PDA

View Full Version : NCAA athletes can legally pursue TV money

RXB
01-30-2013, 12:30 AM
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/8895337/judge-rules-ncaa-athletes-legally-pursue-television-money

onefast99
01-30-2013, 03:44 PM
The NCAA has too much power and until this lawsuit came to light that power has never been challenged. Players should be paid for their names or likenesses being used by the NCAA as the member schools along with the NCAA have the most to gain financially. Despite the fact that scholarship players are afforded an education at these schools it doesnt make sense that the governing body has the most to gain and it isn't shared amongst those who partake. I hope this lawsuit takes the legs out from under the NCAA bullies.

Striker
01-31-2013, 12:11 AM
I hope this lawsuit takes the legs out from under the NCAA bullies.
They are indeed bullies. When I was a D1 athlete in the Big Ten about 15 years ago they didn't even allow the athletes to work if we had the time to earn a couple extra dollars, it was against NCAA regulations. They amended this rule my junior year and allowed athletes to earn up to $2k in a job if they chose to.

rastajenk
01-31-2013, 06:52 AM
They were just trying to protect against abuses. Surely you can see that if part-time jobs were permitted, then a star running back could get maybe 100 thou to be a greeter at a new car lot a couple times a month.

How do you let a X country runner take a regular paying gig, and not let a guy who is three- or four- deep on the football depth chart try to earn a little extra? And if you do that, how do you distinguish between a benchwarmer and a star, as far as rules go?

I've always been against paying players in any manner, in order to help smaller, less visible programs stay viable.