PDA

View Full Version : The DRF Pace Figure

Shacopate
02-04-2004, 12:58 AM
It's here. They just don't know it.

The DRF pace rating can be calculated in a similar fashion to the DRF speed rating.

Using a multiplier, (at this point, I should give credit to Dave Schwartz for the idea) you can take the 3-year best and use the multipliers of:

6f --- .6433
6 1/2 .5896
7f --- .5460
Mile --- .7336
1 & 1/16 .6900
1 & 1/8 .6506

to get a DRF pace rating at any distance. Just take the 3-year best time and multiply it by the multipliers.

For example: Churchill Downs

6f --- 3yr best, 67.6 x .6433 = 43.48, would equal a 100 pace rating.

PSTfredk
02-04-2004, 01:07 AM
do you mean to go back thre years to get his best time.

isn't that i long time ago to fique a best time

to get a true pace number?

Steve 'StatMan'
02-04-2004, 01:44 AM
I think he meant the 3 year track record as a basis, like the DRF's Speed Rating & Track Variant (SR+TV).

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but are you comforatable enough with the accuracy and validity of the old DRF SR+TV process? There is a lot of inconsistencies and problems with the Speed Ratings, which is why the Beyers and so many other figures have been developed, and are usually concidered better than the SR+TV.

Perhaps you'd want to derive the daily variant from those other speed figures. Steve Davidowitz I think wrote about this in his Betting Throughbreds. Perhaps Beyer has too. I recall a Randy Moss article in DRF Simulcast Weekly where he advocated making pace figures and using the Beyer Pars vs. Winning Beyer figure to derive what the variant was.

I'm still skeptical on how accurate even this process is, so perhaps others will be able to offer better advice.

cj
02-04-2004, 06:28 AM
Those multipliers would give you rough estimates, but you better learn the differences between tracks before using something like that if you are going to bet money based on them. I use something like the multipliers, but I have one for every track and every distance. There are major differences from track to track.

Then there is the pace variant, but that's a whole new thread or 10!

jjgold
02-04-2004, 02:21 PM
speed wins races not pace

I would say pace ratings are very overrated

Zaf
02-04-2004, 10:10 PM
True Speed produces $4.00 winners,

Pace produces $20.00 winners :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D

ZAFONIC

Tom
02-04-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by jjgold

I would say pace ratings are very overrated

Please provide details of each pace figure you have tested.

What was the roi using BRIS E2 best of last three as compared to Crammer 4fur pace numbers one grass sprints in 2003?

Obviously, you have these stats, no?

Cratos
02-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Speed is the final time of a race and pace is the time the race was run in. Also the speed of a race is a function of its pace. But more to the point, any bettor who wants to play this game and use “figures,” they should make their own. I find it laughable when bettors claim that the Beyer Speed Figures are the basis of their handicapping. Beyer does not make speed figures; he makes class figures indexed by speed.

I will reiterate if you are to stay in this game and use “figures,” you should make your own.

yak merchant
02-05-2004, 07:37 PM
Cratos did you receive the Private message I sent to you about 2 weeks ago? Just wondering.

Regards,

YM

Cratos
02-05-2004, 07:44 PM
Yak Merchant,

I didn’t receive your email. Please resend it to rdrfager@AOL.com and I will reply.

superfecta
02-06-2004, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by jjgold

I would say pace ratings are very overrated if you don't like pace ratings,I can see why you hate harness races.I can also see you don't know much about racing.Now I have a problem,either i find out how to use the ignore feature on this site or hope to god you are betting the same races as me.As an aside ,the DRF speed rating is a raw number,so its up to each of us to adjust it and decide whether its a true indication of the horses ability.Its only a single factor in the race,not the end all be alll,not totally useless,somewhere in between.