PDA

View Full Version : SLEW'S FAST HORSES FOR SAT. 02/02

MeSlew
02-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Hello All! A pretty big day of racing for Saturday, February 2, 2013 and one with Derby implications, as well as the determining factor in the length of the winter. Odds for that one? Check Vegas.

Tampa, Santa Anita and Aqueduct all get into the act with races that offer Derby 'points". It is truly unfortunate that the best California can do is a 4 horse field in the Robert B. Lewis. With half the field supplied by one barn! And don't forget about the Toboggan Handicap, which precedes the Withers. Some very nice horses have won that race including Bold Ruler, Holy Bull's daddy Great Above and my favorite, Peeping Tom.

However, to the point we go. Slew's list for tomorrow is a very full one, with the following tracks and races on tap:

Aqueduct - 3,4,8,9
Gulfstream - 1,3,4,7,9,10,11
Santa Anita - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10
Tampa - 5,7,9,12
Fairgrounds - 6,8,9
Parx - 7
Oaklawn - 9

Our focus is however, on three KEY horses. They are:

Revolutionary - Aqu ( 9) SAR 09/03/12 # 6
Wave Theory - TAM ( 7) SAR 08/25/12 # 6
Majestic Harbor - FG ( 8) CD 11/22/12 # 4

Of course, Revolutionary was my horse to watch coming out of the Saratoga meet. Well, not MY horse, but allot of peoples horse. Including the odds maker for Aqueduct who has installed him as the 3-5 ML favorite off his huge maiden win. The hope is that his starting woes are behind him and with a clean break and clean trip, he can move forward off of his 102 speed fig. Very tough to do for any horse, let alone a young one. My original notes on this one follow:

"From the Saratoga meet, my horse to watch is Revolutionary. A colt by War Pass out of the A.P. Indy mare Runup The Colors, he runs for Todd Pletcher and
Winstar Farms. War pass stands for $15,000 but this colt sold for $235,000 and looked the part in his first start. The chart says he was "clobbered at the
start and forced hard into MONSIGNOR then checked..." and spotted the field six or seven lengths at the start...as the favorite. No question his price will
be short but this horse looks to be a runner, and we are looking towards the future and not just the next race. I have already marked him in my notebook,
and he will be a Slew key horse down the road."

Wave Theory was another horse I liked off that 8/25 maiden race at Saratoga. A runner-up by a neck to Summer of Fun with the show horse Flashy Gal coming back to win her maiden next out, the breaker for this one was at Aqueduct as odds-on after an awkward start. A good 2nd in the Ginger Brew on new years Day at Gulfstream Park looks to have her set up nicely to contest the Florida Oaks G3 at Tampa. Of course, the fly in her ointment will most likely be Bill Mott, Joel Rosario and Tapicat. Hey...nuthin's e-z in this life. She better get used to it.

Majestic Harbor has fared well at the allowance level while not having his best days in stakes and handicaps. He was thrown to the wolves after his maiden win in the Louisiana Derby in March of 2011 and was on the bench for 11 months after that one. Since then, the allowance ranks have been friendly and this is where he lands. His Churchill runs were just fine which is why he is listed here. I do not have the Fairgrounds PP's nor will I look at this race so you are on your own with this one.

You are then, cordially invited to grab the Slew file which is on the website at this very moment. A large listing, especially at Santa Anita where the track is fast much of the time.

Just click the link below to get there, courtesy of Sir Timothy John "Tim" Berners-Lee, the real inventor of the World Wide Web.

And of course...Slew!

So enjoy the Saturday racing, and as always...good luck and good 'capping!