PDA

View Full Version : Race-fixing allegations...

thaskalos
02-06-2013, 05:17 PM
I have often said that there is no true journalism in this game...and that the controversial issues go largely unreported. Even if these controversial issues do eventually find themselves in print, they get the gloss-over treatment...all in an effort to protect whatever integrity the game has left -- at the expense of exposing the whole truth.

As an example of what I am talking about...please allow me to submit a recent "story"...which has been "reported" by Bloodhorse.com:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/76077/detroit-man-pleads-guilty-in-race-fixing-case?source=rss

After fact-finding journalism such as this...how can the horseplayer possibly complain that he is left uninformed about the disturbing stories that sometimes plague this game?

cj
02-06-2013, 05:26 PM
The problem in racing is the "press" has a stake in the industry. The press that has no stake in it doesn't care because the public, for the most part, cares even less.

davew
02-06-2013, 05:40 PM
swift hand of justice - Dec 2005 through Dec 2006

DeltaLover
02-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Thaskale,

you are making a great point.

The industry tends to be really esoteric when it come to racing fraud and you will find very few references to it from all the related mainstream media.
Among the very few exceptions among horse racing journalists, who is not afraid to say the truth is the patriarch of American handicapping Andy Beyer.

I still remember with great respect an article he wrote in Washington Post about a horse named This One Is For Phil who as a first time starter for Rick Dutrow managed to improve by tenths of beyer speed points after leaving Kathleen's O Connor stable several months ago. Quite a few of the pros of our industry were quick to condemn trying to make us, the wide public, believe that something like this was quite natural... I would like to know what they have to say today, after Dutrow's ban from racing.. I did not see anyone apologizing so far...

Anyone who has read the history of the game is well aware of the scams that caused its very bad reputation. How many of really know that racing was suspended in most of the States back in 1913 because of a sequence of scums that finally found their way to the public?

I think that the industry is doing a very poor job to protect the integrity of the sport, always taking the side of horsemen who are treated like spoiled kids who just broke the window with their new basket ball....

VeryOldMan
02-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Just did a little Google research because I was wondering about the statute of limitations here - turns out the indictment was issued in May 2009 (!). So we're now getting a plea for an offense that occurred more than 6 years ago and where there was an indictment almost 4 years ago??? Guess it gives you some idea how much priority is given to race fixing allegations :)

Here's the trifecta - food stamp fraud too!

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/09/23/already-indicted-on-point-shaving-charges-man-arrested-for-food-stamp-fraud/

5k-claim
02-06-2013, 06:39 PM
I have often said that there is no true journalism in this game...and that the controversial issues go largely unreported. Even if these controversial issues do eventually find themselves in print, they get the gloss-over treatment...all in an effort to protect whatever integrity the game has left -- at the expense of exposing the whole truth.

As an example of what I am talking about...please allow me to submit a recent "story"...which has been "reported" by Bloodhorse.com:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/76077/detroit-man-pleads-guilty-in-race-fixing-case?source=rss

After fact-finding journalism such as this...how can the horseplayer possibly complain that he is left uninformed about the disturbing stories that sometimes plague this game? The Blood-Horse is owned by the Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association. They are who they are. What do you expect them to do in terms of investigative journalism?

And how much would you be willing to pay for someone to do this?

Track Phantom
02-06-2013, 06:39 PM
I think the reason horse racing journalists decide to not make it a big deal is because, in comparison to what trainers do on a daily basis, the idea that someone "tried" to pay some jockey to stiff a horse, is hardly newsworthy.

Grand larceny goes on daily by these fradulant trainers but hardly a whisper.

usedtolovetvg
02-06-2013, 06:59 PM
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/09/23/already-indicted-on-point-shaving-charges-man-arrested-for-food-stamp-fraud/[/url]

The basketball allegations are talked about in this article but horse racing is so important it wasn't even mentioned.

wisconsin
02-06-2013, 07:10 PM
I am assuming this is what caused Tampa to ban those jocks at the time, with no formal statements since.

