should focus on some positive and constructive things in the sport instead of picking people apart.

Hosshead
04-05-2013, 03:10 AM

So if you hired a plumber to fix the pipes in your house, only to come home from work to find your home flooded because he did such a lousy job, you would be happy that he attempted the job?

Most people work under scrutiny of some sort and if they can't "cut it" (do a good job) then they should be called on it, and either improve.. or be replaced.

davew
04-05-2013, 05:23 AM
I like him, but it does sound like he is yelling all the time.

PaceAdvantage
04-05-2013, 11:05 AM

Allow me to answer. It's a big board here with plenty of room to discuss ALL SORTS of topics...some important...some not as important...

Grunder, like all announcers in ALL sports, take heat when they screw up. That's the nature of the beast, and I see nothing wrong with that.

Carry on.

comet52
04-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Mike called 22 Kentucky Derbies. Heady stuff indeed. I have "only" 22 more to go to catch him!

If you ever get so bad that your calls sound like are a guy they pulled out of the stands and said here call this race, if your calls sound like you are pausing to look at a crib sheet and then at the horse and then at the sheet while they run another 16th as you figure out a horse's name, if you recycle the same 3 descriptive phrases in each race and are just dull as nails, then yes, you too should be put out to pasture as this guy ought to be.

comet52
04-05-2013, 12:22 PM
I'll give props to a race caller instead of a bash.

The other day a horse in the 9th at AQU named Hyman Roth won, and as he crossed the line well ahead, Durkin said, "Hyman Roth, looking like he's bigger than U.S. Steel."

vqUUIdv82fI

SandyLoam
04-05-2013, 12:46 PM

Not quite sure what your point is, Vic, but Battaglia is connected. 'Nuff said. I will say this: You are a great race caller, aces better than Battaglia, in my top five. Since you asked, I'll say, in no particular order, Stauffer, Peter Galassi, John G. Dooley (a true underrated star), Durkin, Frank Mirahmadi is good, Denman when he's on his game. And we will never forget the fantastic Phil Georgeff, a god in these parts.

thaskalos
04-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Not quite sure what your point is, Vic, but Battaglia is connected. 'Nuff said. I will say this: You are a great race caller, aces better than Battaglia, in my top five. Since you asked, I'll say, in no particular order, Stauffer, Peter Galassi, John G. Dooley (a true underrated star), Durkin, Frank Mirahmadi is good, Denman when he's on his game. And we will never forget the fantastic Phil Georgeff, a god in these parts.

With my eyes closed...Grunder sounds just like Phil Georgeff -- sans the "here they come spinning out of the turn"...

Try it...and see if you don't agree with me.

Greyfox
04-05-2013, 01:09 PM
And we will never forget the fantastic Phil Georgeff, a god in these parts.

I'll never forget "Luke." :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: ("Luke" Kruytbosch 1961- 2008)

comet52
04-05-2013, 01:21 PM
I'll never forget "Luke." :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: ("Luke" Kruytbosch 1961- 2008)

That guy was good. Bummer that he died young.

v j stauffer
04-05-2013, 02:09 PM
You say it is entertainment, well take away the betting aspect of this so call entertainment and see how many people want to be entertained.

All I am saying is put yourself in Grunder's place and see how you would feel if people continue to attack you. This has been going on since Feb. 16. Nobody is perfect not even you.

There is an end to everything and by now anybody that has an IQ of over 50 should see that this topic is so very stale, boring & burned out.

People that don't like something tend to share more than people who are fans.

There are many people who really like what Richard brings to the table in Tampa. I'm one of them.

I seriously doubt he would feel attacked if he read this entire thread. Opinions about what we do are the nature of the beast.

Speaking for myself I learned very early in my career not get too down about people who said I suck and not get a big head about those who like my work.

I believe opinions about all announcers are legit and totally fair game. It comes with the territory. We all chose this profession. There are plenty of jobs we can do in total anonymity with no critics except our immediate supervisors.

I know for a fact that Richard is held in very high regard at Tampa and the horsemen love him as do many fans.

So Sandy while I appreciate your concern. Don't worry. We're big boys and can take the heat.

cj
04-05-2013, 02:12 PM
There are many people who really like what Richard brings to the table in Tampa. I'm one of them.

