PDA

View Full Version : Verrazano

redshift1
02-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Verrazano, wow that was impressive @ GP 134.4. Maybe the FOY next.

Producer
02-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Powerful performance, strong stretch run, great gallop out. Looks like the new derby favorite to me.

Beachbabe
02-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Verrazano, wow that was impressive @ GP 134.4. Maybe the FOY next.

According to Pletcher, the FOY comes too quick to consider as a viable option.

onefast99
02-03-2013, 10:47 AM
How many times has Pletcher said that about a top horse and it ends up in the race he supposedly wasn't going to go into!

cj
02-03-2013, 11:47 AM

Given his history of keeping horses together, the Derby probably comes up too quick.

Cholly
02-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Given his history of keeping horses together, the Derby probably comes up too quick.

Quote of the year!

classhandicapper
02-03-2013, 12:25 PM

I agree. This looks like another horse he has wound up too much too quickly. I keep hoping I'm wrong, but he rarely disappoints.

mostpost
02-03-2013, 02:49 PM
VERRAZANO; even if someone NARROWS the margin, they may not be able to BRIDGE the gap

redshift1
02-03-2013, 03:58 PM
The possibility will be explored.

Valuist
02-03-2013, 03:58 PM
I think the logical spot for Verrazano would be the Brooklyn Handicap.

johnhannibalsmith
02-03-2013, 04:15 PM

:lol:

Ji-cT58rgNc

Producer
02-03-2013, 07:17 PM
CJ, any idea what the figs are?

BIG49010
02-03-2013, 09:02 PM
I wouldn't say he's cranked up, he does it with very little effort, but like you say he's got to keep him together for a couple more races.

His races so far put towards the top of the ladder by my figs.

pele polo
02-03-2013, 10:14 PM
This horse will never win at a mile and a quarter. Not to mention, Pletcher is one of the best trainers between the months of July and April... mostly two year olds.

Rise Over Run
02-03-2013, 11:12 PM
The possibility will be explored.
Very funny. Well done.

Valuist
02-04-2013, 08:36 AM

No doubt about that. And it seems that in general, a lot of horses who run big figs at GP either struggle to run those figs at other tracks, or their careers don't last very long. And its more than Pletcher runners. Big Brown, Eskendereya, Barbaro, Quality Road, Scat Daddy, High Fly. And while Bellamy Road's giant fig was in the Wood, he started his 3 YO season with a blowout win over the reconfigured GP track.

classhandicapper
02-04-2013, 09:52 AM
No doubt about that. And it seems that in general, a lot of horses who run big figs at GP either struggle to run those figs at other tracks, or their careers don't last very long. And its more than Pletcher runners. Big Brown, Eskendereya, Barbaro, Quality Road, Scat Daddy, High Fly. And while Bellamy Road's giant fig was in the Wood, he started his 3 YO season with a blowout win over the reconfigured GP track.

My view is that at least part of the problem is that some of these horses are being worked very hard in the morning and peak too soon as a result (that's probably the case with Pletcher). Then when May comes along, they are already hurt or on the downside as the more conservatively handled horses are just hitting their best stride.

Valuist
02-04-2013, 10:09 AM
How about the performance of Revolutionary? Tons of trouble; stopping and starting, moving between horses and brilliant acceleration when Castellano finally asked him. His figure may be lengths behind Verrazano, but he looks more like a Derby horse than Verrazano.

redshift1
02-04-2013, 12:57 PM
To many syllables for Rev·o·lu·tion·ar·y, Ver·ra·za·no sounds more like a derby horse.

magwell
02-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Revolutionary...Shanghai Bobby..,Violence....Verrazano......Todd has the bases loaded.......:cool:

Beachbabe
02-04-2013, 06:43 PM
My view is that at least part of the problem is that some of these horses are being worked very hard in the morning and peak too soon as a result (that's probably the case with Pletcher). Then when May comes along, they are already hurt or on the downside as the more conservatively handled horses are just hitting their best stride.

They sure race on a conservative schedule, compared to yesteryear. So now, they work the horses more & race them less. This sounds great for Racing's future. :rolleyes:

ten2oneormore
02-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Revolutionary...Shanghai Bobby..,Violence....Verrazano......Todd has the bases loaded.......:cool:

Kind of like that every year nowadays.

2012---Algorithms...ElPadrino...Discreet Dancer...Gemologist

Speaking of Discreet Dancer he makes his first start since the Fountain Of Youth Wednesday at GP in the 2nd .

Here are Pletcher's that made the gate

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/horse-racing/2012-kentucky-derby/preview/pletcher.html