Stillriledup
02-06-2013, 07:25 PM
I think the reason horse racing journalists decide to not make it a big deal is because, in comparison to what trainers do on a daily basis, the idea that someone "tried" to pay some jockey to stiff a horse, is hardly newsworthy.

Grand larceny goes on daily by these fradulant trainers but hardly a whisper.

they dont want to lose their free lunches in the DMR press box by 'rocking the boat'.

usedtolovetvg
02-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Everybody just takes care of themselves. The press would rather pal around with the big shots and the rich & famous than expose them. Its the same in politics, every other sport and almost every business. Sadly, it's the way of the world.

thaskalos
02-06-2013, 09:25 PM
The Blood-Horse is owned by the Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association. They are who they are. What do you expect them to do in terms of investigative journalism?

And how much would you be willing to pay for someone to do this?

The business of horse racing is dependent solely on the wagers of its fans for its survival...so, it would seem to me that the integrity of the game would be of paramount importance to those in control of the game. Sadly...such is not the case.

Not only do they lack the willingness to properly deal with the growing drug problem which plagues the sport...but they also conspire -- along with the "press" -- to suppress or underreport controversial issues, which have a detrimental effect on the financial well-being of their customers.

And then they wonder why their customer base is dwindling...and why this game is not being taken seriously by the rest of the wagering public.

horses4courses
02-06-2013, 09:31 PM
The business of horse racing is dependent solely on the wagers of its fans for its survival

Amen to that.
If only the majority of owners, trainers, and racetrack executives would pay heed to those words.

Stillriledup
02-06-2013, 09:47 PM
The business of horse racing is dependent solely on the wagers of its fans for its survival...so, it would seem to me that the integrity of the game would be of paramount importance to those in control of the game. Sadly...such is not the case.

Not only do they lack the willingness to properly deal with the growing drug problem which plagues the sport...but they also conspire -- along with the "press" -- to suppress or underreport controversial issues, which have a detrimental effect on the financial well-being of their customers.

And then they wonder why their customer base is dwindling...and why this game is not being taken seriously by the rest of the wagering public.

Integrity would be of paramount importance except for one thing.....the gatekeepers of this game think that bettors are a bunch of degenerate idiots who don't know one end of a horse from another....they think the bettors are too dumb to know the difference!

cj
02-06-2013, 10:55 PM

Unfortunately, this isn't really true today. A lot of them don't depend on wagers at all, just welfare...i.e. slots.

Tom
02-06-2013, 10:58 PM

Far too often, racing has no clue who their customers are. The bettors are forced to play alongside those who put on the show. It is like having the guy calling the BINGO numbers playing a few cards while he does it.

shouldacoulda
02-06-2013, 11:10 PM
Far too often, racing has no clue who their customers are. The bettors are forced to play alongside those who put on the show. It is like having the guy calling the BINGO numbers playing a few cards while he does it.

Far too often big businesses in general don't care about the customer or their wants. They just squeeze every penny out of the bottom line and when it goes bust the take their golden parachutes and everyone else can go suck an egg. It's an accepted way of doing business these days. I think it stinks and comes under the heading of anti-business. :ThmbDown:The slot welfare will end soon. It's already starting.

lamboguy
02-06-2013, 11:12 PM

And then they wonder why their customer base is dwindling...and why this game is not being taken seriously by the rest of the wagering public.we have something in common, neither one of us can pick a football game to save our lives! if you can understand the gambling business that well, how come the people running the show from the big corporation's can't? if they ran it right, they could make more money from racing than they can from the slot machines, and benefit the states at the same time.

usedtolovetvg
02-06-2013, 11:19 PM
Far too often big businesses in general don't care about the customer or their wants. They just squeeze every penny out of the bottom line and when it goes bust the take their golden parachutes and everyone else can go suck an egg. It's an accepted way of doing business these days. I think it stinks and comes under the heading of anti-business. :ThmbDown:The slot welfare will end soon. It's already starting.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

It's already started in Canada. The industry should be ashamed.