I keep hearing that, but I've yet to actually hear anyone saying what he brings...other than unintended humor. Enlighten me.

I enjoy most announcers. The varied styles are great. It would be pretty boring if all announcers called the same way.

I don't enjoy those that don't take the job seriously, and to me learning to pronounce names is a big part of that. Every other announcer seems to be able to do it.

Greyfox
04-05-2013, 03:57 PM
People that don't like something tend to share more than people who are fans.

I don't doubt that.

In several studies of school teachers, it has been found that as a group, the number of negatives that they said to students in their verbal interactions outnumbered the positives 6 to 1 - for what it's worth here.

Marshall Bennett
04-05-2013, 03:59 PM
I simply cannot listen to Grunder anymore. I never wager at Tampa, hardly anywhere anymore for that matter, and I refuse to listen to a call that rattles the nerves if I've nothing to gain from it.

chadk66
04-05-2013, 04:22 PM
I know Richard on a personal basis. He is a jocks agent at Canterbury in the summer. His riders rode many races for me. He's a likeable guy that eats,sleeps and drinks racing. His ability as an announcer is basically up to whoever is hearing it. I've heard worse and I've heard better.

v j stauffer
04-05-2013, 04:22 PM
I keep hearing that, but I've yet to actually hear anyone saying what he brings...other than unintended humor. Enlighten me.

I enjoy most announcers. The varied styles are great. It would be pretty boring if all announcers called the same way.

I don't enjoy those that don't take the job seriously, and to me learning to pronounce names is a big part of that. Every other announcer seems to be able to do it.

Tampa is a terrific signal for many different reasons. Richards voice is synonymous their great product. It's a total package that IMO wouldn't be the same or as good without him.

Maximillion
04-05-2013, 05:30 PM
He does sound a little like Georgeff....you can tell he was probably influenced by him.
I only rarely play Tampa, but if he is constantly butchering names that would probably annoy me.....though sometimes it is amusing.

I bet a horse at Charlestown a few weeks ago...Makers Affair...who deep in the stretch became Makers Mark (what?) :)

v j stauffer
04-05-2013, 06:25 PM
He does sound a little like Georgeff....you can tell he was probably influenced by him.
I only rarely play Tampa, but if he is constantly butchering names that would probably annoy me.....though sometimes it is amusing.

I bet a horse at Charlestown a few weeks ago...Makers Affair...who deep in the stretch became Makers Mark (what?) :)

I do stuff like that all the time. Especially now that I'm OLD. I've never figured out why it happens. It's certainly an error but unforced. Not a lack of preparation, just happens. Ticks me off but I don't know what to do to avoid it.:bang:

cj
04-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Tampa is a terrific signal for many different reasons. Richards voice is synonymous their great product. It's a total package that IMO wouldn't be the same or as good without him.

Nice duck.

iwearpurple
04-06-2013, 12:26 AM

I think he was thirsty, or had one too many already.

racingfan378
04-06-2013, 01:27 AM
The CT guy is a horrible announcer and his backup should have the job, period! The Tampa announcer is a nice guy in general but it's like a sports player on the field, if you keep making mistakes, then it's time to be yanked.

I think Richard just needs to listen to his calls and see what's happening, but for the full time guy at CT there just isn't any hope. Why they let him still call the races there is beyond me. That's why Larry from MTH & GP goes and calls the big races in West Virgina...

PaceAdvantage
04-06-2013, 06:34 PM
I think Richard just needs to listen to his calls and see what's happening, but for the full time guy at CT there just isn't any hope. Why they let him still call the races there is beyond me. That's why Larry from MTH & GP goes and calls the big races in West Virgina...I've been saying this for YEARS and YEARS...my least favorite announcer anywhere...

PaceAdvantage
04-06-2013, 06:35 PM
BTW, Durkin's call of the Wood Memorial left much to be desired...does anyone else think he would be best served to tone down his big race calls a bit? Seems he is working himself into a tizzy in these big races and losing his focus at times.

Of course, I am judging him by his BEST CALLS, which is probably unfair of me at this point in his career...his best calls probably blow everyone else who ever called out of the water...

Tom
04-06-2013, 07:00 PM
I would rather listen to Grunder. :D

My opinion, no one can hold a candle to Johnny I.
No one.

