PDA

View Full Version : relive your winning streaks here

Capper Al
02-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Tell us about one of your winning streaks. How long did it go? Did you cash out? How were you playing it? Do you use of it in your handicapping today? Did you think for a moment that you might have had the game beaten?

For me, favorites and middle value horses have domainated for over 30 races in a row. This killed my longshot system for awhile and is forcing me to rethink my game.

DeltaLover
02-04-2013, 04:46 PM
Tell us about one of your winning streaks. How long did it go? Did you cash out? How were you playing it? Do you use of it in your handicapping today? Did you think for a moment that you might have had the game beaten?

For me, favorites and middle value horses have domainated for over 30 races in a row. This killed my longshot system for awhile and is forcing me to rethink my game.

All I can tell is that my loosing are far longer the (very few) winning streaks.

I very rarely have more than two wins in the row.. Of course I can recall all the times this happened for the last three years by memory alone.. I do not need to consult my records at all!

CincyHorseplayer
02-04-2013, 10:19 PM
My best consecutive win streak was 5 in a row at Beulah Park in 2001,October 18-19.There was no bias and no huge single race banger but the odds were up there.There was only one nonclaiming race in the bunch.Making 1 $10 win bet and 4,$20 win bets at odds of 4-1,8-1,16-1,9-1,and 15-1 I made 1019.00 dollars.I made another thousand off exactas paying 68.80,155.40,and 114.60.Staying in the $10-20 bet range I made $3042.00 over 14 days.I thought I was "Mr" Horseplayer after that!I played and won enough to get me through the winter paying bills.It was the first year I kept records and it was greatly reinforcing.For you guys making $100-200 bets multiply that 3 G's by 150!Looks a little different?!!

Good thread Al.

thaskalos
02-05-2013, 01:46 AM
About 30 years ago, I wagered $40 to win on a horse by the name of Raise The Ground, at Arlington. The horse paid $11.00...and I collected $220. I parlayed the entire amount on a horse by the name of Ms Flora...who was running two races later, and was ridden by Earlie Fires. The horse won wire-to-wire -- never leading by less than 5 lengths -- returning $12...and I now had $1,320 in my hand.

After much deliberation, I elected to wager $1,200 to win on the day's last race...on a grass horse by the name of Ole Pete, who went off at odds of 7-2. When the horse came from behind to win by a length and a half, I went to the window and collected $5,400...promising myself in the process that I wouldn't "work" another day in my life. "A man who knows how to play does not need to work"...I reminded myself.

Driving home that day in my Oldsmobile Toronado, I stopped to pay the toll on the express way...and saw the man who was collecting the tolls, enclosed in that tiny cubicle -- with only his transistor radio to break the monotony of his meager existence. I handed the startled man $50 and told him to keep the change...secure in the knowledge that I would never again have to deal with the inhumanity of regular employment.

It was the most inaccurate thought since General Custer...who reportedly told his men..."I think that over that hill, there are friendly Indians..."

Ahhh...the ignorance of youth...

redshift1
02-05-2013, 03:05 AM
When I bet the harness races 4 or 5 wins in a row. Thoroughbred no more than 4. What I remember the best was a two week losing streak where I had 3 or 4 horses DQ'ed from first under the lights at Hollywood Park Harness.

Ray2000
02-05-2013, 06:34 AM
1989 The Meadows, 13 Race Show Bet parlay, turned $5 into $285

Two Minute Club, Al (the teller) could verify.

BTW this can be a fun bet for a dinner party in the Clubhouse. Everyone kicks in $5 to start and the race pick passes around table. One rule, Entire Pool must bet every race. Watch the arguments begin if the pool grows large enough to cover dinner.... :)

Maximillion
02-05-2013, 09:17 AM
About 30 years ago, I wagered $40 to win on a horse by the name of Raise The Ground, at Arlington. The horse paid $11.00...and I collected $220. I parlayed the entire amount on a horse by the name of Ms Flora...who was running two races later, and was ridden by Earlie Fires. The horse won wire-to-wire -- never leading by less than 5 lengths -- returning $12...and I now had $1,320 in my hand.

