PDA

View Full Version : Ravens vs 49ers, Super Bowl XLVII

Stillriledup
01-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Ravens played 3 cold weather games and 2 of them were VERY cold, now theyre going to play in 70 degrees on carpet.

Does this 'angle' matter?

cj's dad
01-22-2013, 01:21 PM
I think not. If anything it will make Tory Smith even faster.

Earlier I have posted that the Ravens O line stinks. The transformation in 4 of the last 5 games has been remarkable. Keep in mind that the Bengals loss was meaningless. Handled the NYG, Colts, Broncs and Pats.

Flacco has had time to throw and has 8 TD's with 0 interceptions.

Bryant Mc Kinney was reinserted at left tackle replacing Michael Oher who took up his old position at right tackle.

Pro bowler Marshall Yanda (IR) is back at his right guard spot and Osemele was moved to left guard where he has played very well.

The defense has been reunited with the exception of corner Lardarius Webb, out for the year. Ray seems to have been reborn since coming off of IR. 44 tackles in 3 playoff games.

Above all, the 49er's have a rookie QB. with 9 (?) starts under his belt.

70*, how could anyone NOT want to play in that environment ?

Valuist
01-22-2013, 01:50 PM
I don't think so either. They have two full weeks between games, and they will be in New Orleans for a full week before the game. The Denver game was very cold, but if memory serves correct, neither the game vs the Colts or Patriots was in especially cold weather.

Stillriledup
01-22-2013, 01:54 PM
Great stuff CJD.

For those of you who care about these things, let me introduce your head official for the Super Bowl, Mr Jerome Boger.

Seems to be some controversy surrounding the appointment of this particular ref to this game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_Boger

Stillriledup
01-22-2013, 01:55 PM
I don't think so either. They have two full weeks between games, and they will be in New Orleans for a full week before the game. The Denver game was very cold, but if memory serves correct, neither the game vs the Colts or Patriots was in especially cold weather.

It seemed like it was FREEZING in New England, i dont know what the game time temp was, but those guys were bundled up like it was below zero.

horses4courses
01-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Ravens played 3 cold weather games and 2 of them were VERY cold, now theyre going to play in 70 degrees on carpet.

Does this 'angle' matter?

In a word - no.

This will be hard-nosed, in the trenches, combat.
Makes little difference where it is played, unless you figure that Kapernick has an advantage on a fast surface with his speed.
The linemen will win this game, though. Whoever wins the most battles will win the war. That's how football should be.

I have to admit that I underrated this Raven team. They did not impress me during the regular season, but I didn't know enough about them with regard to some key players who were injured for prolonged periods.
It's these types of players, who don't get their names in lights, that play a huge role in the team.
When a number of them go missing, the team can't function properly. If they come back healthy at the right time, though, good things can happen in the playoffs. Good luck to them!

Stillriledup
01-22-2013, 02:03 PM
In a word - no.

Makes little difference where it is played, unless you figure that Kapernick has an advantage on a fast surface with his speed.
The linemen will win this game, though. Whoever wins the most battles will win the war. That's how football should be.

I have to admit that I underrated this Raven team. They did not impress me during the regular season, but I didn't know enough about them with regard to some key players who were injured for prolonged periods. It's these types of players, who don't get their names in lights, that play a huge role in the team.
When a number of them go missing, the team can't function properly. If they come back healthy at the right time, though, good things can happen in the playoffs. Good luck to them!

Do you not think Colin has an advantage with his speed on the carpet? Ravens D just faced two old and slowfooted QBs, this is a different thing altogether.

Kapernick 'hid in the bushes' vs Atlanta and only ran for 20 something yards, but he ran for 180 vs GB....he may be 'turned loose' in this game.

The 9ers are great in the 2nd half and a lot of that has to do with CK being able to tire out the opposing defense in the first half.