He does a good job and he realizes it as about the race, not him.

Ocala Mike
04-06-2013, 08:26 PM
BTW, Durkin's call of the Wood Memorial left much to be desired

Agree. He called the wrong horse for 4th going under the finish as well. Best days (and calls) definitely behind him.

Tom
04-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Trevor called one today, so and so moves up to challenge so and so, problem was, so and so was at least 5 lengths out in front. Like he had it rehearsed and didn't bother to look at the horses.

johnhannibalsmith
04-06-2013, 09:00 PM
I'm guessing that it was a scintillating performance.

thaskalos
04-06-2013, 09:08 PM
BTW, Durkin's call of the Wood Memorial left much to be desired...does anyone else think he would be best served to tone down his big race calls a bit? Seems he is working himself into a tizzy in these big races and losing his focus at times.

Of course, I am judging him by his BEST CALLS, which is probably unfair of me at this point in his career...his best calls probably blow everyone else who ever called out of the water...
You don't have to compare Durkin's current calls to his previous best calls to realize that they are subpar. All you have to do is compare them to the calls of the vast majority of the race callers out there today.

IMO...nostalgia is the only thing he has going for him.

Maximillion
04-06-2013, 09:10 PM
I've been saying this for YEARS and YEARS...my least favorite announcer anywhere...

His voice is ok but yeah...goofing up names,positions (the 3.....no make that the 4) and sometimes long pauses during calls are pretty bad.

comet52
04-08-2013, 10:33 AM

I like his tone and inflection and vocal quality. He's an appealing sound to me. His mangling horse names does bother me sometimes but not enough that I'd turn the sound off.

comet52
04-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Oh I like the CT guy too, hehe. Like his style.

But that guy at Turfway, UGH. And the screaming MJ at Churchill, UGH.

The guy at Fairmount (who bets there?!) does two weird things. When they leave the gate he says "andeloff" instead of "and they're off" and he calls horses "harses". It's almost endearing after a while, haha.

Phantombridgejumpe
04-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Too bad he only gets the winter meet.

iceknight
04-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Trevor called one today, so and so moves up to challenge so and so, problem was, so and so was at least 5 lengths out in front. Like he had it rehearsed and didn't bother to look at the horses. Not sure which steaming service you were watching it on, but some of the track calls lag behind the video. So perhaps the track caller is watching directlly with binoculars etc and announcing.. and the video feed is coming 1-1,5 sec after?
This is not to say that they do not make mistakes, I have noticed some of the announcers muddle up names/numbers too.

Leparoux
04-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Tampa guy is painful to me.

Kurt Becker is the best (although his call in the 8th wasn't great yesterday)

Battaglia is rough. "GAAIIIIINING GROUND"

Big fan of Mark Johnson. Trevor is good too. For whatever reason, I'm not a Larry Collmus guy either.

Tom
04-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Not sure which steaming service you were watching it on, but some of the track calls lag behind the video. So perhaps the track caller is watching directlly with binoculars etc and announcing.. and the video feed is coming 1-1,5 sec after?
This is not to say that they do not make mistakes, I have noticed some of the announcers muddle up names/numbers too.

That is entirely possible- it was not even close - at least 5 lengths off.

SandyLoam
04-08-2013, 02:43 PM
In watching/listening to the races this weekend with this thread in mind:

Had Tampa on TVG in the background, so don't listen hard enough to gauge his accuracy. But every race sounded like the Derby.

Didn't pay much attention to Durkin, no big mistake jumped out at me.

The guy at Keeneland is pretty good.

I realized that what I'm looking for in a race call is an early summary of the tone of the race and positioning of the whole field. Then, if someone is bottled up on the backstretch or a big contender is struggling. Then, any moves any of them might be making, especially from the top of the stretch to the stretch. I hate it when announcers miss significant moves. The Keeneland announcer almost missed Rosie's nifty move on Gathering (which Schrupp and Bray bickered over for 20 minutes) in the eighth. Basically, I look more for the saddle cloth colors than listen to the announcers. The most you listen is at the track, I find, or with Arlington's infernal FOREST of trees.

It's always nice when the announcer can sneak in a little background information or inside joke about a horse in the stretch. Dooley and Stauffer seem the best at that with Denman OK when he's on.

