Lots of tweets about it

PaceAdvantage
02-15-2013, 03:28 AM
This video is a tad scary...sonic boom at 14 second mark:

b7mLUIDGqmw

The invasion has begun... :eek:

PaceAdvantage
02-15-2013, 03:37 AM
I don't quite understand how it takes so long for that sonic boom to arrive...common sense says it's far away...the contrails are clearly visible in the sky and have been there for a while...then this sonic boom hits out of nowhere...and it packs quite the wallop as far as sonic booms go...

This story is sure to generate tons of conspiracy theories...and that's why God invented the Internet... :lol:

The end is nigh...

Marshall Bennett
02-15-2013, 05:07 AM
That's some crazy stuff. Just wonder if this was a fragment of the larger rock expected to fly by today.

DJofSD
02-15-2013, 09:05 AM
https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/302248484877238273/photo/1

sammy the sage
02-15-2013, 09:20 AM
I don't quite understand how it takes so long for that sonic boom to arrive...common sense says it's far away...the contrails are clearly visible in the sky and have been there for a while...then this sonic boom hits out of nowhere...and it packs quite the wallop as far as sonic booms go...

Fla. people know that lightning strikes...are 1 mile away for every second you count...ie 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004 would equal 4 miles

Hence the delay in THE sonic boom...

That said....3 weeks ago saw THE fastest ufo I've ever seen NOT a meteorite/shooting star...cleared the sky in about 5 secs...jets take alot longer AT altitude...and this WAS high up at night...

Almost started a thread about it :lol: ;)

DJofSD
02-15-2013, 09:31 AM
Fla. people know that lightning strikes...are 1 mile away for every second you count...ie 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004 would equal 4 miles

Hence the delay in THE sonic boom...

That said....3 weeks ago saw THE fastest ufo I've ever seen NOT a meteorite/shooting star...cleared the sky in about 5 secs...jets take alot longer AT altitude...and this WAS high up at night...

Almost started a thread about it :lol: ;)
Close but no cigar.

For every five seconds between the flash and the thunder, the strike is one mile away, not one mile for every second.

Greyfox
02-15-2013, 09:46 AM
Sound travels approximately 1082 feet per second.

We don't know how high those contrails are or their breadth.

While they look quite close, those contrails have to be at least 16,000 feet high (15 x1082) assuming that the cameraman started filming almost immediately.

This object came into the earth's atmosphere at over 30,000 miles an hour meaning that the sound barrier was broken multiple times.
Perhaps a physicist here could tell us how many Mach's that is and how many compressed booms were heard?
As I understand it sound travels 768 miles per hour.
I think it would be over 39 Machs.

Tom
02-15-2013, 09:53 AM
I was watching a show on H2 last night about threats from outer space hitting us. Then I heard about this this morning.

Grabbed an extra cup of tasty Westrock! :eek:

ArlJim78
02-15-2013, 10:35 AM
I blame man caused climate change.

marksinger
02-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Reminded me of War of the Worlds movie with Gene Barry.
Great movie.

PaceAdvantage
02-15-2013, 11:05 AM

We don't know how high those contrails are or their breadth.

While they look quite close, those contrails have to be at least 16,000 feet high (15 x1082) assuming that the cameraman started filming almost immediately.

This object came into the earth's atmosphere at over 30,000 miles an hour meaning that the sound barrier was broken multiple times.
Perhaps a physicist here could tell us how many Mach's that is and how many compressed booms were heard?
As I understand it sound travels 768 miles per hour.
I think it would be over 39 Machs.What I was trying to say was...wouldn't a sonic boom happen while the object is still in flight? From the video, it appears whatever left those contrails is long gone from the scene...already crashed? So, either those contrails are from something else (missile defense system?) or it isn't a sonic boom you're hearing in that video....all theories as to why there appears to be such a delay in that video are welcome...the longer the delay, the further away...and yet that video shows the BOOM to be very powerful for something supposedly so far away (which would account for the delay).