The Ravens will win the game if the 9ers make some mistakes and the Ravens capitalize. If The 9ers play mistake free football, or the dominant type of football we saw them play vs GB, its going to be hard for Balto to match that pace.

Flacco and the Ravens played a perfect game vs NE, they werent close to fumbling and JF wasnt close to any mistakes at all, they were efficient and played a smart game, they will need much more of the same to win this one imo.

horses4courses
01-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Do you not think Colin has an advantage with his speed on the carpet? Ravens D just faced two old and slowfooted QBs, this is a different thing altogether.

Kapernick 'hid in the bushes' vs Atlanta and only ran for 20 something yards, but he ran for 180 vs GB....he may be 'turned loose' in this game.

The 9ers are great in the 2nd half and a lot of that has to do with CK being able to tire out the opposing defense in the first half.

The Ravens will win the game if the 9ers make some mistakes and the Ravens capitalize. If The 9ers play mistake free football, or the dominant type of football we saw them play vs GB, its going to be hard for Balto to match that pace.

Flacco and the Ravens played a perfect game vs NE, they werent close to fumbling and JF wasnt close to any mistakes at all, they were efficient and played a smart game, they will need much more of the same to win this one imo.

Yes - I believe that Kapernick is potentially better on the carpet.
All his college ball at UNR meant his home games were on that surface, and his speed has to be a factor here. He's an adequate passer of the ball, especially for a rookie, the 49ers running game is good behind him, but it's his speed that makes him very dangerous.
The Ravens will have to neutralize the threat, or hope that they can dominate possession and keep him off the field.
There are a lot of interesting possibilities here.

PhantomOnTour
01-22-2013, 02:38 PM
What a spot i find myself in as a Steelers fan...
do i root for my arch rival Baltimore or do i root for the Niners, who would tie Pittsburgh with six Super Bowl wins?

gonna watch and enjoy anyway...this should be an excellent game btw two tough ball teams...which QB will falter? both have been stellar in the playoffs thus far.
As of right now i pick Baltimore to win the game...this seems so storybook:
> Ray Lewis announces his retirement at seasons' end
> prayer answered in Denver with 30secs to play
> loss against the Pats last year avenged in grand style

i get the feeling the end of this book has already been written...i think Kap is gonna lay an egg for SF and make some mistakes

elysiantraveller
01-22-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm expecting a meat grinder of a game which I'm pretty excited about. Being indoors isn't going to make that much of a difference in this one as both teams play "power" ball. Kaepernick is a threat regardless of surface. The 9ers deserve to be probably a 3.5 point favorite and I would probably take that line.

Just like the Atlanta game the first team to turn the ball over loses this one.

Should be fun.

PhantomOnTour
01-22-2013, 02:45 PM
I do have one Super Bowl prop bet to offer:

1-5 odds that there's an incident involving an angry Saints fan and Roger Goodell...this can range from simple yelling/cursing at him to out-n-out attempted assault...but something is gonna happen.

Striker
01-22-2013, 02:55 PM

The Ravens did pretty well against RG3 and Vick early in the year, held them both to 34 yards rushing in those games, but Morris broke the century mark for the Redskins against the Ravens.

lamboguy
01-22-2013, 03:37 PM
i just saw the line of the game is down to San Fran Cisco -3 1/2. the total is also down to 47 1/2.

the game should be an out and out war. both teams come to the field ready to play every game.

Stillriledup
01-22-2013, 04:08 PM
i just saw the line of the game is down to San Fran Cisco -3 1/2. the total is also down to 47 1/2.

the game should be an out and out war. both teams come to the field ready to play every game.

That's interesting, i was thinking it might go up. The total is going to go over, no way around that, this isnt going to be a low scoring game. This game could be 10-10 at halftime and still go over the total easily.

Robert Fischer
01-22-2013, 05:15 PM

Haloti Ngata may be able to drive the pile and disrupt the 49ers inside running game.
This could put a lot of pressure on the 49ers in 3rd and long passing downs. One of the keys to the game for sure.

