PDA

View Full Version : i don't understand

lamboguy
01-21-2013, 01:29 PM
i see horses that are stabled in New York that are running in Laurel and Parx today that have the same conditions going on in New York either today or within 3 days. i know it must cost about $600 to ship those horses back and forth to run in those places and the purses are less.

when you are stabled in New York you don't pay for your horses there. why would anyone go somewhere else? and why would New York allow those horses to leave and come back to their track?

PhantomOnTour
01-21-2013, 01:32 PM
NY drug rules aren't as permissive as other states....the short answer is,
they wanna win :D

lamboguy
01-21-2013, 01:39 PM
they wanna win :Dis that fair to the customers that follow these places and chase those horses? how can a bettor protect their money with all these cross -currents coming at them from all sides?

Tom
01-21-2013, 02:04 PM
The bettors are not considered in the equation.

cj
01-21-2013, 02:11 PM
i see horses that are stabled in New York that are running in Laurel and Parx today that have the same conditions going on in New York either today or within 3 days. i know it must cost about $600 to ship those horses back and forth to run in those places and the purses are less.

when you are stabled in New York you don't pay for your horses there. why would anyone go somewhere else? and why would New York allow those horses to leave and come back to their track?

A couple examples?

lamboguy
01-21-2013, 02:24 PM
A couple examples?5th at Parx #6 for Galuscio, just ran out @ 2/5 in bottom 2 life conditon which could be tougher than the bottom in Aqueduct now. i didn't understand her getting bet that way either!

Hushion had one in today at Laurel 4th. 1x for straight filly 3 year olds. that one ran out as well @2-1. this race looked much tougher than the one she ran in last time in New York as well!

therussmeister
01-21-2013, 04:25 PM
At that level, Parx has bigger purses.

lamboguy
01-21-2013, 04:33 PM
At that level, Parx has bigger purses.its $20,000 in New York and only $18,000 in Parx and it cost money to ship the horses back and forth.

pele polo
01-21-2013, 04:40 PM

I've seen a lot of this during the winter as well and also don't understand it. Furthermore, it doesn't always equal success even when they go off as the favorite or even odds on.

With the short fields compounded by many scratches I'm also curious as to why they allow these horses to ship out. Many other tracks have some strict rules regarding that.

Maybe Phantom on Tour has a point though.

therussmeister
01-21-2013, 07:20 PM
its $20,000 in New York and only $18,000 in Parx and it cost money to ship the horses back and forth.
I thought the race in question was $7,500 claiming, which would not be for $20,000 in New York, if they ran them.

lamboguy
01-21-2013, 10:13 PM
I thought the race in question was $7,500 claiming, which would not be for $20,000 in New York, if they ran them. they are both bottom races. the horses aren't to different in either place.

they may not let the Gulluscio horse back in New York after he ran in Parx today unless he had permission from the racing secretary to run there. he might have sent the horse there to get claimed and that is what happened.

thespaah
01-21-2013, 11:53 PM
I thought the race in question was $7,500 claiming, which would not be for $20,000 in New York, if they ran them.
Checked the current condition book. Lowest claiming race price is $12,500.

thespaah
01-21-2013, 11:56 PM
they are both bottom races. the horses aren't to different in either place.

they may not let the Gulluscio horse back in New York after he ran in Parx today unless he had permission from the racing secretary to run there. he might have sent the horse there to get claimed and that is what happened.I checked the horsemen's area of the NYRA website. Could not find rules for horses stabled on the grounds regarding shipping out to race elsewhere.
Some tracks such as Delaware Park, put those rules in the front pages of the Condition Book.

sammy the sage
01-22-2013, 07:06 AM
1st...trainer's GET paid regardless...so cost is NO object...