Ray Paulick
02-06-2013, 11:51 PM
There was this story a few years ago at the time of the indictment.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/indictment-valdes-threw-races-bribed-other-jockeys/

thaskalos
02-07-2013, 02:28 AM
There was this story a few years ago at the time of the indictment.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/indictment-valdes-threw-races-bribed-other-jockeys/

Yes...but where is the follow-up story with the details of how this all turned out?

I mean...this was an indictment against the most prominent jockeys at that track. They pinned the blame on one jockey while banning all seven...and not a word of explanation reported on this since 2007.

The only thing I remember reading a couple years ago was something about a civil suit that Derek Bell was threatening to bring against Tampa Bay Downs to regain his riding privileges.

castaway01
02-07-2013, 04:56 AM
Gentlemen, take a look at the latest allegations of hundreds of fixed soccer (football) matches, right up to the highest levels of the game. This is a sport that people around the world live and die over, with much more money/interest on it than horse racing. I don't think people will stop watching or wagering on it now. It's just a sad fact that some people are dishonest and out to make a buck ahead of all else. I wish it was not so, but it's so.

Up to 680 fixed football matches (http://sports.ndtv.com/football/news/item/202997-a-possible-680-soccer-matches-fixed-according-to-an-investigation)

rastajenk
02-07-2013, 06:39 AM
This is some really juicy red meat for this board. :rolleyes: You get it all: low-level scoundrels, a pliant press, and even industry gatekeepers trying their best to ruin the game!

jk3521
02-07-2013, 07:02 AM
Unfortunately, the unusual stories in the news are the ones that involve honesty .

dkithore
02-07-2013, 07:15 AM
Sure it is disturbing to find that racing (basketball, football, bicycling, politics, business, relationships) where people cheat. So, what are we going to do about it?

Our peceived powerlessness is born out of our (wagering public's) addiction to this grand sport. I admit it. I can't give up my codependency. However, I feel optimistic in that there is a process we can follow to bring about some change, I recall some people on this board attempted to do the same. With some success. Emails to the news media, elected reps and so on.

Like to hear some concrete steps we can take. And then follow up on those.

Tom
02-07-2013, 07:35 AM
I think a good rule of thumb - we can call it the Armstrong Rule - in any sport, if there is prize money, there is cheating.

If you are looking for integrity in sports, go to ta pick up game in some vacant lot. Stay away from professional anything.

Racing generates little interest in the big picture, so who is going to bother writing about it but those with a vested interest?

precocity
02-07-2013, 07:53 AM
I think a good rule of thumb - we can call it the Armstrong Rule - in any sport, if there is prize money, there is cheating.

If you are looking for integrity in sports, go to ta pick up game in some vacant lot. Stay away from professional anything.

Racing generates little interest in the big picture, so who is going to bother writing about it but those with a vested interest?

Very true TOM really the only interest that I see now for horse racing is the KY derby and just a little on breeders cup and they only show the last race on prime time now? and the press headlines are all about cheats and drugged up horses on the track. SO if there is money and championships and titles on a professional level there is always gong to be cheating.

lamboguy
02-07-2013, 08:33 AM
Sure it is disturbing to find that racing (basketball, football, bicycling, politics, business, relationships) where people cheat. So, what are we going to do about it?

Our peceived powerlessness is born out of our (wagering public's) addiction to this grand sport. I admit it. I can't give up my codependency. However, I feel optimistic in that there is a process we can follow to bring about some change, I recall some people on this board attempted to do the same. With some success. Emails to the news media, elected reps and so on.

Like to hear some concrete steps we can take. And then follow up on those.wouldn't it be nice if horse racing took the lead by cleaning up its sport instead of being just like every other walk of life. the advantage that horse racing has is that the athletes are not human and do not move their lips like humans do. years ago people loved that. now that humans decided to alter the natural course of things, horse racing got ruined.

to clean up horse racing is pretty simple and could make for a great example for other sports and other forms of life.

usedtolovetvg
02-07-2013, 09:10 AM
It has always been amazing to me that the scum rises to the top. It would seem to me it would be a fairly simple procedure to clean up any sport or business. The crooks are driven by their greed and their desire for power. They want it more. They surround themselves with people they can control. This goes very deep. Unfortunately, the media are the worst offenders. They too are looking for fame and acceptance. They prefer to hobnob with the rich and famous rather than expose their misdeeds. They would rather be on the Round Table or :58 Flat than take a hard look at why the company has failed to deliver on its promises to the sport. Everyone is out for themselves. The sad thing is that the whistleblowers and those that try to do the right thing are ostracized by society and lose their jobs.