Valuist
01-22-2013, 07:44 PM
That's interesting, i was thinking it might go up. The total is going to go over, no way around that, this isnt going to be a low scoring game. This game could be 10-10 at halftime and still go over the total easily.

I'm actually leaning under on the total. I think both teams are going to play things close to the vest. Both defenses are capable of showing up.

cj's dad
01-22-2013, 09:09 PM
I'm in shock that the 49er's are the faves with a 9 game starting QB. RUFKM?

Maximillion
01-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Imo both quarterbacks will be facing a (much) stiffer challenge than in the conference finals. I intend to watch both games again....but I could not have been more impressed with C Kap....down 17-0,facing the crowd noise,he was nearly unstoppable.....throwing with "touch" and power....imo pretty far from "adequate".

Matt Ryan was also amazing in that game (recievers were often well covered).
Wil be interesting to see if Flacco can move the football like Atlanta was able to do.

At this point Im leaning strongly to SF.

Stillriledup
01-23-2013, 02:18 AM

This isnt 1970 or 1980 anymore, you couldnt get away with that back then. This is the new NFL, you have athletic freaks like Wilson, RG3 and Kapernick who can just run wild and exhaust a defense, this is the new breed of NFL, the days of the slow footed pocket passer being the only game in town are over.

Stillriledup
01-23-2013, 02:19 AM
Imo both quarterbacks will be facing a (much) stiffer challenge than in the conference finals. I intend to watch both games again....but I could not have been more impressed with C Kap....down 17-0,facing the crowd noise,he was nearly unstoppable.....throwing with "touch" and power....imo pretty far from "adequate".

Matt Ryan was also amazing in that game (recievers were often well covered).
Wil be interesting to see if Flacco can move the football like Atlanta was able to do.

At this point Im leaning strongly to SF.

SF beat a far superior team last weekend, Atlanta came to play, their receivers are freaks and their entire team was all in mentally and physically. New England stunk and rolled over, im not sure how good of a team Baltimore beat, but i know for sure that SF beat a serious team.

JustRalph
01-23-2013, 02:29 AM
SF beat a far superior team last weekend, Atlanta came to play, their receivers are freaks and their entire team was all in mentally and physically. New England stunk and rolled over, im not sure how good of a team Baltimore beat, but i know for sure that SF beat a serious team.

Watching Atlanta collapse two games in a row makes me question the stamina of their defense. They didn't adjust well either. Those could both be coaching failures.

Watching Gonzales play was incredible. I enjoyed that.

pandy
01-23-2013, 07:11 AM

This is a big key. The NFC was clearly stronger than the AFC this year. Atlanta certainly has better and faster athletes than New England. It really is the same type of situation as last year. The Giants won the Super Bowl when they beat the 49ers. If the 49ers beat the Giants, they would've won the Super Bowl last year. But, even though I feel that San Fran is clearly the better team, the Ravens are mentally tough and Flacco's cannon right arm and proven ability to excel in the post season gives the Ravens the ability to stretch the field and hit the big strike. But Kaepernik also has a powerful arm and he can run as fast as a wide receiver.

Two big keys:

49ers have a better defense than Ravens
49ers have a better offensive line than Ravens

And personally I think Kaepernik is a freak and will prove to be a great quarterback. He's only played 9 games and he's already one of the best in the game. His first start was one of the greatest debuts by a QB in NFL history.

horses4courses
01-23-2013, 07:27 AM

Have you seen him play?
He beat out a very good QB in Alex Smith for that starter spot.
It wasn't because Smith was playing poorly, either.

Last year, Alex Smith was unlucky not to lead that 49er team to the SB.
They were barely beaten by an excellent NYG team, and would have had a good chance against the Pats.
He lost his starting place this year because of the fire and speed of Kapernick. Make no mistake - this kid is good.
The Ravens will have their work cut out to contain him.
The linesmakers got it right.