Hopefully my reply reads less confusing and less ignorant this time around...lol

Dave Schwartz
02-15-2013, 11:09 AM

At sea level.

As the air thins (i.e. altitude increases) doesn't it change?

Greyfox
02-15-2013, 12:07 PM
At sea level.

As the air thins (i.e. altitude increases) doesn't it change?

At sea level, in dry air, at 20C. That's why I said approximately.

In thinner air, sound waves would travel slower.

With respect to PA's question, we'd need a physics major to check in.

Not knowing the angle of descent, that object was travelling at a very high speed and who knows how far it was from the cameraman when it landed?

Dave Schwartz
02-15-2013, 12:49 PM
And possibly the sound is out of synch with the video.

Marshall Bennett
02-15-2013, 12:51 PM
One news report I heard said at impact the meteor was traveling 8 times the speed of a bullet. Bullets can range anywhere between 900 and 4000 feet per second. I'm sure there are exceptions plus or minus. If we use 2500 fps as it's speed at impact, this is equivalent to 17,000 mph. The meteor was obvious slowed drastically by friction as it entered the earths atmosphere. These figures are way far above the speed of sound whether measured at sea level or at entry into the atmosphere, although this varies at different altitudes.
My question would be, where and when is any sound barrier broken? The meteor was never traveling anywhere near the sound barrier. Only at impact was it anywhere below 17,000 mph.
In my opinion, and noise resembling a sonic boom would be the burning of the meteor itself (one this size would be extremely loud as it disintegrates) or perhaps the destruction due to its separation at various altitudes. Buildings shook and glass shattered as well adding noise as well.
This is only speculation on my part. I read years ago about another Siberian meteor strike at the turn of the last century and recall witnesses speaking of the noise level as it broke up in the article.

redshift1
02-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Ram pressure not friction causes compression of the air molecules along the leading edge of the meteor which is the source of the heat and light causing the meteor to burn up.

OTM Al
02-15-2013, 01:26 PM
An object is moving through the air at many times the speed of sound. The boom is happening only in the atmosphere as there needs to be pressure differences created between the front and the rear of the object caused by compression of the air in front of the object. Thus, the boom is continuously moving, not just a single event when the sound barrier is broken. The sonic boom sound is moving out from the object at the speed of sound. A very fast object is going to be gone and out of sight before the boom reaches the observer.

dartman51
02-15-2013, 01:26 PM

This story is sure to generate tons of conspiracy theories...and that's why God invented the Internet... :lol:

The end is nigh...

:eek: So Al Gore is God?? :lol:

JustRalph
02-15-2013, 01:59 PM
The space shuttle caused three sonic booms when it would land, if I remember right. Two very high up that couldn't be heard. One that could be heard. I don't think the shuttle was going 17k mies an hour on return. But watching the videos from last night reminded me very much of the videos from the shuttle breakup.

I could of swore I saw reports that Russian aircraft had intercepted this thing? None this morning?

FantasticDan
02-15-2013, 02:20 PM
I could of swore I saw reports that Russian aircraft had intercepted this thing? None this morning?Intercepting a meteor with aircraft or otherwise? That would be a neat trick.. :rolleyes: :D

http://www.infowars.com/russia-shot-down-the-meteor-theory-spreads-online/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=3

Greyfox
02-15-2013, 03:07 PM

I could of swore I saw reports that Russian aircraft had intercepted this thing? None this morning?

Maybe that explains the contrails?

I never knew meteors could make contrails.

ArlJim78
02-15-2013, 04:08 PM
rumor that an unharmed baby wearing a red cape was found at the meteorite crash site.

johnhannibalsmith
02-15-2013, 04:27 PM
rumor that an unharmed baby wearing a red cape was found at the meteorite crash site.

If so, Putin will be there to singlehandedly (aside from the cameras) see to his rescue and safety.

