PDA

View Full Version : Callahan

Valuist
01-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Forget Mantei T'eo, in a story I personally could not care less about. I'm interested in what happens on the field.

I believe Tim Brown has opened himself up to a big defamation of character lawsuit. For a football coach, there is no bigger accomplishment than winning a Super Bowl. There is a finite number of head coaching jobs in the NFL, and an even much smaller pool of those with a realistic chance of achieving that ultimate goal. Forget the fact he was friends with Gruden. Forget the fact Al Davis would be a terrible owner to work for. Are either of those reasons any justification for throwing a Super Bowl. Of course they aren't.

Bill Romanowski has come out and blasted Brown, and Lincoln Kennedy has pretty much discredited Brown also. Brown's lone supporter appears to be Jerry Rice. But when interviewed by ESPN, and asked to confirm the fact that Callahan sabotaged the team, Rice backed off, and basically said "Tim Brown was the man in Oakland, and if he said it and thought it, it must've been true".

Is it possible Davis called up Callahan and "suggested" they scrap a gameplan heavily relying on Wheatley and Crockett? We'll never know.

So who was the QB coach of that Raider team? None other than Jim Harbaugh. Have to wonder if he's going to get asked questions. Could be a potential distraction. Who was the Raiders O-C? None other than Marc Trestman, the new coach of the Bears. And who is trying desperately to stay relevant to get into the Hall of Fame? Tim Brown.

Valuist
01-23-2013, 10:38 AM
So if you are the owner or GM of the Saints, don't you think Goddell has to launch an investigation? If you suspend the coach and GM of the Saints for a full season for behavior that did NOT affect the integrity of the game, you cannot ignore this issue.

cj's dad
01-23-2013, 11:33 AM
For those unaware of this story, here's the link:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8871919/bill-callahan-former-oakland-raiders-coach-says-sabotage-allegations-ludicrous

Robert Goren
01-23-2013, 11:47 AM
People who live Nebraska will believe that Callahan is capable of anything except winning. He and the cowboys deserve each other.

Robert Fischer
01-23-2013, 12:08 PM
In the week/days before the game, pro bowl center Barret Robbins went down to Tijuana and went on a drug binge, and didn't return for the super bowl.

The official story was that Callahan had to change up the game plan because Robbins was AWOL.

It's interesting that Tim Brown's story has Robbins "begging" Callahan not to change the game plan before going AWOL...

I don't put too much stock into the Tim Brown story. Thought it was kind of weird thing to come out with. Is Brown crazy? Is he pushing a new book?

Valuist
01-23-2013, 05:00 PM
In the week/days before the game, pro bowl center Barret Robbins went down to Tijuana and went on a drug binge, and didn't return for the super bowl.

The official story was that Callahan had to change up the game plan because Robbins was AWOL.

It's interesting that Tim Brown's story has Robbins "begging" Callahan not to change the game plan before going AWOL...

I don't put too much stock into the Tim Brown story. Thought it was kind of weird thing to come out with. Is Brown crazy? Is he pushing a new book?

All I know about Brown is he had a great career but as for the Hall of Fame, he's on the outside looking in. I'm not sure if this is the right way to go about it; maybe he figures enough writers will re-check the stat book and see how he stacks up. I know its very difficult to compare receivers now to back before all the rule changes. WRs put up much, much bigger numbers now. Moss will make the HoF, and probably Calvin Johnson someday but not too many other likely candidates. Andre Johnson? Maybe. Reggie Wayne? Probably not. Fitzgerald? He needs somebody to get him the ball.

elysiantraveller
01-23-2013, 06:21 PM
I think Tim Brown gets in. Moss for sure. Calvin doesn't need to take another snap and he gets in. The others? Maybe.

It is tough for wideouts though.

Stillriledup
01-23-2013, 07:22 PM
I think its sour grapes by Brown, Tampa was the right side in there, if you watched the Championship games that season, anyone with half a brain was on Tampa plus the points. It was a no brainer pick.

The Barrett Robbins situation was a red flag to me, when i saw that i was like "these guys arent serious about winning" and alas, i was right.