Stillriledup
04-08-2013, 03:05 PM
In watching/listening to the races this weekend with this thread in mind:

Had Tampa on TVG in the background, so don't listen hard enough to gauge his accuracy. But every race sounded like the Derby.

Didn't pay much attention to Durkin, no big mistake jumped out at me.

The guy at Keeneland is pretty good.

I realized that what I'm looking for in a race call is an early summary of the tone of the race and positioning of the whole field. Then, if someone is bottled up on the backstretch or a big contender is struggling. Then, any moves any of them might be making, especially from the top of the stretch to the stretch. I hate it when announcers miss significant moves. The Keeneland announcer almost missed Rosie's nifty move on Gathering (which Schrupp and Bray bickered over for 20 minutes) in the eighth. Basically, I look more for the saddle cloth colors than listen to the announcers. The most you listen is at the track, I find, or with Arlington's infernal FOREST of trees.

It's always nice when the announcer can sneak in a little background information or inside joke about a horse in the stretch. Dooley and Stauffer seem the best at that with Denman OK when he's on.

Is Michael Wrona not 'the best' at sneaking jokes into the calls? I thought he was right up there with the best of them.

I dont like when the announcer emphasizes that a 'big contender' is struggling, Trevor Denman is really annoying at this, he will really emphasize the tote board and act as if the world is coming to an end if the 3-5 shot is in the back.

I'm not too much of a fan of announcers 'calling the winner' before it actually wins, i've gotten burned by them jinxing my horse before it actually wins. Its a tough game, i dont need someone yelling to me in my living room that i'm going to win when i end up not winning.

ldiatone
04-08-2013, 03:21 PM
who is calling PARX today?

SandyLoam
04-08-2013, 03:23 PM
I dont like when the announcer emphasizes that a 'big contender' is struggling, Trevor Denman is really annoying at this, he will really emphasize the tote board and act as if the world is coming to an end if the 3-5 shot is in the back.

I'm not too much of a fan of announcers 'calling the winner' before it actually wins, i've gotten burned by them jinxing my horse before it actually wins. Its a tough game, i dont need someone yelling to me in my living room that i'm going to win when i end up not winning.

Denman may have learned that with Zenyatta. He was apoplectic in her Breeders Cup races. Denman is fairly good, but not the best.

Maybe it's me, but I've noticed lately announcers more reluctant to call winners before the wire. Or even a full neck win on the wire for a photo.

Stillriledup
04-08-2013, 03:24 PM

I dont recognize this guy either.

ldiatone
04-08-2013, 05:25 PM
I dont recognize this guy either.
nice job, just miss the "hello"

dnlgfnk
04-08-2013, 09:57 PM
[QUOTE=Stillriledup]Is Michael Wrona not 'the best' at sneaking jokes into the calls? I thought he was right up there with the best of them.

Indeed. As in, "Bailey sets Cigar alight..."

dnlgfnk
04-08-2013, 10:00 PM
...or was that Durkin, after all?

racingfan378
04-08-2013, 10:13 PM

That was Darin Zocalli from The Big M; pic attached with his wife

Darin tries to sound a little too much like Larry Collmus, but still a strong caller

Better than the wanna be Tom Durkin guy Travis Stone from LaD.

I agree about Larry, he calls the same race over and over again. Nothing too exciting about his calls IMO

Doesnt mean the man isn't accurate, but it's a broken record, almost like he is a chartwriter with no flair expect he is talking out loud

TravisVOX
04-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Could you imagine the threads if our wagering activity was critiqued like announcers are on here?

Valuist
04-08-2013, 11:41 PM
[QUOTE=Stillriledup]Is Michael Wrona not 'the best' at sneaking jokes into the calls? I thought he was right up there with the best of them.

Indeed. As in, "Bailey sets Cigar alight..."

One of his better lines: "Horse X is staying like a mother in law".

racingfan378
04-08-2013, 11:47 PM
[QUOTE=dnlgfnk]

One of his better lines: "Horse X is staying like a mother in law".

or when a horse goes very wide he says " Horse X is covering more ground than Lewis & Clark " :D

Stillriledup
04-08-2013, 11:52 PM
Could you imagine the threads if our wagering activity was critiqued like announcers are on here?

It would be ugly.

