PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream Park Trip

OTM Al
02-04-2004, 01:04 PM
I'm going to GP for the first time this weekend. Anyone have advice on good spot to watch from not to far from real tellers (hate those betting machines)

cj
02-04-2004, 01:27 PM
Curious, why do you hate the machines? I personally use them every chance I get, the less human interaction at the track, the better for me.

OTM Al
02-04-2004, 01:35 PM
I knew someone was going to ask me that :)

I like the interaction to tell you the truth. Atmosphere thing I guess and the machines are just too impersonal. I usually go with all the picks I'm making for the day set (scratches, unexpected weather changes, and odd behavior by the horses non-withstanding) before I get there, so on a good day its just sit back, watch the races, have a couple beers and talk to the regulars and even the tellers when its not too busy. An enjoyment thing I guess.

ranchwest
02-04-2004, 03:01 PM
Sometimes I talk to the tellers, but I've seen betting machines with better personalities than some tellers.

OTM Al
02-04-2004, 03:13 PM
That's true too. Since I usually go to an OTB restaurant in Brooklyn, its usually the same ones who are very friendly and recognize you when you come in. I've been to another place though where they are pretty much dead fish in the personality department.

Show Me the Wire
02-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Sit in the pub area by the paddock. Good location, see the horses up close in the paddock, sheltered from the sun, close to tellers, and a short walk to the track to watch the race.

My favorite place.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is realtiy

OTM Al
02-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Thanks. Will check it out.

karlskorner
02-05-2004, 11:03 AM
First floor Clubhouse, facing the paddock. Small groups, tank tops and shorts, 2 days growth of beard, lots of opinions. I am sure you will find someone you know. If not there, first floor Grandstand (same as above). Enjoy the weather. stand in the sun, easier for the Gods of Racing to find you.

andicap
02-05-2004, 11:34 AM
I'm heading to GP in March, probably. Last year, I loved the outdoor restaurant on the clubhouse turn. Not a great view of the track for watching the race, but decent food, a nice place to sit, and a great view of the track (palm trees, etc.) And pretty waitresses.

Since I have no clue what to look for anyway in the paddock, that didn't matter to me.

Show Me the Wire
02-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Yes the restaurant is nice, but terrible view of the race. All the action is around the paddock, if you like bring a folding chair and sit by the paddock. I forgot to mention to get a table at the pub you need to make a reservation, if you get my drift.

Exciting place though, that is where the trainers and other backsiders kind of hang out. Real cute exercise girls, I mght add.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

OTM Al
02-05-2004, 03:10 PM
Thanks all for the tips. I'll let you know how it went. Looking forward to seeing the Donn. Just wish a 3yo I've been following, Play All Night was running this weekend, but you can't have everything.

Show Me the Wire
02-05-2004, 06:48 PM
OTM Al:

One more important piece of advice, if you are female or going with a female. Do not take a purse into the ladies restrooms. Make sure someone keeps a close watch on purse and valuables inside.

There are some notorious ah lets say finders of misplaced purses.

Hope you have a safe and fun trip.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

perception is reality

OTM Al
02-06-2004, 12:51 PM
Thanks Show Me the Wire. I'll let my girlfriend know. She's the one who got me the trip for Xmas.

OTM Al
02-11-2004, 11:50 AM
I have returned. It was a great time, though my handicapping left something to be desired. Here's how it went.

Saturday Feb 7. Plane leaves JFK over an hour late. Miss first race. Should have paid close attention to results. I'm betting small exactas as I'm going to be here for 3 days. My picks are 1st and 3rd. This becomes the theme for the day. Wander around a bit an decide I want to sit in clubhouse section near finish line. Near everything I want and comfortable. Have several 1st and 3rds on exacta bets and 1st 2nd 4ths on trifecta bets. I really need to learn how to place a win bet. The Donn was fantastic. I actually felt Funny Cide was the 5th best in the field and thought he did well to finish 3rd. Disappointment was Puzzlement. Thought he was the only one with a chance to take Medaglia D'Oro. Change my mind in the Deputy Minister and decide to go with a Trifecta bet rather than the simple exacta with Alke and Cajun Beat. 1st, 2nd, ....4th. At least my girlfriend had the sense to bet the exacta I originally wrote down.

Sunday the 8th. Have figured out that Gulfstream is running fast on the rail since Saturday. This is not the way I had the track figured. Must have been from all the rain. Refigure from the 4th race on. Decide to put a longshot into my exacta in the 6th. Wye River is over 30-1 at post but the breeding looks great for a first timer. Ends up over 50-1 and misses by a nose, but I still get $238 on a $2 exacta ticket. Relief flows in. I play pick 6 since I seem to be good at picking winners. Just a cheap one 3 singles and 3 doubles. Had a double in first leg but single it in the end. The one I take off wins. So do my picks on the next 4 legs. Don't know if it was relief when my single in the final leg finished 5th or disappointment as 5 out of 6 would have still given me about $150. At least I don't feel like puking anymore.

Monday the 9th. Just kind of kicked back and made very small bets. Didn't really like most of the races, so just decided to relax. Got a picture in gift shop of Medaglia D'Oro leading the field into the stretch from head on from the Donn. Get Jerry Bailey to autograph it. It will be framed on wall soon.

Tuesday the 10th. Lunch in Key West and back home that night. A great trip all around.

Thanks to everyone for your advice. It's a great park.

Suff
02-11-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by OTM Al
I have returned. It was a great time, though my handicapping left s

Thanks to everyone for your advice. It's a great park.

sounds like a good time. where'd you stay? +/- , $. You take in Ft Lauderdale. or better yet. South beach. Did you stop in The Clevelander?

OTM Al
02-11-2004, 04:14 PM
Stayed across the street at the Hampton. Just walked to the park everyday. Not totally sure how much the hotel was as it was X-mas gift from my girlfriend. Its a nice hotel though and as i said, literally right across the street. Didn't really take in much of the area. Went down to Key West on tuesday and can't wait to go back though the drive down there is trying on the nerves with US 1 being only 2 lanes most of the way.