PDA

View Full Version : Freehold Live! Friday, Jan. 25

Teach
01-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Freehold Live! Comments welcome. One man's opinion with nearly fifty-five years experience playing the harness races. Former Publicity Director/Backup Announcer at the now defunct Foxboro Raceway (the track is now one of the Gillette Stadium parking lots).

I'd like to begin by wishing track announcer Larry Lederman the very best. I understand that Larry has an inoperable malignant brain tumor. Hang tough, Larry. You're not forgotten. You've brought a lot of pleasure to many horse racing fans, both thoroughbred and standardbred, with your race calls over the years.

Race One:

A "toughie" (aren't they all). The "logical suspects" are the two "inside" horses: #1 Devine Filly with "The Pandy Man," ("The Pandy Man Can...") Jim Pantaleano and #2 AJ's Blair Bear with Jack Baggitt, Jr. I must say there appears to be tons of early speed in the opener. That's why I'm considering two other horses: #6 SS Derby Girl with Kyle DiBenedetto could be closing late. I think she hits the tote. The mare has graced the tote in her last five efforts. The question: Can she get there in time? Another possible is Harry Landy's mare, #3 High Bet Hanover. Might just surprise. As always, good luck here and with all your selections.

CHeCK EyE
01-25-2013, 12:51 PM
The 7 getting parked hurt SS Derby Girl. Forced 3 wide going into last turn. Could be a nice bet next week.

Race 2 is interesting race IMO. Lots of...'obvious' contenders for beginners. I think this one all depends how the race sets up. Wait, isn't that always the case? ha

Teach
01-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Race Two: Again, the two "inside" horses look like "the logicals". The venerable "Cat Man," Cat Manzi, draws the rail with #1 Bright Tune. This 10-year-old mare has been very sharp of late. #2 Smooth Finish is another "contendah" (thank you, Marlon Brando). The "Irish Joe" Hanney charge is dropping down; that could help her find her way to the winner's circle. Others to consider are: #4 Mcnickels Mcdimes. She had a tough starting post in her last. She does get some post position relief. She also appears to be a class factor, here. Another horse to consider is #5 Rachel. She hasn't shown much recently; yet, there's a chance she could hit the tote.

CHeCK EyE
01-25-2013, 12:58 PM
I like the 3 here. I think she leaves for the top around the 1 and Cat goes for the retake and the GE gets the pocket. The wildcard for me is the 4, Mcnickels Mcdimes. If Berry leaves also and gets around both the 1 and 3 I think Cat goes back to the front still but the 3 ends up third having to go first up. Steve Smith horse has the class and his style of right to the rail and try late may pay off.

CHeCK EyE
01-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Steve Smith special almost worked. He was weaving late with pace. Didn't figure the 7 or 8 though. I thought it'd be too far out. I do admit I liked their last lines but the posts were tough for me to overcome with the horses on the inside in this race.

CHeCK EyE
01-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Race 3

I got 2-1-8-5

I think the 1 will be over bet going from 8 to 1 post and I'm willing to try and beat. The half mile special looks good here, 1 and 2, but I do like the 8 a bit. Has the speed to get decent early position. Follows someone and can try late. I'll round out the top 4 with the 5. Ends up first up with the 8 on her back?

Teach
01-25-2013, 01:16 PM
Race Three:

My choices here are being made by default. I like #s 1 and 2. #1 The Dude Abides is driven by Vinny Ginsburg. The gelding should benefit from the inside post (he had the 8-hole last time). #2 Sunset Gentelman also gets an improved starting position. Cat Manzi is back in the sulky for trainer Jack Franklin. Another horse to keep in mind is #5 Willow Run Hottie; she fits in this company. Finally, a lonshot possibility, #8 Hello Linda with Kyle DiBenedetto. She won her last.

CHeCK EyE
01-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Too bad the 8 couldn't find a seat in the top 3 or 4. Surprised Cat couldn't keep up in the pocket? 5 was first up too soon and expectantly tired after that.

Race 4

4-6-3-8 for me. I think the 3 4 and 6 leave to get around the slouches in the 1 and 2 slots and they line up in reverse order, 6-4-3. 4 gets up and the 8 closes off a cover trip.

Teach
01-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Race Four: I was thinking of skipping this one: Very Tough! Yet, I like .10 supers...so I may take a stab. One thing: I'm not going with the two "inside" horses. I like #3 Change Maker, currently 12-1. I can also make a case for #s 4 and 6. #4 So Confusing has hit the tote in her last four races. #6 Marymac is a Whack has won her last three. Then, there's #9 Dovetail. I like horses that start from the second tier. I'll throw in #5 Cape Marj.

CHeCK EyE
01-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Good call on playing the 10 center. I played 4,6 / 4,6 / 3,4,5,6 / ALL. So close...so close

Teach
01-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Race Five:

In this trot, I'll take a stab with #4 Map of Hawaii. This is a nicely-bred 4-year-old trotter, e,g., Chocolatier, Malabar Man. If I'm not mistaken Steve Nason brought home a 43-1 shot at Monticello this week. Others to consider are: #3 Cash Value. Admittedly, the horse hasn't shown much in recent tries, but there's a degree of back-class. Also, #1 Political Pull. If you can her ignore her last (she did the "Freehold Dance-Step"), she might just surprise. Speaking of surprises, #8 Ginger Tree Lexie might just hit the tote, at a price.

CHeCK EyE
01-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Don't have the program pages past this race so this will be it for me.

5-2-4-8

Thinking the 5 leaves around the 2 and the 2 retakes. Pocket ride for the 5. I think the 4 just follows along and can hold 3rd and the 8 can maybe get in the mix a bit and close for 4th.

Teach
01-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Race Six: I like the #1 horse, Matt's Smokin Lil. Looks like the class. The "Big M" invader should have her own way with this field. Underneath: I like the other "inside" horses: #2 Nanette Hall, #3 Cheyenne Patti, and #4 I Luv It.

Teach
01-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Race Seven:

#2 Fandango Dancer gets my tepid nod. At long last...gets some post position relief. Others to consider are: #3 Pointe of Honour. I can't believe he's currently 8-1. Then, there's #5 Keystone Swagger. A much better starting post. Also, #4 Whatnblazes.

Teach
01-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Race Eight:

#5 Superstar Dream is my longshot special. He may be out on or near the lead. Could surprise. #6 Blue Monster has hit the board in five straight. Very much a factor. Others to consider are: #1 Dawg's Buddy and #2 Furious Franny.

Teach
01-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Race Nine:

It's the inside in this trot. Eric Abbatiello right back with #1 Swift Kid. Underneath: #2 Stunt Man Hall and #3 New Hampshire Boy. #4 No Money Fun can hit the tote.

Teach
01-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Race Ten:

#2 Cautious Optimism is my pick here. Others to consider are #1 Big Sky Thunder. He's logical with Jim Pantaleono. Also, #4 Broadway's Future. Good effort in last race. Finally, #7 Kristal Dream with "Cat". The horse has won two in a row.

Teach
01-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Race 11:

#s: 2,1,3,4