Stillriledup
01-23-2013, 02:56 PM
This is a big key. The NFC was clearly stronger than the AFC this year. Atlanta certainly has better and faster athletes than New England. It really is the same type of situation as last year. The Giants won the Super Bowl when they beat the 49ers. If the 49ers beat the Giants, they would've won the Super Bowl last year. But, even though I feel that San Fran is clearly the better team, the Ravens are mentally tough and Flacco's cannon right arm and proven ability to excel in the post season gives the Ravens the ability to stretch the field and hit the big strike. But Kaepernik also has a powerful arm and he can run as fast as a wide receiver.

Two big keys:

49ers have a better defense than Ravens
49ers have a better offensive line than Ravens

And personally I think Kaepernik is a freak and will prove to be a great quarterback. He's only played 9 games and he's already one of the best in the game. His first start was one of the greatest debuts by a QB in NFL history.

I agree, I'm fairly certain the competition that SF beat to get here was strong, im not sure i can say the same about Baltimore.

Another factor is that the games were cold weather games and Balto could have beaten 2 teams who just didnt bring their A games due to weather, if that's the case, we dont know how good Baltimore is, they may be completely outclassed in this game. I know what i'm getting with SF, but i dont know for sure what i'm getting with Balto, i just dont have any real proof they beat strong teams.

cj's dad
01-23-2013, 04:37 PM
You know what you are getting in SF ? Amazing. A QB with 9 games in the NFL vs. a QB who has set the record for most road wins in the playoffs in just 5 years and who this year in the playoffs has 8 TD's and 0 INT's.

The intangibles are Ray and maybe Reed and Matt Birk in their final year, a rejuvenated O line, a healthy D and a new OC.

Go all in and may the best team win.

Regardless, I will go to work on February 4 !!

NJ Stinks
01-23-2013, 06:01 PM
A few facts:

1. The Colts scored 3 points in the second half at Baltimore.

2. Denver's offense scored one TD in the second half - including the 16 minutes of overtime - against the Ravens defense. (The other Bronco TD in the second half came on the kickoff to start the second half.)

3. NE did not score in the second half last weekend.

To assume going in that Kaepernik is going to do what Luck, Manning, and Brady failed to do - namely rally SF to victory by either wearing out the Raven D or just by playing great from the pocket - is folly IMO. Not saying it can't be done - just saying it's not likely to happen.

Hence, SF opening at -4.5 was a surprise to me. The line has been adjusted to -3.5 now but I doubt the books would dare to go down to 3 because of the middle threat. Then there is the SF factor - money flowing into Vegas from San Fran and bet on the 49ers.

Without wishing to upset CJ's Dad :) , I was confident Obama was going to be re-elected and he was. Now I have the same feeling about the Ravens in the Super Bowl. Only this time I'm on a side with a lot more value.

pandy
01-23-2013, 06:12 PM
The line is the great equalizer. I like the 49ers and I've picked the S.B. correctly 8 of the last 10 years on my website, but the Ravens could lose and still cover, and they are certainly capable of playing a big game.

Stillriledup
01-23-2013, 07:19 PM
The line is the great equalizer. I like the 49ers and I've picked the S.B. correctly 8 of the last 10 years on my website, but the Ravens could lose and still cover, and they are certainly capable of playing a big game.

Many Super Bowls in recent memory have been nail biters, so, people are thinking "it will be a close game again". Its like the Ky Derby...if a 100 dollar horse wins, people are more likely to search for the 100 dollar horse in the next one.

SF is a far superior team to New England and yet, the Ravens are only getting 3.5 or 4 when they were getting 8 or 9 to a much worse team. Seems like you're paying a premium betting on Balto, they're finally playing a 'real team' and now they're only getting 3.5...seems like a low spread considering the boatloads of points they've been getting.

Rise Over Run
01-23-2013, 08:16 PM
The Ravens are only getting 3.5 or 4 when they were getting 8 or 9 to a much worse team. Seems like you're paying a premium betting on Balto.

