PDA

View Full Version : This is too Funny

barn32
02-13-2013, 07:42 AM
Donald Trump Sues Bill Maher for Five Million Dollars! (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-maher/donnie-dorko_b_2653084.html?utm_hp_ref=daily-brief?utm_source=DailyBrief&utm_campaign=021113&utm_medium=email&utm_content=BlogEntry&utm_term=Daily%20Brief)

Greyfox
02-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Maybe Maher will learn to quit flapping his lips so much.
In his supposed parody he did offer Trump money for evidence.
So Trump provides the evidence and now it is time for Maher to pay up.

johnhannibalsmith
02-13-2013, 11:48 AM
I read this a while back that he was planning on suing him and when I read the context and saw the clip, I just figured it was Donald making an ass of himself for attention again.

But, then - I'm wondering if along the way someone didn't get in his ear about getting after Maher. It was certainly reasonable to assume that it was a joke and parody, I'll say, overwhelmingly so.

But, this has been the cover that people perceive Maher as having used politically to make political statements, and then when repeated elsewhere in a news context appears to make a political statement, not a joke. And he seems fine with all that. But, when asked to be held to the same standards as ordinary political commentors, or even average Joes, to defend the statement, "it's a joke, it's parody."

I'm not saying I find it a big deal, but I know that others sure do. The whole Rush can't call Fluke a "slut" or he and all his listeners hate women, but Maher can say easily arguably worse about women as far as mere offensiveness to women without recourse, even when the case is made that fairly well that the nature of political commentary itself between the two broadcasts doesn't truly justify some vast distinction.

I just think they want to argue that. And now that I've read this HuffPo reaction from Maher where he explains a "joke" and "parody", I think someone, somewhere is happy that Maher made that statement. Now we may expect a rebuttal letter laying out some sort of challenge to Maher to basically once and for all decide whether he wants to actually be taken seriously, or if he doesn't.

Maybe I'm giving Trump too much credit and it is just a typical stunt. He's upped the ante with seeing how far he can take things lately though... I wouldn't be surprised if he's just a proxy to really turn to busting Maher's balls completely off the topic of the bet itself and onto Maher's opinion of himself and of his opinions.

Tom
02-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Isn't Maher a parody of a comedian?
Last time I heard him be funny was.......never! :lol:
He and Letterman - stupid is no substitute for talent.

Robert Goren
02-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Trump must feel strange being on the other side of a lawsuit for a change.