PDA

View Full Version : Pro Bowl

horses4courses
01-27-2013, 01:51 PM
Game starts at 7pm ET today.

Do you like it played the week prior to Super Bowl, or do you think it should be played afterwards, giving the chance for some of the Super Bowl players to play in the Pro Bowl? Or, does it really matter?

Personally, I think the NFL is missing an opportunity to market both games a little better. As in MLB, make the Pro Bowl (their All Star Game) count towards something in the Super Bowl. For baseball, the winning league team gets home field advantage for their league champions in the World Series. In football, the winning team in the Pro Bowl could win the coin toss for their conference champs a week ahead of time.

It's not much, but it would give one coach time to decide if he wants to kick off, or receive, the ball at the start, or in the second half. It eliminates the funky coin toss, but there would still be an opening ceremony for the team captains with an announcement of the kick off choice.

A small thing, maybe, but it gives the Pro Bowl something extra, imo.

lamboguy
01-27-2013, 02:07 PM
i had an old friend of mine, god rest his poor sole, used to only bet the pro bowl, the blue grey game, east west shrine game and any of the football all star games. he did very well at it too.

Valuist
01-27-2013, 02:37 PM
One of the options should be to eliminate the game. People generally watch the NFL for one (or more) of 3 reasons:

1. They root for their local, or favorite team.
2. They play in fantasy leagues
3. They bet on the games.

There is no single team, so # 1 is out. Fantasy leagues are long over. You can bet the game, but why would anyone want to bet on a game where the players have very little interest in winning? Get rid of the Pro Bowl.

horses4courses
01-27-2013, 02:41 PM
One of the options should be to eliminate the game. People generally watch the NFL for one (or more) of 3 reasons:

1. They root for their local, or favorite team.
2. They play in fantasy leagues
3. They bet on the games.

There is no single team, so # 1 is out. Fantasy leagues are long over. You can bet the game, but why would anyone want to bet on a game where the players have very little interest in winning? Get rid of the Pro Bowl.

I can't argue with that....it's pretty meaningless as it stands now.
The only factor the NFL considers, though, is whether it makes money.
It must not be running at a loss......

Marshall Bennett
01-27-2013, 03:56 PM
I voted for a week after, but wouldn't hurt my feelings any if they cancelled it all together. It's become more of a showcase of talent with little or no real competition. Almost reminds me of pro wrestling.

Striker
01-27-2013, 04:39 PM
Supposed to be fairly rainy and windy today which will make the play even more sloppy and uninspired. This might be the last year for it.

Robert Fischer
01-27-2013, 07:04 PM
an all-star game makes little sense for a violent contact sport.

Personally if I was one of the folks who liked to attend the Pro Bowl, I wouldn't have a big problem with it being 2 hand touch. As silly as that may sound.

You get to go to Hawaii for a vacation, and you see the all-stars(maybe even more of them if 2-hand touch).

I could be wrong, and many fans may hate the idea.

cj
01-27-2013, 07:40 PM
I would vote never if it were an option. It should be a symbolic honor, nothing more.

Jay Trotter
01-27-2013, 08:29 PM
I agree with cj -- because of the physical nature of the game, a true "game" could never be played. It should be a symbolic honor. They get to take their families to Hawaii, maybe play some Madden 2013, have a celebration dinner and then relax on the beach.

Baseball is perfect for an All-Star game. Basketball is pretty good too because they can kind of do the whole Harlem Globetrotter type thing and complete in the Slam-Dunk contests. Hockey is kind of inbetween, but an All-Star game can still be played displaying the artistry of the game without the hitting. Football only works because of the intensity and physical nature. I don't think too many of us would be watching the National Flag Football League.

elysiantraveller
01-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Whats the Pro Bowl?... :confused:

elysiantraveller
01-27-2013, 08:55 PM
I agree with cj -- because of the physical nature of the game, a true "game" could never be played. It should be a symbolic honor. They get to take their families to Hawaii, maybe play some Madden 2013, have a celebration dinner and then relax on the beach.

Baseball is perfect for an All-Star game. Basketball is pretty good too because they can kind of do the whole Harlem Globetrotter type thing and complete in the Slam-Dunk contests. Hockey is kind of inbetween, but an All-Star game can still be played displaying the artistry of the game without the hitting. Football only works because of the intensity and physical nature. I don't think too many of us would be watching the National Flag Football League.

:ThmbUp:

They should all have to play a game of ultimate frisbee...

I would watch that.

gheuks
01-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Does anybody even watch this crap??

dav4463
01-27-2013, 10:44 PM
I am weird! I watched. I like seeing all the players from different teams playing with each other. I like the no stress, have fun emphasis being the main part of the game.

I also enjoy pre-season football and spring training baseball.

I just like the atmosphere!

Jay Trotter
01-28-2013, 09:29 AM
I am weird! I watched. I like seeing all the players from different teams playing with each other. I like the no stress, have fun emphasis being the main part of the game.

I also enjoy pre-season football and spring training baseball.

I just like the atmosphere!I'm assuming you like tea and crumpets on the terrace too! Not that there is anything wrong with that. :lol:

sammy the sage
01-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Does anybody even watch this crap??

Obviously you WERE :rolleyes: :lol:

Valuist
01-28-2013, 10:02 AM
I heard that last year the game drew 12.5 million viewers and a typical World Series game gets around 12.7 million. Sad but true. Maybe Sunday night TV options are weak?