PDA

View Full Version : Horse Racing Photo Contest

Jasonm921
01-21-2013, 07:02 PM
There is a horse racing photo contest going on at the below link. There are 8 categories...all are listed under the main banner (portrait, racing, scenic ie.) Since this is our sport....take a look and vote for your favorite in each category. Voting is only once per category per person. thanks.

http://horseracingpjs.blogspot.com/

PaceAdvantage
01-22-2013, 02:14 AM
OK, call me dumb, but I don't see where to vote.

Jasonm921
01-22-2013, 07:52 AM
Under the banner are eight categories. Each one is independent.

Ted Craven
01-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Just a wonderful collection of racing photos, the beauty and excitement of the horse, the sport and its people. Thanks Jason!

One of my favourites, so far:

'Shackleford horsing around.' OR 'Tweaking the new light-weight shoes.'

http://node4.nirvanix.com/polldaddy/polldaddy/images/d8eb1dcbf076bb076e94b295a509da7c.jpg

brivolta
01-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but here is my favorite shot that I have of my filly (a mare as of Jan 1) Camagin. This was from her first work after I claimed her.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/425120_418796848162645_1193239572_n.jpg

camourous
01-22-2013, 07:48 PM
issue with this contest is it was supposed to be judged, not voted on, now its people voting on it so the people who win generally are the ones who beg for votes, another issue is i voted today and the pics i voted for still have 0 votes, not possible if i voted..

Jasonm921
01-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Its supposed to be anonymous and not pandering...I linked it up here to get volume of votes on the site to ensure a wide turnout...not on my pics. I never once said vote on a specific photos or photos. Also regarding the counted votes...did you validate your vote via your email.

davew
01-22-2013, 08:04 PM
issue with this contest is it was supposed to be judged, not voted on, now its people voting on it so the people who win generally are the ones who beg for votes, another issue is i voted today and the pics i voted for still have 0 votes, not possible if i voted..

maybe they check all isp's before posting so that no one stuffs the ballot

Jasonm921
01-22-2013, 08:07 PM
Each email is allowed one vote. Three emails from one ip address I believe.

appistappis
01-23-2013, 02:10 AM
some real nice shots....thanks for the thread.

OntheRail
01-23-2013, 05:44 AM
I know it's not caption the photo... but.

http://node4.nirvanix.com/polldaddy/polldaddy/images/d8eb1dcbf076bb076e94b295a509da7c.jpg
Shackleford...Oh my God FLUBBER SHOES!!!!

Or

The Art of Balloon Animals has really advanced... :D

Jasonm921
01-24-2013, 07:58 AM
That shot does look like a thanksgiving day balloon.

ruffian75
01-24-2013, 12:07 PM
Just to answer for the process....

Segment 1 - Open Voting to ensure fan input
Segment 2 - The Top 5 images go to the judges for placement. They are the ones with the final decision. Each judge also has the option of pulling in one photo they feel strongly may have been overlooked by the voters.

Is it the best process? Not exactly. The best process is to put three judges in a room and have them judge all the photos, but this is a first-year contest, so we are just looking for a nice turnout and to have a nice foundation to build on.

There will be a tab up shortly for Comments/Suggestions. Please, if you have ideas, share.

As to the idea of soliciting votes, we have made it clear this is not a popularity contest where the folks with the greatest Twitter or Facebook following win. Based on the software we are using, it is easy to detect "ballot stuffing" and "solicited voting". Won't go into how, but it is easy. It lead to one photographer being warned once and then their images being DQ'ed. The purpose of this contest is not to prop up someone's resume by manipulating the votes. We want the best images to win.

So far, there are a couple images that are fan favorites that may, or may not, be the most technically perfect, but they are still nice images. Overall, it looks like the voters have a pretty decent eye.

For a first-year contest with a goal of showcasing a variety horse racing image out there, this has been a solid start. We hope you agree...

Keep looking, keep sharing, and vote if you haven't done so.
(NOTE: Yes, I did enter some of my own images)