PDA

View Full Version : A Sign of a Market Top

badcompany
01-31-2013, 08:08 AM
I've noticed that Wharton Prof Jeremy Siegel has been making the rounds on Biz TV. When this freak starts pimping stocks, look out below.

Here's his 2008 Economic Outlook. Goerge Costanza could've done better:

Economic Growth
But the impact of the crisis on the psychology of consumers and business will leave their mark. I predict that GDP will slow in the first half of next year to between 1% and 2%, and rise in the second half, as risk premiums come down and the cost of capital falls. Overall I expect 1.5% to 2.5% GDP growth in 2008 and I believe the economy will avoid a recession.

Stocks and Bonds
I think the stock market will have another winning year in 2008. For every percentage point that stock returns fall below 8% (my prediction) this year, they should exceed 8% next year (meaning, for example, if stocks gain 6% this year, they should finish 2008 up 10%).
And I believe that financial stocks, which have plummeted 18% so far this year, will outperform the S&P 500 Index next year as the credit crisis fades.

Interest Rates
What does all this mean for interest rates? The Fed cut the Fed funds rate to 4.25% on December 11, but it will have to do more in the coming months. I believe that the Fed will get rates down to 3.5%, before ratcheting them upward in the second half of next year.

Treasuries did well in 2007, as interest rates on top-rated securities plunged in light of the credit crisis. But as the risk spreads narrow, money will flow away from government bonds and their interest rates will rise. I recommend investors cash in governments and top rated corporate bonds now – you got a nice ride that you won’t get next year.

rastajenk
01-31-2013, 08:14 AM
Sounds like he'd be a good fit for TVG.

sandpit
01-31-2013, 09:12 PM
It's ironic/coincidental that this thread came up just now. My wife has about $8,000 worth of company stock that was given to her over her career; the last gift was about 5 years ago. The stock is up to around $100, high as it's been in a long time, and she said just today that she wouldn't mind selling it.

My question for all the financial types out there is how much of a tax hit are we going to take? And is there any way to best reduce the taxes we'll have to pay.

Thanks in advance.

badcompany
01-31-2013, 09:23 PM
It's ironic/coincidental that this thread came up just now. My wife has about $8,000 worth of company stock that was given to her over her career; the last gift was about 5 years ago. The stock is up to around $100, high as it's been in a long time, and she said just today that she wouldn't mind selling it.

My question for all the financial types out there is how much of a tax hit are we going to take? And is there any way to best reduce the taxes we'll have to pay.

Thanks in advance.

I'm guessing the price of the stock is higher than when she received it. If so, you'll have to pay Capital Gains tax on the profit, 15%, or 20% if she makes over 400K a year. No way around it.

badcompany
01-31-2013, 09:41 PM
Let me retract part of that first post. If the stock was given as compensation and not part of a purchase plan, you'll have to pay cap gains on the whole amount, not just the profit.

sandpit
02-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Let me retract part of that first post. If the stock was given as compensation and not part of a purchase plan, you'll have to pay cap gains on the whole amount, not just the profit.

She paid zero for it, it was in lieu of giving her a check from their profit-sharing plan.

lamboguy
02-01-2013, 07:01 PM
we might be hitting a tripple top here with the Dow. if the market does not consolidate soon, there might be a big crash down the road sometime. there is no such thing as anything going straight up that stays up. on a time frame basis, i would say that there will have to be a hit on the market by the end of june this year.

i do a type of cycle work on the market. anyway my work was calling for a major run up in gold until june. since i have been proven wrong, i think that means that i have the cycle completely backwards or inverted. a june top in the s+p makes a ton of sense right now

Valuist
02-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Thanks to all the QE, its almost impossible to call a market top. All logic has been thrown out the window. Just have to follow the charts.