We all make bets that if someone had seen those bets and or picks, they would be 100% convinced that this was our actual first day betting horses.

NJ Stinks
04-09-2013, 12:51 AM
nice job, just miss the "hello"

I thought he was really good too. He definitely saw the winning move early in the races I watched.

dnlgfnk
04-09-2013, 01:03 AM
The Fairmount caller is John Scully...been plugging away for years between a brief sojourn to Beulah. I never noticed the idiosyncracies mentioned about him.

Both Dave Johnson and Durkin had early exposure at Fairmount neighbor Cahokia Downs.

Dale Gribble
04-10-2013, 09:57 AM
There can't be a worse announcer than the Tampa guy

Indeed, and there can't be a worse bugler than the Keenland guy.:D

therussmeister
04-10-2013, 01:02 PM

At least you know it isn't a recording.

v j stauffer
04-10-2013, 01:09 PM

Yep, you're gonna fit in perfectly. You're among friends here.

cj
04-10-2013, 01:41 PM
I'm really starting to hate the Fair Grounds guy now. It isn't anything he did during the meet, but those damn commercials where they keep playing him holler "Star Guitar".

Stillriledup
04-10-2013, 01:43 PM
I'm really starting to hate the Fair Grounds guy now. It isn't anything he did during the meet, but those damn commercials where they keep playing him holler "Star Guitar".

Ironically, his legacy 'grew even more' with the win, but now his legacy is being tainted by the overplaying of that annoying commercial.

I was thinking of spending a ton of money to breed to Star Guitar but now, because they've annoyed me so much, i'm starting to change my mind. :(

horses4courses
04-10-2013, 01:54 PM
I've listened to 8 or 10 races since I wrote in this thread.
Haven't heard a bad call, but I don't listen too hard.

Unrelated, but I noticed that the turf track at Tampa is very lush right now.
I bet Gulfstream would love having that turf course.

cj
04-10-2013, 02:02 PM
I've listened to 8 or 10 races since I wrote in this thread.
Haven't heard a bad call, but I don't listen too hard.

Unrelated, but I noticed that the turf track at Tampa is very lush right now.
I bet Gulfstream would love having that turf course.

I have to admit, I haven't heard him butcher a name in a few days. Maybe he reads PA!

mannyberrios
04-10-2013, 02:05 PM
I thought that Star Guitar was a rock group!

racingfan378
04-10-2013, 02:25 PM

That's a pathetic comment to make. :mad:

Bash TVG (not FG caller John G Dooley) for playing the commerical over and over and over again. Just like the aging prostate commericals with former Redskins QB Joe T. they play ALL evening long

If I hear another thing about saw palmetto pills one more time......:bang:

cj
04-10-2013, 02:46 PM

Bash TVG (not FG caller John G Dooley) for playing the commerical over and over and over again. Just like the aging prostate commericals with former Redskins QB Joe T. they play ALL evening long

Dude, lighten up, I wasn't really bashing the announcer. I thought that was pretty obvious.

racingfan378
04-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Dude, lighten up, I wasn't really bashing the announcer. I thought that was pretty obvious.

Then you should have said "I'm really starting to hate TVG and the Star Guitar commerical"

cj
04-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Then you should have said "I'm really starting to hate TVG and the Star Guitar commerical"

Thanks, I'll add that to my list of "how others think I should post".

Stillriledup
04-10-2013, 03:03 PM

Allegedly, it takes only ONE super beta.......

Oh, never mind, just give them a call and you too can get a free bottle.

:D

racingfan378
04-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Thanks, I'll add that to my list of "how others think I should post".

sounds good to me

racingfan378
04-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Allegedly, it takes only ONE super beta.......

Oh, never mind, just give them a call and you too can get a free bottle.

:D

I'll let you know how it works

:lol:

"I wake up feeling more refreshed!"

but that's only when I hit a late night pick 4 that pays $3k and I have a few drinks to celebrate! ;)

Longshot6977
04-10-2013, 05:43 PM

Haha, then I'm really starting to hate Progressive Insurance commercials with Flo. Actually, I've been getting sick of their repeats for quite some time. :bang:

NJ Stinks
04-10-2013, 06:11 PM
I have to believe Mr. Grunder does not appreciate it when his thread drifts. (Pick an icon.)

