PDA

View Full Version : Euro Soccer - Champions' League

horses4courses
02-13-2013, 11:26 AM
The big match between Real Madrid/Man. United has it's first leg kicking off today at 245pm ET. Playing in Madrid, United will be hoping to hold them to a draw today to set up the deciding game in Manchester on 3-5-13.

Man. U. are playing well right now, but this is a serious test.
It's one thing crusing along in the BPL....this is very different.
Good luck to the Red Devils!!! :ThmbUp:

cj
02-14-2013, 01:30 PM
Advantage MU.

ManU918
02-23-2013, 07:18 AM
This whole tournament is up for grabs if Milan can hold on in the second leg vs Barca. I still cant believe Milan won that game 2-0.

horses4courses
02-23-2013, 07:28 AM
This whole tournament is up for grabs if Milan can hold on in the second leg vs Barca. I still cant believe Milan won that game 2-0.

It will still be tough for Milan to survive in Spain, but it confirms that Barcelona are not invincible any more.
Chelsea gritted it out in the semi-finals last year against them. They can be be beaten. A few years back, that wasn't the case.
Little margin for error in the Champions' League - one bad day and you're gone.

ManU918
02-23-2013, 07:41 AM
In 2011 there was no beating Barca. They completely dominated Man U in the final. It was hard to watch... But like you said now its completely different.... On any given day against a top team they can be defeated. I think Milan finds a way to hold on.

horses4courses
03-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Less than half an hour to kick off.
I haven't anticipated a game this much for a long time.

Come on you Reds!!!

PhantomOnTour
03-05-2013, 04:18 PM
What a game btw Real and Man U !

Bogus red card given to Nani, but those two goals by Real were works of art.
The shot by Modric and the heel flick pass by Ozil to set up the 2nd goal were just gorgeous.
I don't think any English team is of the quality of Barca, Real, Bayern and maybe even Dortmund this year.
Dortmund is a team on the come and very exciting to watch...looking forward to seeing them in the next round.

horses4courses
03-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Turkish referee took care of our chances.
What a moron...... :ThmbDown:

cj
03-05-2013, 05:21 PM
That was as ridiculous a sending off as you will ever see. Soccer is tough when the two most important decisions (sending off and off sides) are routinely blown.

horses4courses
03-05-2013, 05:29 PM
I'm not saying Man Utd would have gone on to win the CL, but they didn't deserve to go out like that.
I have a feeling Phantom is right about Dortmund, and their main rivals could be Bayern Munich.
Real Madrid are a good side, but not great.

Barcelona are running on fumes now since practically running away with the Spanish League.
They look old and tired. I doubt they get past AC Milan.
Real Madrid have beaten up on them lately, and the Italian club will be hard to break down in defense.
Not sure that Barca have much fight left in them.
That doesn't bode well for Spain in Brazil 2014, either.

cj
03-05-2013, 05:30 PM
I'm not saying Man Utd would have gone on to win the CL, but they didn't deserve to go out like that.
I have a feeling Phantom is right about Dortmund, and their main rivals could be Bayern Munich.
Real Madrid are a good side, but not great.

Barcelona are running on fumes now since practically running away with the Spanish League. They look old and tired. I doubt they get past AC Milan.
Real Madrid have beaten up on them lately, and the Italian club will be hard to break down in defense. Not sure that Barca have much fight left in them.
That doesn't bode well for Spain in Brazil 2014, either.

Who knows if they win, but they were certainly in control at that point, and I'm no ManU fan.

DaveEdwards
03-05-2013, 05:50 PM
I can't believe my first post on P.A. is going to be about football, but you lot have drawn me out.

That sending off was fair enough. Sure he wasn't looking at the Real player coming in, but his foot was too high and he caught the lad, according to the law he had to go. Even Man U legend Roy Keane said it was a sending off.

Admittedly it changed the game, but even if he had stayed there is nothing to say that Real wouldn't have beaten them. The goal by Modric was brilliant.