In "theory", 3 to 3.5 of those points were the result of the homefield advantage for NE.

cj's dad
01-23-2013, 09:59 PM
The Monkey factor:

the ravens get the 1st monkey off their back when they beat the Colts and Luck

Then they beat the Broncs with Peyton on the field and Elway in the booth (remember he did not want to play for the Colts)

The Ravens than beat the Pats in the AFC championship game. The Ravens lost last year on a BS non call regarding the Lee Evans catch.

They are now playing a team with a rookie QB- good luck with that !!!!!

Stillriledup
01-23-2013, 10:24 PM
The Monkey factor:

the ravens get the 1st monkey off their back when they beat the Colts and Luck

Then they beat the Broncs with Peyton on the field and Elway in the booth (remember he did not want to play for the Colts)

The Ravens than beat the Pats in the AFC championship game. The Ravens lost last year on a BS non call regarding the Lee Evans catch.

They are now playing a team with a rookie QB- good luck with that !!!!!

I would agree with the 'good luck' comment if this was 1990. Not so much today in the world of the 'freak athlete'. Ravens also might need luck that CK doesnt go for 200 yards rushing either. Luck works both ways!

PhantomOnTour
01-23-2013, 10:53 PM
To be fair to Kaepernick...he's not a rookie.
He's in his 2nd year

JustRalph
01-23-2013, 11:26 PM
Jim Caldwell has made them better every week. Ravens should be fun to watch. I gotta cheer for them. Never cheer for San Francisco......ever

cj's dad
01-24-2013, 06:45 AM
Jim Caldwell has made them better every week. Ravens should be fun to watch. I gotta cheer for them. Never cheer for San Francisco......ever

Must be a homophobe ! :rolleyes:

horses4courses
01-24-2013, 08:38 AM
Must be a homophobe ! :rolleyes:

Definitely a possibility...... :rolleyes:

rastajenk
01-24-2013, 11:17 AM
More likely an erstwhile Bengals fan.

Valuist
01-24-2013, 01:14 PM

A Bengals fan could never root for the Ravens.

Robert Goren
01-24-2013, 02:01 PM
The Raven defense was supposed to be tired in its last two games from all the plays run against them. They didn't look tired too me. It looks the Ravens year to me. I will be rooting for SF, but I expect the Ravens to win. The Ravens have gotten a lot better since they changed OCs.

Stillriledup
01-24-2013, 06:19 PM
The Raven defense was supposed to be tired in its last two games from all the plays run against them. They didn't look tired too me. It looks the Ravens year to me. I will be rooting for SF, but I expect the Ravens to win. The Ravens have gotten a lot better since they changed OCs.

But, them not looking tired assumes the Patriots were a serious challenge and the altitude didnt affect them. Im thinking that the Patriots being 'soft' in this game may hinder Baltimore's chances going forward. The team with the stiff challenge from the quality opponent is set up better than cakewalking a softie. New England cakewalked a softie in Houston and look how that set them up going forward...not so good.

Houston rolling over like 'tomato cans' put us in a position where we didnt truly know how good New England was, as it turns out, not that good.

Baltimore beat a soft opponent last time, SF did not.

Food for thought.

JustRalph
01-24-2013, 07:04 PM

Ding!!! That final drive pulled off by Montana in the Super Bowl against the Bengals still hurts.

I'm not the typical Bengals fan.

I have to cheer for Baltimore in this case. I've spent some time with several Ravens players and would love to see M.Oher get a ring.

I have several friends in Baltimore who deserve to see them win. They live and breath the Ravens.

From Doctors and Nurses at the hospital I worked at, to the old school guys who go back through the history of the Colts. With these two teams, gotta go with Baltimore.

NJ Stinks
01-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Baltimore beat a soft opponent last time, SF did not.

Food for thought.