Nothing has really changed over the years. It was the same in the 1930s. One of my favorite movies is 'Mr Smith goes to Washington'. It is the exact same today, without the happy ending.

andicap
02-07-2013, 09:29 AM
The problem in racing is the "press" has a stake in the industry. The press that has no stake in it doesn't care because the public, for the most part, cares even less.

As a former journalist who dabbled a bit in the racing press -- I wrote some stories on a free-lance basis for the Blood-Horse back in the 90s on racing and television -- let me offer my two cents. I spent some time in the press box, not covering on a daily basis, but at special events so I've seen a little of it up close.

1. Andy Beyer is not a journalist. He is a columnist. There is a big difference. He doesn't make phone calls, comb over documents, etc. He writes his opinions. This is true of other racing "journalists" as well.

2. Most members of the racing press were not really trained as journalists. If they were, they were brought in as sports writers. There' a reason news reporters call sports, "The Toy Department." The racing beat was sometimes either a demotion or the last ride on the way to retirement. (Joe Durso at the NY Times was a prime example.).

Many racing "journalists" are really glorified horse players who can actually string two sentences together, not reporters in the traditional sense. They are very happy to be paid to go to the track and could probably not do much else at their newspapers except maybe cover high school sports.
OR they act like many sports writers at local papers who maintain a very cozy relationship with their teams in order to maintain access, etc.

3. Observations that racing "reporters" don't want to rock the boat are spot on. They are also very lazy. I recall when David Gruening joined the NY Post and people were shocked that he actually went down to the backstretch and paddock to get quotes rather than use the ones the track PR dept's hand out in the press box. It's a comfy job, there's a lot of freebies (free parking and admission, Racing form, food., etc.), a great view of the track, a mutual machine right in the press box.

Let me tell you: The freebies are intoxicating. I had a press pass from the Blood-Horse for a few years and it was great! Access everywhere, free preferred parking, admission, press box. Most writers don't want to jeopardize these perks despite (or because of) the lousy pay.

4. No newspapers editors ever push racing writers to do more "investigative work." They file their daily reports, covered the Triple Crown and that is all that is expected of them. And they are paid as such.
The money is not good. So the work is not good.

5. Racing writers are usually the most cynical, jaded people at the newspaper and at the track. They know the sport is f'ed up, that many of participants are sleazy and that the tracks don't give a hoot about their customers. But they've been at it a long time so they just shrug their shoulders and say, "That's way it's always been. That's the way it will always be. You can't change it."

In other words, they ain't Woodward and Bernstein.

usedtolovetvg
02-07-2013, 09:35 AM
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

You nailed it.

bob60566
02-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Yes...but where is the follow-up story with the details of how this all turned out?

I mean...this was an indictment against the most prominent jockeys at that track. They pinned the blame on one jockey while banning all seven...and not a word of explanation reported on this since 2007.

The only thing I remember reading a couple years ago was something about a civil suit that Derek Bell was threatening to bring against Tampa Bay Downs to regain his riding privileges.

Maybe this is why racing can not in its present form clean the sport up, the lawyers would have field day over the next decade.
There is no chance it can reform in its present state.

usedtolovetvg
02-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Of course, it has to be mentioned that the major source of income for the racing papers and reports is the industry itself. Knock the players and you lose your advertising $$$$. This would be biting the hand that feeds you. No one within the industry has the guts, resolve and resources to do this. And, no one outside the industry gives a s***.

cj
02-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Of course, it has to be mentioned that the major source of income for the racing papers and reports is the industry itself. Knock the players and you lose your advertising $$$$. This would be biting the hand that feeds you. No one within the industry has the guts, resolve and resources to do this. And, no one outside the industry gives a s***.

