PDA

View Full Version : Monitor

Tom
01-26-2013, 10:50 AM
I need to replace my monitor. The one I have keeps turning to a red/pink shade really making much unreadable. IT came and went for a while, but now it is less went and more came.

Do I just remove it and put on a new one (I have one ready) or do I need to install it with drivers, and what not?

The tutorial I found on line says to disable my current monitor and then reboot and follow theses steps....but if it doesn't work, I am now without any screen...sounds risky.

senortout
01-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Tom, you have finally achieved Red State status! Keep it just the way it is. You were made for each other.

senortout
01-26-2013, 12:16 PM
On a more serious note, most windows systems automatically recognize the new monitor, just plug it in and go.

headhawg
01-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Some monitors will come with drivers, which are more-or-less a color profile. They are usually not needed. The more important thing is the connector. Current LCD monitors can have standard VGA, DVI, and/or HDMI. Your on-board video or your video card needs to have a matching connector on it as well, otherwise you need a special cable which is not worth the effort. For best results try to use DVI or HDMI, but again, you need to know what your video card output port uses (there may be more than one choice).

Tom
01-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Thanks guys, I'll go ahead tonight.
In case you never hear from me again.....:D

tophorse1145
01-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Looks its time to go for a new one .monitor for you

raybo
02-01-2013, 11:01 AM
With your computer off, just plug in the new monitor and power it up, and then turn on your computer, it should recognize the new monitor with no problem, if it came with a disk, run it I suppose.

Tom
02-01-2013, 11:56 AM
No disk, I bought the computer and monitor together, but only need to use the monitor on my existing computer. If I needed a disk, how would I use it? If the monitor did not work, there would nothing to see...which is why I was concerned.

I will try it tonight, as it is now red tinted all the time.

raybo
02-01-2013, 03:01 PM
I doubt you'll have a problem, unless your computer or "new" monitor is very old, or damaged. "Plug and Play" has been around for quite a while.

Tom
02-02-2013, 11:17 AM
The computers is only a few years old, but the monitor is circa 1999-2000.
The new monitors is only a couple years old, so hopefully no issues!

Thanks all.

njcurveball
02-02-2013, 11:28 AM
I would check the cable. Those get worn out too.

Tom
02-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Hmmmm. Good point, I'll change that today, too.

JustRalph
02-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Hmmmm. Good point, I'll change that today, too.

if it changes color when you move the power cable.......be careful....it can bite you with something called volts

njcurveball
02-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Not talking about the power cable. That is either working or not. I am talking about the VGA cable. Depending on the pins connecting, different colors may be missing.

VGA cables usually have 15 pins and over time one can become bent and not make a proper connection.

I have seen people throw out good monitors due to this problem. VGA cables are cheap and be found for less then $10 most any where.

Tom
02-02-2013, 04:37 PM
if it changes color when you move the power cable.......be careful....it can bite you with something called volts

Cable's ok!

DeltaLover
02-02-2013, 05:44 PM
i bought it last week...

is cheap and cool

highly recommented

http://www.officemax.com/technology/monitors/product-prod4160080?cm_mmc=Googlepla-_-Technology-_-Monitors-_-NULL&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=23436275

Tom
02-04-2013, 07:57 PM
It is definitely the cord. I can wiggle it and get rid of the red, but it comes back. Tried loosening the screws a bit and it went away. Let's see how long. The cord is made into the monitor, so I cant' just replace it.

Tom
02-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Let's see how long.

Not very. :mad:

raybo
02-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Not very. :mad:

Yeah, sounds like it might have a weak connection in the cord's connector, or the connector on your pc, that gets affected by heat, if the cord isn't getting moved by vibration or something. Cold solder joints will do that I know. They're fine until they heat up or get jostled.

Tom
02-05-2013, 11:05 AM
It is always OK when I first power up - then goes red after a short time.
If it is the card, not my monitor, that means I need a new card?

raybo
02-05-2013, 12:20 PM
It is always OK when I first power up - then goes red after a short time.
If it is the card, not my monitor, that means I need a new card?

I would assume that will be the case. It sure sounds like a heat problem to me, and if it is, everything will work good until it heats up then you'll see the problem. Of course, it might be vibration or jostling that is the problem, in which case you need to isolate the weak connection, the cord connector or the card connector, and the only way I know to do that is by plugging another monitor into that card connector and seeing if the problem is still there, if it is, then the card is faulty, if not, then the monitor or monitor cord/connector is faulty.

Tom
02-05-2013, 02:17 PM
I will try the second monitor tonight and see if it has the same problem.
Thanks again!

raybo
02-05-2013, 03:18 PM
I'm sure you'll let us know what happens, either way?

BIG49010
02-05-2013, 07:38 PM
I will try the second monitor tonight and see if it has the same problem.
Thanks again!

Had a laptop do the same thing, my moneys on the Monitor, not the card.

Tom
02-06-2013, 08:00 AM
So far, no problem with the second monitor.
I will run it for a long time tonight and see - hooked up fro a little over an hour last night, usually see the problem within 10 minutes or less.

:ThmbUp::confused:

raybo
02-06-2013, 10:02 AM
So far, no problem with the second monitor.
I will run it for a long time tonight and see - hooked up fro a little over an hour last night, usually see the problem within 10 minutes or less.

:ThmbUp::confused:Sounds like the monitor was the problem, either the monitor or the cord/connector. Good deal!

Tom
03-24-2013, 11:28 AM
OK, I just hooked my new monitor. All is working well after an hour.
But unexpectedly, my computer has speeded up VERY noticeably, and my internet is blazing! Not so with the old monitor this morning before I made the switch.

Does this make sense?
Not complaining.....this is great news!

raybo
03-24-2013, 12:08 PM
OK, I just hooked my new monitor. All is working well after an hour.
But unexpectedly, my computer has speeded up VERY noticeably, and my internet is blazing! Not so with the old monitor this morning before I made the switch.

Does this make sense?
Not complaining.....this is great news!

I suppose it's possible, if the monitor or processor is working overtime trying to keep your old monitor displaying what it's supposed to display, but sounds a little far fetched to me. But, I learned long ago in the Air Force, electronics have a mind of their own! That's why I stayed only 8 years, instead of at least 20!!!! That crap will drive you nuts!!

Tom
03-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Been noticeably faster all day - ever since I put the new one on. :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
03-24-2013, 08:53 PM
Could be you are no longer loading a crappy driver.

But I suspect this new monitor has a much faster refresh rate which makes it appear a little faster, quite literally.

I might also suspect you may have moved some cables around? Or even disconnected something that was slowing things down?

Tom
03-24-2013, 09:10 PM
Could be you are no longer loading a crappy driver.

But I suspect this new monitor has a much faster refresh rate which makes it appear a little faster, quite literally.

I might also suspect you may have moved some cables around? Or even disconnected something that was slowing things down?

Ya think? :lol: