PDA

View Full Version : Golden Gate Quinella

lamboguy
01-21-2013, 05:57 PM
what happened to them? i bet 2 weeks ago there and i went to bet one there today and it didn't exist on my betting platforms, none of them. i looked at the results on equibase and they didn't show up there either..

DeltaLover
01-21-2013, 08:07 PM
what happened to them? i bet 2 weeks ago there and i went to bet one there today and it didn't exist on my betting platforms, none of them. i looked at the results on equibase and they didn't show up there either..

I still cannot understand why Quinella is not one of the most preferred bets in America's racing. I think it is a very flexible bet which in most cases if preferable to Exactas especially in the case of boxing two long shots where the payout might reach a taxable amount.

Even in the few places where such a bet is spread its pools are always a small fraction of the exacta making it less attractive if you are betting big although is same cases you can find some overlays since it usually remains less effective than the other more visible pools...

duncan04
01-22-2013, 12:26 AM

their license to allow quinellas expired last week. They took it on the first race and cancelled the rest of the races after discovering it expired

Stillriledup
01-22-2013, 01:01 AM
I think Q players need to learn to make 1 dollar exacta boxes on their 2 contenders and forget about the Q forever. Put that extra money into the exacta pools, i wouldnt mind an extra 3 or 4 grand per pool.

lamboguy
01-22-2013, 01:16 AM
their license to allow quinellas expired last week. They took it on the first race and cancelled the rest of the races after discovering it expiredwhy didn't they lose their license for trifecta's and supers?

MightBeSosa
01-22-2013, 01:42 AM
The thing about two longshots is just about the only reason to ever bet a quinella. And unless you are betting a very tiny sum, not even then.

They really should can the bet, we have enough variety on the menu now, and could do without siphoning off precious pool money into an obsolete wager.

PaceAdvantage
01-22-2013, 02:27 AM
their license to allow quinellas expired last week. They took it on the first race and cancelled the rest of the races after discovering it expiredLast week? I'm quite sure they've not been offering them since the beginning of this meeting.

plainolebill
01-22-2013, 04:09 AM
How big a problem is getting a signer for an exacta at GGF? I'm serious, I don't play track because of the exceptionally small fields so I haven't got any idea.

takeout
01-22-2013, 09:10 AM
How big a problem is getting a signer for an exacta at GGF?I don’t know, but besides the small fields you would also be playing against one of the highest exacta rakes in the country. That goes for all the California tracks.:ThmbDown: A state only a whale could love for exactas.
http://www.horseplayersassociation.org/hanatrackratingsbyexactatakeout2012.html

Ocala Mike
01-22-2013, 11:35 AM
The thing about two longshots is just about the only reason to ever bet a quinella.

Not for me; I used to be the "quinella king," specializing in those sweet situations where a big chalk beats an enormous longshot, and the $2Q pays MORE THAN the $2X. Of course, you have to play the longie to win a little in order to cover those times when your Q comes back about 1/10th of the X.

MightBeSosa
01-22-2013, 01:04 PM
Im well aware that those happen for time to time.

Ever considered that both payoffs could be gyp's?

Al Gobbi
01-22-2013, 01:17 PM
I don’t know, but besides the small fields you would also be playing against one of the highest exacta rakes in the country. That goes for all the California tracks.:ThmbDown: A state only a whale could love for exactas.
http://www.horseplayersassociation.org/hanatrackratingsbyexactatakeout2012.html

and the takeout rate on the exotics go up an additional two points on the fair circuit.

duncan04
01-22-2013, 03:00 PM
Last week? I'm quite sure they've not been offering them since the beginning of this meeting.

I remember watching TVG and they offered it on the first race and then there was a delay and they announced that quinella's were not allowed to bet the rest of the card. I may be wrong about it being last week though.

lamboguy
01-22-2013, 03:07 PM
someone told me that they need a license to take quinella's, and the track didn't pay for it.

there is some good news about this, i heard that the racebooks in nevada are now taking house quinella's on every race they run until the track q comes back.

instead of going to the superbowl in New Orleans, i think i am going to head to the dessert to play those things.

Midnight Cruiser
01-22-2013, 03:13 PM
I remember playing quinellas many years ago in Mexico and the formula they would use to compute the quinella payoff was half the place price X the win price.

This was before computers and they would actually write out your bet on a carbon copy tablet, hand you a copy and keep 3 or 4 copies for the house or the Caliente boys or whoever...

Ocala Mike
01-22-2013, 04:00 PM
House quinellas? Do they still have those in Vegas?

HUSKER55
01-22-2013, 04:40 PM
hey guys, I don't understand this. If you want to bet a place ticket then bet your exacta in reverse. A quinella bet is just another way for the track to rake in more money.

where am I wrong?

thanks!

lamboguy
01-22-2013, 04:56 PM
hey guys, I don't understand this. If you want to bet a place ticket then bet your exacta in reverse. A quinella bet is just another way for the track to rake in more money.

where am I wrong?

thanks!
some races have 2 win factors that you can't separate. with house q's you are almost making 2 different win bets with only one ticket. if you are any good at that you can destroy the house.

betting on track q's is a different story because the more you bet on a combination the less your payoff is going to be.

just an example which i happened to have played years ago were the 2 horses LURE and COZZENE. they ran 1-2 about 8 straight times. one time one of the hoses paid $11 to win, i got the win plus the place bonus for the house Q

HUSKER55
01-22-2013, 06:19 PM
thank you lamboguy!

davew
01-22-2013, 07:50 PM
it is another pool -> sometimes $2Q pay more than $1 ExBox

Q only hurts a little when longshot wins and big fav comes 2nd

Ocala Mike
01-22-2013, 10:05 PM
What I said above, davew.

Actually, the $2 Q OFTEN pays more than the $1 X box, and SOMETIMES even pays more than the $2 X.

MightBeSosa
01-22-2013, 10:27 PM
Exactas are paying 18 with the Fave on top and 80 with the longshot winning.

How much should the Q pay?

Ans.___________

Ocala Mike
01-22-2013, 11:41 PM
OK, I'll play. Without knowing anything else, I would guess in the range $13-$16.

davew
01-23-2013, 06:58 AM
$35-45

Ocala Mike
01-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Nice! Where and when did that happen? I'm guessing a very thin pool (obviously) which can easily give rise to these type of situations.

Or is that just your guess?

MightBeSosa
01-23-2013, 10:16 PM
OK, I'll play. Without knowing anything else, I would guess in the range $13-$16.

Good guess. 14.70 is the correct answer.

Interesting , so little response.

PS, there's nothing forcing fair value, and few payoffs will be exactly 'right', and some will be way off. If you LIKED the combos that were generous, it would be a better play than the exacta.

I've never really bothered with it, have more than enough to watch, but may add it to my arsenal as time permits.

pondman
01-30-2013, 08:00 PM
I don’t know, but besides the small fields
Your going to need to go against a Super jock who will create negative expectation for most 2 horse combos. GGF is highly playable if you've got a single with a horse not ridden by Baze. Don't know how you do it without sitting on the sideline for 80% of the races. It's a favorite of mine, high return, but limited play.