PDA

View Full Version : STAN 'THE MAN' MUSIAL R.I.P.

dartman51
01-20-2013, 12:54 AM
Stan Musial, my childhood hero, dead at 92. A great man, and a great ball player. Thoughts and prayers to the family. :ThmbUp:

PhantomOnTour
01-20-2013, 12:58 AM
Terrible news.
A true great player

Johnny V
01-20-2013, 04:57 AM
A great player and a credit to the game. Stan the Man was a true Hall of Famer that was a good example to the youth of this country. His hitting records speak for themselves. R.I.P

JustRalph
01-20-2013, 05:26 AM
The museum beneath Busch stadium was practically a shrine to him. It was a great tour. Not sure if they kept it in the new stadium

20+ time all star

Played his last game against the Reds. He went 2 for 2 and was pulled in the 4 th inning after the 2 nd hit.

His last hit went between 1st and 2nd just past the outstretched glove of a new hotshot 2nd baseman for the Reds. That 2nd baseman retrieved the ball from right field and presented it to Stan on 1st base.

Pete Rose was the 2nd baseman

Valuist
01-20-2013, 10:56 AM
In 1973, my family happened to be in St. Louis one weekend and we stopped for dinner at Musial's restaurant. Biggie's, I believe, was its name. Musial wasn't usually there but that night he was. I approached him for an autograph, which he gladly obliged. He couldn't have been more accommodating. RIP.

Robert Fischer
01-20-2013, 11:07 AM
the Donora Dandy

Rookies
01-20-2013, 12:09 PM
When I was a kid and TV began broadcasting baseball I was hooked on the Yankees. (Note: I flagellate myself daily for that sin and offer the fact that the Blue Jays had 14 years to be born post Musial's final year and the Expos 6!)

However, I was not an NL fan and missed Musial's entire career until visiting it much later in life. He seems such a rare anomaly today- a great professional sports athlete and an equally good human being.

Costas said it best: "All Musial represents is more than two decades of sustained excellence and complete decency as a human being."

JustRalph
01-20-2013, 04:25 PM
http://usat.ly/Ve8G6J

Amazing numbers

dnlgfnk
01-20-2013, 06:56 PM
In 1973, my family happened to be in St. Louis one weekend and we stopped for dinner at Musial's restaurant. Biggie's, I believe, was its name. Musial wasn't usually there but that night he was. I approached him for an autograph, which he gladly obliged. He couldn't have been more accommodating. RIP.

I have met my family often by Stan's statue before a Card's game.

One of Stan's best lines was regarding how to make a million in the restaurant business..."Start out with two million".

Valuist
01-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Reminded me of one of baseball's great nicknames; Don Stanhouse, a reliever for the Orioles around the late 70s/early 80s: Stan the Man Unusual.

cj
01-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Reminded me of one of baseball's great nicknames; Don Stanhouse, a reliever for the Orioles around the late 70s/early 80s: Stan the Man Unusual.

I think Earl Weaver called him "Full Pack" because he said he'd go through one when Stanhouse was pitching.

Shemp Howard
01-24-2013, 08:41 PM
A Dodger pitcher was asked what's the best way to get Musial out.

He replied "throw him 4 wide ones and then try and pick him off first base."