Actor
02-15-2013, 04:54 PM
With respect to PA's question, we'd need a physics major to check in.That would be me. B.S. 1966. M.S. 1975. Job title "Physicist" 1975-1980.

How fast was the meteor moving when it entered the atmosphere? Answer: At least 25,000 mph. This is the escape velocity that an object must have in order to escape the earth's gravitational pull, the rate at which the earth's gravity diminishes faster than the object decelerates. By "running the clock backwards" it can be shown that an object at a great distance from the earth and having zero velocity, if pulled into the earth by gravity, will strike the earth at escape velocity.

25,000 mph is the minimum. The speed could have been, and probably was, much greater. Tour guides at the meteor crater site in Arizona told me that the impact speed of that meteor was 50,000 mph. When I asked how they knew that they had no clue. The reported velocity of 30,000 mph for this meteor makes sense and was probably obtained by some kind of measurement, possibly radar.

What was the Mach number? It's a matter of precision. You may as well say 40. Say the speed of sound is 750 mph. Trying to be more precise than that gets you nowhere since the speed of the meteor, 30000 mph, is a nice round figure, suggesting the actual velocity is +/- 100 mph or even +/- 1000 mph. A calculation is only as precise as its least precise element, i.e., dividing an imprecise number by a precise number gives an imprecise result. 30000 divided by 750 equals 40.

Note: I acknowledge that statisticians get precise numbers from a lot of imprecise data, but this is a sample of one so statistics don't apply.

How many sonic booms were there? Two, one caused by the front of the meteor pushing aside the air and one caused by the air rushing into the vacuum behind the meteor and colliding with itself. You can see the same phenomena in the wake of a boat. The primary wake extends from the bow. A smaller wake extends from the stern. In the case of a boat the wake is two dimensional on the surface of the water. A sonic boom is three dimensional in air. An observer will hear two booms very close together.
The meteor may have exploded. I think it probably did. It's common for meteors and comets to explode in the earth's atmosphere as the Tunguska comet did. Observers may have heart the sonic booms and the explosion. I think the sound on the video was an explosion.
Was the meteor a fragment of the asteroid? I think it more likely it was a "moon" of the asteroid, i.e., the meteor orbited the asteroid. However, the gravitational attraction between the two is so small that very little force would be required to separate the two, so you may as well consider them as traveling independently.

elysiantraveller
02-15-2013, 07:02 PM
This is how the zombie virus starts...

JustRalph
02-15-2013, 07:30 PM
I'm not buying............

Ocala Mike
02-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Was the meteor a fragment of the asteroid? [/LIST]

Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, Director of the Hayden Planetarium, was interviewed on NPR today, and he declared that the two events were a "cosmic coincidence" and had nothing to do with each other.

Greyfox
02-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Not everyone thinks it was a meteor. As I asked earlier, do meteors leave contrails?

Blame it on Bush.

"Moscow. Farid Akberov – APA (http://en.apa.az/). Russian nationalist lawmaker Vladimir Zhirinovsky, long known for his flamboyance and outrageous remarks, said Friday that meteorite fragments had not rained down on Russia in the morning, but that the light flashes and tremors in several of the country’s regions resulted from US weapons tests, APA (http://en.apa.az/) reports quoting RIA Novosti.
“Those aren’t meteors falling, it’s the Americans testing new weapons,” Zhirinovsky, leader of the Liberal Democratic Party, told journalists several hours after the Emergencies Ministry began issuing statements on the incident, which has injured hundreds and damaged scores of buildings."

FantasticDan
02-15-2013, 10:15 PM
Not everyone thinks it was a meteor. As I asked earlier, do meteors leave contrails?
http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireballs/faqf/

See #3 regarding smoke trails.

PaceAdvantage
02-15-2013, 10:18 PM
I also read early on that Russia defense forces tried to intercept...I thought I read they used missiles, and not fighter jets...or maybe missiles fired from fighter jets?