Hopefully as a Man City lad I've been as impartial as I could be! :D

cj's dad
03-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Horrible call - That call decided the match- horrible !!

horses4courses
03-05-2013, 08:44 PM
I can't believe my first post on P.A. is going to be about football, but you lot have drawn me out.

That sending off was fair enough. Sure he wasn't looking at the Real player coming in, but his foot was too high and he caught the lad, according to the law he had to go. Even Man U legend Roy Keane said it was a sending off.

Admittedly it changed the game, but even if he had stayed there is nothing to say that Real wouldn't have beaten them. The goal by Modric was brilliant.

Hopefully as a Man City lad I've been as impartial as I could be! :D

My sympathy to you, sir, for your years of suffering. ;)

Joking aside, Roy Keane is very much in the minority when it comes to the referee's decision at Old Trafford last night. His objectivity can, also, be questioned. MUFC legend, yes. Friend of Alex Ferguson, and the current regime? Hardly.
Since he turned 30, though, I never really felt the man was playing with a full deck mentally. Perhaps, he never was.

As a player, Roy Keane was exceptional. Always gave his all on the pitch.
His loyalty to club, and country, never waivered. Until he slowed down a yard, or two, mainly through injuries.
Suddenly, he turned into his own biggest fan and felt that nobody respected him.
His actions toward the Republic of Ireland - by pulling out of their squad days before the start of the 2002 World Cup in Japan/S.Korea - were a disgrace. It said much about him as a person, and his inflated ego concerning his footballing status. It, also, branded him as a man who's future in football management was limited, at best.

Let him spout his opinions with the pundits on TV. Best place for him to stir things up a little.
It's the only chance that he is likely to get to do so.

You are completely correct in saying that Real Madrid may well have won through to the quarter finals, anyway.
They should not, however, have had the referee's assistance in the matter.

DaveEdwards
03-06-2013, 03:09 AM
Thank you for the sympathies! I was actually resigned to never winning anything ever again & so everything that's happened recently has been amazing.

I wouldn't argue with anything you've said about Roy Keane there & to be honest I'm happy to admit the sending off was a little harsh, but I can see the rationale behind it.

Oh well, always next year!

Charli125
03-06-2013, 12:29 PM
I don't chime in on CL threads because, well, I'm a West Ham fan!

I thought the red was ridiculous. A definite yellow, but not a red.

horses4courses
03-06-2013, 12:32 PM
I don't chime in on CL threads because, well, I'm a West Ham fan!

I thought the red was ridiculous. A definite yellow, but not a red.

The only question we can ask you then, Charli, is how good is your singing voice for belting out a few verses of
"I'm forever blowing bubbles"? :cool:

DJofSD
03-06-2013, 02:34 PM
The only question we can ask you then, Charli, is how good is your singing voice for belting out a few verses of
"I'm forever blowing bubbles"? :cool:
Is that the song I kind of hear the fans at old Trafford singing?

horses4courses
03-06-2013, 02:45 PM

It's the West Ham anthem.
I don't think any other clubs sing it.

DJofSD
03-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Speaking of WH, I see their match against ARS has been pushed back a day.

Should be a good match esp with the league's number one scorer on the pitch.

PhantomOnTour
03-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Gentlemen...

keep calm, and follow the Arsenal !

DJofSD
03-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Gunners? Nope. I'd rather watch QPR. But then I'll stop to look at an auto accident scene.

DaveEdwards
03-06-2013, 05:28 PM
I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles is definitely only sung by West Ham. It's been their song for years.

DaveEdwards
03-06-2013, 05:29 PM
So are you all US football fans then or are any of you English ex pats?

Charli125
03-06-2013, 05:44 PM

ABSOLUTELY NOT! It's West Ham only, and you can hear it wherever we play, including away games.

Old Trafford has many songs, not the least of which is the old "Glory, Glory Man United". They're a very clever bunch.

And yes, I've been known to sing it loud and proud at both bars and when I'm visiting Upton Park.

I'm not an expat, but I lived over there from the time I was 1 month old till I was a few years old. My grandmother lived most of her life there, as did the rest of my family.

