PDA

View Full Version : "Stuck Horse" Vanned Off.

TheEdge07
01-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Im a member of National Turf and i came across this piece of information.

Bob also knew and divulged 5/2 (9th) favorite Kenichi was STUCK in the race (trainer wanted to scratch him) and threw him out. Users got a $74.60 exacta and what Kenichi got was a van ride back to his barn after being eased.

Crucial piece of information."Stuck" horses is it available to the public?
Kenichi was vanned off.

jeebus1083
01-21-2013, 09:10 AM
That's a first. He might have had some inside dope.

TheEdge07
01-21-2013, 09:20 AM
I really and truly hope that I’m not outsmarting myself in the nitecap. There were three "stuck horses" in this race. At the time of this writing, Storming Kentucky was one of them and is out of the race. Priddis Wildcat and second choice Kenichi are also stuck. For whatever reason, their trainers have applied for a scratch, but as of 11:30 a.m., the stewards have not authorized the scratch and they may run. If either wins or runs well, I’m only passing along the right information to you. If I didn’t know the "stuck" factor for this race was true, I wouldn’t mention it. It’s for what it’s worth to you.
From his website-3 horses were so called "stuck",Storming Kentucky was out,Priddis Wildcat & Kenichi were "stuck"

http://secure.nationalturf.com/images/pdf.png (http://secure.nationalturf.com/picks/download.php/selvin_2013-01-20.pdf)
View PDF read below.
(http://secure.nationalturf.com/picks/download.php/selvin_2013-01-20.pdf)

Brogan
01-21-2013, 09:21 AM
Crucial piece of information."Stuck" horses is it available to the public?
Kenichi was vanned off.
I have never heard of this info being widely available.

Horses get "stuck" in races all the time. Often the connections don't like the competition they draw, the post position, or the track condition. Sometimes you can't get the rider you wanted and feel you'd do better another day. "They" (the stewards) won't let you scratch for those reasons unless you have a full field since they hate having races "fall apart."

That being said, if there is a legitimate physical reason for the horse to scratch, illness, lameness, old tendon injury and the track comes up sloppy, etc, any reasonable track will let you out. As a last and final resort, you can just not show up in the paddock and take the fine.

Rise Over Run
01-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Kenichi got was a van ride back to his barn after being eased.

Actually, he got a ride back to his "new" barn as he was claimed out of the race for $12.5k.

Stillriledup
01-21-2013, 12:53 PM
I boxed against that horse and had the winner, didnt like Kenachi, he was a horse who 'swells up' when handed an easy lead (like last time) but when he's in a battle, he quits (like 2 back) i just hoped he got into a battle, the price was wrong as i didnt think he would get an easy lead but anyway, that's great info to have that the connections want to scratch and dont for one reason or another.

MightBeSosa
01-21-2013, 02:18 PM
When the stuck horse beats ya, do you say, "That stucks".

Fact is, stucks are probably public info. It was many years ago, but you usually had to be at the track to get it, not widely published.

Since no one goes to the track anymore......

mountainman
01-21-2013, 03:49 PM
Sometimes give "stuck" info out on air, but stuck horses rarely make the gate these days. Trainers find it too easy to get a vet slip, and if worse comes to worse, would much rather eat a fine than participate against their will. Thus the main usefulness of knowing which horses are stuck is to save time and effort of factoring them into handicapping process. And the only way I can think of to access this info is to call the racing office after scratch time or call switchboard and ask for "scratch line," on which some tracks give out stuck horses along with scratches and draw ins.

As an official, I consider this public info.

jeebus1083
02-07-2013, 11:46 AM
I called the NYRA racing office asking for "stuck" horse info, and they acted as if I had lobsters crawling out of my ears...

mountainman
02-07-2013, 01:27 PM
I called the NYRA racing office asking for "stuck" horse info, and they acted as if I had lobsters crawling out of my ears...

Racing officials tend to see players as a nuisance. Since many have never played horses themselves, they just can't relate. Mining for a glimmer of interest in the game-which, in my opinion, is crucial to being a good official-I sometimes throw applicants a curve by asking how many ky derby winners they can name. And if I look out from my inner office and see a recent hire watching the monitor and taking an interest in the races, I know we've got a keeper.

My criteria for prospective officials sits in stark contrast to old-school policy that (ex-trainers perhaps excepted) nearly demanded an applicant had never placed a bet and found the crew staring nervously at paperwork and averting their eyes from the television while a race was underway.

As a devoted player with a bad boy reputation, I caught a rare break just to be hired back in 1989, and it took a long time to convince former management that an avid handicapper could be an asset in the racing office. The were skeptical of me and my background for YEARS. I just didn't fit the mold.

Aner
02-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Racing officials tend to see players as a nuisance. Since many have never played horses themselves, they just can't relate. Mining for a glimmer of interest in the game-which, in my opinion, is crucial to being a good official-I sometimes throw applicants a curve by asking how many ky derby winners they can name. And if I look out from my inner office and see a recent hire watching the monitor and taking an interest in the races, I know we've got a keeper.