2nd...some owner's just WIN baby...even if they GET less..

turninforhome10
01-22-2013, 07:31 AM

Keep yourself in good company and your horses in bad. Or in this case, put your fire sale horse in with bad horses, where he stands out to potential claimants. Take a look at how many of theses NY horses that ship to Parx actually win and how many times they have went off as the chalk. ROI. If you get some of the purse, great. If not you go home with an empty trailer and claiming money. Would you spend 600 to make 7500?

burnsy
01-22-2013, 08:52 AM
they wanna win :D
he is right on. this is the point in the aqueduct meet where you get 5 and 6 horse fields where about two of the horses have a chance to win and they run them every other week. its sort of like harness racing, look at the prices yesterday or for weeks now. usually theres a big chalk and a strong second choice....one of the two wins a lions share of the races........so if you don't have the 4-5 shot, you get the one that pays between 5 and 9 bucks, the rest are running for purse money. IMO this is the worst time to be betting aqueduct and if you have a cheap horse thats not that good....you have no shot because the one that won or placed last week or the week before is going to be hammered and will most likely win. the day before two jockeys won 7 of the races and it was a virtual "chalk parade"....if you don't have the right horse you might as well try somewhere else or go home.

onefast99
01-23-2013, 04:01 PM
NYRA sent out a memo today that if you plan on running a horse out of town and it isn't approved by the racing office the horse won't be allowed to come back to NY. They heard you loud and clear lambo!

lamboguy
01-23-2013, 05:53 PM
NYRA sent out a memo today that if you plan on running a horse out of town and it isn't approved by the racing office the horse won't be allowed to come back to NY. They heard you loud and clear lambo!i told you those guys in New York are very sharp

PaceAdvantage
01-23-2013, 06:20 PM
NYRA sent out a memo today that if you plan on running a horse out of town and it isn't approved by the racing office the horse won't be allowed to come back to NY. They heard you loud and clear lambo! This isn't a new policy...correct me if I'm wrong...

thespaah
01-23-2013, 06:41 PM
NYRA sent out a memo today that if you plan on running a horse out of town and it isn't approved by the racing office the horse won't be allowed to come back to NY. They heard you loud and clear lambo!
Good. I think tracks should have every right to protect themselves and the integrity of the field sizes.

lamboguy
01-23-2013, 06:47 PM
i'll give you another one that goes on in racetracks, some guys know the entries as they come in everyday. if there is a horse that enters that they don't think they can beat they don't enter their horse and wait for a better spot without taking a 10 day penalty for scratching.

Brogan
01-23-2013, 07:57 PM
i'll give you another one that goes on in racetracks, some guys know the entries as they come in everyday. if there is a horse that enters that they don't think they can beat they don't enter their horse and wait for a better spot without taking a 10 day penalty for scratching.
We have been on the other side of that situation. Had a horse with conditions that we wanted to make the best use of, but were afraid that those "in the know" would avoid us and possibly keep the number of entries too low for the track to use the race. We had to play a waiting game and make our entry at the very last moment, and hope that we hadn't waited too long and wind up getting shut out.

mountainman
01-23-2013, 11:40 PM

In the end, though, they still need the horses. That's why such proclamations aren't issued from a position of strength and rarely stick. Most racing secretaries huff and puff about the dire consequences of shipping a horse elsewhere (one ohio track in particular has a history of making ludicrous threats), but end up sounding more desperate than intimidating. It's a horsemen's market.

Another thing that makes this type of policy ineffective is that certain barns have just too much clout to be treated like that. And selective enforcement makes for bad law.

onefast99
01-24-2013, 08:07 AM
This isn't a new policy...correct me if I'm wrong...
You are correct but it looks as if this memo that went out was one of those friendly reminders!

turninforhome10
01-24-2013, 08:30 AM
Entries are supposed to blind. So what you are saying here is that someone in the racing office is tipping to certain trainers? That would cause some pretty big legal problems. That is a problem that is not only unethical, but very illegal.I have seen agents play games when it comes to the draw and post positions, but what you are talking is cause for lawsuits.