I should probably keep quiet but what fun would that be. :)

Thinking of Food (Part Deux)

SF was favored by 4 points at Atlanta while the Ravens were getting over a TD at NE. If NE was the soft opponent going in, Baltimore must be a real marshmellow. ;)

cj's dad
01-24-2013, 09:18 PM
This will be my final thought before SB 47.

I believe that I have watched every Ravens game played since their arrival in Baltimore.

I gave no chance of them making the SB after their losses towards the end of the season. Something has happened. The O line has been transformed, the D has become remarkably better. And, because of the protection of the O line re: Flacco, he has excelled. The ravens did a very good job of containing RG III. even though the R's lost.

I am predicting a 27-17 win for the R's on 2/3

Stillriledup
01-24-2013, 10:37 PM
I should probably keep quiet but what fun would that be. :)

Thinking of Food (Part Deux)

SF was favored by 4 points at Atlanta while the Ravens were getting over a TD at NE. If NE was the soft opponent going in, Baltimore must be a real marshmellow. ;)

NE was overrated going in but many of us didnt realize HOW overrated, the betting line is made out from the publics PERCEPTION of the teams, its not reality based, its just perception based and sometimes, perception gets the best of the bookies and chalkeaters.

Stillriledup
01-24-2013, 10:41 PM
This will be my final thought before SB 47.

I believe that I have watched every Ravens game played since their arrival in Baltimore.

I gave no chance of them making the SB after their losses towards the end of the season. Something has happened. The O line has been transformed, the D has become remarkably better. And, because of the protection of the O line re: Flacco, he has excelled. The ravens did a very good job of containing RG III. even though the R's lost.

I am predicting a 27-17 win for the R's on 2/3

You're thinking with your heart, but, that's ok, we all have to do that sometimes.

NJ Stinks
01-25-2013, 12:16 AM
NE was overrated going in but many of us didnt realize HOW overrated, the betting line is made out from the publics PERCEPTION of the teams, its not reality based, its just perception based and sometimes, perception gets the best of the bookies and chalkeaters.

I can't argue with your response, Stillriled.

But I'd like too! :)

rastajenk
01-25-2013, 06:39 AM
Ding!!! That was an easy one. And, contraire to Valuist's assertion, there's no bad blood between Ravens and Bengals. They share the same division, that's about it. There's no history of one team punking the other's chances for future glory, or a run of humiliating defeats, or anything else needed to rev up the hate. On the contrary, a Baltimore win makes the division better. I'm pretty sure I will be pulling for them too if it's a good, close game all the way. :jump:

Valuist
01-25-2013, 10:00 AM
That was an easy one. And, contraire to Valuist's assertion, there's no bad blood between Ravens and Bengals. They share the same division, that's about it. There's no history of one team punking the other's chances for future glory, or a run of humiliating defeats, or anything else needed to rev up the hate. On the contrary, a Baltimore win makes the division better. I'm pretty sure I will be pulling for them too if it's a good, close game all the way. :jump:

Even though they came from Cleveland? I know there's plenty of bad blood between Cincy and Cleveland.

The Bengals also took the D-C (Marvin Lewis) from the Raven's Super Bowl winning team.

gheuks
01-25-2013, 12:24 PM
The bengals didn't take Marvin Lewis from the ravens. The redskins lured Lewis from the ravens for big bucks. He was defensive coordinator there for a year or two before being hired by the bengals.

Valuist
01-25-2013, 12:29 PM
The bengals didn't take Marvin Lewis from the ravens. The redskins lured Lewis from the ravens for big bucks. He was defensive coordinator there for a year or two before being hired by the bengals.

Ok. It seemed like Lewis hadn't been with the Bengals since 2002. That makes sense although I can't remember him being with the Skins. But I wouldn't put it past Snyder to offer up big money.

gheuks
01-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Was def with the skins for at least one year. If I remember correctly, Dan Snyder gave him head coach $$$ to be defensive coordinator.