Either way, I read what Ralph read...but like him, haven't heard any word about that in later reports...

Those contrails seem to be two separate and distinct trails at one point, which leads towards the missile theory...who knows...

elysiantraveller
02-15-2013, 10:24 PM
I also read early on that Russia defense forces tried to intercept...I thought I read they used missiles, and not fighter jets...or maybe missiles fired from fighter jets?

Either way, I read what Ralph read...but like him, haven't heard any word about that in later reports...

Those contrails seem to be two separate and distinct trails at one point, which leads towards the missile theory...who knows...

I would think once its in the atmosphere it would be way too late to try that but with some early warning you could maybe take a stab on it at approach.

Actor
02-16-2013, 12:06 AM
Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, Director of the Hayden Planetarium, was interviewed on NPR today, and he declared that the two events were a "cosmic coincidence" and had nothing to do with each other.Based on data I've seen since my post I concur with Dr. Tyson. :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
02-16-2013, 02:41 AM
Now California

http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/16/16980332-fireball-over-north-california-causes-a-stir?lite

rastajenk
02-16-2013, 06:20 AM
Maybe the Mayans weren't wrong after all, just a little off. Perhaps they hadn't realized the importance of the track variant (leap years). :p

Marshall Bennett
02-16-2013, 08:05 AM
As it turns out, the noise (blast) was from the meteor breaking up at an altitude of 18 to 32 miles, and had nothing to do with breaking the sound barrier or a "sonic boom". The meteor was nowhere close to the speed of sound until fragments made impact with the earth. The estimated speed at entry into earth's atmosphere was 33,000 mph. Nasa estimated it at 40,000. It's speed before impact would have slowed, but not anywhere near Mach I.

Greyfox
02-16-2013, 08:34 AM
The meteor was nowhere close to the speed of sound until fragments made impact with the earth. The estimated speed at entry into earth's atmosphere was 33,000 mph. Nasa estimated it at 40,000. It's speed before impact would have slowed, but not anywhere near Mach I.

I don't understand what you are saying by "nowhere close to the speed of sound."

A physical object travelling 33,000 mph, be it an airplane, rocket, or stone, is breaking the sound barrier many times. In fact that would almost be 43 Mach. One would anticipate a huge sonic boom from it independent of whatever sound it might make at impact.

Marshall Bennett
02-16-2013, 09:19 AM
I don't understand what you are saying by "nowhere close to the speed of sound."

A physical object travelling 33,000 mph, be it an airplane, rocket, or stone, is breaking the sound barrier many times. In fact that would almost be 43 Mach. One would anticipate a huge sonic boom from it independent of whatever sound it might make at impact.
I meant "nowhere close" in terms of it's speed being much higher than the speed of sound.

PaceAdvantage
02-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Now California

http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/16/16980332-fireball-over-north-california-causes-a-stir?liteHow many times are they going to tell us these two events have nothing to do with the big rock that supposedly missed us? :lol:

"Nothing to see here...move along people..."

The invasion has begun.... :eek:

elysiantraveller
02-16-2013, 10:10 AM
How many times are they going to tell us these two events have nothing to do with the big rock that supposedly missed us? :lol:

"Nothing to see here...move along people..."

The invasion has begun.... :eek:

Zombies!

DJofSD
02-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Without knowing the orbital parameters, it's difficult to say one way of the other. It's not unheard of for there to be swarms.

Tom
02-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Global warming....the hotter atmosphere is sucking in space debris.

PaceAdvantage
02-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Here's some video purportedly from the California event:

HLpTOc1i8_8

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_22601594/reaction-meteor-leaves-northern-california-starstruck

elysiantraveller
02-16-2013, 10:27 AM
Here's some video purportedly from the California event:

HLpTOc1i8_8

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_22601594/reaction-meteor-leaves-northern-california-starstruck

How many people on here have seen these before? I would assume TJDave has seen a few. I have as well heading out into nature as early as us hunters do.

