PDA

View Full Version : Excel acting badly

Tom
02-13-2013, 02:09 PM
I am trying to insert a function to count the number of cells in a column of data. All works fine.

Then, I try to do the same thing several hundred rows lower in the worksheet, and as soon as I select "count" the cursor goes back to the area where I did the last count. Now I have to scroll down and over. looking for the cell I want to put the result in. This is getting very old very fast. For the price of this program, one would assume it would out-perform $10 spread sheets. It does not in many areas! :mad:

How do you get the stupid program to do what it supposed to do?
I assume there is some option, buried somewhere, under a topic not at all releated to the problem, where a box has come unchecked that reads "Perform accurately." :bang::bang::bang::bang:

Anyone know where it is?

Greyfox
02-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Try

http://cache0.bdcdn.net/assets/images/book/medium/9780/4704/9780470489536.jpg.

hcap
02-13-2013, 06:31 PM
I am trying to insert a function to count the number of cells in a column of data. All works fine.

Then, I try to do the same thing several hundred rows lower in the worksheet, and as soon as I select "count" the cursor goes back to the area where I did the last count. Now I have to scroll down and over. looking for the cell I want to put the result in. This is getting very old very fast. For the price of this program, one would assume it would out-perform $10 spread sheets. It does not in many areas! :mad:

I assume there is some option, buried somewhere, under a topic not at all releated to the problem, where a box has come unchecked that reads "Perform accurately." :bang::bang::bang::bang:

Anyone know where it is?

Have you tried the =COUNTA and the COUNTIF functions?

=COUNTIF(A:A,">0") ......For numerical data

=COUNTA(A:A) ......For numbers and literals

You could substitute a named or specified range as well for either.

Tom
02-13-2013, 10:45 PM
Any function I select causes the cursor to go back to the last time I used any function.

JustRalph
02-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Tom, does this help any

http://m.techrepublic.com/blog/msoffice/three-ways-to-control-excels-cursor-movement-during-data-entry/8292

Not sure what version you are using

barn32
02-13-2013, 11:11 PM

Anyone know where it is?Would you accept a solution from a democrat?

Tom
02-13-2013, 11:24 PM
Only if you never speak of it again! :D

Yes.....I am bi-partisan in computers.

JJMartin
02-14-2013, 12:27 AM
post the sheet so i can look at it

Red Knave
02-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Only if you never speak of it again! :D

Yes.....I am bi-partisan in computers.
Are you typing it in the cell or into the, um, for lack of a proper word, the address bar?

Tom
02-14-2013, 10:56 PM
Ihave a column of numbers, say AE2345 to AE2587.
I put the cursor in cell AF2345 and go to the Formula Tab, then Insert function, than choose COUNT.

The cursor sheet then jumps back to the general are where I last did this function, say cell ZZ1456. I have to scroll back to AE2345 so that I can manually select the column to be counted. After the first time, it work ok, say if I next want to count AE2587 to AE3100, no problem. But when I move further away down the sheet and try to count again, same problem happens again.

raybo
02-20-2013, 12:12 PM
Ihave a column of numbers, say AE2345 to AE2587.
I put the cursor in cell AF2345 and go to the Formula Tab, then Insert function, than choose COUNT.

The cursor sheet then jumps back to the general are where I last did this function, say cell ZZ1456. I have to scroll back to AE2345 so that I can manually select the column to be counted. After the first time, it work ok, say if I next want to count AE2587 to AE3100, no problem. But when I move further away down the sheet and try to count again, same problem happens again.

Weird, never have had that problem in Excel. Guess you could just type in the formula instead of using the Insert Function icon? Like:
=count(ae2587:ae3100)