I believe I said that in the first reply to the original post.

usedtolovetvg
02-07-2013, 10:03 AM
I believe I said that in the first reply to the original post.

It was so good, I figured this was a good time to reinforce it.

andicap
02-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Just for clarification, I was referring mainly to the mainstream daily press, not the industry papers like the DRF, Blood-Horse, etc. Few "trade" publications are willing to criticize the industry they report on -- and get advertising from -- so racing is far from alone in this regard. I lost a couple of potential jobs when I told prospective publishers that I would "call 'em as I saw 'em."

So anyone expecting the DRF, B-H, etc to criticize, let alone investigate the sport, is acting very naive. Actually, the DRF is sort of a hybrid -- part trade, part consumer paper -- so its role is more complicated. The DRF actually criticizes the business it covers more than most trade papers; this wasn't true in the old days when Triangle Publications was in charge, but its journalism has improved somewhat under Crist. Just don't expect the DRF to really "investigate" the sport or get too deep into its shortcomings since it relies on racing for its advertising.

As an aside, the trade paper I ran -- on cable TV -- actually did dare to write negative articles and pursue stories that were not favorable to the industry. On more than one occasion, we were lambasted by industry execs who said our role was to support -- i.e., act as cheerleader -- not criticize.
Fortunately, we were very profitable and our publisher could afford to retain our independence to a certain degree.

These are the same pressures the racing trade press faces.

Ray Paulick
02-07-2013, 10:40 AM
There is no resolution yet. A trial has not occurred (it is scheduled for March 12 in Detroit, although according to DRF Ricardo Valdes has left the country; the court did give him permission to visit his mother in Panama some ago).

The "they" you refer to are multiple parties. The indictment by the U.S. attorney was against one jockey only, Ricardo Valdes, and no other jockeys were mentioned by name in the indictment. Prosecutors have not released any other information relative to the alleged race-fixing and would not comment on the case.

Tampa Bay Downs banned the seven jockeys, using their private property rights, and Delaware Park also excluded a number of jockeys after an internal investigation. I would imagine racing commissions in those states are waiting for further evidence in a trial before taking action.

If you'd like to read the indictment, here it is. It does mention a couple of specific races: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5p_BPPAIdfeeDJCRnhHbzd3QlU/edit?usp=sharing

5k-claim
02-07-2013, 01:18 PM

And then they wonder why their customer base is dwindling...and why this game is not being taken seriously by the rest of the wagering public. Nice speech, thaskalos.

Do you manually copy and paste this text every time you make the same speech (ad nauseam) or do you have a macro that automatically inserts it into your comments for you? Care to actually answer either question that I asked?

feelup1963
02-07-2013, 01:56 PM
WHAT EVER HAPPEN TO THE JOCKEY RICHARDO VALDEZ? WAS HE ARRESTED? :bang:

thaskalos
02-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Nice speech, thaskalos.

Do you manually copy and paste this text every time you make the same speech (ad nauseam) or do you have a macro that automatically inserts it into your comments for you? Care to actually answer either question that I asked?

Do I make this speech any more often that you make your own self-serving remarks?

What questions of yours do you want me to answer?

So what if Bloodhorse is owned by the owners and breeders? Does that mean that they should be publishing lame articles like the one I provided in my post...where they give more print to the sports-betting side of the story -- while practically ignoring the jockey-fixing side of it.

You ask me how much I would be prepared to pay for "investigative journalism"...

Is that a legitimate question?

The horseplayer already pays as much as 30% out of every dollar...should he be expected to pay more?

mountainman
02-08-2013, 12:21 PM
1970's-style conspiracies are probably rare, but some connections set horses up for a price. When jockies own horses behind the scenes, the potential for larceny is particularly disturbing. It's a nationwide issue that larger tracks aren't at all exempt from. At least in my opinion.