FantasticDan
02-16-2013, 10:31 AM
How many people on here have seen these before? I would assume TJDave has seen a few. I have as well heading out into nature as early as us hunters do.Definitely.. I've seen a few doozies over the years. The ironic thing is that I usually see squat when I go out to watch the major meteor showers.. :sleeping:

therussmeister
02-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Two separate and distinct trails leads much more likely towards the meteor is breaking up theory.

PaceAdvantage
02-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Two separate and distinct trails leads much more likely towards the meteor is breaking up theory.This is true...however, wouldn't a breakup make the chance of "air burst," which is what we're told was the source of that loud explosion in many of those videos, less likely?

Tom
02-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Anyone remember one over NYS back in the 60's?
I remember it was a warm night, and I was watching Get Smart....then it became as light as day - a huge flash....all the neighbors came out and we were all looking around to see what happened.
We thought - nuclear attack by Russia. One guy down the street went to his fallout shelter.

Scary time.

Marshall Bennett
02-16-2013, 12:25 PM
I was in Iran in the early 70's. Many of the homes had flat roofs you could walk on with railings or brick around the outer edges. One evening (not sure exactly the year, but think it was 1971) I was on the roof and saw a meteor (fireball) pass close enough that I could hear it sizzling and it left behind a very thin yellowish contrail. I had never seen one this large, but had heard they're fairly common. Many fall in the ocean and little is known about them. A few days later I read in the Herold Tribune English newspaper of a meteorite find in the Soviet Union, one about the size of a small car, that was associated with thousands of eyewitnesses that had seen the fireball on the same evening I saw this one. Also the meteor I saw was moving due north towards the Soviet Union. I suppose it fell intact because I heard no explosion or saw no breakup.
I would imagine witnessing one such as the monster that fell Friday would be a breathtaking experience.

DJofSD
02-16-2013, 12:34 PM
There is a word for these fire balls: bolide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolide

Greyfox
02-16-2013, 12:51 PM
Anyone remember one over NYS back in the 60's?
I remember it was a warm night, and I was watching Get Smart....then it .

Let's be honest. You were watching Agent 99.

http://seattletimes.com/ABPub/2006/11/08/2003371976.jpg (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=agent+99+get+smart&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=C0Zfq-3Ooo0arM&tbnid=4Tpbyg-g0TdlZM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fseattletimes.com%2Fhtml%2Ftelevis ion%2F2003392030_barbarafeldon12.html&ei=6MYfUdD-DuvFiwLFwYDIDQ&bvm=bv.42661473,d.cGE&psig=AFQjCNHwbRcbrKD0bGcWNn_yx3fcTuIlAQ&ust=1361123421628329)

Actor
02-17-2013, 02:01 AM
Let's be honest. You were watching Agent 99.

http://seattletimes.com/ABPub/2006/11/08/2003371976.jpg (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=agent+99+get+smart&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=C0Zfq-3Ooo0arM&tbnid=4Tpbyg-g0TdlZM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fseattletimes.com%2Fhtml%2Ftelevis ion%2F2003392030_barbarafeldon12.html&ei=6MYfUdD-DuvFiwLFwYDIDQ&bvm=bv.42661473,d.cGE&psig=AFQjCNHwbRcbrKD0bGcWNn_yx3fcTuIlAQ&ust=1361123421628329)Naw. Tom hadn't hit puberty yet. :lol:

99's old enough to be Tom's mother.

Tom
02-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Puberty was definitely part of the show's attraction! :cool:

DJofSD
02-17-2013, 09:57 AM
And then there was Barara Eden.

Actor
02-18-2013, 11:54 PM
CNN says that chunks of the meteorite are selling for twice the price of gold. :)

DJofSD
06-28-2013, 03:16 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/10148084/Russian-meteor-shock-wave-went-round-the-world-twice.html

Puts this even on the same level as erruptions of some volcanoes.