My criteria for prospective officials sits in stark contrast to old-school policy that (ex-trainers perhaps excepted) nearly demanded an applicant had never placed a bet and found the crew staring nervously at paperwork and averting their eyes from the television while a race was underway.

As a devoted player with a bad boy reputation, I caught a rare break just to be hired back in 1989, and it took a long time to convince former management that an avid handicapper could be an asset in the racing office. The were skeptical of me and my background for YEARS. I just didn't fit the mold.

Your mention of how hard it is to change the status quo, reminded me of this story. As written it applies to congressmen, but it fits racing officials too.

Psychology 101

If you start with a cage containing five monkeys and inside the cage, hang a
banana on a string from the top and then you place a set of stairs under the
banana, before long a monkey will go to the stairs and climb toward the banana.

As soon as he touches the stairs, you spray all the other monkeys with cold water.

After a while another monkey makes an attempt with same result ... all the other
monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon when another monkey tries to
climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it.

Now, put the cold water away.

Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one.

The new monkey sees the banana and attempts to climb the stairs.To his shock, all
of the other monkeys beat the crap out of him. After another attempt and
attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs he will be assaulted.

Next, remove another of the original five monkeys, replacing it with a new one.

The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part
in the punishment...... with enthusiasm, because he is now part of the "team".

Then, replace a third original monkey with a new one, followed by the fourth, then
the fifth. Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs he is attacked.

Now, the monkeys that are beating him up have no idea why they were not permitted
to climb the stairs. Neither do they know why they are participating in the
beating of the newest monkey.

Finally, having replaced all of the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys
will have ever been sprayed with cold water. Nevertheless, not one of the
monkeys will try to climb the stairway for the banana.

Why, you ask? Because in their minds...that is the way it has always been!

This, my friends, is how Congress operates... and this is why, from time to time:
All of the monkeys need to be replaced at the same time!

Elliott Sidewater
02-07-2013, 06:37 PM
At Parx on the bulletin board outside the racing sec'y's office I've seen the day's overnight marked up with the word "stuck". It was awhiletime ago, not sure if that info would still be there. But only someone with a license could get back there to see it, so the general public would still be in the dark, as usual. There are so many program scratches at Parx that I doubt there are a lot of stuck horses who aren't allowed out of a race. The trainer can just report the horse sick and the only downside is that you can't enter for 5 days. A last resort is not showing up in the paddock, that'll cost you a $200 fine.

tbwinner
02-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Are we sure the horse was really "STUCK" and the trainer didn't intend to lose via the claim box a sore or broken-down horse?

I don't know much about this trainer mostly because I don't follow SoCal racing, but the gradual stepdowns seem like a red flag to me.

PICSIX
02-08-2013, 07:00 AM
Your mention of how hard it is to change the status quo, reminded me of this story. As written it applies to congressmen, but it fits racing officials too.

Psychology 101

If you start with a cage containing five monkeys and inside the cage, hang a
banana on a string from the top and then you place a set of stairs under the
banana, before long a monkey will go to the stairs and climb toward the banana.

As soon as he touches the stairs, you spray all the other monkeys with cold water.

After a while another monkey makes an attempt with same result ... all the other
monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon when another monkey tries to
climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it.

Now, put the cold water away.

Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one.

The new monkey sees the banana and attempts to climb the stairs.To his shock, all
of the other monkeys beat the crap out of him. After another attempt and
attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs he will be assaulted.

Next, remove another of the original five monkeys, replacing it with a new one.

The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part
in the punishment...... with enthusiasm, because he is now part of the "team".

Then, replace a third original monkey with a new one, followed by the fourth, then
the fifth. Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs he is attacked.

Now, the monkeys that are beating him up have no idea why they were not permitted
to climb the stairs. Neither do they know why they are participating in the
beating of the newest monkey.

Finally, having replaced all of the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys
will have ever been sprayed with cold water. Nevertheless, not one of the
monkeys will try to climb the stairway for the banana.

Why, you ask? Because in their minds...that is the way it has always been!

This, my friends, is how Congress operates... and this is why, from time to time:
All of the monkeys need to be replaced at the same time!

AMEN :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

so.cal.fan
02-10-2013, 10:23 AM
It's a good reason to avoid short fields.

Maryland Owner
02-10-2013, 12:00 PM

I started betting MNR when I discovered your simulcast show with Nancy. I would not even think of placing a bet at MNR without your commentary. Your show is an essential handicapping tool for betting MNR. So, kudos to the MNR who made the decision to hire you sooooo many years ago !

mountainman
02-10-2013, 02:05 PM
I started betting MNR when I discovered your simulcast show with Nancy. I would not even think of placing a bet at MNR without your commentary. Your show is an essential handicapping tool for betting MNR. So, kudos to the MNR who made the decision to hire you sooooo many years ago !

Tx very much, sir. Nancy and I have been doing the show since it was launched in 2000. I've been an official since 1989, but have been wagering since (literally) childhood. Nancy made her bones as a trainer before becoming an analyst.