As far as the Arse game. It was the game that was originally scheduled for Boxing day but cancelled because of a train strike.

Charli125
03-06-2013, 06:00 PM
It's the West Ham anthem.
I don't think any other clubs sing it.

And here it is at Wembley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG3Er0Bhtls

cj's dad
03-06-2013, 07:10 PM
I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles is definitely only sung by West Ham. It's been their song for years.

What is the point of this song? I ask for Info only

Charli125
03-06-2013, 08:35 PM
From the wiki, there is a West Ham Connection section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'm_Forever_Blowing_Bubbles

Also, it's very fitting for a team that always has such high hopes, provides and has provided the best players on the England team through it's academy, yet always falls so low!

My wife first heard me singing it during a game on TV, and said it's pretty morbid. Can't argue with that.

PhantomOnTour
03-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Messi is just ridiculous - the best player i've ever seen.
He's Gretzky, he's Jordan.
So much quicker than his foes...little touches and changes of direction, laser perfect shooting.

Good game so far. You had count on fireworks with Barca down 2-0 coming in. Milan has had their chances...if they score then Barca needs 4 goals to go through.

DJofSD
03-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Messi is just ridiculous - the best player i've ever seen.
He's Gretzky, he's Jordan.
So much quicker than his foes...little touches and changes of direction, laser perfect shooting.

Good game so far. You had count on fireworks with Barca down 2-0 coming in. Milan has had their chances...if they score then Barca needs 4 goals to go through.
That 2nd leg match was one of the most enjoyable game I've watched in a while. A hellva lot better pitch I think had a lot to do with the outcome.

I so much enjoyed that match I went back to the beginning of the recording and fast forwarded to various moments to watch it again and again.

If I recall, being down 2-0 going into the 2nd leg has never been overcome before.

I was hoping Gerard would have scored a goal.

Passing was sharp, very, very sharp. It made ACM look like a Mexican team.

Messi has been handling balls since he was very young. 3? 4 years old?

P.S. Watching QPR win last weekend was fun. But they still have lots of work to do with little time left.

horses4courses
03-22-2013, 09:58 AM
From the wiki, there is a West Ham Connection section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'm_Forever_Blowing_Bubbles

Also, it's very fitting for a team that always has such high hopes, provides and has provided the best players on the England team through it's academy, yet always falls so low!

My wife first heard me singing it during a game on TV, and said it's pretty morbid. Can't argue with that.

Good news for West Ham today.
They finally sealed the deal to use the Olympic Stadium as their home venue.
Be interesting to see what comes of Upton Park.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/2/8582774/west-ham-secure-olympic-stadium

PhantomOnTour
04-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Wow - big drama from Paris as PSG gets a miracle deflection on a Matuidi shot and ties Barca 2-2.
Messi left with a hammy and it's not known if he'll play in Leg 2.
Barca did get two road goals but their D has been shaky lately

DJofSD
04-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Eeeeek! I'm saving that for later viewing.

P.S. I'm still bummed about MU not advancing but then CHE (not ARS - I'm an idiot) is the dominating force in FA competition.

horses4courses
04-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Eeeeek! I'm saving that for later viewing.

P.S. I'm still bummed about MU not advancing but then CHE (not ARS - I'm an idiot) is the dominating force in FA competition.

The winner of Man City/Chelsea will be a big favorite for the FA Cup final.
The bookies have City around 6/5, Chelsea 8/5 to win trophy.

PhantomOnTour
04-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Borusia Dortmund got very lucky today with a miracle, and i mean miracle, comeback win vs Malaga....2 goals in injury time to win it 3-2.
A draw would have meant elimination based on away goals.

On to the semis

DaveEdwards
04-11-2013, 06:16 PM
For me Man City win this years FA Cup. OK I know I am a fan, but putting that aside we've been playing like a this was the only priority for a good few weeks now.