5k-claim
02-08-2013, 02:10 PM
You ask me how much I would be prepared to pay for "investigative journalism"...

Is that a legitimate question?

The horseplayer already pays as much as 30% out of every dollar...should he be expected to pay more? Wow. That is silly logic. Even for the internet.

Point A: The product you want
Point B: The delivery of that product to you

Apparently there is no one currently giving you the product that you want. That's fine. It means no one has ever sat down and done a business plan and decided it was financially worth it.

So yes, thaskalos, my question was "legitimate". I was just asking what you (and others) might be willing to pay (perhaps by subscription) so that someone with a business plan could say, "Yeah. That's not bad money. I think I will try to provide that product in exchange for that money."

I was just trying to figure out how to get you from 'Point A' to 'Point B'.

What is your idea?

castaway01
02-08-2013, 05:37 PM
1970's-style conspiracies are probably rare, but some connections set horses up for a price. When jockies own horses behind the scenes, the potential for larceny is particularly disturbing. It's a nationwide issue that larger tracks aren't at all exempt from. At least in my opinion.

I found this interesting...how often does the jockey secretly own a horse? If you said "trainer", then maybe, but I wasn't under the impression jockeys were out secretly buying horses. I'm not trying to be funny, I legitimately have never heard of such a controversy. You probably can't talk about it, but strange...

bob60566
02-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Mark
That is new one :ThmbUp:

bob60566
02-08-2013, 05:49 PM
At Mountineer there is jock and trainers in the same family.

mountainman
02-08-2013, 06:55 PM
I found this interesting...how often does the jockey secretly own a horse? If you said "trainer", then maybe, but I wasn't under the impression jockeys were out secretly buying horses. I'm not trying to be funny, I legitimately have never heard of such a controversy. You probably can't talk about it, but strange...

I wasn't talking specifically abt mnr. There are other tracks at which the problem is probably worse. Look. Jocks have money, inhabit the backside, interact with trainers, and consider themselves in a unique position to assess a horse's ability. You connect the dots.

lamboguy
02-08-2013, 08:31 PM
i forgot his name, but here is a guy that train's rides and owns his own horses in Deleware.

Kendrick Caramouche has been accused of hidden ownership of horses without hard evidence 3 years ago in Philly Park. when i have horses that run at Parx these days i only let 3 guys come anywhere near my horses. in that place you need to be on guard at all times. its a tough place when you are sitting 400 miles away.

castaway01
02-09-2013, 10:40 AM
I wasn't talking specifically abt mnr. There are other tracks at which the problem is probably worse. Look. Jocks have money, inhabit the backside, interact with trainers, and consider themselves in a unique position to assess a horse's ability. You connect the dots.

When I think about jockeys who "have money", I have to admit I only think about some of the top riders, not your journeyman who makes $60,000 a year looking to invest $25K in buying a horse. Hence my question to you. No matter though. Thanks.

affirmedny
02-09-2013, 11:55 AM
i forgot his name, but here is a guy that train's rides and owns his own horses in Deleware.

Kendrick Caramouche has been accused of hidden ownership of horses without hard evidence 3 years ago in Philly Park. when i have horses that run at Parx these days i only let 3 guys come anywhere near my horses. in that place you need to be on guard at all times. its a tough place when you are sitting 400 miles away.

clyde w martin is the owner/trainer/jockey

mountainman
02-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Decades ago when i patrolled the barn area as an entry clerk, i nearly lost my job for taking entries from jocks. Mainly guys romantically involved with the female trainers of record, but who were obviously calling the shots. I had a lot to learn about how things work, and got a needed lesson in looking out for myself.

pondman
02-13-2013, 01:38 PM
At Mountineer there is jock and trainers in the same family.

Mountaineer = pass the hat around so I can have my lights turned back on. It's deep. The only people who should play there are people on the grounds, walking through the kitchen and barns everyday. You'd never play there again, once you see what truely goes on...You'd learn the top 10 ways to stiff a horse. You ride a win against same trainers and you are finished. You won't get morning work, which means you won't have food.