After much deliberation, I elected to wager $1,200 to win on the day's last race...on a grass horse by the name of Ole Pete, who went off at odds of 7-2. When the horse came from behind to win by a length and a half, I went to the window and collected $5,400...promising myself in the process that I wouldn't "work" another day in my life. "A man who knows how to play does not need to work"...I reminded myself.

Driving home that day in my Oldsmobile Toronado, I stopped to pay the toll on the express way...and saw the man who was collecting the tolls, enclosed in that tiny cubicle -- with only his transistor radio to break the monotony of his meager existence. I handed the startled man $50 and told him to keep the change...secure in the knowledge that I would never again have to deal with the inhumanity of regular employment.

It was the most inaccurate thought since General Custer...who reportedly told his men..."I think that over that hill, there are friendly Indians..."

Cool story.

I had the same car at one time,but the Buick (rusty) version.I think the stereo inside was worth more than the car.

shouldacoulda
02-05-2013, 11:50 AM
What's a winning streak? :lol:

BlueShoe
02-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Tell us about one of your winning streaks.
All one of them?? :rolleyes: :D

Capper Al
02-05-2013, 02:15 PM
All one of them?? :rolleyes: :D

Whatever ones that you want to.

CincyHorseplayer
02-05-2013, 03:18 PM
River Downs May 1996.I had my 6 year old daughter with me on a Friday,had her for the weekend but was broke.I had a roll of quarters and a dollar to my name,$11 total,my first summer discovering the racetrack.I bet $4 ex box on a horse named Tropical Ice with a speed horse who had run 3 races on off tracks but had a huge figure on his last dry track.They ran 1-2 down the lane,the exacta paid $100 so I was up $192.Last race of the day simulcast from Thistledown,I like Beat The Press with 3 other horses and played $4 exacta boxes with them.The exacta with one of the longer shots paid $175.00 and I was up $518.00.The real kicker was I played a $1 superfecta with 4 horses boxed under my key horse.The teller punched the ticket in straight.The $1 ticket with my horses boxed would have paid $3042!But still I took a roll of quarters and turned it into half a grand.I took my daughter and grandma out to dinner that night.She didn't like that I bet,so I took her out to eat everytime I won.It got her blessing after a while!

Capper Al
02-05-2013, 04:25 PM
After interviewing Randy Giles, I made a formula out of his methods, Giles' pace (I call mine xPace.) I won 13 straight weekends. I had thought, like Dave with New Pace, that I had found the Holy Grail. All of a sudden, it stop winning. Tweaking the formula didn't help. I'm now back to the orginal formula taking my licks. It was fun while it lasted.

Greyfox
02-05-2013, 04:29 PM

I think General Custer said to his men : "Take no prisoners." ;)

BlueShoe
02-05-2013, 05:36 PM
I think General Custer said to his men : "Take no prisoners." ;)
Okay, because it is a dull Tuesday with not much to do, lets nitpick a bit. At the Little Bighorn his rank was Lt. Colonel, not General. He was a brevet (temporary) Major General during the Civil War. After the war he reverted to his permanent rank of Captain, eventually rising to Lt. Colonel at the time of his death. History update over for the day. :)

Enigma
02-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Please give me break on this stupid thread, once more an opening for Capper to
give himself a pat on the back. Oh! by the way in 1998 I bet all 8 winners at Hawthorne. Yeh! and pigs can fly.

shouldacoulda
02-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Seriously, my best day was first 5 in a row out of 6 on a $2.00 pick six ticket for $8.00 at Belmont a few years ago. Had I went for a double in the last race instead of a single, it would have been a $13,000 pay off. I got a little over a hundred that I redistributed the next weekend to my fellow paramutal bettors. I've had 8 out of 9 in the place nine at Hawthorne a few times but have yet to connect.

DeltaLover
02-05-2013, 09:55 PM
Seriously, my best day was first 5 in a row out of 6 on a $2.00 pick six ticket for $8.00 at Belmont a few years ago. Had I went for a double in the last race instead of a single, it would have been a $13,000 pay off. I got a little over a hundred that I redistributed the next weekend to my fellow paramutal bettors. I've had 8 out of 9 in the place nine at Hawthorne a few times but have yet to connect.