Tactically Mancini is better than Benitez could ever hope to be so I can only see one outcome for Sunday afternoon.

horses4courses
04-11-2013, 06:23 PM
For me Man City win this years FA Cup. OK I know I am a fan, but putting that aside we've been playing like a this was the only priority for a good few weeks now.

Tactically Mancini is better than Benitez could ever hope to be so I can only see one outcome for Sunday afternoon.

City should win.
With Aguero fit again, I don't see how Chelsea can contain them.

PhantomOnTour
04-24-2013, 01:56 AM
Wow - what a mauling that was today.
Bayern over Barca 4-0

Barcelona's defense showed big time weakness in their 1/4 final matchup vs PSG, and they were just outsized & outmuscled today. Iker Casillas is injured too.
Seriously doubt they make up that deficit at home.

Personally, i think the Spanish players are just plain tired.
Most of the Barca squad is also on the Spanish National Team, except for Messi and a few others. That Spanish Nat'l Team has been playing at an elite level for about 5yrs...winning everything (which means a lot of games).
Also, their whole squad is on Barca and Real Madrid...they go deep into their domestic tournaments and the Champions League every year.

That being said (and even though i'm a fan of Dortmund) i think Real has too much quality and will win this home & home...tired players or not.

Striker
04-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Wow - what a mauling that was today.
Bayern over Barca 4-0

Barcelona's defense showed big time weakness in their 1/4 final matchup vs PSG, and they were just outsized & outmuscled today. Iker Casillas is injured too.
Seriously doubt they make up that deficit at home.

Personally, i think the Spanish players are just plain tired.
Most of the Barca squad is also on the Spanish National Team, except for Messi and a few others. That Spanish Nat'l Team has been playing at an elite level for about 5yrs...winning everything (which means a lot of games).
Also, their whole squad is on Barca and Real Madrid...they go deep into their domestic tournaments and the Champions League every year.

That being said (and even though i'm a fan of Dortmund) i think Real has too much quality and will win this home & home...tired players or not.
2 of those goals shouldn't have been allowed IMO, Gomez was offsides and that was quite an illegal pick by Mueller in the box on the 3rd goal, but Bayern certainly dominated the game and that is what happens when Messi isn't a force on the field for Barcelona. I agree that Real M advances past Dortmund and will face Bayern in the Champions League final.

PhantomOnTour
04-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Boy was i wrong...it hasn't even been a contest
4-1 Dortmund so far...all goals by Lewandoski (his 3rd goal was a beauty)

Looks like an all German final at Wembley

Striker
04-24-2013, 05:01 PM
I thought Real M would move on also. Rumor is that Lewandowski and Bayern Munich have agreed to a deal that will bring him to Bayern and follow current teammate Mario Gotze there. Interested to see if this is 100% accurate.

cj's dad
04-24-2013, 08:34 PM
Many calls for both the home sides seemed very questionable to me. Maybe the fix is still in.

Lewandoskis 3rd goal was incredible as was van Percies pick out of the air this past week; what a rocket that was.

horses4courses
04-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Should be an all German affair.....Bayern Munich v Borussia Dortmund.
Match to be played at Wembley, London on May 25th

Winston Churchill will be turning in his grave with that many Germans roaming the streets of London that weekend ;)

cj's dad
04-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Great play by the German keeper; he stopped two early at point blank range.

It wil be an all German final as Barcelona has ZERO CHANCE OF OVERCOMING A 4 GOAL DEFICIT.

DJofSD
04-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Yep, that's a tought margin to overcome. But, they did work the miracle with AC Milan. I'll watch and hope but I won't be surprised if Munich wins and does so in a dominating fashion.

horses4courses
04-30-2013, 09:53 PM
Great play by the German keeper; he stopped two early at point blank range.

It wil be an all German final as Barcelona has ZERO CHANCE OF OVERCOMING A 4 GOAL DEFICIT.

There's always a chance - especially with a team as good as Barcelona.
But I agree, it's pretty close to zero.

Bayern are far too savvy to get hammered by anyone, added to the fact that if they score a goal in Spain,
Barca then must score at least 6 to advance.
Not gonna happen........