MightBeSosa
04-10-2013, 06:12 PM

I'm no fan of the NY hornblower either

Ocala Mike
04-10-2013, 06:23 PM
Getting back to Grunder, he called the third horse second under the wire in today's 8th race instead of giving it a "too close to call' or "in a photo" for second. Aggravating, although I knew he got it wrong; I needed the 5-6, not the 5-8. Don't know why an announcer feels he has to develop the film for you by "guessing" at the finish; the NYRA guys NEVER do this.

cj
04-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Getting back to Grunder, he called the third horse second under the wire in today's 8th race instead of giving it a "too close to call' or "in a photo" for second. Aggravating, although I knew he got it wrong; I needed the 5-6, not the 5-8. Don't know why an announcer feels he has to develop the film for you by "guessing" at the finish; the NYRA guys NEVER do this.

Yeah, he blew at least one name today that I heard after I posted, but it wasn't too bad. All in all, one wrong placing and a small number of name botches is a pretty solid Grunder day.

Maximillion
04-10-2013, 07:07 PM

You can never accuse the the Penn National announcer of this....if its at all close the judges will "examine the photograph".

thaskalos
04-10-2013, 07:24 PM
I have recently started watching the races with the sound off...and find it quite a pleasant experience.

Greyfox
04-10-2013, 07:51 PM
I have recently started watching the races with the sound off...and find it quite a pleasant experience.

When I was a kid we used to sit by the old large radio in our living room and hear Clem McCarthy call the Kentucky Derby.
We thought he was wonderful.
However, I just listened to his call of the 1950 Kentucky Derby and it really wasn't that great.

Check it out for yourself at the following link:

http://archive.org/details/KentuckyDerbyBroadcasts

wisconsin
04-10-2013, 09:00 PM
When I was a kid we used to sit by the old large radio in our living room and hear Clem McCarthy call the Kentucky Derby.
However, I just listened to his call of the 1950 Kentucky Derby and it really wasn't that great.

That was pretty awful....

Greyfox
04-10-2013, 09:10 PM
That was pretty awful....

Yup. It was.

Yet Clem McCarthy is in the National Sports Writers and Sportscasters Hall of Fame and the American Sportscasters Association Hall of Fame.

From Wikipedia:

"McCarthy is also known for having mis-called the 1947 Preakness Stakes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preakness_Stakes) when a crowd standing on a platform blocked his view of the far turn, just as two horses with similar silks switched places. (Chic Anderson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chic_Anderson), one of McCarthy's most famous descendants as a track announcer, made a similar mistake in the 1975 Kentucky Derby (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_Derby).) As with Anderson later, McCarthy's quick and humble admission of the mistake helped the criticism eventually blow over."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clem_McCarthy

MightBeSosa
04-10-2013, 09:18 PM

It's called any port in a storm. When all you had was a bad call on the radio, it was probably great.

Greyfox
04-10-2013, 09:33 PM
It's called any port in a storm. When all you had was a bad call on the radio, it was probably great.

Just an aside and not wishing to derail the thread, that's how several men I know who were working in remote locales where the male to female ratio was high married ugly women.

craigbraddick
04-11-2013, 10:27 AM
I enjoyed listening to McCarthy's calls.

Very much of its time. I know he did a number of sports but was McCarthy ever a full time regular track announcer anywhere?

Craig

MightBeSosa
04-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Just an aside and not wishing to derail the thread, that's how several men I know who were working in remote locales where the male to female ratio was high married ugly women.

Yeah, but they were ugly, smart women who probably moved there on purpose. Shipped in for a softer spot so to speak. :D:D

cj
04-13-2013, 07:41 PM
I like Mirimadi this year at Oaklawn, but he butchered a big part of the Ark Derby call. He missed the 2 pulling up originally, and I think it threw him and he paused for a few seconds. Then, he called the 2 making a move before realizing his mistake.

johnhannibalsmith
04-13-2013, 07:52 PM
You misunderstood.

He was just doing one of his patented impressions...

...Grunder.

Ocala Mike
04-13-2013, 09:12 PM
Liked when Miramadi announced to the crowd, "They're moving into the gate," only to correct himself with a "Well, they're almost moving into the gate."