Funny.. I gues all of us we have a similar story... The following is an exact extract of my gambling notes:

FRI MAY 2 2008

Getting There

Wensday's Hollywood Park's card, was one of the most difficult I 've ever seen, containg fields with 10 - 13 horses, starting with a race for 2 year olds that only one of them had run before.

I study the card really hard, since the pick 6 had a carry over of more than $500,000 from last Sunday.

I managed to catch five, lossing my only single which was Coast Guard.

My P6 system cost me $448 (224 combinations) and my basic substem that consisted of only two combinations hit 3 out of five (having Coast Guard as a single for the sixth horse).

Yesterday Thursday, I missed the P4 in Belmont ($1,500) again by one horse, which was last race's favor.

Today I missed the P4 ($1,500) in Belmond again by the last horse...

castaway01
02-06-2013, 09:10 AM
I remember when I very new to the game, still in college, I hit the trifecta 5 races in a row at then-Philadelphia Park. My newbie betting style was $1 trifectas, so a typical bet in this streak might be a horse on top, three horses in the place slot, and most of the field in 3rd. So I might bet $24, get back $140; bet $18, get back $70. Didn't hit anything huge. I think the biggest payoff was no more than $200 for $1. Of course I was also playing a track where the trifecta takeout is, what, 90% or whatever. I had no idea about that stuff or how to bet wisely back then---it was just a good, fun day. I guess if I had fewer of those I wouldn't still be wagering now.

More recently, in March 2009 I had a 75% profit on my wagers over the course of the month (1.75 ROI, hopefully I'm saying that right). It was all win bets, spot plays, several different tracks (Tampa was my best). I'd see a horse I liked, bet (from my records looks like my average win bet was about $150 that month, which is double my usual but obviously the bankroll was on the rise), boom, easy win. My methods were working and I was on fire. Sadly, the next month I lost more than I won, and the following month was worse. After that, I was back to my usual "average player" status.

Capper Al
02-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Please give me break on this stupid thread, once more an opening for Capper to
give himself a pat on the back. Oh! by the way in 1998 I bet all 8 winners at Hawthorne. Yeh! and pigs can fly.

Read elsewhere. There was no need for you to comment. If you ever had a winning streak, you might enjoy this thread. Winning streaks aren't difficult. Staying profitable over the long run is.

NJ Stinks
02-16-2013, 03:31 AM
The Friday night before my first marriage was interesting in a sick sort of way. ;) The plan was to go out drinking with my brother (the best man) while my fiancé went out with her girlfriends. At the wedding rehearsal that night my brother tells me he feels ill and thinks he’s better off just going home rather than risk being even worse on my wedding day. I say no problem. I tell my fiancé about my brother and next thing I know her brother is asking me to go out with him. Since I never really liked the guy, I made an excuse and went home. 15 minutes later I’m leaving my apartment in Kearny (near Newark) heading for Roosevelt Raceway. (Not the easiest ride on a good day.) I get there with about $50 in my pocket and the nagging feeling that I probably could use this $50 when we go on our honeymoon on Sunday.

I caught the last 5 races on the card and hit 4 of them. Total haul was about $450 which was pretty good money in 1976.

My luck ran out the next day. :)

WP1981
02-20-2013, 09:45 PM
In 2006 I made a strategy for playing 5-10 different single pick all tickets at Hollywood park. Each single consisted of best speed, ep, late pace..etc etc. The second day I went 8 of 8 on ep (I believe that was the winner) on a day where the chalk only finished second once. I figured $300ish as I had never come close to hitting one and it came back at $4200 with three winning tickets. Both the other tickets had the chalk in the last leg who finished a nose from 3rd. Was epic but could have rivaled the P6 had I scooped the pool.

I hit it again twice within the month the same way for around 6-700 each. I didn't hit it again for a month straight and lost interest. Haven't played them since.

Should I double this post in the "dumbest" decisions thread? Lol

pondman
02-21-2013, 10:12 AM
It was in the rain, 10 days of slop, so heavy the riders were going through their shields...I thought I had maidens cornered at SA. I hadn't done a seasonality study yet. I also didn't know much about the high end barns, or how they break maidens. I took heavy losses that February, and it didn't stop until the end of the meet, because my thoughts on Jan-Feb don't carry over into the spring. Got heavy into my living expenses, and money I didn't have. Made me step back from the game and take a look.