Ocala Mike
04-14-2013, 06:58 AM
Here's what Mirahmadi posted on Facebook about his call:

"I have critiqued and studied racecalls and announcers for as long as I can remember. My Arkansas Derby call was a nightmare. I was at back of pack, shifted to leaders and didn't see War Academy pulling up. Was scrambling trying to find him/figure it out and never recovered. I still can't believe it happened. Wish I had a video of what I was seeing through my binoculars during the frantic search for War Academy. You'd get dizzy watching it. I prefer pizza pie, but today the dish was humble pie."

PaceAdvantage
04-14-2013, 03:07 PM
We learn the most through our mistakes, not our successes, so it's refreshing to see that Frank M. is clearly the type who wants to and will learn from his...

racingfan378
04-14-2013, 06:04 PM
We learn the most through our mistakes, not our successes, so it's refreshing to see that Frank M. is clearly the type who wants to and will learn from his...

I think Frank M is a very solid track announcer. But the question I have is simple, did he make the big time too soon? He has all kinds of races called under his belt, this race was Oaklawn's biggest race of the year and he botched it horribly. Inexcusable!

Now I am glad he can step up to the plate, be a man, admit what he did. Not many other announcers can or will do that.

However with all his years of experience he should have done a better job.

here is what a sports guy said about Frank's call

http://wnst.net/horse-racing/2013-pimlico-day-8/

PhantomOnTour
04-14-2013, 06:11 PM
. I don't understand how announcers can bet the races they are calling...that's like an umpire betting on the game he is overseeing.

No it's not - announcers have no effect on the outcome of the contest, umpires do

racingfan378
04-14-2013, 06:15 PM
No it's not - announcers have no effect on the outcome of the contest, umpires do

It's not about the outcome, it's about doing your job as a racecaller correctly

Try watching a race you bet on and call the race in your head. You're going to be watching your horse more than following the whole field without being bias.

thaskalos
04-14-2013, 09:03 PM
I think Frank M is a very solid track announcer. But the question I have is simple, did he make the big time too soon? He has all kinds of races called under his belt, this race was Oaklawn's biggest race of the year and he botched it horribly. Inexcusable!

Now I am glad he can step up to the plate, be a man, admit what he did. Not many other announcers can or will do that.

However with all his years of experience he should have done a better job.

here is what a sports guy said about Frank's call

http://wnst.net/horse-racing/2013-pimlico-day-8/

A botched race call is "inexcusable'?

C'mon...

racingfan378
04-14-2013, 09:05 PM
The valid source comes from articles themself posted on drf.com with an interview from Frank himself

“There’s no question I love action,” Mirahmadi said. “There’s nothing quite like the thrill of that. I’ve gotten caught up in the high-paced action of wagering all my life. There’s a certain thrill when you’re living on the edge that’s like nothing else. I’ve made some mistakes in the past. Anyone who knows me personally knows I’ve had to overcome some personal issues in my life.” Mirahmadi said he has left behind his overzealous gambling periods

thaskalos
04-14-2013, 09:11 PM
The valid source comes from articles themself posted on drf.com with an interview from Frank himself

“There’s no question I love action,” Mirahmadi said. “There’s nothing quite like the thrill of that. I’ve gotten caught up in the high-paced action of wagering all my life. There’s a certain thrill when you’re living on the edge that’s like nothing else. I’ve made some mistakes in the past. Anyone who knows me personally knows I’ve had to overcome some personal issues in my life.” Mirahmadi said he has left behind his overzealous gambling periods
Any one of us could have made this sort of comment.

So what?

thaskalos
04-14-2013, 09:19 PM
It's not about the outcome, it's about doing your job as a racecaller correctly

Try watching a race you bet on and call the race in your head. You're going to be watching your horse more than following the whole field without being bias.

It's called "professionalism".

I would guess that most of the race announcers are active bettors...but I have yet to hear one exclaiming expletives because the horse he has wagered on is receding into the field.

johnhannibalsmith
04-14-2013, 11:00 PM
... did he make the big time too soon? ....

This isn't a big race by industry standards, but if anything proves that the guy can handle the pressures of working out a terribly complicated call, this is it. I'll go on record and declare that working this call out to damn near total perfection from start to finish is proof that the call yesterday was just an inopportune time to have a bad moment.

You even get a classic Vic and a classic Stauffer.

svuNMW3vsLU